Welcome To The New RealGM - A Message From CEO Ryan Hoak

Vorticity
Head Coach
And1: 4,918

Re: Welcome To The New RealGM - A Message From CEO Ryan Hoak 

Post#81 » by Vorticity » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:52 pm

KnicksGod wrote:One other note -- we are looking into Search/PM functions.

It is not something we wanted to disable -- in fact, we very much would like to provide this to RealGMers.

But due to the extremely large size of our forum traffic, this feature would often cause our database to clog up which in turn would crash the site or slow it down dramatically, especially on big days like the Draft and Trade Deadline Day.

We are now looking into a couple of different workarounds which might allow us to re-activate Search/PM and should know more soon.

Thanks for the feedback.

If you implement a global search that would be the case, but if you restrict the search to
a)Within a specific forum
b)Within a specific time frame (e.g only 2 years back)

that should make it work, without impacting the database performance.
Zona Zoo wrote:
spudwebb wrote:OKC has one black guy in the crowd

Russell Westbrook?

sig by http://www.turbozone.ca
Turisas
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 39

Post#82 » by Turisas » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:03 pm

I didn't even realise the site had been upgraded but I must admit I love the new content that's been loaded up. I mean who remembered that Mutombo won a player of the week award when he was with us? I agree that the search function is the biggest thing the forums are lacking.
kane2021
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,067
Location: It's OK to feel that way. Just sick of hearing about it all the time.

Post#83 » by kane2021 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:13 pm

Dudes want a search so they can look up topics for their "I told you so" posts. And to belittle other posters with past comments.

PM while it sounds nice, can cause more harm than good. Where now we will be modding peoples private conversations. It can also be a tool for hijackers. Not to mention the annoyances it will cause where people will be PMing you in regards to your posts. Spam, threats and so on.

If its absolutely necessary to get in contact with a poster for private reasons, its possible.

Mods get it all the time with people crying about threads, suspensions etc.

I wonder how many of the people complaining have ever used the feedback forum? I mean, they are working to better the site. And all people think about is complaints about the forums. I do agree, the forums is one the key features of the site. But whats the big deal?

If anything, posting new threads should be minimized for new users. A FAQ before PMing a mod. Some sort of reference to who a poster is, (where they post, and the quality of their posts.) And stronger filters would be the better suggestions. The only thing the forums really needs is more good posting and good posters.

It will take some getting used to. But I think the front page has more information on it. And its cleaner looking. Its a free site. Its informative. The forums are fun. How about praising the people who bring them to you when given the chance instead of complaining.

Never underestimate the strength of knowledge.

Bring back the physical game and send the softies home.
CR Reina
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 230

Post#84 » by CR Reina » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:23 pm

Thanks again for all of the suggestions on this thread. I'm going to lock this Global and you guys can continue the discussion on the Feedback forum.
crazy8ights
Analyst
And1: 75

Post#85 » by crazy8ights » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:32 pm

can we have a teams list here http://basketball.realgm.com/ again! I have to add a few extra clicks to get to where I want to go.
semi-sentient
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,609

Re: Welcome To The New RealGM- A Message From CEO Ryan Hoak 

Post#86 » by semi-sentient » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:37 pm

dream34 wrote:Please list out improvements you think the forums need, along with reasoning behind your ideas.

Not necessarily a need, but I've always wondered why there hasn't been any integration with social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter (e.g. ability to Share/Like a topic on Facebook). From a development standpoint, this isn't all that difficult to implement and would do wonders for RealGM's exposure, which in turn helps with revenue brought in via advertising.

The ability to search would also be a rather large improvement.

An archived site containing older, purged content would be nice. I don't know if posts pre-2006 were lost due to a merger or wiping of the database, but there have been times that I really wished I could dig up old posts or see what the general perception was about a specific topic/player way back when. How about a sub-domain such as archive.realgm.com that keeps old message board content and can be searched?

Other than that, I don't even know what's different about the site, probably because I only come to the message boards anyway.
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,408

Post#87 » by KnicksGod » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:48 pm

Two quick additional resources that I think our forum users will find very valuable before we close this thread:

Detailed Info On Future Draft Pick Rights: http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/ ... s/detailed

Future Draft Pick Summary: http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#88 » by jman3134 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:03 pm

Wolfman1420 wrote:I agree with the above posters. The wiretaps are just a sad and inaccurate regurgitation of other beat-writers works. If you insist on keeping them, please put a little effort in keeping them accurate and timely. Otherwise get rid of them. RealGM is a forum based site. There is very little value elsewhere.

In relation to the forums, there are some very real problems that may explain why attendance keeps dropping (yes it’s pretty obvious to most users).

1. There is way too much cronyism on the site. Guys think that just because they have thousands of posts that somehow they are superior. Their statements must be right and anyone who disagrees is wrong. If this primary problem is not resolved, what new fans will be willing to dedicate hundreds of pointless hours to become “relevant”. Maybe get rid of the ranking system to help keep new fans.

2. Keep the sarcastic comments away. Unfortunately, the same “no life” posters keep saying the same BS – thread after thread. Any dissenting comments are just bashed in a sarcastic manner. If a new user fights back be is reprimanded by the admins - no appeal. The "RealGM's" (LOL) are always given the benefit of the doubt. Way to keep new members.

3. The trades section is all about disagreements. In the time I have been surfing this, only about 1 in 100 trades is agreed by more than 90% of the posters. Maybe a mandatory IQ test would help weed out the lower educated portion of the fanbase – especially the cronies that think their **** doesn’t stink. They are ruining this business for you.

Maybe you should consider making the forums private. If you cannot attract any new users, then why bother in the first place. I visit a few different forums each day and RealGM is by far the angriest, most elitist and inaccurate forum of them all. I would think many users just visit for the humor value only.

Look, I'm not affiliated with the site, so I cannot speak on their behalf. From my own account of things, I think that everything is very board dependent- there are different dynamics throughout Realgm. You can't subsume every forum under one heading. I know that on the forums I moderate, the posters with the fewest posts are welcomed regularly, and their comments are highly regarded.

I have thousands of posts, but I am certainly open to being wrong. (and have been corrected on several occasions in recent memory) I think you may have been reading the wrong group of posters then. And, to be honest, I view the "ranking" system more as a joke than anything. Obviously they want their users to come back, so they will give them titles. The people who are most respected on this site for their input do not/should not talk down to people with a few posts. In fact, some of the smartest posters ever have been ballboys- (because they are actually columnists or people officially involved in basketball)

In summary, don't a few rotten apples spoil your time here.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Post#89 » by YogiStewart » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:40 pm

What's this about mods getting paid?
Gremz
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,142