Have you ever changed favorite teams? Why?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Sdot thadon
Sophomore
And1: 20

Re: Have you ever changed favorite teams? Why? 

Post#121 » by Sdot thadon » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:00 pm

Can't understand how some can limit theirselves to one terrible team. So you can't enjoy another team playing top level ball, because of logo loyalty? lol Even marrige isn't for life these days.....
calamity
Sixth Man
And1: 55

Post#122 » by calamity » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:02 pm

never really changed but added favorite teams as time went on.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#123 » by LApwnd » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:08 pm

Sdot thadon wrote:Can't understand how some can limit theirselves to one terrible team. So you can't enjoy another team playing top level ball, because of logo loyalty? lol Even marrige isn't for life these days.....

if you disassociate yourself from a team when they suck you were never a fan to begin with.....just state you're a fan of good basketball.
panthermark
RealGM
And1: 3,512

Post#124 » by panthermark » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:10 pm

Sdot thadon wrote:Can't understand how some can limit theirselves to one terrible team. So you can't enjoy another team playing top level ball, because of logo loyalty? lol Even marrige isn't for life these days.....

You are either a fanboy or a frontrunner....
So if you team isn't doing well....you just pick a new one that is?
Jealousy is a sickness.......get well soon....
Sdot thadon
Sophomore

Post#125 » by Sdot thadon » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:19 pm

LApwnd wrote:

if you disassociate yourself from a team when they suck you were never a fan to begin with.....just state you're a fan of good basketball.

I already did.

panthermark wrote:You are either a fanboy or a frontrunner....
So if you team isn't doing well....you just pick a new one that is?

Not at all, been a basketball junkie for 20 plus years now. Used to be a team fan as a kid, became a player fan as a teen(jordan years) and as an adult I just appreciate the game and high level play. It's more being able to respect the work these guys put in.
No Offense
Assistant Coach
And1: 260

Post#126 » by No Offense » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:56 pm

If I wanted to root for individual players, I'd be a golf, tennis, racing, MMA or boxing fan.

This is a team sport. People who hop on bandwagons for individual players make me sick.
pass first
Head Coach
And1: 763

Post#127 » by pass first » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:56 pm

Lionel Messi wrote:
pass first wrote:
'09- now: Raptors fan

started watching again during the 09 playoffs and cheered for Turk, the connection from my old Kings team. When he signed for Toronto I hopped on their 'bandwagon'.

That explains a lot.

Lol, like what? Try me.

Oh wait you're probably just high again. 8-)
Lionel Messi
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#128 » by Lionel Messi » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:14 pm

pass first wrote:
Lionel Messi wrote:
pass first wrote:
'09- now: Raptors fan

started watching again during the 09 playoffs and cheered for Turk, the connection from my old Kings team. When he signed for Toronto I hopped on their 'bandwagon'.

That explains a lot.

Lol, like what? Try me.

Oh wait you're probably just high again. 8-)

Like why you have no appreciation for what Bosh did as a Raptor and bash him despite not even being a fan of the Raptors for 6 of his 7 years here.

Can't take your opinion seriously on that anymore.
Banks2Pierce
RealGM
And1: 5,320

Post#129 » by Banks2Pierce » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:25 pm

I mean, I'm not gonna tell anybody how they should live their lives and the guidelines of who they can be a fan of, but I can tell you championship wins are just not rivaled if you have been a diehard supporter that has gone through the bad times.
Sothron
Head Coach
And1: 3,262

Post#130 » by Sothron » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:38 pm

And people wonder why American culture has degraded over the years. You can stay loyal in marriage and in being a fan. :roll:
shortodom
Veteran
And1: 57

Post#131 » by shortodom » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:39 pm

Change favorite team? F*** no Lakers 4 Life. The losses hurt more when your a teams fan and the championships feel amazing.

P.s F*** the celtics
:wink:
ahonui06
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#132 » by ahonui06 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:48 pm

bruddahmanmatt wrote:
GaNGsTaRr93 wrote:
bruddahmanmatt wrote:I know ahonui was a Mavs fan at one time, then Dallas blew it in the Finals and slipped into the shadows, Boston won in '08 and now dude declares his allegiance to the Celtics while disguising his bandwagon Dallas fandom as some sort of unhealthy DIRK obsession.

