Kevin Durant Comes Back Down to Earth

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

I Never Lied
Banned User
And1: 1

Re: Kevin Durant Comes Back Down to Earth 

Post#101 » by I Never Lied » Sun May 2, 2010 4:58 pm

Don Ford wrote:Seriously?? KD averaged over 10 FTs per game in the Laker series including being allowed to shoot two of Westbrook's.

As far as Durant coming down to earth, this series was definitely not indicative of Durant's abilities. The only thing that I thought that this really showed is that Durant needs to get a little stronger to be able to deal with more physical defenders like Artest. He's most likely never going to be a high assist guy like LeBron but the sky's the limit for him as a scorer.

His ball handling is mediocre as well and so is his quickness as he's not particularly explosive.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,049

Post#102 » by slick_watts » Sun May 2, 2010 5:02 pm

I Never Lied wrote:His ball handling is mediocre as well and so is his quickness as he's not particularly explosive.

Name one NBA player Kevin Durant's height and length who is a better / quicker ball handler than he is currently. Lamar Odom and Josh Smith are two that come to mind, and Durant's longer than both of them.

He's an excellent ball handler for his size.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,187

Post#103 » by tsherkin » Sun May 2, 2010 5:09 pm

Kevin Durant does not deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Larry Bird at this stage of his career. He has not shown the style of play or any flashes of the ability that Bird displayed with his passing skills and that does not appear likely to change. You generally don't wake up and suddenly turn yourself into a 7 apg player if you're a consistent 2.5 - 3.0 apg type player. KD is good, REALLY good, but it's a totally different ballpark when you're talking about Bird.

As a scorer, Durant has done some impressive things. He's playing in an era where it's way easier to get calls given the way the league has altered the rules... that makes it difficult to compare effectively cross-era. Durant is more athletic than was Bird, and so he does deserve the lion's share of his calls because he does drive frequently. He's been an incredibly effective scoring threat, taking full advantage of the opportunities and skills available to him over the first three quarters of most games.

He still doesn't even sniff Bird as a fourth-quarter player or a closer. Some of this is the result of questionable playcalling; Durant isn't an especially good isolation scorer yet at this stage of his career and Brooks seems in the habit of calling iso after iso for him when the game is on the line, which isn't a smart thing to do. As time passes, Durant's work ethic will develop that aspect of his game, so we can look forward to that. And when his post game develops, he'll be even better... that's beginning to happen.

One series doesn't say anything about Durant, of course, and lots of great players have a bad series against a great squad.

KD is great and he's really young, but yeah, people are jumping a little early talking about all-time greatness. If he strings together a few more seasons like this and proves it's not a peak thing, then that's great and we can start having a discussion about where he ranks in an all-time sense (potentially) and that's cool. But people need to calm down a little. And conversely, people need to stop trying to use this series as justification for him being overrated. Melo's first playoff series wasn't exactly a stunner, either. You go up against a team that has the players who can work against your weaknesses specifically and who are generally arranged as a good defensive squad and you're going to have some problems.

So it was with Durant. It's one series and his team wasn't really prepared for the LAKERS. They are, after all, the defending champs and no slouches on defense when they put their minds to it.
wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Post#104 » by wiff » Sun May 2, 2010 5:24 pm

So Durant shot poorly from the field in his very first playoff series at the young age of 21, going up against the defending champs, and a top 3 defender in the league.

Call me nuts but if this was any other team than the Lakers I think KD would have had a better shooting %.

All I can say, hate all you want now because the window for criticism is closing quickly.

Funny though how even though he "struggled" during game three he still had 29pts and 19rebs. 19 rebounds people against Gasol and Bynum.

Sure he shot 8-24 from the field in game three, but he shot 12-13 from the line. Funny though if this was Shaq, Duncan or D Howard, and they shot 11-24 from the field and 7-13 from the line it would just be another game for them.

Let's make sure we critise the kid for getting to the line and shooting 90% when he is on the stripe. You guys are nuts.
daschysta
Assistant Coach
And1: 349

Post#105 » by daschysta » Sun May 2, 2010 5:29 pm

The guy is still a great player, he's just young. As annoying as his FT numbers are he is just playing within the rules. If opposing teams need to foul you to stop you from scoring you are doing something right.

