Lebron Related? How come Magic and Larry Bird get a pass

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

B-Scott
Head Coach
And1: 94

Lebron Related? How come Magic and Larry Bird get a pass 

Post#1 » by B-Scott » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:50 am

They never left there team but they both played with multiple all stars. It seems like when young wing players come in to the NBA now days the comparison is always to MJ. Lebron style and mentality to me is more of a more athletic Magic who just wants to win. I wouldnt be surprised if next season Lebron averaged 21 points, but 10 boards and 9 assist.

Magic played with Kareem, Worthy who were both all stars and also Scott, Cooper and more

Bird played with McHale, Parish, Dennis Johnson, Ainge and more

Magic and Bird had quality inside players. Lebron is playing with Wade but he's on the perimiter while Bosh to me is still unproven on a quality team. Even with this team Magic and Bird still had better talent on there teams.
some_rand
Banned User
And1: 2

Re: Lebron Related? How come Magic and Larry Bird get a pass 

Post#2 » by some_rand » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:52 am

B-Scott wrote:They never left there team but ....
B-Scott
Head Coach
And1: 94

Post#3 » by B-Scott » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:54 am

Had Magic lost for 7 straight years in the playoffs you dont know what he would have done. I do know beginning of the 1991 season when the Lakers were 1-3 Magic was crying like a baby before they got rolling.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#4 » by Slava » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:00 am

Didn't Worthy walk into a Lakers team that won the championship before his rookie season?

Oh yeah the reason Magic gets a pass is because of his amazing finals performance as a rookie.
42/15/7 in game 6 of NBA finals as a 20 year old rookie. Never ever compare Magic to a guy who couldn't cut it in 7 seasons. :evil:
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
LakerFan4L
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#5 » by LakerFan4L » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:01 am

They were both drafted by the Lakers and Celtics respectively. Lebron left the team that drafted him.

Thats the difference.
ImmortalD24
Assistant Coach
And1: 281

Post#6 » by ImmortalD24 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:01 am

What happened to you after game 2? :rofl:

Stop pretending to be a Lakers fan. We know whats up.
rjvir
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#7 » by rjvir » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:02 am

j-far wrote:Didn't Worthy walk into a Lakers team that won the championship before his rookie season?

Oh yeah the reason Magic gets a pass is because of his amazing finals performance as a rookie.
42/15/7 in game 6 of NBA finals as a 20 year old rookie. Never ever compare Magic to a guy who couldn't cut it in 7 seasons. :evil:
djay wrote:Name me another center that can dominate offensively more Prime Yao? Perhaps Kareem but I put Yao 7'6 hook over Kareem skyhook any day.
WiseOwlWins
Senior
And1: 170

Post#8 » by WiseOwlWins » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:05 am

they get a pass because their respective management gave them the pieces they needed whether through draft ,trades or FA. this hatred for bron wade and bosh will all diminish when they win mutliple rings and bron averages a triple double.
infinite11285
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,618

Post#9 » by infinite11285 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:07 am

What LeBron did is most comparable to Moses Malone, who joined Dr J in Philly after winning two MVPs.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Slava » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:24 am

kevin2323 wrote:they get a pass because their respective management gave them the pieces they needed whether through draft ,trades or FA. this hatred for bron wade and bosh will all diminish when they win mutliple rings and bron averages a triple double.

Add this. For a player that's being dubbed and marketed as the greatest ever to play the game, he shied away from a challenge. A challenge MJ took on for 7 seasons before he won his first, the challenge Bird and Magic took on to challenge each other season after season, the challenge Kobe took to get back to an elite level after Shaq left and a challenge Jerry West took trying to topple the Celtics in the 60s.

None of these guys threw in the flag to join their competition like Lebron did. Instead they challenged the competition and brought out the best in themselves as well as their competitors. I wonder if Lebron's game becomes stagnant at such a young age because after Kobe is done being dominant I really don't see any much competition for these guys unless Melo, CP3, Durant and Dwight make a team together.
radrmd216
Rookie
And1: 8

Post#11 » by radrmd216 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:32 am

I would it is different for a few reasons.

