Jeremy Lin signs with Golden State (Page 26)

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

NOODLESTYLE
Lead Assistant
And1: 828

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Warriors sign Jeremy Lin 

Post#481 » by NOODLESTYLE » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:19 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqBBn0Yz3tY&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
87BlazerMan
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Warriors sign Jeremy Lin? 

Post#482 » by 87BlazerMan » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:22 pm

ahonui06 wrote:
Promezclan wrote:
ahonui06 wrote:
If Hawaii had a basketball team, Lin would be in Heaven.

Asian population of Bay Area: 1.53 million
Total population of Hawaii: 1.29 million
Asian population of Hawaii: 0.50 million

Touche. But, as a percentage, Asians are the majority in Hawaii. But, yes, after going to college in the Bay Area, Lin should get tons of support from the Asian community.

500,000 / 1,290,000 = .39

Asians make up less than 40% of the population of Hawaii. Usually it takes more than 50% for there to be a majority.
ahonui06
Banned User
And1: 15

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Warriors sign Jeremy Lin? 

Post#483 » by ahonui06 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:31 pm

87BlazerMan wrote:
ahonui06 wrote:
Promezclan wrote:
Asian population of Bay Area: 1.53 million
Total population of Hawaii: 1.29 million
Asian population of Hawaii: 0.50 million

Touche. But, as a percentage, Asians are the majority in Hawaii. But, yes, after going to college in the Bay Area, Lin should get tons of support from the Asian community.

500,000 / 1,290,000 = .39

Asians make up less than 40% of the population of Hawaii. Usually it takes more than 50% for there to be a majority.

Hawaii is a very diverse place and therefore Asians have the highest % of the population in Hawaii at 39%. Therefore, they are the majority population here in Hawaii.
Promezclan
Starter
And1: 948

Post#484 » by Promezclan » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:35 pm

Technically the term for the largest group, if it's less than 50%, is a "plurality". But, I know what you mean. Pretty moot discussion, anyway, because Hawa'ii does't have a team. I think we can all agree that Lin is on the team where he will have the most support.
hayden
Veteran
And1: 548

Re: Jeremy Lin should make the NBA 

Post#485 » by hayden » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:44 pm

azuresou1 wrote:You don't know that Lin identifies more with Taiwanese culture. He's never said anything about Taiwan or China, that's all speculation.

It's absurd that you think Chinese-Americans are 'commies' because we take pride in our nation, if not the government, or that we are somehow a proxy for the CCCP's policies and beliefs because we realize that 'Taiwanese-American' makes as much sense as calling someone a "South-Korean-American" or a "Northern-Irish-American."

Educate yourself:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwanese_American
duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,132

Post#486 » by duppyy » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:45 pm

Is it really breaking news it noone really cares?
ahonui06
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#487 » by ahonui06 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:47 pm

Promezclan wrote:Technically the term for the largest group, if it's less than 50%, is a "plurality". But, I know what you mean. Pretty moot discussion, anyway, because Hawa'ii does't have a team. I think we can all agree that Lin is on the team where he will have the most support.

This is true. Lin will have a ton of outpouring from the Bay Area community. Hopefully, Don Nelson allows this rookie some PT. He should be given a chance just like Reggie Williams and all the other D-Leaguers the Warriors called up last season.
da.vid
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#488 » by da.vid » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:00 pm

is american an ethnicity? (im just wondering)
NOODLESTYLE
Lead Assistant

Post#489 » by NOODLESTYLE » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:09 pm

da.vid wrote:is american an ethnicity? (im just wondering)

Nationality.

Although generally people who use the term "American" identify people from the United States, some may argue that the term American can refer to anyone from North or South America.
NOODLESTYLE
Lead Assistant

Post#490 » by NOODLESTYLE » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:13 pm

http://www.thecrimson.com/blog/the-back ... -warriors/

Since news leaked Tuesday night that Lin would sign with the NBA's Golden State Warriors, Lin has been approached with a number of endorsement opportunities, including a shoe deal, his agent Roger Montgomery told The Crimson Wednesday morning.

When Lin signs with the Warriors on Wednesday at 11 a.m. PST in Oakland, Calif., he will become just the fourth Asian American to sign an NBA contract—making him the perfect marketing opportunity with the strong Asian American community in the San Francisco Bay Area.