This series is more of a testimonial on ron artest and how he has become underrated defensively, him and the lakers as a whole.
Don Ford
Analyst
And1: 1,042

Post#106 » by Don Ford » Sun May 2, 2010 5:53 pm

Not sure why people keep comparing Durant to Bird, they're not similar players at all. Durant seems to be closer in style to Nowitzki to me.
KayDee35
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,613

Post#107 » by KayDee35 » Sun May 2, 2010 6:00 pm

Don Ford wrote:Not sure why people keep comparing Durant to Bird, they're not similar players at all. Durant seems to be closer in style to Nowitzki to me.

Agreed. Let's hope he's not cursed like Dirk.
KING JAMES1978
Sixth Man
And1: 56

Post#108 » by KING JAMES1978 » Sun May 2, 2010 6:13 pm

Don Ford wrote:Not sure why people keep comparing Durant to Bird, they're not similar players at all. Durant seems to be closer in style to Nowitzki to me.

Yes he is not like Bird..
I think he is the closest type of player to George Gervin.Durant of caurse is faster and taller than the Iceman..I find the same potential too.
Durant like Gervin will be a great scorer but as all around talents not something special...
I don't take anything from him but I've watched a lot of great players and I'm not impressed by Durant..
For example I feel the same like watching Walter Davis...Durant will be better than him but I'm not impressed..
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#109 » by slick_watts » Sun May 2, 2010 6:20 pm

Kevin Durant has far greater range than Iceman. His 3pt% has varied wildly his first three seasons, but if he errs on the side of his second year (i.e. ~40%) then the league better watch out.
KING JAMES1978
Sixth Man

Post#110 » by KING JAMES1978 » Sun May 2, 2010 6:21 pm

slick_watts wrote:Kevin Durant has far greater range than Iceman. His 3pt% has varied wildly his first three seasons, but if he errs on the side of his second year (i.e. ~40%) then the league better watch out.

And what this mean?He is already better than Gervin?I watched Gervin and he was a fantastic player...
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#111 » by slick_watts » Sun May 2, 2010 6:27 pm

KING JAMES1978 wrote:And what this mean?He is already better than Gervin?I watched Gervin and he was a fantastic player...

It means Kevin Durant has far greater range than George Gervin, and perhaps you should re-think your comparison. That's a pretty big difference you're overlooking.
KING JAMES1978
Sixth Man

Post#112 » by KING JAMES1978 » Sun May 2, 2010 6:32 pm

slick_watts wrote:
KING JAMES1978 wrote:And what this mean?He is already better than Gervin?I watched Gervin and he was a fantastic player...

It means Kevin Durant has far greater range than George Gervin, and perhaps you should re-think your comparison. That's a pretty big difference you're overlooking.

This is a great comparison to me.
Gervin was a great player....
Also don't forget Durant's nickname <Baby Ice>.
tosi
Assistant Coach
And1: 504

Post#113 » by tosi » Sun May 2, 2010 10:21 pm

Still a Beast...
fart wrote:I agree. get over it people. MJ is ridicoulsly overrated that people have developed this perception that no one can challenge him for GOAT.
Reks
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#114 » by Reks » Sun May 2, 2010 10:42 pm

So he goes up against a premier defender in artest for 6 games and he all of a sudden sucks now?

So Kobe isn't top 5 anymore because in the series he went:
23.5 PPG on 40%FG, 4 rpg, 4.3 apg, 3.5 turnovers per game to go along with that.

Let's all judge a player on one series.
menflavor
easily the worst realgm screen name
Jimmy76
RealGM
And1: 8

Post#115 » by Jimmy76 » Sun May 2, 2010 10:55 pm

Durant was 2nd in MVP voting with 4 first place votes

if the Cavs regress or whatever team Lebron is on doesn't do well and the Thunder manage 55-60 wins Durant has a very good shot at MVP
I Never Lied
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#116 » by I Never Lied » Sun May 2, 2010 11:47 pm

slick_watts wrote:
Name one NBA player Kevin Durant's height and length who is a better / quicker ball handler than he is currently. Lamar Odom and Josh Smith are two that come to mind, and Durant's longer than both of them.

