ImageImage

2017 General Offseason Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Re: 2017 General Offseason Thread 

Post#161 » by Eoghan » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:54 pm

I have a hard time seeing how we'd get equal or greater value in a MKG trade. His value can't be that great to teams not called the Charlotte "9th seed or Die" Hornets.
catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Post#162 » by catch20two » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:20 pm

Eoghan wrote:I have a hard time seeing how we'd get equal or greater value in a MKG trade. His value can't be that great to teams not called the Charlotte "9th seed or Die" Hornets.

It would have to be a packaged deal with our side loaded to get a above average scorer. None of our players individually outside of maybe Kemba will bring us back great value and even that's questionable.

Hopefully he adds a 3pter this offseason to make him a more complete player tho. I rather keep him but we can't just keep wishing on a prayer that he'll eventually improve and then when he don't we blame it on injuries. Next year will be year 6.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
Mystical Apples
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,349

Post#163 » by Mystical Apples » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:48 pm

catch20two wrote:
Mystical Apples wrote:
catch20two wrote:Feel free to create a chart.

I'm asking because I'm legitimately interested in the answer.

Are there any non-UConn Hornets you're cool with -- not simply tolerate but players you actually believe in? Back benchers without guaranteed deals don't count.

I'm cool with Zeller and post ASB Frank. I started following this team because of MKG but it's about time he add a 3pter. I was also cool with Biz and CDR but that might be before your time here on the board. It's the most ludicrous thing to link me to UConn players lol smh.

I used UConn because, well, both went to UConn and they're the only Hornets you seem motivated to defend (player or FO). Kemba is understandable but I asked because with other players it's usually crickets or the void is filled with criticism.
geometry
catch20two
RealGM

Post#164 » by catch20two » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:04 pm

Mystical Apples wrote:
catch20two wrote:
Mystical Apples wrote:
I'm asking because I'm legitimately interested in the answer.

Are there any non-UConn Hornets you're cool with -- not simply tolerate but players you actually believe in? Back benchers without guaranteed deals don't count.

I'm cool with Zeller and post ASB Frank. I started following this team because of MKG but it's about time he add a 3pter. I was also cool with Biz and CDR but that might be before your time here on the board. It's the most ludicrous thing to link me to UConn players lol smh.

I used UConn because, well, both went to UConn and they're the only Hornets you seem motivated to defend (player or FO). Kemba is understandable but I asked because with other players it's usually crickets or the void is filled with criticism.

Well there's not much controversy with other players. I've mildly argued for Weber over Roberts. I've argued for MKG to get more minutes in the past but now he get his just due. I've argued for Zeller to be moved to C last year. I've argued for Frank to be moved to backup C. Outside of that everything is pretty rudimentary. Lamb deserving more minutes than Marco is arguable so I press the issue. Yesteryear I argued for CDR to steal more minutes from Hendo because the team played better with CDR on the floor versus Hendo. I also argued Biz over Maxiell and to a varying degree Fat Al. My sticking points don't revolve around UConn. In fact I didn't have to do much talking about Kemba this year. All of the doubters had to eat their crow.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,620

Post#165 » by fatlever » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:11 pm

I'm still mad we didn't play CDR more in that Miami series.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,148

Post#166 » by Braggins » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:14 pm

fatlever wrote:I'm still mad we didn't play CDR more in that Miami series.

Clifford loved him some Gary Neal lol.
catch20two
RealGM

Post#167 » by catch20two » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:16 pm

Braggins wrote:

Cliff has a irrational love for aged and regressed vet on our roster from a former championship every year. I wonder who it'll be next season.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#168 » by HornetJail » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:17 pm

catch20two wrote:
Braggins wrote:

Cliff has a irrational love for aged and regressed vet on our roster from a former championship every year. I wonder who it'll be next season.

:pray: please be shaun livingston please be shaun livingston :pray:
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,652

Post#169 » by yosemiteben » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:05 am

I think he'd be a great fit, but what's a realistic path to acquiring Oladipo without sending out MKG? Plumlee + Marco + 11? Maybe swap 1sts rather than just sending ours out?
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#170 » by Eoghan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:10 am

catch20two wrote:
Eoghan wrote:I have a hard time seeing how we'd get equal or greater value in a MKG trade. His value can't be that great to teams not called the Charlotte "9th seed or Die" Hornets.

It would have to be a packaged deal with our side loaded to get a above average scorer. None of our players individually outside of maybe Kemba will bring us back great value and even that's questionable.

Hopefully he adds a 3pter this offseason to make him a more complete player tho. I rather keep him but we can't just keep wishing on a prayer that he'll eventually improve and then when he don't we blame it on injuries. Next year will be year 6.