Lebron made an concentrated effort to join the team of a top 3 NBA player instead of trying to beat him.

Lebron seems to be an egomaniac.

Comparatively the league has more concentrated talent. Lebron might have been able to win a ring or two in Cleveland if he stayed, but he chose not to and decided to join another top players team, so it would be easier to win a ring.

I don't think winning should diminish the hate for lebron. He brought it on himself and he deserves it. Also video clips or video biographies will show how much of an ego Lebron has, how bad he handled free agency, and people burning his jerseys' (justifiably so).
WiseOwlWins
Senior

Post#12 » by WiseOwlWins » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:38 am

j-far wrote:
kevin2323 wrote:they get a pass because their respective management gave them the pieces they needed whether through draft ,trades or FA. this hatred for bron wade and bosh will all diminish when they win mutliple rings and bron averages a triple double.

Add this. For a player that's being dubbed and marketed as the greatest ever to play the game, he shied away from a challenge. A challenge MJ took on for 7 seasons before he won his first, the challenge Bird and Magic took on to challenge each other season after season, the challenge Kobe took to get back to an elite level after Shaq left and a challenge Jerry West took trying to topple the Celtics in the 60s.

None of these guys threw in the flag to join their competition like Lebron did. Instead they challenged the competition and brought out the best in themselves as well as their competitors. I wonder if Lebron's game becomes stagnant at such a young age because after Kobe is done being dominant I really don't see any much competition for these guys unless Melo, CP3, Durant and Dwight make a team together.

yea and he is the smartest of the group, he knows he cant do it with the supporting cast in cleveland. neither could kobe....and still cant as proven in his terrible finals performance. cmon stop calling this kid a quitter. he may have not stayed and accepted your challenge but he accepted an even bigger one, one in which kobe nor jordan has done. take less money, put ur ego in a box and win multiple rings with another superstar. he wont be the GOAT no one can, jordan was it, his impact on the game goes way beyond what he did on the court. no one will ever touch that. lebron made the smart move of taking multiple rings in miami and being known for being on probably the greatest trio of all time instead of staying in cleveland and winning 1 maybe 2 if all the planets align and being known as the guy that won 2 rings and is close to jordan statistically.
WiseOwlWins
Senior

Post#13 » by WiseOwlWins » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:40 am

radrmd216 wrote:I would it is different for a few reasons.

Lebron made an concentrated effort to join the team of a top 3 NBA player instead of trying to beat him.

Comparatively the league has more concentrated talent. Lebron might have been able to win a ring or two in Cleveland if he stayed, but he chose not to and decided to join another top players team, so it would be easier to win a ring.

I don't think winning should diminish the hate for lebron. He brought it on himself and he deserves it. Also video clips or video biographies will show how much of an ego Lebron has, how bad he handled free agency, and people burning his jerseys' (justifiably so).

jordan and kobe dont have go's at all right? pure hatred for no good reason, yes lebron handled free agency terribly, big deal doesnt take away from his legacy at all. u think if management told kobe HEY KOBE WE GOT LEBRON IN A SIGN AND TRADE he wouldnt want it? or even dwight howard to the lakers. you think kobe would say no? it's the same freakin thing.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Slava » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:51 am

kevin2323 wrote:
j-far wrote:

yea and he is the smartest of the group, he knows he cant do it with the supporting cast in cleveland. neither could kobe....and still cant as proven in his terrible finals performance. cmon stop calling this kid a quitter. he may have not stayed and accepted your challenge but he accepted an even bigger one, one in which kobe nor jordan has done. take less money, put ur ego in a box and win multiple rings with another superstar. he wont be the GOAT no one can, jordan was it, his impact on the game goes way beyond what he did on the court. no one will ever touch that. lebron made the smart move of taking multiple rings in miami and being known for being on probably the greatest trio of all time instead of staying in cleveland and winning 1 maybe 2 if all the planets align and being known as the guy that won 2 rings and is close to jordan statistically.