He's an excellent ball handler for his size.

Its still mediocre for his position and isnt even as good as Caron Butler's. One of the major reasons he couldnt shake Artest.

Also, we need to quit using Carmelo's first playoff series as an excuse for KD poor performance. Carmelo was not being heralded as the second best player in the NBA at that time and was ranked behind of the proven veterans of his day.

You keep mentioning he is 21, well then treat him like it and stop trying to catapult him up ahead of the Wade's and Dwight's of the world.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#117 » by slick_watts » Mon May 3, 2010 12:42 am

I Never Lied wrote:Its still mediocre for his position and isnt even as good as Caron Butler's. One of the major reasons he couldnt shake Artest.

You didn't answer my question. The only reason Kevin Durant is able to play SF/SG and initiate offense is because his handle is excellent for his height. Almost every other player Kevin Durant's height / length is a PF/C and doesn't initiate offense, use guard skills like Durant, etc.

I Never Lied wrote:Also, we need to quit using Carmelo's first playoff series as an excuse for KD poor performance. Carmelo was not being heralded as the second best player in the NBA at that time and was ranked behind of the proven veterans of his day.

Carmelo had nowhere near the season Kevin Durant had in his first, second, third, fourth, fifth, or sixth playoffs experience. Kevin Durant is heralded as a Top 10 / Top 5 player because he had a Top 3 season in the NBA this year. What doesn't make sense about this?

I Never Lied wrote:You keep mentioning he is 21, well then treat him like it and stop trying to catapult him up ahead of the Wade's and Dwight's of the world.

My opinion is that he had a better season than either Wade or Dwight, though it could go any direction, and MVP voters seemed to agree.

What is your point with this argument, anyway?
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,670

Post#118 » by dockingsched » Mon May 3, 2010 12:51 am

slick_watts wrote:
I Never Lied wrote:Its still mediocre for his position and isnt even as good as Caron Butler's. One of the major reasons he couldnt shake Artest.

You didn't answer my question. The only reason Kevin Durant is able to play SF/SG and initiate offense is because his handle is excellent for his height. Almost every other player Kevin Durant's height / length is a PF/C and doesn't initiate offense, use guard skills like Durant, etc.

eh, one could easily just say that almost every other player kevin durant's height / length is a pf/c because they aren't as frail as he is. its not fair to talk about player's "durant height", since those players have vastly different roles due to body type.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#119 » by slick_watts » Mon May 3, 2010 12:55 am

dcash4 wrote:eh, one could easily just say that almost every other player kevin durant's height / length is a pf/c because they aren't as frail as he is. its not fair to talk about player's "durant height", since those players have vastly different roles due to body type.

That's not true. Kevin Durant is the height / length of LaMarcus Aldridge or Tyson Chandler. You see those guys crossing over guards from behind the three point line or leading fast breaks? Kevin Durant would be very ordinary if he didn't have the guard skills that he possesses, it's his handle and quickness for his height that make him the player he is.
devv83
Sixth Man
And1: 108

Post#120 » by devv83 » Mon May 3, 2010 1:20 am

slick_watts wrote:

I Never Lied wrote:Also, we need to quit using Carmelo's first playoff series as an excuse for KD poor performance. Carmelo was not being heralded as the second best player in the NBA at that time and was ranked behind of the proven veterans of his day.

Carmelo had nowhere near the season Kevin Durant had in his first, second, third, fourth, fifth, or sixth playoffs experience. Kevin Durant is heralded as a Top 10 / Top 5 player because he had a Top 3 season in the NBA this year. What doesn't make sense about this?

I Never Lied wrote:You keep mentioning he is 21, well then treat him like it and stop trying to catapult him up ahead of the Wade's and Dwight's of the world.

My opinion is that he had a better season than either Wade or Dwight, though it could go any direction, and MVP voters seemed to agree.

What is your point with this argument, anyway?

Woah woah Melo went for 29 6 and 4 on 48 % at 22, his 4th yr and 28 and 10 in the playoffs that's a good year durants was better but don't put down melo's good yr

Sorry to interrupt, yall can get back to arguing about durant

Return to The General Board