ImageImage

Hornets 2016-17 Preseason

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

TinmanZBoy
Head Coach
And1: 4,717

Re: Hornets 2016-17 Preseason 

Post#161 » by TinmanZBoy » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:38 pm

hood30 wrote:I think Charlotte will miss Jefferson ability to draw double team and create open shot, the most...I know he was slow and missed 2 dozen games, but with this inside scoring gone, that puts more pressure on Kemba to have a better year than last year.

Not just Kemba needs to score and keep last year efficiency, but guys like Marvin can't slip statistically and that was Marvin's career year.

All that could be eased a bit if Batum scores more..At his pay-level, you'll need much more scoring from Batum..I'll say 17-18ppg...14-15 point per game may not do it.

As for Lin, I think Session will be able to replace Lin's back-up minutes at PG but they will miss Lin versatility which offered Clifford the ability to play 2 point guard for quite a few minutes...Lin was able to play alongside Kemba very well and I'm not sure Session can do that since he's a lesser defender and a weaker shooter from beyond the arc.

Session is also PG oriented while Lin is more combo guard and looks comfortable off the ball, so Charlotte loses the double-pick n roll- sets they had going with Lin/Kemba that was so successful.

My final prediction is the Hornets doesn't surpass last year win totals but may win between35-40 games....They gain MKG defense but so far, from what I've seen from MKG, he will hurt court spacing.

you predict the Nets to win 41 in Nets forum... and predict the Hornets, a team with a much better roster, to win 35-40 games?
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,613

Post#162 » by fatlever » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:40 pm

Anonymous scout talks about some Hornets

http://swarmandsting.com/2016/10/20/anonymous-nba-scout-shares-inside-thoughts-charlotte-hornets/

On Kemba Walker:

Anonymous NBA Scout: “A big part of it was that they changed the way they played. When ­Jefferson was playing with his butt on the post, they were throwing it in and cutting off. That’s not Kemba’s game. Kemba needs a high pick. Then they installed Cody Zeller. Walker had his best games when Zeller was on the floor and they were running pick-and-roll while spacing the floor.”

On Jeremy Lamb:

Anonymous NBA Scout: “Why are they bringing Marco Belinelli in? They must not be high on Jeremy Lamb. You see flashes with Lamb, then he disappears. It seems like he doesn’t have a strong motor, even though he has good skills.”

On Frank Kaminsky:

Anonymous NBA Scout: “As he gets stronger, Frank Kaminsky’s asset will be his shooting—being able to stretch the floor as a four. He’s not a center—he has small shoulders, he’s thin, he doesn’t have the strength. Once he starts making shots, he’ll be pretty good for them.”
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#163 » by fatlever » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:03 pm

Bobby Marks speculation NBA cuts

Hornets

Charlotte (13)
Insider info: With little separation among six players fighting for two spots, Charlotte can choose from familiarity (Aaron Harrison), defense (Treveon Graham), shooting (Rasheed Sulaimon) or another big (Mike Tobey).

With Marvin Williams’ broken finger and Cody Zeller just returning from injury, the Hornets could be forced to carry an extra big.

On the bubble: Aaron Harrison (non-guaranteed); Treveon Graham ($75,000 guaranteed)

Likely waived: Rasheed Sulaimon (non-guaranteed); Perry Ellis (non-guaranteed); Mike Tobey ($75,000 guaranteed)

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/front-office-insider-final-roster-cuts-154356178.html
euphorbus
Analyst
And1: 1,480

Post#164 » by euphorbus » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:42 pm

fatlever wrote:With Marvin Williams’ broken finger and Cody Zeller just returning from injury, the Hornets could be forced to carry an extra big.

That is exactly what needs to happen. Those bone bruises are nasty, and forcing oneself--or being forced--into action risks an actual fracture of the bone. I have already put forth my favorite player as a candidate, but who knows what the Hornets have in mind?
Mystical Apples
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,349

Post#165 » by Mystical Apples » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:45 pm

fatlever wrote:Bobby Marks speculation NBA cuts

Hornets

Charlotte (13)
Insider info: With little separation among six players fighting for two spots, Charlotte can choose from familiarity (Aaron Harrison), defense (Treveon Graham), shooting (Rasheed Sulaimon) or another big (Mike Tobey).

With Marvin Williams’ broken finger and Cody Zeller just returning from injury, the Hornets could be forced to carry an extra big.

