Q-bert: The Roy Hibbert Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,832

Re: [HIBBERT THREAD PLACEHOLDER NAME]: The Roy Hibbert Thread 

Post#61 » by Diop » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:27 am

Makes me believe that the starting job still up for grabs is all about motivating Hibbert. Lets him know that they still see him as starter quality.

This seems like the best situation for Roy, he's with his mentor and while we haven't had much success at developing rookies, Clifford seems to do well at restarting careers.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,649

Post#62 » by yosemiteben » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:49 pm

For those with the time and interest, here is all of Roy Hibbert's blocks from the 2014-15 season - http://on.nba.com/2dnIvZm

Not going to act like I'm watching them all, but it is interesting to watch how he moved in IND's defensive system. He does seem to have a great feel for when to leave his man and how to recover. He practically never leaves the paint on D though, and doesn't hedge on the PNR.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 825

Post#63 » by Pacersike » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:33 am

I believe Roy Hibbert is going to have a great season.

He has always been a guy of ups and downs and LA was definitely a down.
On the Pacers he was one of the players who cared the most about winning. Put him on the Lakers with Kobe on his farewell tour and a bunch of rookies and sophs, you get less effort from the guy. Less effort and his low mobility gives you bad stats.
But I'm sure that being a part of that fun Kobe Lakers show without high pressure last season has done him well and with his new contract the mental pressure won't be as high either, so I think he could turn out to be one of the best bargain contracts in the league.

He is a great rim protector to have in limited minutes against bench centers or centers who can't really shoot. :)

fatlever wrote:Rebound and then Fall Down - The Roy Hibbert...

I'm leaning towards the second one.

I'm leaning towards:

Falling down while selfish teammates steal my rebound - The Roy Hibbert Thread
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 825

Post#64 » by Pacersike » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:17 am

LamarMatic7 wrote:He got blasted for not rebounding while he actually was good at boxing out his own man, securing the paint and letting guys like Lance fly in and scoop up their own boards (and as we all know about Lance, he's not shy about stealing rebounds from teammates). Indiana usually rebounded better with Hibbert on the floor.

Ya, those actions are at least equally important as getting the rebound, especially when it all happened by design of the coach.
Lance and PG are very good rebounders and were supposed to get those defensive rebounds while Hibbert had other duties first.

Is he a good rebounder for his size? No, but he can have better rebounding stats if would have to protect the rim less and would be more selfish like players as Lance and Julius Randle. Rebounding is a team activity and if with Hibbert on the court teammates can become better rebounders, I don't really see the problem.

The Pacers had subpar rebounders like David West and Roy at the 4 and 5 and were still a top 5 rebounding team. Charlotte has lengthy wings like Batum and MKG and Kemba who was a better rebounder than George Hill last season. It might happen they they will rebound better with Hibbert on the floor and to be honest, I prefer to have a rim protector who makes his teammates better rebounders than a center who can't really protect the rim but fills the stat sheet with rebounds. There is a reason that Al Jefferson gets called a empty stats player.

Anyway, I hope they both play really well this year :D
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,832

Post#65 » by Diop » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:28 am

I can see Clifford loving it if mkg or batum could snag the rebounds and start running. If Hibbert contributes to that, it will be great
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,618

Post#66 » by fatlever » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:27 pm

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nba/charlotte-hornets/article108056047.html

"You’ll be surprised how good a basketball player he is on offense," Kupchak told Clifford.

"He can really pass, which I didn’t realize," Clifford said Thursday. "He’s got a feel for the game. He knows how to play. And you see it more around here every day."

"Offense will come. But defense was the biggest thing we talked about when I signed here," Hibbert said. "Coach watched a lot of film of me from last year and the year before. He knows what I can do: clog up the lane as much as possible (defensively) and help the offense."

"His presence inside at the defensive end is huge, and that’s right down coach’s alley with (Clifford)’s defensive background," Zeller said.

"He’s such a big body, so his duck-ins in the post are so hard to defend. And we’ve got such good passers. Nic and Kemba (Walker) are going to find him. He’s going to help us a lot this year."
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,104

Post#67 » by JDR720 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:29 pm

yea, Roy is going to start.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,147

Post#68 » by Braggins » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:35 pm

ugh...
Joest2003
Analyst
And1: 1,234

Post#69 » by Joest2003 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:58 pm

So essentially Hibbert will be starting because hes bigger than Zeller.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#70 » by HornetJail » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:15 am

Two positives here: 1) if Cody isn't in game shape due to his injury, he can take a lesser role at the beginning and play his way into game shape and 2) if Cody comes off the bench the whole year, his next contract will be cheaper for sure.

In terms of actual basketball, it makes no sense unless we're up against someone like Whiteside, Cousins, or the like
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
euphorbus
Analyst
And1: 1,480

Post#71 » by euphorbus » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:46 am

MotorKeepsGoing wrote:Two positives here: 1) if Cody isn't in game shape due to his injury, he can take a lesser role at the beginning and play his way into game shape and 2) if Cody comes off the bench the whole year, his next contract will be cheaper for sure.

In terms of actual basketball, it makes no sense unless we're up against someone like Whiteside, Cousins, or the like.

Try telling that to Coach Clifford. The starting lineup with Hibbert has been pretty bad so far. I just hope it improves while Zeller regains his health and mobility. It's early, but the worst net ratings on the team are Michael, Marvin, Roy, Nicolas, and Kemba, in ascending order. At least there were signs of life in the second half of the last game.
Joest2003
Analyst
And1: 1,234

Post#72 » by Joest2003 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:38 am

Now that I think of it Whiteside scorched us in the playoffs. If we had someone to defend him better we would have easily won that series. Cody was just no match for him it was hard to watch at times.
BatumtheGlue
Starter
And1: 441

Post#73 » by BatumtheGlue » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:56 am

If only we play in slower pace like the Pacers this big black stiff will blossom, unfortunately we don't... This guy should play off the bench.
Mamut menteng ureh utusku, isen mulang jite penyangku.
Credit to amcoolio for the signature .gif.
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#74 » by Eoghan » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:21 am

I wonder how many games before the guards stop passing to Hibbert b/c he just takes charmin soft hook shots instead of using his giant body to bang in the paint?

I give it 2 weeks...
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach
And1: 868

Post#75 » by UNCNYC » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:29 am

Off topic but we can call him/his thread "Q-bert" the Q is for question mark since he is new here and we don't know what he is going to give this franchise
UPDATED 2-18-2024

These are my top five for who I want with pick #1 in order

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,649

Post#76 » by yosemiteben » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:28 pm

I like Q-bert, well done.
LamarMatic7
Hornets Forum High-End Journalist
And1: 2,351

Post#77 » by LamarMatic7 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:45 pm

I was ecstatic about a supposed DJ QBert reference. Then I googled and found out about the game.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#78 » by HornetJail » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:43 pm

Q-Bert :lol: I like it.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,147

Post#79 » by Braggins » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:23 am

Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#80 » by Eoghan » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:01 pm

^typical Hibbert, afraid of contact. No wonder he can't rebound.

Return to Charlotte Hornets