Fraschilla Navarro, Spanoulis, Diamantidis Should Be In NBA

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,074
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Re: Fraschilla Navarro, Spanoulis, Diamantidis Should Be In NBA 

Post#41 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:37 pm

Spanoulis blows man. We saw him play, and get a chance to prove himself, and he sucked.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
_SRV_
Analyst
And1: 2

Post#42 » by _SRV_ » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:46 pm

markdeez33 wrote:i think a lot of these FIBA guys could break an NBA rotation

They could but they would be no where near the magnitude of stardom they get in Europe. Navarro can play, he could be deadly 6th or 7th man, but not a face of a franchise like in Barcelona.
xx_skaterdude_xx wrote:Kobe gets bailed out more than Wall Street.
jowy
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#43 » by jowy » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:51 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:Spanoulis blows man. We saw him play, and get a chance to prove himself, and he sucked.

He struggled because he is not a long distance shooter and also is not athletic enough to do his game at SG position. I think he should have played point guard in order to be succesfull in the Nba.
Greek
Starter
And1: 447

Post#44 » by Greek » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:01 pm

I really believe that VSpan had all the skills to be a player in the NBA (not saying star, but good player). BUT thats not enough. You have to be mentally ready too, and that was the problem. He wasnt. Maybe a part of it was that he lost his father from a really young age, so family was really important for him.

Diamantidis yes, in his prime could play there like Papaloukas, but he is so low profile, and he was always answering that he dont feel that he is good enough to play there.

Bouroussis: I think that he will try next summer, as he said after he signed his last contract. He will be 28, on his prime, with a great teacher as a coach (Ivkovic, the current Serbia's coach)

Printezis: I expect him to try there since he is drafted from Raptors if i am not mistaken on the 2nd round.

Calathes: This season will have much larger role on Panathinaikos, and if he develops his game as expected, i think that he has the highest chance to try, since he was born in the U.S.

Young generation:

Papanikolaou: An athletic forward, who is expected to see some play time this season, but playing in a power house like Olympiacos nothing is guaranteed. Good thing for him, is that Greek NT is now on a rebuilt mode, so i guess he will be in next summer.

Linos Chrysikopoulos: I dont know a lot about him, other than he is very athletic, (33 vertical) 6'8, with huge wingspan. Very young, lets wait a few years to see how he will develops.

P.S. Greece has an NBA player. Koufos. For how long will stay there is a good question though.
Alyosha12
Analyst
And1: 178

Post#45 » by Alyosha12 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:03 pm

I think most of you guys are mistaking being an NBA role player(which most of these guys could be) with being a starter.
Spanish_Laker
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,010

Post#46 » by Spanish_Laker » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:38 pm

ahonui06 wrote:Navarro and Spanoulis have both been in the NBA before and they both were terrible.

Navarro was fine, he was one of the greatest rookie shooters ever, but he didn't fit in defensively. He's better than 50% of NBA guards for sure, and Spanoulis, you saw what he did to Team USA (Lebron, Melo, Wade ...) back in 2006...
Banned after 15 years in this forum for no reason. Farewell RealGM users
SDM
RealGM
And1: 947

Post#47 » by SDM » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:18 pm

Wasn't Toronto looking at Diamantidis a few years ago and he wanted to stay in Europe?
BubbaTee
Head Coach
And1: 546

Post#48 » by BubbaTee » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:00 pm

I don't get it. How can the NBA allow players like Navarro and Spanoulis to play in other leagues, when the NBA is trying to convince everyone that it has all the world's best players?

WTF, they're not slaves. If they don't want to play in the NBA, David Stern can't force them to.

OMG I saw the Birmingham Barons play in 1994 and how could the NBA allow this Michael Jordan guy to play baseball?! This Jordan fellow was clearly better than many of the players in the 1994 NBA, so how could the NBA claim to have the best players?

I decided right then and there that I would never watch the NBA again!
hard work
Sophomore

Post#49 » by hard work » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:54 pm

I went to a coach's clinic that had Jeff Van Gundy as a guest speaker. JVG said that Spanoulis couldn't play dead if he asked him to.
FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
And1: 2,064

Post#50 » by FJS » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:54 pm

ahonui06 wrote:Navarro and Spanoulis have both been in the NBA before and they both were terrible.

Navarro did a fine job. He was in the 2nd rookie team, and he was not used at all.
He could continue, but he prefered to play in Spain.
Jase
RealGM
And1: 158

Post#51 » by Jase » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:23 pm

I feel like we were robbed of really getting to see Jasikeviciust and Navarro getting the chance of being real contributors in the NBA. It's good to see JCN this summer, he's a helluva talent.
"A winner listens. A loser just waits until it's their turn to talk."
papfankon
Pro Prospect
And1: 61

Post#52 » by papfankon » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:51 pm

Diamantidis,even at his age would have a role in the nba.HIs mind is holding him back.There is always room for smart hard working defensive players.
BarbaGrizz
Analyst
And1: 1,553

Post#53 » by BarbaGrizz » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:54 pm

Sham wrote:
PF Guilherme Giovanoni - Brian Scalabrine with Jaric´s wife

This needs proving

Ok, maybe not on Jaric´s level...but good enough for me :lol:

Celtic Koala wrote:The only player from the 90s that would have been a top 10 player in the modern league would have been MJ and if you stretch it a bit Olajuwon

bstein14 wrote:Mikan is much worse than Luka Garza, who can't even make an NBA roster today
Three34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 123

Post#54 » by Three34 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:55 pm

Well now that IS a big pussy.
BB Chrome
Junior

Post#55 » by BB Chrome » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:23 pm

Spanoulis had good flashes but had a huge FRAGILE ego upon entering the NBA.

JVG and Spanoulis had a torrid relationship that forever changed Spanoulis' desire to play again in the NBA. Spanoulis felt he should start and was rumored to have told JVG that where he is from, he is Tracy Mcgrady, to which JVG replied, Well, over here...Mcgrady is Mcgrady and your ass sits in silence until I say play.

When the Rockets traded Spanoulis to S.A. for the rights to Luis Scola, the Spurs thought they had the better end of the deal as the Spurs were certain they could convince Spanoulis to stay and play.

Jeff Van Gundy emasculated Spanoulis to such a degree, he refuses to take an NBA paycheck. Many teams would love to have his energy off the bench...however, Spanoulis has decided that he would rather be a big fish in a small pond, instead of taking more money and playing less in the NBA.

Return to The General Board