Wow.. u beat me to it..

He not foolin' anyone. :lol:

Celtics fan since birth. 17 titles and counting.....

DIRK "player fan" since his rookie year.

Get it straight!
Sdot thadon
Sophomore

Post#133 » by Sdot thadon » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:53 pm

Sothron wrote:

And people wonder why American culture has degraded over the years. You can stay loyal in marriage and in being a fan. :roll:

Of course you can, you missed the point. Some nuts are more faithful fans than they are in relationships.... Being married doesn't mean you can't appreciate beauty elsewhere when you see it, correct? Does thinking another woman is attractive compromise your loyalty? No. What's wrong with loving the game?
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#134 » by KevinMcreynolds » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:55 pm

Switching teams = blasphemy

That is all.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
Sothron
Head Coach
And1: 3,262

Post#135 » by Sothron » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:58 pm

Sdot thadon wrote:
Sothron wrote:

Of course you can, you missed the point. Some nuts are more faithful fans than they are in relationships.... Being married doesn't mean you can't appreciate beauty elsewhere when you see it, correct? Does thinking another woman is attractive compromise your loyalty? No. What's wrong with loving the game?

I didn't miss your point. You said you don't understand how people can "limit" themselves to "one terrible team" and then related that to "marriage isn't for life these days". You can appreciate beauty without leaving your spouse (or favorite team) for it.
Sdot thadon
Sophomore

Post#136 » by Sdot thadon » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:10 pm

True, my response is directed at people saying you're not a true fan if you're not tied to a team for life. I disagree. Marriage is far more serious than any sport. Still divorce is acceptable in society, so what's so bad about switching teams?
Soap345
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#137 » by Soap345 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:19 pm

Sdot thadon wrote:True, my response is directed at people saying you're not a true fan if you're not tied to a team for life. I disagree. Marriage is far more serious than any sport. Still divorce is acceptable in society, so what's so bad about switching teams?

The question was if you ever changed favorite teams.

My point and the point of some of the other posters was that if you change teams because a player let you were a player fan and the team was secondary.

If the question was "did you ever change wives" and people who were never married started to talk about girlfriends they dated, they would not be answering the question.

We are married to our teams. Till death (or relocation) do us part. These other posters who switch or follow players around were only dating the team.
MitchellUK
RealGM
And1: 2,882

Post#138 » by MitchellUK » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:26 pm

Magic fan for 17 years, never even considered changing teams. It's probably the European upbringing, but over there you get a team (whether one you chose yourself or one that was decided for you by geographic location or your family), and you stick with them, no matter what.

I really don't get the "player fan" thing. I understand having admiration for a player, but supporting a team based on their presence just seems wrong. It's a nomadic experience. Right now the Magic board is flooded with Vince Carter fans, some of whom have really taken Orlando into their hearts, and some of whom seem to bitch and whine incessantly about the way Vince is used and basically talk crap about the majority of the other players and coaching staff. But one way or the other, when Vince is gone, they're all going to be gone, too.

I mean, each to their own and everything, but I really feel like you get more out of being a team fan. There's more to get invested in, there's the entire history of your given franchise, you go through the highs and lows with other dedicated fans. If and when Orlando finally gets that championship, it's going to be payoff for 18 or more years of unwavering support.

Or I could just decide to support San Antonio because I'm an admirer of Tim Duncan.
Sdot thadon
Sophomore

Post#139 » by Sdot thadon » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:29 pm

Soap345 wrote:The question was if you ever changed favorite teams.

yeah, then you get guys saying I hate "fans" who are not like me. Real fans stick with one team, etc. Just airing my opinion.

Soap345 wrote:We are married to our teams. Till death (or relocation) do us part. These other posters who switch or follow players around were only dating the team.

Some of us are married to the game.
TheHeatWarrior
Junior
And1: 5

Post#140 » by TheHeatWarrior » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:39 pm

Never have, never will. Been a Heat fan since the day I was born, back in 91. Rooted for Hardaway and Mourning with my dad, always been a huge Heat Family. Never ever going to switch teams no matter who comes or leaves Miami.
Heat fan through and through. If the warriors are playing anyone not named the heat ill root for them also

Return to The General Board