Stan Kroenke to sell Nuggets and Avalanche to buy Rams

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

darth_federer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 922

Stan Kroenke to sell Nuggets and Avalanche to buy Rams 

Post#1 » by darth_federer » Wed Jun 2, 2010 7:24 pm

The National Football League appears to be moving toward approving sports magnate Stan Kroenke as the next owner of the St. Louis Rams and allowing him a grace period to sell basketball's Denver Nuggets and hockey's Colorado Avalanche, sources say, despite the league’s prohibition against owners controlling teams in other NFL markets.

To whom Kroenke would sell the Denver teams is unclear, the sources said, and the NFL has not yet signed off on whether the clubs could transfer to his family members.

The league has rejected the idea of letting his wife buy the Rams, but NFL owners made it clear they do want Kroenke as the Rams' majority owner.

“Stan would be a great partner,” said New England Patriots owner Bob Kraft, a member of the league’s finance committee, as he departed the spring owners meeting. “I would like to see him in the room. We are trying to find a way for him to solve the problems.”

Denver Broncos owner Pat Bowlen, who arguably is most affected by the issue, said, “I have no issues with Stan.”

The cross-ownership ban is in place because the league does not want its owners competing against one another in their markets. The rule pertains to National Basketball Association, National Hockey League and Major League Baseball clubs.

Sources said Kroenke would not be selling Pepsi Center, home to the NBA Nuggets and NHL Avalanche; his regional sports network, Altitude Sports & Entertainment, which broadcasts many Nuggets and Avalanche games; or the Colorado Rapids of Major League Soccer, which Kroenke also owns.

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/stori ... ily20.html

I dont know how good of a owner this guy is. I know the Avalanche were really good for a long time, but the Nuggets have been hot and cold. How does affect the Nuggets?

Profanity wrote:This is why I question a Canadian team in our league. it's a govt conspiracy trina to sell all our milk to Russia. They let the raptors participate to not let canadians demand crossing taxes. it will backfire one day.
Gus McCrae
General Manager
And1: 2,004

Re: Stan Kroenke to sell Nuggets and Avalanche to buy Rams 

Post#2 » by Gus McCrae » Wed Jun 2, 2010 7:27 pm

how does it affect the Rams is what I'm wondering? coming to LA?
ptown08
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#3 » by ptown08 » Wed Jun 2, 2010 7:32 pm

Seems like a lot to give up just to get one of the worst NFL teams. Buying into the Sam Bradford hype possibly?
Get Healthy Big Fella
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Post#4 » by LLcoleJ » Wed Jun 2, 2010 7:33 pm

That would be awesome news, if Stan moves my Rams back to LA, where they belong.
Cheers. :beer: — Mags
phx#7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,316

Post#5 » by phx#7 » Wed Jun 2, 2010 7:36 pm

ptown08 wrote:Seems like a lot to give up just to get one of the worst NFL teams. Buying into the Sam Bradford hype possibly?

The worst NFL team is still more profitable than most NBA and NHL teams.
IanJames
Senior
And1: 10

Post#6 » by IanJames » Wed Jun 2, 2010 7:39 pm

darth_federer wrote:
Stan Kroenke to sell Nuggets

lol
ponder276
Head Coach
And1: 67

Post#7 » by ponder276 » Wed Jun 2, 2010 7:44 pm

phx#7 wrote:
ptown08 wrote:Seems like a lot to give up just to get one of the worst NFL teams. Buying into the Sam Bradford hype possibly?

The worst NFL team is still more profitable than most NBA and NHL teams.

Indeed, even some of the least profitable NFL teams have an operating income of around $20 mil/year, while a massive number of NHL and NBA teams lose money, and only a few make large profits.
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,627

Post#8 » by Roger Murdock » Wed Jun 2, 2010 7:57 pm

Great move. Its much better to own an NFL team and Sam Bradford is going to light up the NFL.
milehigh
Analyst
And1: 13

Post#9 » by milehigh » Wed Jun 2, 2010 8:12 pm

Phil X wrote:That would be awesome news, if Stan moves my Rams back to LA, where they belong.

He wants to keep them in St. Louis.

If Stan Kroenke gains NFL approval in his quest to purchase the Rams, he vows to do everything he can to secure the team's long-term future in St. Louis.

