Jordan's Personality

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Wilford Brimley
Banned User
And1: 81

Jordan's Personality 

Post#1 » by Wilford Brimley » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:49 pm

I was reading the "Does anyone like Lebron?" thread and many brought up Jordan's personality, and how it was ****.

I was really young back then so I don't know/remember anything about Jordan's personality. I have heard the list of quotes that he had, such as "I hope there is a jumpshot in that box" and stuff like that.

What about his personality was ****? Or are those people wrong?
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,544

Re: Jordan's Personality 

Post#2 » by sp6r=underrated » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:53 pm

Watch his hall of fame speech. MJ openly reveals himself to be the **** that he always tried to hide from the public. He's maybe the greatest basketball player of all time, but he's also a petty, self-centered, insecure human being.
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,210

Post#3 » by BarneyGumble » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:01 pm

Jordan would not tip waiters in restaurants on the road.
Jordan punched Steve Kerr in the face during practice for missing a cut.
Jordan constantly ragged on teammates, Bulls personnel, and coaches (prior to Jackson)
Jordan refused to play for team USA if Isiah Thomas was on the team (and for which I applaud him)
Jordan often skipped practice or team meetings, valuing his 18 holes of golf more
Jordan feels sorry for his kids because they will never live up to the amazing standards he set.
Jordan's repeated infidelity led to the most expensive divorce in Sports history.
Jordan had a personal fued with Magic Johnson during the 80's, because Magic had MVPs and rings and he didnt (hey, a little competitive spirit is ok. But to hate a man for his success is to be a prick).
Jordan says white men play hard but have no talent (but he is above racism, jsut not above being a prick apparently)

I could go on and on and on but I'm now bored with this topic.
TsunamiZC
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#4 » by TsunamiZC » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:09 pm

Michael Jordan, as ugly as a person can possibly get. Michael Jordan, the most magnificent basketball player we will probably ever see.
HouMac
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#5 » by HouMac » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:11 pm

DWill_daShizzle wrote:Jordan often skipped practice or team meetings, valuing his 18 holes of golf more

Uhh, no.
bjax24
Veteran
And1: 37

Post#6 » by bjax24 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:14 pm

I think MJ is probably somewhere in the middle of where the people that make him a saint, and the people that make him the devil put him.
darth_federer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 922

Post#7 » by darth_federer » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:17 pm

He was a HUGE douche, but he got away with it because of his greatness.

Profanity wrote:This is why I question a Canadian team in our league. it's a govt conspiracy trina to sell all our milk to Russia. They let the raptors participate to not let canadians demand crossing taxes. it will backfire one day.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,970

Post#8 » by Sedale Threatt » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:24 pm

Like it or not, Jordan's will to completely dominate everyone and everything in his sphere was what made him great. Everybody does it differently, and that was his way to greatness.

Plus, he had an an immense amount of natural charisma and a highly skilled marketing team that glossed over all his warts.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM

Post#9 » by sp6r=underrated » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:28 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:Like it or not, Jordan's will to completely dominate everyone and everything in his sphere was what made him great. Everybody does it differently, and that was his way to greatness.

Plus, he had an an immense amount of natural charisma and a highly skilled marketing team that glossed over all his warts.

The NBA also went to great lengths to cover up his flaws. That helped him alot. Consider Barry Bonds, who MLB basically hung out to dry.
ahonui06
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#10 » by ahonui06 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:32 pm

DWill_daShizzle wrote:Jordan would not tip waiters in restaurants on the road.
Jordan punched Steve Kerr in the face during practice for missing a cut.
Jordan constantly ragged on teammates, Bulls personnel, and coaches (prior to Jackson)
Jordan refused to play for team USA if Isiah Thomas was on the team (and for which I applaud him)
Jordan often skipped practice or team meetings, valuing his 18 holes of golf more
Jordan feels sorry for his kids because they will never live up to the amazing standards he set.
Jordan's repeated infidelity led to the most expensive divorce in Sports history.
Jordan had a personal fued with Magic Johnson during the 80's, because Magic had MVPs and rings and he didnt (hey, a little competitive spirit is ok. But to hate a man for his success is to be a prick).
Jordan says white men play hard but have no talent (but he is above racism, jsut not above being a prick apparently)

I could go on and on and on but I'm now bored with this topic.

I like the white men play hard but have no talent. I guess Larry Bird and the Celtics beating the Bulls year after year in the 80's was because Bird had no talent lol. MJ isn't even the "undisputed" best basketball player of all time. Bill Russell has 11 championships, 8 in a row, and is a great human being.
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,963

Post#11 » by Optms » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:36 pm

Nothing is wrong with who he is. I don't like getting into too much of this "who is he off the court" non sense BS, but I'll make the exception here because I really dislike it when people call the consensus GOAT of our sport names as if they were little children. Jesus. Jordan was and should be everything any fan of any team should want out of their franchises player. A fiery, competitive, constantly looking to improve individual whose will to compete equals or exceeds his talent. He wasn't your goody goody boy 99% of today's are made up of. Call him what you want but what made him who he was as a person is what drove him to be successful.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,970

Post#12 » by Sedale Threatt » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:37 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:The NBA also went to great lengths to cover up his flaws. That helped him alot. Consider Barry Bonds, who MLB basically hung out to dry.

Bonds didn't have any of the charisma or likability that Jordan had. He was sullen, rude, arrogant, and he didn't care if you liked him or not.

Jordan, on the other hand, cared very much about his image. More importantly, he had the natural sense of how to sell himself.

It still amazes me how popular he is even to this day, 12 years after he won his last championship. His marketing was phenomenal, but he had the personality to make it stick.
Optms
RealGM

Post#13 » by Optms » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:41 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:The NBA also went to great lengths to cover up his flaws. That helped him alot. Consider Barry Bonds, who MLB basically hung out to dry.

