How much better can Brandon Roy get?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

lilojmayo
Veteran
And1: 356

Re: How much better can Brandon Roy get? 

Post#41 » by lilojmayo » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:41 am

Winsome Gerbil wrote:At his age he's about topped out, and his production has plateaued as well. Let's say he could maybe bump it a point or 2 in his prime be a 23 5 and 5 or 24 5 and 5 guy. Great numbers, but closer to Ray Allen in his prime numbers than Kobe in his pime numbers, and very unlikely to ever be Top 5.

Especially with OJ Mayo about to explode past him into worldwide dominance/superherodom. :lol:

Brandon Roy is one of the best ballers in the game. 3rd best SG in the game. That speaks volumes of what OJ Mayo is about to do this season. Every NBA SG should brace themselves for the second coming to occur
OJ Mayo , Michael Jordan , Allen Iverson.
Jaykoolzboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 95

Post#42 » by Jaykoolzboy » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:43 am

I think best comparison to Brandon Roy is Mitch Richmond who was a stud in every single way, only difference is Roy has a team and Mitch never really have any help until late of his career.
Fred Williamson
Lead Assistant
And1: 517

Post#43 » by Fred Williamson » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:15 am

lol wut? Mitch Richmond? They aren't similar at all besides their stats line.
Yangsing
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Post#44 » by Yangsing » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:37 am

Top 10 and that's about it. He'll never put up gaudy scoring numbers because he plays at a slow pace which fits Portland's system.
erekose200
Senior
And1: 126

Post#45 » by erekose200 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:49 pm

Roy has reached his ceiling as his stats plainly indicate. Considering he lacks any other star scorer on the team his PPG is pretty low. He's a decent player but lacks the speed, athleticism and defence to significantly improve. Plus he has reached prime age.
ptown08
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#46 » by ptown08 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:04 pm

erekose200 wrote:Roy has reached his ceiling as his stats plainly indicate. Considering he lacks any other star scorer on the team his PPG is pretty low. He's a decent player but lacks the speed, athleticism and defence to significantly improve. Plus he has reached prime age.

He's been in the league for four years, can you really say without a doubt that he has peaked. 26 years old and he can't improve? It's not like he's an old 26 having played since he was 18.
Get Healthy Big Fella
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#47 » by princeofpalace » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:06 pm

Roy is who he is IMO.

Hes at the prime of his career, don't see him making the leap into superstardom
DaeDae
Analyst
And1: 661

Post#48 » by DaeDae » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:20 pm

I'm not sure he's even top 10.

Mamba
LeDoosh
Durantula
Deuce Bigelo
Melo
Superman
CP3
Dirk
Dwill
Duncan

there are others who if someone argued being ahead of him, I wouldn't protest too much.
Red Larrivee wrote:The Bulls have too many untouchables for a team without a second option.
BballFanAddict
Analyst
And1: 36
Location: "The face of a child says a lot, especially the mouth part."

Post#49 » by BballFanAddict » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:48 pm

I agree with most people in this thread. Roy is a very special player. He is a perennial All Star. He embodies what is great about the game as he plays very unselfish; handles himself very well on and off the court; and makes his teammates better in the process.

With that said, he is not a top 5 player in this league by the definition most people use. What I mean by this is he does not score like Durant, nor is he as dominant as Wade, Lebron, Kobe, Howard and Paul.

Could he be? Maybe. While I do not believe he is a top 5 player, I believe it may have more to do with his attitude than it does his ability. Because the fact is he could be a lot more selfish and a lot more dominant if he chose to be. I believe he proved that well in the playoffs verses Houston. He had Battier and Artest on him; Adelman knew that Roy was Portland's only real offensive option; yet Roy torched them. He was the definition of dominant. In his first playoff series. Not even Durant can say that.

What I do not believe to be true is that he has hit some unseen ceiling. People on RealGM have been saying that every year this kid has been in the league. It makes zero sense. Even Kobe improved several parts of his game over the last several years and he is 5 years older and has way more years in the league. Players improve via experience and practice. To say Roy will not is asinine and stupid; I am amazed these same people cannot admit they were wrong each of the last 3 years.

I believe Roy will play his best year of his career this year. But, he still will never reach top 5 status.
treis
RealGM
And1: 60

Post#50 » by treis » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:44 pm

BballFanAddict wrote:With that said, he is not a top 5 player in this league by the definition most people use.

What other definition besides "one of the 5 best players in the league" is there for "a top 5 player"?
BballFanAddict
Analyst
And1: 36
Location: "The face of a child says a lot, especially the mouth part."

Post#51 » by BballFanAddict » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:35 pm

treis wrote:
BballFanAddict wrote:With that said, he is not a top 5 player in this league by the definition most people use.

What other definition besides "one of the 5 best players in the league" is there for "a top 5 player"?

I am in that same group of people when I say most people use. However, I believe you may get a different list from GM's and Coaches who actually know the NBA better than board jockey's like us realgm frequenters.

For example, I have seen some people rate KD just after Kobe, Lebron and Wade, while some have even put him higher. Seems odd to me, because I do not believe Allen Iverson was considered top 3 when he won the scoring title. That is my point. Some rate top 5 based upon scoring alone, while others may look at an all around game.

But this is besides the point. I did not mean to imply Roy is top 5 under any criterion.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,873

Post#52 » by JasonStern » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:32 pm

Yangsing wrote:Top 10 and that's about it.

I feel he is top 10 already, but I do agree that I don't see him ever moving up past the 7-10 range.

erekose200 wrote:Roy has reached his ceiling as his stats plainly indicate. Considering he lacks any other star scorer on the team his PPG is pretty low. He's a decent player but lacks the speed, athleticism and defence to significantly improve. Plus he has reached prime age.

which is in his favor as his game does not rely heavily on athleticism, meaning he should have a long playing career.

EtchenBa wrote:Prime Ginobili is probably a good comparison because they're both great SGs who could be at the lower end of 1st options, but would be the very best of 2nd options

given there are 30 teams, I challenge you to name 20 players that are better 1st options than roy.

that said, presuming durant continues to get better, he could have possibly reached pippen status had the draft gone differently...
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
EtchenBa
Starter
And1: 573

Post#53 » by EtchenBa » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:40 pm

JasonStern wrote:
Yangsing wrote:Top 10 and that's about it.

I feel he is top 10 already, but I do agree that I don't see him ever moving up past the 7-10 range.

which is in his favor as his game does not rely heavily on athleticism, meaning he should have a long playing career.

EtchenBa wrote:Prime Ginobili is probably a good comparison because they're both great SGs who could be at the lower end of 1st options, but would be the very best of 2nd options

given there are 30 teams, I challenge you to name 20 players that are better 1st options than roy.

that said, presuming durant continues to get better, he could have possibly reached pippen status had the draft gone differently...

I meant on a contender.

Return to The General Board