On the bubble: Aaron Harrison (non-guaranteed); Treveon Graham ($75,000 guaranteed)

Likely waived: Rasheed Sulaimon (non-guaranteed); Perry Ellis (non-guaranteed); Mike Tobey ($75,000 guaranteed)

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/front-office-insider-final-roster-cuts-154356178.html

The notion of Harrison occupying a roster spot for a 2nd year is perplexing. Maybe as trade filler but that's not a justifiable reason.
geometry
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Re: RE: Re: Hornets 2016-17 Preseason 

Post#166 » by BlackOutBuzz » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:35 pm

fatlever wrote:Bobby Marks speculation NBA cuts

Hornets

Charlotte (13)

Posted something similar in my diatribe on the Swarm thread. I could see them keeping Harrison but I think it'd be at the expense of Graham, not Tobey, they need more big bodies. I'm sticking with my Graham/Tobey prediction though.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Hornets Picks by Year
2021: Bouknight, Jones, Thor, Lewis

Protection on future 1st* (to NYK); 2nds
2022: 1-18; CHA (31-55), TOR 2 (55-60)
2023: 1-16; BOS (GH)
2024: 1-14; BOS (GH)
2025: 1-14; CHA (31-55)
*Becomes two 2nds if unconveyed
euphorbus
Analyst

Post#167 » by euphorbus » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:46 am

Right now, we are missing:

1) Our starting center from last year, Cody Zeller (long-term)
2) Our starting power forward from last year, Marvin Williams (although not for too long)
3) Our backup power forward from last year, Frank Kaminsky (duration unknown)

Unless Kaminsky recovers by Wednesday, the only bigs with experience left for opening day are Roy Hibbert and Spencer Hawes. The others, Tobey and Wood, are rookies and clearly not ready for the NBA. I would love to see Hansbrough back, but perhaps a trade is in the making, instead.
euphorbus
Analyst

Post#168 » by euphorbus » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:54 am

In case anyone wonders about the potency of the Hornets' offense in the absence of Cody Zeller and the players lost to free agency, the team finished dead last in the pre-season in FG%, at 38.2%, and 3-point FG%, at 25.6%. They did, however, beat out the Milwaukee Bucks for the lowest points per game, at 91.7.

Only two players who appeared in more than three games cracked 40% shooting: Jeremy Lamb, at a respectable 47%, and Christian Wood, at 45.5%.
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,521

Post#169 » by Bassman » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:20 pm

This team is in trouble starting the season, and may still be when everyone is back. Doesn't take much to slide back 10 to 12 games in the win column (my prediction).
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
Mystical Apples
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,349

Post#170 » by Mystical Apples » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:01 pm

Some of the pessimism surrounding the Hornets kinda blows me away.
geometry
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,649

Post#171 » by yosemiteben » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:07 pm

Mystical Apples wrote:Some of the pessimism surrounding the Hornets kinda blows me away.

Agreed.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,146

Post#172 » by Braggins » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:23 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
Mystical Apples wrote:Some of the pessimism surrounding the Hornets kinda blows me away.

Agreed.

My pessimism stems mostly from injury issues. I take issue with some of our offseason acquisitions, but I'd still feel at least neutral on the team if we didn't have so many key rotation players already struggling with health. I don't think our roster is well equipped to deal with injuries to some of our key guys and we have a pretty bad history of mismanaging players health. Our situation just feels very fragile to me. We have the tools to be really good, but it doesn't seem like it would take much for it to all unravel.
euphorbus
Analyst

Post#173 » by euphorbus » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:25 pm

I would be a lot more optimistic if the team were shooting better, and if they seemed well organized on the court. Apart from rebounding, neither is the case. The defense overall has been inconsistent. I agree with Braggins that it would not take much for the season to unravel in a hurry.

Once the season starts, I might make a rundown of the weaknesses that I see in some of the key players. Right now, the only player who has been impressive is Jeremy Lamb--the guy the front office tried to trade all summer. And as I said last night, a lot of the time, the Hornets look like they are playing 1 on 4 or 1 on 3.

When the season gets underway, just watch who sets screens, who is effective at it, who passes the ball, and whether the connection is made at the other end. As Gregg Popovich once said, "Either you move it or you die."
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,536

Post#174 » by HornetJail » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:15 pm

it's the **** preseason
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#175 » by fatlever » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:08 pm

I understand that people like to dismiss the preseason as meaningless. When it comes to wins and losses, I agree. When you have a veteran proven team, I agree. That being said, I still believe you can learn a lot about a team and get an idea of how they might perform early in the season, based off performances in the preseason.