LINK
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Post#10 » by LLcoleJ » Wed Jun 2, 2010 8:19 pm

milehighman wrote:
Phil X wrote:That would be awesome news, if Stan moves my Rams back to LA, where they belong.

If Stan Kroenke gains NFL approval in his quest to purchase the Rams, he vows to do everything he can to secure the team's long-term future in St. Louis.

LINK

So did Clay Bennet! :lol:

Just kidding.

Just wishful thinking, I have accepted that they are gone, just a little day dreaming.
Cheers. :beer: — Mags
milehigh
Analyst
And1: 13

Post#11 » by milehigh » Wed Jun 2, 2010 8:27 pm

Phil X wrote:
milehighman wrote:

LINK

So did Clay Bennet! :lol:

Just kidding.

Just wishful thinking, I have accepted that they are gone, just a little day dreaming.

Understandable, I could see the Raiders moving back to L.A. if they keep struggling to get people to come out to the games. They were dead last in attendance last year.
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#12 » by Mamba Venom » Wed Jun 2, 2010 9:32 pm

LA needs to buy a stadium and needs to NOT let the Rams or Raiders back.

Those dogs broke my heart.

I want an expansion team. Our surefire strategy for success is to draft Trojan players and get Pete Carrol to coach the team!!!
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
britblazerdude
RealGM
And1: 1,344

Post#13 » by britblazerdude » Wed Jun 2, 2010 9:36 pm

The Raiders need to move back to LA.
To Dare Is To Do? 13 League Titles. You've only got 2.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#14 » by The Rebel » Wed Jun 2, 2010 9:39 pm

Kroenke is from Missouri, went to school there, and primarily lives there, I don't see him moving the team.

Also Kroenke has owned 40% of the team since he helped them move to St Louis, so I do not see him moving them anywhere unless they stop making money.

As for his sale of the Nuggets, speculation is that he is planning to sell them to either his wife (who is a niece of Sam Walton/Wal-mart) or his son.
ahonui06
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#15 » by ahonui06 » Wed Jun 2, 2010 9:44 pm

milehighman wrote:Understandable, I could see the Raiders moving back to L.A. if they keep struggling to get people to come out to the games. They were dead last in attendance last year.

Raiders lol. Al Davis needs to be gone in order that franchise to be successful. Davis is going to set the record for world's longest living man. I guarantee it.
Gus McCrae
General Manager
And1: 2,004

Post#16 » by Gus McCrae » Wed Jun 2, 2010 9:46 pm

britblazerdude wrote:The Raiders need to move back to LA.

please no.
BubbaTee
Head Coach
And1: 546

Post#17 » by BubbaTee » Wed Jun 2, 2010 11:16 pm

SoCAL24 wrote:
britblazerdude wrote:The Raiders need to move back to LA.

please no.

LA needs the Raiders, because right now there's no one getting beat up or shot in parking lots after games during the Dodgers' off-season.

All the Raiders moving back to LA would do is result in local TV blackouts of good games as the horrible Raiders fail to sell out their stadium. The history of LA sports attendance shows they're not going to turn out for some loser team like the Raiders. That goes for the Rams too. Heck, no one was going to those games when they were still here.
Malinhion
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#18 » by Malinhion » Thu Jun 3, 2010 12:08 am

Mamba Venom wrote:LA needs to buy a stadium and needs to NOT let the Rams or Raiders back.

Those dogs broke my heart.

I want an expansion team. Our surefire strategy for success is to draft Trojan players and get Pete Carrol to coach the team!!!

LMAO.

Carroll and USC couldn't win without cheating in a tier two conference at the college rank. He is going to fail miserably in the pros.
Bergy
Pro Prospect
And1: 22

Post#19 » by Bergy » Thu Jun 3, 2010 12:13 am

go rams!
raptorforlife88
Veteran
And1: 943

Post#20 » by raptorforlife88 » Thu Jun 3, 2010 12:45 am

ahonui06 wrote:Raiders lol. Al Davis needs to be gone in order that franchise to be successful. Davis is going to set the record for world's longest living man. I guarantee it.

What the hell are you talking about? Al Davis has been dead for the last five years. They've been using currents of electricity to create the illusion of life. No human looks like this.

Return to The General Board