Ha. You just compared the best player arguably to play in the NBA to a cheater who cheated his sports, his fans, made his testicles approximately 1/3 of their original size, his forehead the size of a larry O'Brein trophy, and stuck up to the media. Sure you don't want to go back and edit that?
sp6r=underrated
RealGM

Post#14 » by sp6r=underrated » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:46 pm

Optms wrote:

Ha. You just compared the best player arguably to play in the NBA to a cheater who cheated his sports, his fans, made his testicles approximately 1/3 of their original size, his forehead the size of a larry O'Brein trophy, and stuck up to the media. Sure you don't want to go back and edit that?

Do you remember Bonds before the roids? Even before he was a cheater, he still won 3 MVPs and was the best player of his generation competing against Roiders. He was still a pariah in the media who MLB did nothing to help in the image department. Fair analogy.
Optms
RealGM

Post#15 » by Optms » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:02 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:
Optms wrote:

Do you remember Bonds before the roids? Even before he was a cheater, he still won 3 MVPs and was the best player of his generation competing against Roiders. He was still a pariah in the media who MLB did nothing to help in the image department. Fair analogy.

Wow. Well, I strongly disagree. I didn't even know who the guy was prior to his crooked climb of MLB's home run record. He wasn't all that special of a prospect in baseball before it, either. Secondly, he was, and always will be remembered as a cheater to his sport. Caring not about winning, but about dumb statistical advantages, which is what makes up baseball pretty much. This is where the two have nothing in common. Bonds genuinely is a loser. If anything, this guy is the anti-Jordan of his sport. With all do respect, your fair analogy is beyond (Please Use More Appropriate Word).
sp6r=underrated
RealGM

Post#16 » by sp6r=underrated » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:07 pm

Optms wrote:
Wow. Well, I strongly disagree. I didn't even know who the guy was prior to his crooked climb of MLB's home run record. He wasn't all that special of a prospect in baseball before it, either. Secondly, he was, and always will be remembered as a cheater to his sport. Caring not about winning, but about dumb statistical advantages, which is what makes up baseball pretty much. This is where the two have nothing in common. Bonds genuinely is a loser. If anything, this guy is the anti-Jordan of his sport. With all do respect, your fair analogy is beyond (Please Use More Appropriate Word).

This is nuts. Bonds is still a 1st ballot HOF, even if you say everything that happened after 1998 doesn't count.

Also baseball is much more of an individual game than basketball. Team success counts for far less in baseball because player can't dominate a game to the same degree as in basketball. Bonds was the dominate player of his generation, but had a bad attitude. MLB did nothing to help his image. Jordan was the best player of his generation, but was generally a bad dude. NBA did everything to cover up his flaws.
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,355

Post#17 » by D.Brasco » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:14 pm

Uhh newsflash but pro-athletes are some of the most flawed people around. Look at tiger he had a more goody good image than jordan even.

The only people who get hurt upon discovering the real personalities of athletes are those who for whatever reason look up to them as role models. i would never want my kids looking up to athletes as role models when there are so many better people to emulate.
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Post#18 » by LLcoleJ » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:22 pm

Optms wrote:

Barry Bonds was pretty popular pre-Giants and him getting bigger ( physically and the HR record) He was with the Pirates teamed up with another popular player ( at the time) Bobby Bonilla, won the MVP and was a gold glover. In fact, he has numerous TV spots with said Bonilla at the time and was the golden boy for awhile.
Cheers. :beer: — Mags
sp6r=underrated
RealGM

Post#19 » by sp6r=underrated » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:28 pm

Phil X wrote:
Optms wrote:

Barry Bonds was pretty popular pre-Giants and him getting bigger ( physically and the HR record) He was with the Pirates teamed up with another popular player ( at the time) Bobby Bonilla, won the MVP and was a gold glover. In fact, he has numerous TV spots with said Bonilla at the time and was the golden boy for awhile.

Phil X

I'm not sure if he was popular while in Pittsburgh but I know he was pretty hated by his arrival in San Fran. I remember quite well one of my all time favorite hit pieces was an SI cover story during his first or second year in San Fran with the cover "I'm Barry Bonds and your not."
The MVPlaya
Starter
And1: 33

Post#20 » by The MVPlaya » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:39 pm

Optms wrote:Wow. Well, I strongly disagree. I didn't even know who the guy was prior to his crooked climb of MLB's home run record. He wasn't all that special of a prospect in baseball before it, either. Secondly, he was, and always will be remembered as a cheater to his sport. Caring not about winning, but about dumb statistical advantages, which is what makes up baseball pretty much. This is where the two have nothing in common. Bonds genuinely is a loser. If anything, this guy is the anti-Jordan of his sport. With all do respect, your fair analogy is beyond (Please Use More Appropriate Word).

Ridiculous. Bonds is one of the only players, if not the only one, who proved that he had great natural talent even without the steroids. Bonds took roids to "keep up". He knew that he was by far a better baseball player than Sosa or Mcgwire, but he wasn't getting credit for it. Not saying that makes it right though either.

It's documented that his steroid use didn't come until before the 1999 season. Look at all the great years he had before that. The fact that he dominated so much on the steroids (more so than anyone else who took them) just shows how farther ahead he was than everybody else.

The guy won 3 MVP's before steroid use. He was a gold glover. He hit for power AND had great speed and base stealing ability. Even if he didn't take steroids, he would have hit 500 HR's for his career. He's the ONLY player to hit 500 HR's and steal 500 bases in his career, ever. Their was nobody like him.

Return to The General Board