Cody, Marvin and Frank are injured. That is not meaningless. That will have a real impact on the first few weeks of the season and perhaps beyond if those injuries linger.

MKG shot 31% from the field, only took three 3pters, making 0, and shot 17% on jumpers on 41 attempts. That is not meaningless. It means the progress we think he showed last year is either gone or was an aberration. He's clearly not comfortably taking 3s right now. I can remember several times he passed up an open 3, took a dribble or two and then shot or passed. A lot of us were counting on improved shooting and perhaps a vague threat of 3pt shooting from MKG. At the very least, we need to dial back our expectations from MKG in terms of him making some kind of leap on offense. He appears to be, basically the same player offensively that he was 2 years ago. Why would anyone expect him to start making jumpers and taking 3s once the season starts if he didn't show those things in 7 preseason games? He won't shoot 17% from jumpers all season, he is clearly slumping, but nothing indicates he'll be improved either. MKG shot 36% on jumpers two years ago. At this point, that looks like an ideal scenario.

Hornets were dead last in fg% in preseason. Look at the other teams just ahead of the Hornets - Bucks, 76ers, Mavs, Suns, and Nets. Hornets also dead last in Ortg. I don't think the terrible offense can just be easily dismissed as "its preseason, who cares".

There are real problems with this team on offense. I fully expect those problems to bleed into to start of the regular season.

We better hope to remain in the top 10 in defense in the meantime, while we wait/hope for the offense to round into form. I'd love to believe that our offensive struggles, injuries and slumping MKG are meaningless and won't impact the start of our season, but I just am not that optimistic.
bws94
Head Coach
And1: 1,222

Post#176 » by bws94 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:13 pm

Braggins wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:

Agreed.

My pessimism stems mostly from injury issues. I take issue with some of our offseason acquisitions, but I'd still feel at least neutral on the team if we didn't have so many key rotation players already struggling with health. I don't think our roster is well equipped to deal with injuries to some of our key guys and we have a pretty bad history of mismanaging players health. Our situation just feels very fragile to me. We have the tools to be really good, but it doesn't seem like it would take much for it to all unravel.

I find Cody's absence to make a huge difference. And losing Marvin to start is big as well. Cody and Batum have great chemistry and Cody opens a lot of things up for the team. However, last season there were a ton of injuries, and the team got through them. However, the key player Kemba was iron man logging in big minutes. This season, he's coming off of knee surgery.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#177 » by fatlever » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:14 pm

I'm going to be rather annoyed if Harrison is on the regular season roster come Monday. It's time the scouting dept earned some money by picking off a quality player or two from cuts from other teams. I refuse to believe there are not better players, worthy of a look. He was awful last year, awful in summer league and awful in preseason. He wasn't even any good last year in D-league, he just took a lot of shots.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,649

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Hornets 2016-17 Preseason 

Post#178 » by yosemiteben » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:22 pm

bws94 wrote: However, the key player Kemba was iron man logging in big minutes. This season, he's coming off of knee surgery.

He was last season too, he missed a month post-ASB (hence our trade for Mo Williams) due to knee surgery and shut it down in April after coming back and playing pretty poorly and it was clear we were missing the playoffs.
bws94
Head Coach
And1: 1,222

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Hornets 2016-17 Preseason 

Post#179 » by bws94 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:27 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
bws94 wrote: However, the key player Kemba was iron man logging in big minutes. This season, he's coming off of knee surgery.

He was last season too, he missed a month post-ASB (hence our trade for Mo Williams) due to knee surgery and shut it down in April after coming back and playing pretty poorly and it was clear we were missing the playoffs.

I think you're referring to the season before last season. The team needs Kemba, and although he's not 100 percent yet, he looks ok.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,146

Post#180 » by Braggins » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:40 pm

fatlever wrote:I'm going to be rather annoyed if Harrison is on the regular season roster come Monday. It's time the scouting dept earned some money by picking off a quality player or two from cuts from other teams. I refuse to believe there are not better players, worthy of a look. He was awful last year, awful in summer league and awful in preseason. He wasn't even any good last year in D-league, he just took a lot of shots.

:o
Read on Twitter

Return to Charlotte Hornets