Shaq's next stop?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Where?

Poll ended at Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:34 am

Lakers
33%
Heat
12%
Cavs
3%
Suns
3%
Magic
3%
Retirement
46%

Total votes: 67

Telfaire
Analyst
And1: 56

Re: Shaq's next stop? 

Post#61 » by Telfaire » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:25 pm

I'm suprised no one has mentioned the Nuggets yet. They could really use a true center and some extra depth upfront. Signing Shaq for cheap is one the few moves this luxury-tax-haunted franchise could make right now.
ClubLakers KB8
Starter
And1: 585

Post#62 » by ClubLakers KB8 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:26 pm

Dallas.
JimMurray
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#63 » by JimMurray » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:34 pm

The Diesel wrote:
Mavs off the bench makes sense

Or LAL off the bench

You really think the Lakers would take him back after the way he bad-mouthed Jerry Buss, Mitch Kupchack, and Kobe?

Why not? They took Phil back after he published a book trashing the organization. Shaq would be a great insurance policy for Bynum, he could probably be had on the cheap, and I'm betting the Lakers would love to have Shaq to go to right now in the Finals, now that Bynum is ineffective. Who are they going to get on the free agent market that would make their bench any better than Shaq?
jaypo
Lead Assistant
And1: 436

Post#64 » by jaypo » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:34 pm

Yeah, Jimmurray, but Kobe demanded a trade, so Buss signed Phil because Kobe wanted him to. Don't you realize that when it comes to Jerry Buss, everything Kobe wants, Kobe gets????
Jase
RealGM
And1: 158

Post#65 » by Jase » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:07 pm

JimMurray wrote:
The Diesel wrote:
Mavs off the bench makes sense

Or LAL off the bench

You really think the Lakers would take him back after the way he bad-mouthed Jerry Buss, Mitch Kupchack, and Kobe?

Why not? They took Phil back after he published a book trashing the organization. Shaq would be a great insurance policy for Bynum, he could probably be had on the cheap, and I'm betting the Lakers would love to have Shaq to go to right now in the Finals, now that Bynum is ineffective. Who are they going to get on the free agent market that would make their bench any better than Shaq?

Shaq also isn't banging the owner's daughter. :cowboy:
"A winner listens. A loser just waits until it's their turn to talk."
LascelleL
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,986

Post#66 » by LascelleL » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:40 am

hype_2004 wrote:Sadly I doubt he retires, he owes too much money to his creditors and has a very expensive lifestyle and habits to fund. When the money-well dries out. I'm wondering whether Shaq will join the numerous long lines of bankrupt former athletes scrapping just to make a living, I can defnitely envision it especially the way this guy just burns holes into his pockets like it's nothing.

Uhh Dude. Im not sure where your getting your information from. But Shaq hasn't Touched any of the NBA money he has. That Includes the ORL-LAL-MIA contracts that he has signed. He's been living off of endorsements and Real Estate money for the past 20 years.
ahonui06
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#67 » by ahonui06 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:44 am

ShelB wrote:
Mamba Venom wrote:Mavs off the bench makes sense

Or LAL off the bench

Why would he come off the bench for the Mavs? Dampier is gone either by trade or just gone period.

Because the Mavs have bird rights to Brendan Haywood and will re-sign him this offseason. I'm not sure the Mavs want Shaq anyway because after they trade away Dampier and Dampier gets cut he will most likely end up coming right back to Dallas anyway. Mavs need a backup PF more than anything.
The Diesel
Veteran

Post#68 » by The Diesel » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:44 am

Phil never bad-mouthed Buss and Kupchack and never made a rap song mocking Kobe for not winning - at the time - a championship without Shaq.

I HIGHLY doubt Kobe accepts Shaq back.
dvdrdiscs
Junior
And1: 6

Post#69 » by dvdrdiscs » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:07 am

Lakers should sign him and bring Mbenga off the bench before Shaq.
The Diesel
Veteran

Post#70 » by The Diesel » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:30 am

The thing with the Lakers possibility is that Shaq would have to come off the bench and I don't see his ego allowing him to accept that because Bynum is better than Shaq.

Why give Bynum all that money to bring him off the bench for a washed-up Shaq?

That's why I think it ultimately comes down to Cleveland or Dallas in terms of where he will sign.

I wish he would retire because, quite honestly, it was painful watching him play this season...he was out of shape, had no lift around the basket, and has become the slowest guy in the NBA.
JimMurray
Banned User

Post#71 » by JimMurray » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:35 am

The Diesel wrote:The thing with the Lakers possibility is that Shaq would have to come off the bench and I don't see his ego allowing him to accept that because Bynum is better than Shaq.

Why give Bynum all that money to bring him off the bench for a washed-up Shaq?

That's why I think it ultimately comes down to Cleveland or Dallas in terms of where he will sign.

I wish he would retire because, quite honestly, it was painful watching him play this season...he was out of shape, had no lift around the basket, and has become the slowest guy in the NBA.

He'd still be playing 25 minutes a night, which at this stage of his career is good for his health. It allows the Lakers to play Bynum 30 minutes a night which would hopefully keep him healthy. It would allow the Lakers to allow Bynum to rest a game or two per week, making sure he plays no more than 50-55 games making sure he's 100% going into the playoffs. At this point, unless you're going to trade him for Bosh, you already know he's injury prone so a move like this is almost necessary. As crazy as it sounds, Shaq would be the best cheap option out there. From purely a personnel standpoint, it makes the most sense.
qotsa
Senior
And1: 34

Post#72 » by qotsa » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:44 pm

SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,083

Post#73 » by SOUL » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:58 pm

i had a dream he was on the magic :(
Tom Baker
Head Coach

Post#74 » by Tom Baker » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:18 pm

He's already played with Kobe, Wade and LeBron.

Who's left? Durant?
Tom Baker
Head Coach

Post#75 » by Tom Baker » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:20 pm

9abovetherim wrote:Raps :lol:

The worst part is I could see that happening. Seems like a nice short-term, desperate, win-now Colangelo move. :laugh:

Don't know why Shaq does it, though. There aren't any coattails to ride in Toronto.
JustAwesome
Analyst
And1: 78

Post#76 » by JustAwesome » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:12 pm

O'Neal would be a bad fit in Oklahoma. He would slow down the offense. Durant needs an athletic defensive center to play with.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,318

Post#77 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:27 pm

Perhaps Chandler would be a good addition for OKC
NOODLESTYLE
Lead Assistant
And1: 828

Post#78 » by NOODLESTYLE » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:29 pm

I'm guessing Lakers (so he can get his jersey retired), Nets, or Orlando.
NADALbULLS
Banned User

Post#79 » by NADALbULLS » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:45 pm

Orlando? Not unless they trade Dwight Howard lol
NOODLESTYLE
Lead Assistant
And1: 828

Post#80 » by NOODLESTYLE » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:55 pm

NADALbULLS wrote:Orlando? Not unless they trade Dwight Howard lol

Don't need to trade Dwight Howard. Either Shaq comes off the bench or they put Howard at PF (his real position). Perfect way for Shaq to say he will "pass the torch" and train the next Superman or whatever and he gets his chance to make good with Orlando again...or do the same with the Lakers and Bynum.

In his own words, "marketing".

Return to The General Board