That's a loser mentality brought up in its finest form. Thanks for supporting my argument involuntarily.
Googjob
Sixth Man
And1: 361

Post#15 » by Googjob » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:52 am

[quote="B-Scott"]They never left there team[quote]
deviljets7
Lead Assistant
And1: 24

Post#16 » by deviljets7 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:52 am

With LeBron, it isn't solely that he left Cleveland for greener pastures but that he went to a team that not only had 2 of the top 12 players in the league, but a team where he wasn't even going to be "the man" instead of trying to fight one of the league's top duos.

While he would have gotten a lot of criticism for leaving the Cavs, it would not have been as significant if he went to the Bulls, Knicks or Nets. While those teams have talented pieces in place (Chicago especially), those are all places he had just as good of a shot of winning at and he still would have been the man.
enetric wrote:You have the perfect fat% to sit on your butt, eat crap and WATCH someone else do it though. Hell, at that body fat% you might be a starter.
WiseOwlWins
Senior

Post#17 » by WiseOwlWins » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:55 am

That's a loser mentality brought up in its finest form. Thanks for supporting my argument involuntarily.[/quote]

in your opinion of course.
which of course you are entitled to have. And I would totally disagree and say most of these posts are made by simply sore losers imo.
WiseOwlWins
Senior

Post#18 » by WiseOwlWins » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:56 am

deviljets7 wrote:

With LeBron, it isn't solely that he left Cleveland for greener pastures but that he went to a team that not only had 2 of the top 12 players in the league, but a team where he wasn't even going to be "the man" instead of trying to fight one of the league's top duos.

While he would have gotten a lot of criticism for leaving the Cavs, it would not have been as significant if he went to the Bulls, Knicks or Nets. While those teams have talented pieces in place (Chicago especially), those are all places he had just as good of a shot of winning at and he still would have been the man.

lebron doesnt want a shot at winning a ring, he wants a shot every year, he wants to be in the finals every year for the rest of his career. miami is the only spot he could do that in. all under the cap.
Tim_Hardawayy
RealGM
And1: 8,093

Post#19 » by Tim_Hardawayy » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:00 am

Jordan has warped NBA fans' sense of reality, to the point that it is perceived as more important to be "The Man" even in a losing cause than it is to be an important contributor to a winner.

That's how you get people who look at Allen Iverson as a hero for being a ballhog chucker and leading his team to the Finals to get their ass kicked against the Lakers, but they call a great Detroit TEAM who beat the Lakers in 2004 a fluke.

NBA fans in general are a dumb group, more interested in player mixes on youtube than celebrating any sense of team value. There are more player fans in this sport, and by that I mean people that will specifically root for a player rather than a team, than in any other team sport out there.

On this board alone, I can name at least 5 different posters that root for a team Kobe doesn't play on, but dedicate over 80% of their posts towards Kobe (one of them is in my sig). Its a fascinating phenomenon.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Slava » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:03 am

kevin2323 wrote:
j-far wrote:That's a loser mentality brought up in its finest form. Thanks for supporting my argument involuntarily.

in your opinion of course.
which of course you are entitled to have. And I would totally disagree and say most of these posts are made by simply sore losers imo.

Simply look at the 3 guys that have teamed up now.

Bosh: Couldn't cut it in Toronto. Had more than decent supporting cast but terrible coaching and he couldn't manage more than 8(?) playoff games in his career. Strong case of being close to a dominant scorer and an alpha male player who can take the heat off him and let him be a 2nd option. Wade fits him fine.

Wade: A solid competitor. Known to be clutch, won a ring before, finals MVP and stuck with his team through thick and thin. Always made his intentions known that he expects another player to come in and support him than go elsewhere and hop on a good team.

Lebron: 2 regular season MVPs on some good teams that were flawed when it came to executing in the playoffs. Known to be more inclined towards establishing himself as an icon than as a champion. Often criticized for not having the killer instinct of a championship team's leader but still has the potential to improve, given his age.

He took the perfect way out and instead of improving himself and his team he jumped onto another man's shade and might look to use his new accolades to promote himself more.

Return to The General Board