Early prediction: Will LeBron threepeat as MVP in 2011?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

LeMVP threepeat

Yes, only if he stays
9%
Yes, he'll win it no matter where he goes
55%
No, media will be tired of giving it to him
17%
No, someone else will win it
18%
No, if he leaves Cleveland
1%

Total votes: 77

ljp24
Bench Warmer
And1: 21

Early prediction: Will LeBron threepeat as MVP in 2011? 

Post#1 » by ljp24 » Sat May 1, 2010 9:17 am

Doesn't matter if he stay in Cleveland or ends up in New York, he is the favorite and will be for the rest of his career.

Larry Bird, Bill Russell, and Wilt Chamberlin are the only threepeaters. Will Lebron follow in their footsteps or will he suffer some media backlash?
ahonui06
Banned User
And1: 15

Re: Early prediction: Will LeBron threepeat as MVP in 2011? 

Post#2 » by ahonui06 » Sat May 1, 2010 9:19 am

ljp24 wrote:Doesn't matter if he stay in Cleveland or ends up in New York, he is the favorite and will be for the rest of his career.

Larry Bird, Bill Russell, and Wilt Chamberlin are the only threepeaters. Will Lebron follow in their footsteps or will he suffer some media backlash?

LeBron will most likely 3peat because he puts up great individual numbers. No doubt that he deserved the 2 MVPs he has received.
NADALbULLS
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#3 » by NADALbULLS » Sat May 1, 2010 9:30 am

In the 90s it seemed like the voters refused to give it to Jordan in 1996-97 because they were just sick of giving it to him, so they gave it to Malone even though Utah won 5 less games than Chicago. So if that deal is still in place there could be a road-block. Then again, in 97-98 Pippen played just 44 games and Jordan had less impressive stats than previous season and the Bulls only equaled Utah's record and Jordan won MVP. So maybe if Cleveland have a lot of injuries (like this season) then that will help LBJ win it again even if they want to give it to someone else.
John Doe [MIN]
Bench Warmer
And1: 9

Post#4 » by John Doe [MIN] » Sat May 1, 2010 9:51 am

Never underestimate these supposed experts' ability to screw up the vote. I said yes to the poll, but whereas I'm 95% confident that LeBron will still be the league's best player next season, I'm closer to 60% confident that the media won't find a way to give it to someone less deserving.
Antetokounmpo
Veteran
And1: 1,051

Post#5 » by Antetokounmpo » Sat May 1, 2010 9:59 am

He'll win another one, none's near his level yet and I have a hard time seeing anyone get to that level that soon.
CzBoobie
Assistant Coach
And1: 397

Post#6 » by CzBoobie » Sat May 1, 2010 10:01 am

It all depends on how Cleveland (or simply his team) will be doing. If it's still at the top, he'll be overwhelming favourite once again because I don't see anyone challenging his statistical output, well, possibly Wade if the Heat make big splash in the offseason. People keep bringing up Jordan in '97 and they probably don't realize that Malone had better PER and he even averaged more assists than Jordan.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,298

Post#7 » by Dr Aki » Sat May 1, 2010 10:07 am

lebron will be a knick, theyll have a 55-60 win team and he will put up 40-10-10

yes, i think he will
667Club
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#8 » by 667Club » Sat May 1, 2010 10:50 am

If the cavs go on and win this year, he will likely get another MVP wherever he goes. If Orlando is sacred champions, then Dwight Howard has a chance depending on how well he does and the magic record next year.

Currently noone else can challenge Lebron James. However some players might be able to do so next year if they land on the right team. These players are Kobe Bryant (unless the lakers get Chris bosh), Dirk Nowitzki and Dwayne wade, These 3 players could lead the right team to 60-65+ wins. Kevin Durant needs a better supporting cast and to improve in the clutch. I think it will take another 2 or 3 years for him to get there though I have no doubt that he will. He should easily repeat as the scoring champ next year unless Lebron goes to New York.

All in all, Lebron might end up with multiple consecutives MVP since right now, he is clearly head and shoulders above everyone else. 4 or 5 consecutive mvps for LBJ are not in the realm of the impossible.
tkb
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 198

Post#9 » by tkb » Sat May 1, 2010 11:24 am

I'm going to pick Dwight Howard as my favorite to win the MVP next year. I don't konw why, but I just have a feeling he's going to have a huge season.
Happyfoosball
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#10 » by Happyfoosball » Sat May 1, 2010 11:44 am

Dwight is the most amazing defensive player. But that doesn't win MVP's. All those voters care about is offense and it's always been that way. If he wants to win the mvp he has to improve his offense.
"I like our team" - Otis Smith
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,453

Post#11 » by Foye » Sat May 1, 2010 11:45 am

ahonui06 wrote:LeBron will most likely 3peat because he puts up great individual numbers. No doubt that he deserved the 2 MVPs he has received.

