Is there a direct correlation between Height and Rebounding?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

disoblige
Head Coach
And1: 790

Is there a direct correlation between Height and Rebounding? 

Post#1 » by disoblige » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:29 pm

Charles Barkley , Rodman , Dwight , bill rusell , Ben Wallace, Bob petit, etc aren't the tallest players ever in the NBA.

Agree? The biggest factor in rebounding in the nba isn't height?
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,772

Re: Is there a direct correlation between Height and Rebounding? 

Post#2 » by Baddy Chuck » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:40 pm

Gerald Wallace is the of the best rebounders in the league at 6'7.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
Ripp
General Manager
And1: 324

Post#3 » by Ripp » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:42 pm

Why not just make a plot of height versus rebounding percentage for the regular season? You'll almost certainly get something that looks linear
A Tolkienesque strategy war game made by me: http://www.warlords.co
MSGBallerz
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#4 » by MSGBallerz » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:45 pm

Ripp wrote:Why not just make a plot of height versus rebounding percentage for the regular season? You'll almost certainly get something that looks linear

This
Lakeshow2417
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#5 » by Lakeshow2417 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:46 pm

its the heart and effort if your willing to box out. Dwight WANTS to grab every ball off the boards. which is why he sa top rebounder
contentode
Senior
And1: 137

Post#6 » by contentode » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:48 pm

Ripp wrote:Why not just make a plot of height versus rebounding percentage for the regular season? You'll almost certainly get something that looks linear

Other factors might skew the linearity of the height vs rebounding % graph. Ability to block-out, arm length, anticipation (instincts), willingness to scrap and others come to mind.
"I wish I were half the man my dog thinks I am."
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#7 » by Mags FTW » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:51 pm

Bargnani wishes this was the case.
mysticbb
Banned User
And1: 713

Post#8 » by mysticbb » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:57 pm

contentode wrote:Other factors might skew the linearity of the height vs rebounding % graph. Ability to block-out, arm length, anticipation (instincts), willingness to scrap and others come to mind.

This is a part of a really important thing here. Nobody is playing basketball with his head. Standing reach and jumping abilities are a very valuable thing for rebounding. Also Bill Russell or Dwight Howard are significant taller than Rodman or Barkley.
GJense4181
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#9 » by GJense4181 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:07 pm

standing reach* vs. rebounds per minute would be more accurate.
Ripp
General Manager

Post#10 » by Ripp » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:07 pm

contentode wrote:

Other factors might skew the linearity of the height vs rebounding % graph. Ability to block-out, arm length, anticipation (instincts), willingness to scrap and others come to mind.

This is true, but this is also something you can actually test and see. if height alone explains most of the variation, then if you fit a line to the data (thus getting a slope and y-intercept), that line will probably explain most of the variance, indicating that height is the largest factor.

In any case, you can add as many other physical factors as you like. Perhaps a better thing to do would be to grab lots of data from draft express (height, standing reach, speed), and use them to setup a linear regression problem. That way you can get a sense of how important the different factors are.

Actually, now that I think about it, if you perform an experiment like this, you probably want to choose only one of height/standing reach/wingspan as a predictor variable, because they are extremely correlated too. So pick one of those variables, add speed, etc, and then regress against rebounding percentage.
Ripp
General Manager

Post#11 » by Ripp » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:09 pm

GJense4181 wrote:Height in inches vs. rebounds per minute would be more accurate.

You probably do not want to pick rebounds per minute as the dependent variable in this case...it is affected a lot by pace and how well the other team shoots. Rebounding percentage is a bit more legit, I think.
GJense4181
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#12 » by GJense4181 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:11 pm

Ripp wrote:
GJense4181 wrote:Height in inches vs. rebounds per minute would be more accurate.

You probably do not want to pick rebounds per minute as the dependent variable in this case...it is affected a lot by pace and how well the other team shoots. Rebounding percentage is a bit more legit, I think.

