Pat Riley looking to deal Beasley

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,369

Re: Pat Riley looking to deal Beasley 

Post#21 » by Raps in 4 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:48 pm

People always talk about how stupid Portland and Detroit were for picking Oden and Darko, but no one ever mentions Riley in these discussions, maybe we should start.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,544

Post#22 » by sp6r=underrated » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:49 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:damn, I didn't realize Daly era Coleman only made 1 all star team. I remembered him better than that.

He could have been. He should have been. He had the potential to be a career 20/10 guy, with great passing skills. Attitude, attitude, attitude.

He wowed me when I was young, even when he made the famous "whop de damn do" comment about practice, I was still a supporter.
magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

Post#23 » by magicfan4life05 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:07 pm

I thought this part was interetsting

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/ ... me3-100423

And sources have told ESPN.com that Miami, fed up with Beasley's lack of devotion to defense and his steep learning curve in the maturity department, tried diligently to move Beasley before the trading deadline in February but found no takers willing to give up anything more than garbage.

^^ so he was in play at the trade deadline
Dwight Howard on his FT struggles:

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."
Tim_Hardawayy
RealGM
And1: 8,088

Post#24 » by Tim_Hardawayy » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:21 pm

UssjTrunks wrote:People always talk about how stupid Portland and Detroit were for picking Oden and Darko, but no one ever mentions Riley in these discussions, maybe we should start.

You could, but in the long run I'm not sure it will matter.

Riley has done stupid things in the past, like handing out max contracts to Eddie Jones and Brian Grant, giving Anthony Carter 5 million a season, giving Antoine Walker a 66 million deal, and trading Toine when he was almost an expiring for Ricky Davis and Mark Blount, who had an extra year on his deal.

Point is, he tends to redeem himself with the big moves, like trading for Zo and Tim Hardaway, drafting Caron Butler and Wade, signing Lamar Odom, trading for Shaq... and he's got a good chance to do that again this summer. Guess we'll see.
retrospect24
Starter
And1: 37

Post#25 » by retrospect24 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:22 pm

He could have definitely used another year in college. Not just physically, but emotionally and mentally.
ThreeYearPlan
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#26 » by ThreeYearPlan » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:26 pm

What happened to "He's not on the table for Amare?"
MayorMcCheese
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#27 » by MayorMcCheese » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:29 pm

coulda had love or westbrook! imagine the heat with wade n westbrook attackin da paint
carrottop12
RealGM
And1: 30

Post#28 » by carrottop12 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:31 pm

Blazing_royale wrote:Per Wiretape-

Sources tell Chris Sheridan that the Heat has soured on Michael Beasley's slow growth and lack of defense, and tried to move the former second overall pick before this year's trade deadline.

Pat Riley will again look to deal Beasley this off-season in order to give the Heat more salary cap flexibility.

The team has room to retain Dwyane Wade and sign another maximum-salary free agent. Shedding Beasley's $5 million contract could open up enough cap space for Miami to pursue a third frontline free agent.

thoughts? Beasley entering the draft receieved a huge amout of hype. i even hear people saying he's gonna be like a melo. and now look at this lack of growth and defense.

I see some similarities.
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,332

Post#29 » by MagicMadness » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:31 pm

Leading up to the draft, he was one of those guys who I could look into the eyes of and just tell wasn't going to live up to the promise.
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,652

Post#30 » by Roger Murdock » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:34 pm

He just doesnt fit well enough to make it in the NBA. He needs the ball in his hands a lot to be effective and hes not a good enough scorer to be the main guy on a team, and when hes not good at rebounding or defense then hes not worth having. He cant just be a role player but hes not good enough to be a star.
carrottop12
RealGM
And1: 30

Post#31 » by carrottop12 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:35 pm

I think he still has a pretty decent future ahead of him, he just needs to be in a better situation with less pressure on him to be a big time player. Right now he is supposed to be the #2 guy on a playoff team. He's better suited as a 4th option imo, and if he can find a place to be that player he'll be fine.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,544

Post#32 » by sp6r=underrated » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:41 pm

Tim_Hardawayy wrote:
UssjTrunks wrote:People always talk about how stupid Portland and Detroit were for picking Oden and Darko, but no one ever mentions Riley in these discussions, maybe we should start.