Yes, he'll do it.
Tim_Hardawayy
RealGM
And1: 8,088

Post#12 » by Tim_Hardawayy » Sat May 1, 2010 11:55 am

I usually don't go out of my way to make homer picks like this, but if Miami scores big in 2010, I seriously think Wade will have a legitimate shot at challenging LeBron next season. The media will play it up as Wade lifting his team from 47 wins to whatever they end up at even with the new players, and he'll only have to put up numbers near LeBron, not better than.

If Wade is going to win an MVP in his career, next year will be his best shot.
KayDee35
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,613

Post#13 » by KayDee35 » Sat May 1, 2010 12:13 pm

Tim_Hardawayy wrote:I usually don't go out of my way to make homer picks like this, but if Miami scores big in 2010, I seriously think Wade will have a legitimate shot at challenging LeBron next season. The media will play it up as Wade lifting his team from 47 wins to whatever they end up at even with the new players, and he'll only have to put up numbers near LeBron, not better than.

If Wade is going to win an MVP in his career, next year will be his best shot.

Wade is the only real threat to LeBron's 3-peat.
tkb
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 198

Post#14 » by tkb » Sat May 1, 2010 12:56 pm

Happyfoosball wrote:Dwight is the most amazing defensive player. But that doesn't win MVP's. All those voters care about is offense and it's always been that way. If he wants to win the mvp he has to improve his offense.

Bill Russell won 5 MVPs
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#15 » by Vindicater » Sat May 1, 2010 1:44 pm

tkb wrote:
Happyfoosball wrote:Dwight is the most amazing defensive player. But that doesn't win MVP's. All those voters care about is offense and it's always been that way. If he wants to win the mvp he has to improve his offense.

Bill Russell won 5 MVPs

In an era when players, not the media selected MVP.
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,313

Post#16 » by JordansBulls » Sat May 1, 2010 2:02 pm

ljp24 wrote:Doesn't matter if he stay in Cleveland or ends up in New York, he is the favorite and will be for the rest of his career.

Personally he won't get it unless he wins a title this season. Sounds kinda foolish, but the reality is no other player has 3 mvp's without a title.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
da.vid
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#17 » by da.vid » Sat May 1, 2010 2:28 pm

my prediction is that it will be between him and rajon rondo
_BBIB_
Lead Assistant
And1: 15

Post#18 » by _BBIB_ » Sat May 1, 2010 3:51 pm

MVP award has always been heavily influenced by team record. So if say the Thunder take another step forward and win 60 some odd games and LeBron's teams in the 50+ win range, and Durant wins another scoring title I can see him breaking up LeBron's streak.

I don't see them giving one to Howard though. The media is overwhelmingly biased against players who's best aspect is their offense. Howard doesn't score enough points to get consideration for modern day MVP.

In fact I'd be interested in seeing the PPG rank for winners in the last 20-30 years. I'd be shocked if there was anybody outside the top 5-10 in scoring to win since the merger with the exception of Nash/Magic (by nature of their position)
Shaheen wrote:You wanna make a sig bet that Horford will not win this year? They will not even hit .500. Book it.
:lol:
RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,782

Post#19 » by RoyceDa59 » Sat May 1, 2010 3:55 pm

In comparison to James, there is only one other player who posses the combination of ungodly statistics, team success, unlimited potential and exciting style that can challenge him for MVP votes. That player is Kevin Durant. Durant is the only player who can knock LeBron off the MVP vote next season. If Oklahoma signs a big man in the off-season and builds off of their 50 win season this year, I think they have a chance to win 60 games next season. If they do that, and Durant puts up 32 / 8 / 3 / 50% / 40% / 88%, I think a legitimate argument can and will be made for him as MVP (even if he's not quite as good as James yet).

The only other player with a shot at is is Dwyane Wade, if Riley re-tools and signs a big name FA this season, and the Heat can return to 60 win territory next season.

Dwight Howard is as effective as any player in the NBA, but he gets shafted on MVP voting because his offensive game is not very pretty. I believe he is worthy and will win one in his career, but I just don't think it will be next season. It's hard for Howard to compete with 30 / 8 / 8 because the MVP rarely if ever takes into consideration defensive ability.
Go Raps!!
devv83
Sixth Man
And1: 108

Post#20 » by devv83 » Sat May 1, 2010 4:07 pm

Its about 6 players with chances

Wade,Dwight,Durant,Melo,Deron, Kobe

But really only wade and Durant have a chance

The rest will finish in the top 7

But lebron will probably get it again

Return to The General Board