Oklahoma City Thunder: Fool's Gold or Real Deal?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Oklahoma City Thunder

Fool's Gold?
54%
The Real Deal?
46%

Total votes: 87

WillyJakkz
RealGM
And1: 3,430

Oklahoma City Thunder: Fool's Gold or Real Deal? 

Post#1 » by WillyJakkz » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:07 am

Oklahoma City Thunder

The Oklahoma City Thunder has one of, if not the most dynamic player in the NBA in GF Kevin Durant and loads of young, talented players in Russell Westrook, F Jeff Green, G James Harden, and newly drafted C Cole Aldrich (who is gonna make it very difficult on opposing players trying to score near the rim) rounding out a very exciting young team.

W/ that said, I think they may have a hard time out West this season.

The NBA is all about matchups and OKC was a great matchup for LA (the same way the Hawks matched up GREAT w/ the Celtics) but I really think they're going to struggle against teams this season and I think that 2010 playoff appearance may have been "Fool's Gold".

There are a number of other young teams (Portland/ Sacramento/ LA Clippers/ Golden State/ Memphis/ Minnesota) and veteran teams (Dallas/ San Antonio/ Houston/ Utah/ Phoenix) that are poised to return to form to challenge the LA Lakers out West and I'm starting to see OKC as a middle of the pack team at best and I really think alot of teams are gonna be gunnin' for Durant this season.

Or am I just trippin' and OKC is the real deal and a legit championship caliber team?

I don't think I'm trippin' and I think they may be "Fool's Gold".
pross
Veteran
And1: 174

Re: Oklahoma City Thunder: Fool's Gold or Real Deal? 

Post#2 » by pross » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:13 am

I think they're overrated.

Don't get me wrong, I think they're a fantastic team and will be in the playoffs again, but I think they slightly overachieved last year. I think they'll end up around the same position (6-8 seed) which is still fantastic for a young team. They're still needing that a better PF/C option to go to and then they'll be legit. I seriously don't know how people are putting them as a championship contender.
Jimmy76
RealGM
And1: 8

Post#3 » by Jimmy76 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:14 am

Theres been a lot of people saying something similar

Thunder outperformed most peoples expectations last year I expect they'll beat out the predictions they will regress this isn't some talentless chemistry based team that had one spark year

Seems like people are just trying to go against the trend to go against the trend since the Thunder are so talked about right now
DWadeno3
RealGM
And1: 2,941

Post#4 » by DWadeno3 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:19 am

They're neither a legit championship team nor a mediocre squad out West. They're a young squad on the rise who will continue to improve this season. Remember, all their players are ridiculously young and have a ton of upside. Especially Westbrook and Durant will have just gotten better through their Team USA experience and Cole Aldrich is a very nice addition to an already more than competitive roster. You don't just win 50 games by accident and then fall out of the picture the year afterwards after improving an already good roster. They finally have a banger down low (Aldrich) and I'm looking for a breakout season from Serge Ibaka. So tell me what makes the Kings, Clippers, Warriors, Grizzlies, Wolves and Rockets better than them? Why would a young and talented team with that chemistry decline?

I wouldn't be surprised if they would end up being the no.2 or 3 seed in the west to be quite honest.

#HeatLifer
Malinhion
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#5 » by Malinhion » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:22 am

It's going to hinge on the development of Harden.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#6 » by shangrila » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:26 am

It'll depend on Jeff Green, Harden's development and Aldrich's impact. If they want to go anywhere they need to be able to rebound, which Green and Aldrich will need to do, and Harden needs to become a more consistent scorer.
DonKilluminati
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#7 » by DonKilluminati » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:30 am

Malinhion wrote:It's going to hinge on the development of Harden.

And Cole's ability to be an impact player right out of the gates. Kristic is a great player to back up your starting bigs, but I just don't think the Thunder can make a step forward with a starting front-court featuring both Green and Kristic. It's just...too soft

I'd be more worried that Aldrich stinks up the joint than Harden does. Having an exceptional defensive minded center changes everything.
Agenda42
General Manager
And1: 461

Post#8 » by Agenda42 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:31 am

If the standard here is "championship contender", I'm going with fool's gold. The Thunder just don't have the size to hang with the Lakers and Heat. Durant and Westbrook is a totally solid 1-2 punch, and they have pretty reasonable depth, but they're just too weak on the low block to contend yet.
Milkdud
RealGM
And1: 137

Post#9 » by Milkdud » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:33 am

I think they are overrated, though they will be a good team and a playoff team still. I don't buy Aldrich as being this defensive impact big that many people are just assuming he will be day one.
WillyJakkz
RealGM

Post#10 » by WillyJakkz » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:33 am

DWadeno3 wrote:Remember, all their players are ridiculously young and have a ton of upside.

