Jermaine O'Neal on pace for worst playoff series ever

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

blzrfan
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Re: Jermaine O'Neal on pace for worst playoff series ever 

Post#21 » by blzrfan » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:56 pm

I asked earlier about who's worse, R. Wallace or O'neal. I think people were sleeping on how bad O'neal has been for the Heat.
Tim_Hardawayy
RealGM
And1: 8,093

Post#22 » by Tim_Hardawayy » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:59 pm

blzrfan wrote:I asked earlier about who's worse, R. Wallace or O'neal. I think people were sleeping on how bad O'neal has been for the Heat.

It started after he hyperextended his knee a few weeks ago. As someone else pointed, he was solid for the most part in the regular season, and was averaging around 15 a game on 55% shooting over the last couple months or so.

Then he had that injury, came back and looked horrible for a couple of games, sat out the rest of the regular season assuming he'd be well rested for the playoffs, and well, it didn't work out so well.
Diggity Dave
Veteran
And1: 153

Post#23 » by Diggity Dave » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:00 pm

Jermaine O'Neal was actually on a pretty nice roll until his recent pre-playoff injury. After that, the guy has simply gone south. Add to the fact that Perkins seems to defend him extraordinarily well, and you have this mess.

Anyone criticizing his salary at this point is overlooking the fact that he earned that contract back in the day for being a top notch power forward in this league. Obviously he's not the same player, and obviously he won't earn anywhere close to that next summer, despite all the good work he's put in this year for Miami, aside from this series. Centers are overpaid to begin with, but he's played himself out of what may have been somewhere close to a MLE-type contract.

PToastMan wrote:"I really hope the Knicks weren't selling secrets to the Nazi's, if so, **** the Knicks"
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,466

Post#24 » by Blame Rasho » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:02 pm

He was never a top notch power forward... The best year of his career where he was a 2nd teamer he shot 43%... the only reason he was a 2nd teamer was because he was on a loaded 61 win Pacers team.
number 11
Junior
And1: 0

Post#25 » by number 11 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:03 pm

this is really a reflection of how much jermaine is struggling versus perkins rather than simply playing poorly

perk blocked his first couple shots of the series. a turn around and a spot up jumper. on consecutive positions i think.

the guy just doesn't know how to get a shot off, and for good reason.
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#26 » by Flash3 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:12 pm

number 11 wrote:this is really a reflection of how much jermaine is struggling versus perkins rather than simply playing poorly

perk blocked his first couple shots of the series. a turn around and a spot up jumper. on consecutive positions i think.

he's also missing wide open jumpers -- wide open i say again
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
InFlames
RealGM
And1: 3,176

Post#27 » by InFlames » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:41 pm

number 11 wrote:this is really a reflection of how much jermaine is struggling versus perkins rather than simply playing poorly

He has had many good looks at the basket, and some wide open shots.
Puertorique
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#28 » by Puertorique » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:08 am

sdeezy wrote:How does a center suck that bad. I'm watching the games and the guy literally can't do anything right on offense. Fumbling passes, can't hit a jumper, making post moves that don't lead anywhere, isn't offensive rebounding, turning the ball over..i mean damn, the Heat might have won another game in this series if he had a good 15/8 in any of the earlier games.

He's played himself out of an MLE contract next year imo

Which may be a steal for a team next season if they can keep him healthy down the stretch.
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#29 » by Winsome Gerbil » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:22 am

Blame Rasho wrote:He was never a top notch power forward... The best year of his career where he was a 2nd teamer he shot 43%... the only reason he was a 2nd teamer was because he was on a loaded 61 win Pacers team.

His rep at the time wasn't really about the offensive side of the ball. And after 6 straight All Star appearances as a 20-10 guy with top flight defense, a Second Team All NBA and 2 3rd Team All NBA appearances, if he wasn't a top notch PF you are holding that bar just a tad high. He wasn't Duncan or KG. He was a perennial All Star/borderline franchise player. That's not chopped liver.
Rendezvous
Banned User
And1: 10

Post#30 » by Rendezvous » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:00 am

retrospect24 wrote:Dude just needs to retire.
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,725

Post#31 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:07 am

I hate to give any thing to a Boston player, But Perk is a about as good as it gets in the low post. There is nothing J.O. can do against him at this point in his career, he has no quicks or hops and Perk wont fall for the Veteran plays.
CB4MiamiHeat
General Manager
And1: 2

Post#32 » by CB4MiamiHeat » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:11 am

Yes Perkins deserves 2nd team All-NBA defense .. but JO has missed some easy jumpers of set ups too .
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#33 » by DusterBuster » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:16 am

Wow..... Put a fork in him. O'Neal is DONE!

I bet he doesn't get anything beyond the vet min this summer, if he even tries to keep playing....... Which he shouldn't.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
rocketsballin
RealGM
And1: 354

Post#34 » by rocketsballin » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:54 am

i feel effin terrible for the guy, im notta big fan but i like the guy. i want wade to have a legit starting center and oneal was that guy...in the regular season :( . o well, he'll make for one helluva backup center, dats fo sho!
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,466

Post#35 » by Blame Rasho » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:13 am

Winsome Gerbil wrote:
Blame Rasho wrote:He was never a top notch power forward... The best year of his career where he was a 2nd teamer he shot 43%... the only reason he was a 2nd teamer was because he was on a loaded 61 win Pacers team.

His rep at the time wasn't really about the offensive side of the ball. And after 6 straight All Star appearances as a 20-10 guy with top flight defense, a Second Team All NBA and 2 3rd Team All NBA appearances, if he wasn't a top notch PF you are holding that bar just a tad high. He wasn't Duncan or KG. He was a perennial All Star/borderline franchise player. That's not chopped liver.

Shooting 43% as a legit 6'11 250 big is just unacceptable...
boogydown
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#36 » by boogydown » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:09 am

Jermaine O'Neal is the classic example of the flaws in the NBA contract system.

4 years maximum should be on every contract so these things do not happen.

Return to The General Board