You could, but in the long run I'm not sure it will matter.

Riley has done stupid things in the past, like handing out max contracts to Eddie Jones and Brian Grant, giving Anthony Carter 5 million a season, giving Antoine Walker a 66 million deal, and trading Toine when he was almost an expiring for Ricky Davis and Mark Blount, who had an extra year on his deal.

Point is, he tends to redeem himself with the big moves, like trading for Zo and Tim Hardaway, drafting Caron Butler and Wade, signing Lamar Odom, trading for Shaq... and he's got a good chance to do that again this summer. Guess we'll see.

Nice analysis. No one is going to have a perfect batting average, but Riley acknowledges when he made a mistake and quickly tries to adjust.
kyphi
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,612

Post#33 » by kyphi » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:23 pm

I trust Riley more often than not, and he rarely leaks negative comments about the roster. So, this may just be a smokescreen.
devv83
Sixth Man
And1: 108

Post#34 » by devv83 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:30 pm

I always thought beasley could be Melo they from the same area same maturity issues first cpl yrs in the league. If anybody remembers melo had a real bad sophmore season. His third year he went for 27 a game, 4th year 29 a game but he was a first option and not behind a superstar. I'm not giving up on beasley, I think if he goes to the right system he can have a real good third year. You can't give up on a number 2 draft pick after 2 yrs. I mean he is putting up ok numbers this yr
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,075

Post#35 » by sisibilio » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:39 pm

DusterBuster wrote:He should have traded him a lot sooner. The story on Beasley has ALWAYS been that he has a million dollar talent with a 10 cent brain. For people still holding out hope that he'll ever develop, I have a news flash for ya, players like that don't change! He's this generations Darius Miles or Stromile Swift. A guy who could be dominate, but just doesn't have the mental fortitude to pull it off.

Stromile Swift, errrr, dominant? WTF?!?!?!
The only thing that guy could do was throwing down some monster dunks here and there, he was almost as talented as Jarron collins. Almost.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
Chosen01
RealGM
And1: 534

Post#36 » by Chosen01 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:47 pm

Yea Stromile swift was a bad comparison, Beasley is alot more talented than both of them.

If Beasley were alot quicker, Melo would be a decent comparison.

Suns would probably be the perfect team for him, in a couple of years he would have his own team, with Nash retiring.I have no doubt in my mind he'd avg at least 20 and 8 in his first year with The suns(if next season)
G35
RealGM
And1: 7,741

Post#37 » by G35 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:49 pm

justinnum1 wrote:Every so often he shows flashes of Greatness...One of these days he will mature and understand.

They have been saying that about Lamar Odom forever. Some people are what they are and maturity is not always guaranteed.

I think Beasley would be a great 6th man like Odom since he is a better scorer than Odom imo. If the Heat retained Wade and added Bosh and perhaps got Collison in a trade they would be a legit contender....
I'm so tired of the typical......
Ian4
Starter
And1: 381

Post#38 » by Ian4 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:38 pm

personally i like what i see in the kid,he's far from a bust. Imo he's the third or second offensive option on any team pretty much except the few tops ones,Just give him time.
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#39 » by kingkirk » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:17 am

The kid is not a bust at all. He got the Heat 15 and 6 just playing with raw talent. Why cant we let players develop?? He has been thrown in the deep end to an extent. The number 2 pick was always going to be under pressure, as Riley was hoping the pick would be the saviour in keeping Wade.

Riley didnt make the wrong move. People were bagging out Presti for taking Westbrook at 3rd (or was it 4th?), but on the night is was either Rose or Beasley then whoever else. Hindsight is a beautiful thing, but we may be say in 5 years time 'Wow we were wrong about Beasley'. Give it time.
TheDeadDodo
Bench Warmer
And1: 334

Post#40 » by TheDeadDodo » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:43 am

DusterBuster wrote:He should have traded him a lot sooner. The story on Beasley has ALWAYS been that he has a million dollar talent with a 10 cent brain. For people still holding out hope that he'll ever develop, I have a news flash for ya, players like that don't change! He's this generations Darius Miles or Stromile Swift. A guy who could be dominate, but just doesn't have the mental fortitude to pull it off.

I agree that Miles could've been far better, but Stromile Swift was never going to dominate anyone. All he had was freakish athleticism.

Return to The General Board