I'm not sure we can break even with a packaged deal including MKG (and excluding Kemba). We have okay guys on decent contracts like Zeller, MKG and Lamb but trading many of those guys will really shake up the core. I think it's more likely that Cho trades trash for sell low guys and hopes he gets more McBobs than Plumlees. I'm not sure we have the GM nor the assets to pull off a blockbuster type maneuver. :-?
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,524

Post#171 » by Bassman » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:38 am

Eoghan wrote:
catch20two wrote:

I'm not sure we can break even with a packaged deal including MKG (and excluding Kemba). We have okay guys on decent contracts like Zeller, MKG and Lamb but trading many of those guys will really shake up the core. I think it's more likely that Cho trades trash for sell low guys and hopes he gets more McBobs than Plumlees. I'm not sure we have the GM nor the assets to pull off a blockbuster type maneuver. :-?

The biggest move (and real possibility) would be using MKG as part of a trade up with our pick to get one of the upper echelon draft picks. The target would need to be Monk, a deadly shooting/scoring 2 we could pair with Kemba and move Nic to the 3. Not sure any team would do that, and not sure we would either, but why not Philly? They've picked at the top for years and could use MKG as part of their rotation while still getting a lottery pick this year. Outside of the draft I can't see a scenario where we can trade him for a starting SG that is as good as we need.

Forget getting "equivalent" value for MKG. He's nowhere close to the value #2 picks return, and his resume is light for a starter in this league.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,105

Post#172 » by JDR720 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:59 pm

MKG for Tim frazier, diallo and pelicans first this year.

Clears cap space, geta 3 young depth pieces.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#173 » by JDR720 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:06 pm

Sign and trade

Nic for jj redick, rivers and clippers 2018 first.

Marvin and Marco/lamb for okafor and hendo.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#174 » by JDR720 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:12 pm

Rough depth chart after all that

Kemba-rivers-frazier
JJ-lamb-weber
Draft pick-hendo
Frank-o'briant-diallo
Zeller-okafor-plum
+ a couple free agents
catch20two
RealGM

Post#175 » by catch20two » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:19 pm

JDR720 wrote:MKG for Tim frazier, diallo and pelicans first this year.

I don't think the Pelicans got a 1st this year. I think it was traded to the Kings in the Cousins trade package.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#176 » by JDR720 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:24 pm

catch20two wrote:

I don't think the Pelicans got a 1st this year. I think it was traded to the Kings in the Cousins trade package.

Forgot about that.
catch20two
RealGM

Post#177 » by catch20two » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:28 pm

JDR720 wrote:
catch20two wrote:

Forgot about that.

I just looked it up. Top 3 protected. Likely will land outside the top 3 but if it does land in the top 3 and they get to keep it I doubt they're trading it for MKG.

I like the other proposed trade of adding Redick to replace what Marco does but wayyyyyyy better at it. I can see the Clippers imploding and kinda scrapping things a bit if they lose to the Jazz in the 1st round and Redick has the NC ties so it's possible.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,652

Post#178 » by yosemiteben » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:47 pm

I wouldn't really consider any of those trades that JDR posted and it's not clear to me what the broader motivation is (also just fyi Redick is a FA this summer, but will ignore that for now). Is that team actually better? Wing rotation is a train wreck with very little depth, and you are relying on two borderline D league caliber bigs for PF depth.

We're trading MKG for two 3rd stringers and what would have been a very high low lotto pick? What starting caliber SF are you planning on drafting? Since you no longer have Nic or MKG, hope you have an excellent playmaker on one end that is also an elite defender on the other end, because Kemba and Redick as your PG and SG is not exactly ideal on either end.

How much cap space would we have after those deals are done?
CatgutStitches
Junior
And1: 262

Post#179 » by CatgutStitches » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:56 pm

Yeah...Im sorry but that team is WAY worse in my opinion...pretty much everything Ben said...

All it really does is improve our PG depth (which we admittedly need), at best wash our SG position, completely destroy our SF position (say what you will about MKG and Marco, but I cant see a late lotto rookie and Hendo being an improvement), kill our PF depth and completely destroy any second unit spacing, and give us Big Al Jr at backup C...

You think our bench was bad this year, those guys would get torched...lol
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#180 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:06 pm

I personally think that it's SUPER unlikely that MKG gets traded for picks or for moving up in the draft. Both Cho and Cliff will be under tremendous pressure to win now next season. Neither one of them are going to view a rookie pushing them over the top next year no matter how good such a move would be for the team long term.

What is somewhat likely IMHO is MKG getting traded straight up for another player or MKG and the pick getting traded for another player (possibly with a lower pick attached).

I suspect that, no matter what, Charlotte will have some sort of draft pick this year, but I'm also willing to bet that it's possible that Cho does some uncharacteristic moves, like trading MKG around the draft, in order to keep his job.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody

Return to Charlotte Hornets