Update:NY going for JJ/Amare/Lebron

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

richboy
RealGM
And1: 2,486

Re: Update:NY going for JJ/Amare/Lebron 

Post#61 » by richboy » Sat Jul 3, 2010 9:26 am

HtownPA wrote:
richboy wrote:This is something I said days ago. The whole idea that the Knicks were already giving up on Lebron and targeting Joe Johnson was never true. They were always thinking if they can get a sign and trade with a max free agent and sell Lebron on 2 other guys he be much easier to get.

People have to remember Curry expiring is valuable. I keep hearing why would teams want Curry. Have you not seen what happens in the NBA the last decade. You can trade expiring contracts at the deadline for just about anything. If Chris Paul is traded at the deadline my bet a big expiring contract with be part of a major deal. If Phoenix sucks and they are looking to rebuild an expiring contract will probably be a big part of what sends Steve Nash to another team. Danny Granger, Al Jefferson, Tony Parker any of these guys traded an expiring contract might be a big part of what comes back. If your one of these teams you take Curry contract because it could help you make a big trade later.

Any team that wants cap relief would take a trade exception over an expiring contract, it lowers their payroll immediately. This is especially important, if they are over the luxury tax threshold. An expiring contract still counts in the luxury tax calculations for 1 season.

That may be true. Even though not a huge history of big trade exception deals. Still what would make a team do it is if they also get a young player or players in the deal. Trade exeception is nice but if your the Raptors or Atlanta if you can get a Gallinari/Chandler or both. Plus have Curry contract to dangle at the deadline. You can end up getting 3, 4 really nice players for one lost free agent.

On the flip side the only way I would do this if I was the Knicks is if I knew Lebron or even Wade would sign if we had 2 other max guys.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." John Wooden
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Re: Update:NY going for JJ/Amare/Lebron 

Post#62 » by Ballings7 » Sat Jul 3, 2010 3:56 pm

D'Antoni wants to make the Knicks a more dynamic, deeper Suns team - and I'd take Boston or Orlando or Milwaukee (yes!) over them in a playoff series.

They need to have a couple solid defensive big men, and not play Amare or Bosh at center, in getting them.... because the PF will likely be even more undersized (Shawn Marion in Phoenix).
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics

Return to The General Board