Where would I find such statistics?
contentode
Senior
And1: 137

Post#13 » by contentode » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:15 pm

Ripp wrote:
contentode wrote:

This is true, but this is also something you can actually test and see. if height alone explains most of the variation, then if you fit a line to the data (thus getting a slope and y-intercept), that line will probably explain most of the variance, indicating that height is the largest factor.

In any case, you can add as many other physical factors as you like. Perhaps a better thing to do would be to grab lots of data from draft express (height, standing reach, speed), and use them to setup a linear regression problem. That way you can get a sense of how important the different factors are.

Actually, now that I think about it, if you perform an experiment like this, you probably want to choose only one of height/standing reach/wingspan as a predictor variable, because they are extremely correlated too. So pick one of those variables, add speed, etc, and then regress against rebounding percentage.

I love statistics Ripp, but frankly, I'm afraid you're way ahead of me when it comes to applying and interpreting them.
"I wish I were half the man my dog thinks I am."
Spicy P
RealGM
And1: 5,870

Post#14 » by Spicy P » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:26 pm

Yes, I actually did a project on this back in high school for my stats class using stats of 120 starting players from the league and their per 48 minute stats. The correlation coefficient was around 0.80. There were some that were off like Jason Kidd and Eddy Curry, but it's a pretty linear correlation.
the_warden
Sixth Man
And1: 13

Post#15 » by the_warden » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:27 pm

contentode wrote:

Why would that skew the linearity? The fact that other things influence rebounding doesn't mean that, if you were to plot rebounding against height, the result wouldn't be linear.
@RyanOutrich wrote:@chrisbosh seems just like yesterday u hatched ouuta ur shell and the ugliest dino of them all was born
Ripp
General Manager

Post#16 » by Ripp » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:38 pm

contentode wrote:I love statistics Ripp, but frankly, I'm afraid you're way ahead of me when it comes to applying and interpreting them.

Not really anything special, just what I study in school. But in this case, the topic isn't that hard...you just want to find a good way of fitting a line onto a plot of data.

Wikipedia has a decent explanation of how this is done in the single variable case (e.g., when we only want to use height to predict rebounding):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_linear_regression

And here is a tutorial I googled for how to do this in Excel:
http://phoenix.phys.clemson.edu/tutoria ... ssion.html

Might be fun to just grab some data from basketball-reference.com and try it yourself, see how well it fits.

Finally, in the more general case (i.e., multiple predictor variables, for example using both height and vertical leap to predict rebounding), I googled and found a video which explains how to do this in Excel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=DTjWdmL ... re=related

The audio is a bit bad, but the guy does a decent job of explaining how to do it, I think.

Now that I think about it, maybe start with the video first.

Anyway, hope some of this is helpful.
Ripp
General Manager

Post#17 » by Ripp » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:46 pm

GJense4181 wrote:
Ripp wrote:

Where would I find such statistics?

That is also on basketball-reference.com. For example, for the Raptors, it is listed at the bottom of the following page, in the section called "Advanced":

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/TOR/2010.html

The three relevant columns are ORB% (Offensive Rebounding Percentage), DRB%, and TRB%.

If you want to download the data, you can click the "CSV" button. It then puts it into a nice format that you can copy and paste into a text file, and then import into Excel.

Unfortunately, basketball-reference.com doesn't have all the players listed on one page (at least, as far as I know), so you have to manually go through and download for each team. Also doesn't conveniently list height.
ToffKobe
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#18 » by ToffKobe » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:56 pm

Bargnani says hi and laughs at the fact that rebounding has a correlation to height. Well it does, but there's more to just the height.
disoblige
Head Coach

Post#19 » by disoblige » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:01 pm

Would the co-eff still be excellent if you remove pg ,sg ,sf in the list.
disoblige
Head Coach

Post#20 » by disoblige » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:34 pm

a post in realgm i read that pf are better rebounder than centers.

Return to The General Board