“I think he’s going to shore up our backcourt—that’s for sure,” said Robert Rowell, president of the Warriors. “I also think the signing is going to be great for the Bay Area market. I think he is going to be a lightning rod… We have a very large fan contingent that will be excited to have Jeremy on our team.”
TOStateofMind
RealGM
And1: 21,330

Post#491 » by TOStateofMind » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:19 pm

this thread :nonono:
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,593

Post#492 » by sixerswillrule » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:21 pm

Ethnicity typically relates to heritage or ancestry. So you're not of American ethnicity unless you're Native American. Usually when someone is called a ______-American, the blank is the ethnicity with American nationality.
SolidSnake008
Banned User

Post#493 » by SolidSnake008 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:21 pm

Rayce wrote:this thread :nonono:
no dice
Rookie
And1: 731

Post#494 » by no dice » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:38 pm

should edit title to jeremy lin should be taiwanese or chinese for headsup.

**** this ****.
hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,664

Post#495 » by hype_2004 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:38 pm

96 Til Infiniti wrote:Good for him, after every D1 school didn't think he was going to make it he get's an NBA contract. Gotta feel good about that.

**** the NCAA and esp Div 1 schools, Jeremy Lin earned his time on the basketball court by excelling academically as well as athletically. You would think the parasites and leeches from NCAA div 1 would consider him the cream of the crop when when recruitiing "STUDENT" athletes. NCAA div 1 system is a slave system, I'm glad this kid got overlooked he needed not make money for the slavemaster deans of the NCAA.
hype_2004
RealGM

Post#496 » by hype_2004 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:41 pm

NOODLESTYLE wrote:http://www.thecrimson.com/blog/the-back-page/article/2010/7/20/lin-going-rowell-warriors/

Since news leaked Tuesday night that Lin would sign with the NBA's Golden State Warriors, Lin has been approached with a number of endorsement opportunities, including a shoe deal, his agent Roger Montgomery told The Crimson Wednesday morning.

When Lin signs with the Warriors on Wednesday at 11 a.m. PST in Oakland, Calif., he will become just the fourth Asian American to sign an NBA contract—making him the perfect marketing opportunity with the strong Asian American community in the San Francisco Bay Area.

“I think he’s going to shore up our backcourt—that’s for sure,” said Robert Rowell, president of the Warriors. “I also think the signing is going to be great for the Bay Area market. I think he is going to be a lightning rod… We have a very large fan contingent that will be excited to have Jeremy on our team.”

He would make an ideal spokesperson for Li-Ning, to break into the huge North American market. This kid would make millions in endorsements, he won the genetic lottery as far as I'm concern, the odds of a ethnic Han Taiwanese national making it in the NBA is quite staggering,
kingscourt
Sophomore

Post#497 » by kingscourt » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:44 pm

Harvard is a D1 college. It just doesn't offer athletic scholarships
hype_2004
RealGM

Post#498 » by hype_2004 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:47 pm

kingscourt wrote:Harvard is a D1 college. It just doesn't offer athletic scholarships

Lkike I said F the NCAA, Harvard or not he earned his playing time by excelling academically and athletically, nothing was spoon fed to this kid. Everything he has done from this money he earned through hard-work.
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#499 » by azuresou1 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:56 pm

hayden wrote:
azuresou1 wrote:You don't know that Lin identifies more with Taiwanese culture. He's never said anything about Taiwan or China, that's all speculation.

It's absurd that you think Chinese-Americans are 'commies' because we take pride in our nation, if not the government, or that we are somehow a proxy for the CCCP's policies and beliefs because we realize that 'Taiwanese-American' makes as much sense as calling someone a "South-Korean-American" or a "Northern-Irish-American."

Educate yourself:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwanese_American

Demographic research tends to include immigrants from mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan as well as overseas Chinese who have immigrated from South East Asia into the broadly-defined Chinese American category as both the governments of the Republic of China (as ethnic Chinese, not Chinese that alludes to the statehood of China) and the United States account for Taiwanese Americans as a subgroup of Chinese Americans.[3][4][5]

But hey, I don't know what I'm talking about because I'm a commie, right? SMFH at this kid.
jayrehme
Sixth Man
And1: 508

Post#500 » by jayrehme » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:28 pm

SWEET....I usually don't get jerseys, but gonna have to get his. It actually is a good signing for the warriors, he is athletic, but in a different way, not sure what that means. I only watched him in summer league, but he hustles and plays smart defense. Intelligence is underrated on defense, being able to read the opponent and dissect his next move is important. He also drives to the hole real well (probably calculated the percentages and figured close shots were better). Now if he can be taught to be a good pass and disher than he'll excel in this league.

Return to The General Board