ImageImage

Official Tankaseptic Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

GlenRiceARoni
Sixth Man
And1: 793

Re: Official Tankaseptic Thread 

Post#301 » by GlenRiceARoni » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:28 am

This season is just a total freaking disaster. Look at how fox showed out tonight. He would be a nice backup pg.

We are about to pick tenth in a 8 or 9 player draft. Disgusting.

Sacramento and New Orleans both would have passed us if that trade hadn't gone down.

If Embiid or Simmons stay healthy philly passes us easily.

Such a gross season. We needed one of these young guys badly because once franks extension kicks in and kemba's friendly contract runs out we are screwed with this roster.

No youth talent whatsoever. And no cap room to replace aging marv, batum and expiring lamb + bellinelli.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Excited about the Playoffs now that Durant has given other teams a fighting chance
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,650

Post#302 » by yosemiteben » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:07 am

Doubling down on this thread as a playoff watch thread.

2 games out of 8. 4 games out of 5. ATL has lost 7 of their last 10.

CHI has a ridiculously easy schedule remaining. CLE and ATL, then NYK, BRK 2x, NOP, PHI, and ORL. Will be tough to catch them.
GlenRiceARoni
Sixth Man

Post#303 » by GlenRiceARoni » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:52 am

Lol. We'd have to go undefeated

Excited about the Playoffs now that Durant has given other teams a fighting chance
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,650

Post#304 » by yosemiteben » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:05 pm

My point was more that it's still possible for us to get in above the 8.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,618

Post#305 » by fatlever » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:41 pm

Hornets have a tough schedule ahead

Read on Twitter
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#306 » by fatlever » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:29 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-erik-spoelstra-and-the-heat-dont-believe-in-tanking-175736326.html

Do you want to be like the Heat or the Suns? Arguments on both sides.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,148

Post#307 » by Braggins » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:36 pm

Its a lot easier to be good without tanking when you are an elite organization from top to bottom with an elite coach and are a top free agent destination. We have none of those things going for us. Miami has all of them, so I totally understand them not being keen on tanking.

Whether or not to tank is completely circumstantial. Sometimes it is not only justified, but basically imperative to tank. Our initial tank after hiring Cho is an example of one that absolutely had to happen (and I'll remind the anti-tankers that its basically the only reason we are good at all now). Our biggest mistake there was ending the tank a year or two early, but thats another discussion. The 76ers tank needed to happen. You can disagree with some of their methods or handling of the situation, but an extended tank was absolutely the right move for them.

I think a full on tank would be inappropriate for our teams current situation, but I think that just tanking out the end of this season absolutely should have been our strategy and it isn't even a slightly difficult call in my opinion.
chellis
Senior
And1: 130

Post#308 » by chellis » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:44 pm

fatlever wrote:http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-erik-spoelstra-and-the-heat-dont-believe-in-tanking-175736326.html

Do you want to be like the Heat or the Suns? Arguments on both sides.

Honestly, I don't want to go through a lengthy rebuild. I do think it's possible to build a competitive team and make changes year over year to improve. Yes, I'm a proponent for a tank for the remainder of this season to improve our draft position because we need to infuse some youth in our developmental pipeline. I don't want to build a culture that accepts mediocrity and losing on one hand. On the other, I know this team is capped and strapped for talent. That's why I acknowledge the slippery slope the mini tank can be.

The other thing to consider with Miami: it's freaking Miami. FAs want to go there, so selling FAs as the city and organization as a destination isn't as hard as it would be for a city like Charlotte. We convinced Hayward (I wish we could again) to sign. Even a lesser extent Big Al and Stephenson. Can we keep doing it? We will see.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,238

Post#309 » by amcoolio » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:04 pm

This season's outcome was the worst possible scenario save from Kemba making the all-star game. Hate it so much. Can't get excited about the playoffs if we do make it either. Also dampens excitement for next season. What a total ****
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,053

Post#310 » by Liver_Pooty » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:31 pm

Raptors at Toronto on a back to back is going to be tough.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,053

Post#311 » by Liver_Pooty » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:08 am

Pistons in a tough one vs the Knicks
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,523

Post#312 » by Bassman » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:18 am

There were many ways to make the tank not "look like" a tank due to injuries, health issues and established bad players. Cliff and our owner do not believe in it, just like they believe in old school values. I appreciate those values more than most, but we should have tanked into a good pick position.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#313 » by 316Hornets » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:28 am

Bassman wrote:There were many ways to make the tank not "look like" a tank due to injuries, health issues and established bad players. Cliff and our owner do not believe in it, just like they believe in old school values. I appreciate those values more than most, but we should have tanked into a good pick position.

Only reason I could think of not to tank is because Jordan knows lottery is rigged and Silver already promised him a top 3 pick if we don't make playoffs.

On a serious note, the NBA should really consider changing the draft lottery %. Tanking is really crap, but it's the smart thing to do because of the lottery %. Make it more of a flat % across all teams imo. This would keep NBA competitive and rid of these crap teams that just tank every year trying to build a dynasty. Can you imagine how bad the tanking is going to get when the next Lebron James type player is going to be #1?

I think something like
100 Ping pong Balls each for 1-5
85 Ping pong Balls each for 6-10
75 Ping pong Balls each for 11-14

Maybe even give all playoff teams 10 ping pong balls too. It just sucks for NBA players and fans that teams would rather lose because it helps their team more when they no longer are in playoff chase.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#314 » by 316Hornets » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:51 am

Within the last week Detroit has lost to Brooklyn, Orlando, and NY Knicks. Now that is a team that believes in the tank.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Post#315 » by Snidely FC » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:30 am

people still feeling like 8th place is a death knell with Boston suddenly the 1 seed?
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#316 » by fatlever » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:52 am

Mavs blew a big lead with only a few to play. They were so close to catching us in the standing. Would have been a nice hedge.
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#317 » by TheKingofSting » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:44 am

New Orleans didn't help either. We are going to pick 11th or 12th depending on if the Pistons catch us. Difference being we go from Bridges to probably Justin Jackson. I'm sure Detroit would love to get the Michigan State guy for a marketing heaven situation.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
GlenRiceARoni
Sixth Man

Post#318 » by GlenRiceARoni » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:56 pm

Our remaining schedule appears way too difficult. Too many of those teams are not in the tank. We misjudged our chances at the #8 seed badly.

TheKingofSting
RealGM

Post#319 » by TheKingofSting » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:37 pm

Snidely FC wrote:people still feeling like 8th place is a death knell with Boston suddenly the 1 seed?

Yes, Boston owns us also.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

TheKingofSting
RealGM

Post#320 » by TheKingofSting » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:06 am

We lost, Miami won, three games back with eight games left. Our goose is officially cooked.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Return to Charlotte Hornets