Bonus money for a game win. New CBA related

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Bonus money for a game win. New CBA related 

Post#1 » by NewWolvesOrder » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:52 pm

I was thinking the other day that playing for guaranteed fixed amount of money doesn't motivate a lot of players to play hard except the so called contract year. In some soccer leagues in Europe players get bonuses for winning a game. I think it's great alternative to unguaranteed contracts.

It would be great if in the new CBA this was included. On top of gauranteed contacts an owner pays his players he has to pay bonus money for every win of his team. Let's say he has to pay 7 players on his team, top2 performers get paid 100 000, the other five 50 000. Numbers can be different of course. Not every player has to be paid to motivate all players on the team to play hard, and prevent good players signing on the cheap with teams like Heat to make up money by winning a ton of games. Bonus money are obligatory and the team has to announce to the league and the media which player got the money. Teams also have to reward their players for making the playoffs.

1)I think it will make the league and each game much more competetive.
2) It's going to be a great way to fight tanking games for better draft position. Players that are already on the team will want their money and will be trying to win. It will be hard for coaches and GMs make them lose on purpose. Of course GMs can trade away good vets to other teams but they risk being roasted by the media.
3) Owners of losing teams will save some and won't be hit so hard by poor attendance.

I don't spend much time on GB so if this idea was already discussed here but I just didn't see it here before.
BeanTownRockets
Junior
And1: 4

Re: Bonus money for a game win. New CBA related 

Post#2 » by BeanTownRockets » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:03 pm

The idea would offset the non parity that already exists in the NBA. We have 5-6 teams that are far superior than the others in the league. The better players would jump ship and hop on board a better one. Would make the league more lopsided.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach

Post#3 » by NewWolvesOrder » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:12 pm

BeanTownRockets wrote:The idea would offset the non parity that already exists in the NBA. We have 5-6 teams that are far superior than the others in the league. The better players would jump ship and hop on board a better one. Would make the league more lopsided.

1) There's no real parity as it is.
2) I mentioned in the OP that limited numbers of players on a team get bonuses. If a player sees 5-6 good players on the team he may choose signing with less stacked team in order to be able to have a better chance for a top2 bonus or any bonus as at all.
killbuckner
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#4 » by killbuckner » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:14 pm

Teams are already allowed to give a player a contract with a bonus for team wins.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach

Post#5 » by NewWolvesOrder » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:22 pm

killbuckner wrote:Teams are already allowed to give a player a contract with a bonus for team wins.

They are allowed but it's not a common practice. If it was included in the CBA as a must pay by the team for each individual game, plus guaranteed contracts reduced and players were offered to make up the difference by winning as many games as possible.

Return to The General Board