Do I have a right to be a fan?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Gus McCrae
General Manager
And1: 2,004

Re: Do I have a right to be a fan? 

Post#21 » by Gus McCrae » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:34 pm

I took a sports psychology class in college (god that was the easiest class with the best looking girls) and this was the type of thing we would discuss on a weekly basis. It comes down to what is "sport". why do people watch "sports". What do we get out of it?

In a nutshell, some people watch for comradery, but the main reason, as dated back to the Roman Empire, was to watch the best "athletes" perform. So for you to follow a team because they're one of the best (which Boston will provide you) while many will say it's wrong or bandwagon, you are really doing what lots of people already do. Why do you think the Heat fanbase tripled overnight? Why do the Yankees have twice as many fans as the rest of the league but the Mets don't?
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,205

Post#22 » by Heat3 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:18 pm

who were you a fan of 10 years ago? Bulls and Cowboys? :D
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

killbuckner
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#23 » by killbuckner » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:32 pm

If you have to ask a question like this then I think you should start with a WNBA team to show that you can stick with a team and then maybe we'll consider letting you be a fan of an NBA team.
-Illmatic-
Head Coach
And1: 97

Post#24 » by -Illmatic- » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:36 pm

Sure you do. Just stick with them and no one will give you any problems.

The only bandwagoners that piss me of are people who were born and raised in or near a major city, but root for a completely different set of teams.
-Illmatic-
Head Coach
And1: 97

Post#25 » by -Illmatic- » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:39 pm

Juicy Juice wrote:I was born in Illinois (hate what I remember), and moved out at the age of 5.

How the hell do you remember **** from the age 1-5, enough to judge an entire state?
zapatasblood
General Manager
And1: 580

Post#26 » by zapatasblood » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:45 pm

Juicy Juice wrote:I was born in Illinois (hate what I remember), and moved out at the age of 5. I grew up in AZ (hate it here), moved to North Dakota, and came back to AZ. I've often visited Boston, Mass and I love it there. The people, the atmosphere, everything. It's by far my favorite city in this country. I've got family living there as well, and my ancestors originate from Eastern Mass.

Question: Since I have that connection with Boston, do I have the right to be a Boston fan, and call it my home? Do I have the right to be a Celtics, Patriots, Red Sox, and Bruins fan without being a bandwagon fan? My reason? I love the city.

If you love the City as a whole including all the sports teams that I would say yes. If you are not one of those people that love the Yankees, Cowgirls, Redwings, Celtic/Lakers because they are the most recognized and have the most championship. That is what you call a bandwagon sports fan.
Light beer is for pregnant woman and children
"How sweet it is!" -Gene Peterson
And you never once paid for drugs Not once
TheAnkh
Starter
And1: 1

Post#27 » by TheAnkh » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:45 pm

How can anyone tell you who to root for? Thats part of the beauty of being a fan is your choice in the matter
mattzane227
Junior
And1: 46

Post#28 » by mattzane227 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:00 pm

-Illmatic- wrote:Sure you do. Just stick with them and no one will give you any problems.

The only bandwagoners that piss me of are people who were born and raised in or near a major city, but root for a completely different set of teams.

I get heated over this too. I live in Missouri where pretty much everyone loves the chiefs. So last Sunday i'm watching the Chiefs and my cousin (who is a girl) starts talking about how she hates the chiefs and rams and how the chiefs suck and are boring. I ask her who she likes, she says the cowboys. But can she name anyone besides Romo? No, of course not.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,479

Post#29 » by Doctor MJ » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:13 pm

cochiseuofm wrote:The way I see it, there are only three types of fans. Bandwagon fans, people who only get way into a sport when their team is awesome and contending for titles. Fairweather fans, who will occasionally pay attention to scores so they can follow sports conversations, but don't really care about the outcome of games deep down. And hardcore fans, people who are always into their favorite teams no matter how bad or good they are.

Hmm. "fairweather" means they get into it when times are good, so it's the same as "bandwagon". And there's those of us who go around educating casual fans and smacking down hardcore homers. :P
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
redshortz
Pro Prospect
And1: 3

Post#30 » by redshortz » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:44 pm

Boston fans never second guess themselves, so therefore.. no.
ChiCitySPORTS#1
RealGM
And1: 5,451

Post#31 » by ChiCitySPORTS#1 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:47 pm

You can be a fan, but your lame if you call it your home.
cochiseuofm
Veteran
And1: 609

Post#32 » by cochiseuofm » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:47 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:Hmm. "fairweather" means they get into it when times are good, so it's the same as "bandwagon". And there's those of us who go around educating casual fans and smacking down hardcore homers. :P

The main difference is fairweather fans don't jump to other teams that are good, they just don't care about the sport at all unless their home team is good.

I will create a 4th distinction of fan for you. The transformers fan. Hardcore fans in disguise.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,479

Post#33 » by Doctor MJ » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:05 pm

cochiseuofm wrote:The main difference is fairweather fans don't jump to other teams that are good, they just don't care about the sport at all unless their home team is good.

Okay, I'll go with you there.

cochiseuofm wrote:I will create a 4th distinction of fan for you. The transformers fan. Hardcore fans in disguise.

Sweet!
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
lukekarts
Head Coach
And1: 335

Post#34 » by lukekarts » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:36 pm

Jump aboard and smile

There is no consolation prize. Winning is everything.

Return to The General Board