So tell me what makes the Kings, Clippers, Warriors, Grizzlies, Wolves and Rockets better than them? Why would a young and talented team with that chemistry decline?

I wouldn't be surprised if they would end up being the no.2 or 3 seed in the west to be quite honest.

1: Yeah but those players are due for extensions really soon so who's gonna be the odd man out since they can't pay all of those guys and hopefully they don't do like the "Baby Bulls" etc. and allow thes guys to mature then leave w/ out good compensation or worse yet, extend the wrong players (i.e. Deng/ Hinrich over Gordon).
In other words, who do they pay/ who do they trade?

2: Kings: Tyreke is really damn good and I'm willing to bet that Big Cous aka DeMarcus Cousins is gonna be a stud so they'll be nipping at OKC's heels and if they get the right wing compliment for Evans then forget about it.

Clippers: Gordon & Griifin, great young compliments and who knows what Aminu can develop into and they still have Kaman and Baron can still bring it.

Warriors/ Grizz are just young talented teams who can be competitive.

Minnesota got a steal in Michael Beasley who in college was every bit the scorer Durant was while Kevin Love should blossom at PF.

Rockets w/ healthy Yao Ming and Co. > Thunder.

3. I'd be very surprised if the Thunder were the 2nd or 3rd seed in the West.
Jimmy76
RealGM

Post#11 » by Jimmy76 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:40 am

Clippers, Wolves, Kings, and Warriors won't compete with the Thunder this season I'd make some kind of sig bet but Im booked

Not sure how extensions relate to how well they will do this season

I don't think they're tier 1 contenders yet but they could easily be borderline contenders this year

Whats the basis for the claim that they're going to regress? Why?
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#12 » by Wizenheimer » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:42 am

I think they've become overrated at RealGM. Everything broke in their favor last season. Opponents won't be overlooking them this season, and it's hard to imagine them going 2 seasons in a row without any injuries to rotation players exceeding 3 consecutive games

that said, they've bought into a team defense concept and that's something that will help carry them when their shots aren't falling

I'd be amazed if they're in the top-3 seeds though
mrfatwrecker
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#13 » by mrfatwrecker » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:44 am

DWadeno3 wrote:You don't just win 50 games by accident and then fall out of the picture the year afterwards after improving an already good roster.

Hornets
That Nicka
Banned User
And1: 34

Post#14 » by That Nicka » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:46 am

They are a good team, but I dont think they will be much better than last season... Probly 50-52 wins
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,058

Post#15 » by UGA Hayes » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:46 am

I dont know I think they are going to be pretty good. They potnetially have a lot of A-A+ defenders on that team. I do think they need to play Durant at the four more so that Green doesn't play as much
Jimmy76
RealGM

Post#16 » by Jimmy76 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:46 am

mrfatwrecker wrote:
DWadeno3 wrote:You don't just win 50 games by accident and then fall out of the picture the year afterwards after improving an already good roster.

Hornets

So this proves the Thunder will regress? Chandler and Peja fell off a cliff who is gonna drop off significantly on the Thunder?
mrfatwrecker
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#17 » by mrfatwrecker » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:49 am

I'm not saying this WILL happen, just pointing out an example that invalidates the point.
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,884

Post#18 » by JF5 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:50 am

Fool's gold....

They need a post player....

They don't have a playmaker on the team aswell which is really going to hurt them.

And like someone said before. They won't be able to resign the young talent they have.
D-31
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#19 » by D-31 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:52 am

Jimmy76 wrote:
mrfatwrecker wrote:

Hornets

So this proves the Thunder will regress? Chandler and Peja fell off a cliff who is gonna drop off significantly on the Thunder?

Jazz, haven't done anything since 2007.
WillyJakkz
RealGM

Post#20 » by WillyJakkz » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:52 am

Jimmy76 wrote:Clippers and Kings won't compete with the Thunder this season and im not sure how extensions relate to how well they will do this season

I don't think they're tier 1 contenders yet but they could easily be borderline contenders this year

Whats the basis for the claim that they're going to regress? Why?

I never said they'd regress due to them getting worse (if that's what you're thinking), it's just that teams are (once again) starting out the season healthy (Rockets have Yao back, Portland has Roy & soon Oden back, Spurs have Manu & Parker back) while some young teams (Kings namely w/ Cousins and TWolves w/ Beasley) have gotten markedly better.

What makes you think the Clippers will be noncompetitive this season w/ a healthy Blake Griffin or the Kings w/ their roster?

I just think the Thunder were a "right place right time team" last season and this year they will really have to strive to keep pace.

Return to The General Board