Poll: What Would Melo Do If Denver Called His Bluff

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Would Melo Extend With Denver After the Trade Deadline?

Yes
13%
No
87%

Total votes: 63

Bill Bradley
RealGM
And1: 2,407

Re: Poll: What Would Melo Do If Denver Called His Bluff 

Post#21 » by Bill Bradley » Mon Jan 3, 2011 8:20 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:
Bill Bradley wrote:
We will see. I just think it's funny that the OP makes an apparent statement of fact that Denver minus Melo is better than NY plus Melo when the Knicks just beat Denver with their current squads.

Knicks have had some tough injuries to their best defenders that have messed up their already short rotation.

I did not say that.

You cannot just add Melo to the Knicks and take him off Denver and say NY is better.
This season Denver with Melo is better than NY.
Next season with Melo and whatever Denver may be able to land for their expirers, picks, assets, could also be better than what NY can put together.

If you add Melo to NY this season, it means you have to take away depth and role players from an already shallow NY team (some combination of Gallo, Fields, Chandler, AR). Next season would be a different story as a free agent, but you also don't know the moves Denver could pull in the meanwhile either.

No, your premise was that Denver would be able to field a better team than NY if Anthony went to NY in free agency. So NY would essentially be what they are now plus Melo. Sure, they would need to find a way to turn Chandler into a starting caliber young center or something along those lines, and some other minor changes would need to be made, but their core would stay in tact. Sure, Denver can make some moves but they will more or less be what they are now.
J Smitty
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#22 » by J Smitty » Mon Jan 3, 2011 8:27 pm

MeloNY wrote:Bottom line Denver ain't NY, on and off the court!

This coming from a Knicks fan who has the name of a player who doesn't play for the Knicks, as his screen name(a Denver player, actually). The Knicks must be really great for that to be the case! You're right Denver aint New York....they actually make the playoffs occasionally.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#23 » by Trader_Joe » Mon Jan 3, 2011 8:31 pm

Bill Bradley wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:
Bill Bradley wrote:
We will see. I just think it's funny that the OP makes an apparent statement of fact that Denver minus Melo is better than NY plus Melo when the Knicks just beat Denver with their current squads.

Knicks have had some tough injuries to their best defenders that have messed up their already short rotation.

I did not say that.

You cannot just add Melo to the Knicks and take him off Denver and say NY is better.
This season Denver with Melo is better than NY.
Next season with Melo and whatever Denver may be able to land for their expirers, picks, assets, could also be better than what NY can put together.

If you add Melo to NY this season, it means you have to take away depth and role players from an already shallow NY team (some combination of Gallo, Fields, Chandler, AR). Next season would be a different story as a free agent, but you also don't know the moves Denver could pull in the meanwhile either.

No, your premise was that Denver would be able to field a better team than NY if Anthony went to NY in free agency. So NY would essentially be what they are now plus Melo. Sure, they would need to find a way to turn Chandler into a starting caliber young center or something along those lines, and some other minor changes would need to be made, but their core would stay in tact. Sure, Denver can make some moves but they have no way of replacing Anthony with another star and they would surely regress.

No, I was not saying Denver without Melo would be better than NY with Melo next year.
That's idiotic and if I implied that or you inferred it, my bad.

If next off-season the two teams looked like this:

DEN
Billups / Lawson
Afflalo* / JR Smith*
Balkman
Harrington / K.Mart*
Nene / Andersen

+ #1
+ MLE

*2011 Expirer resigned or traded for comparable talent/value.

NY
Felton / Douglas
Fields / Walker
Gallinari
Amare / Randolph
Turiaff / Mozgov

+ #1
No MLE
Chandler and his cap hold renounced to sign Melo
Turiaff or Randolph probably traded for nothing to sign Melo as well

I think it's a tough call as to which team would be better if Melo was simply added to the team. I say Denver since they are proven, deeper and have more assets IMO.

But again in the East Melo has to contend with prime Miami and Orlando. Rising Chicago and aging Boston. In the West, the Spurs, LAL and Dallas would be one year even more past their primes. The only "young threat" in the West would be OKC.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
Bill Bradley
RealGM
And1: 2,407

Post#24 » by Bill Bradley » Mon Jan 3, 2011 8:47 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:No, I was not saying Denver without Melo would be better than NY with Melo next year.
That's idiotic and if I implied that or you inferred it, my bad.

If next off-season the two teams looked like this:

DEN
Billups / Lawson
Afflalo* / JR Smith*
Balkman
Harrington / K.Mart*
Nene / Andersen

+ #1
+ MLE

*2011 Expirer resigned or traded for comparable talent/value.

NY
Felton / Douglas
Fields / Walker
Gallinari
Amare / Randolph
Turiaff / Mozgov

+ #1
No MLE
Chandler and his cap hold renounced to sign Melo
Turiaff or Randolph probably traded for nothing to sign Melo as well

I think it's a tough call as to which team would be better if Melo was simply added to the team. I say Denver since they are proven, deeper and have more assets IMO.

But again in the East Melo has to contend with prime Miami and Orlando. Rising Chicago and aging Boston. In the West, the Spurs, LAL and Dallas would be one year even more past their primes. The only "young threat" in the West would be OKC.

Yeah, I edited my post before you quoted it. My point is the same though- the Knicks without Melo have played as well as the Nuggets this year, so with Melo it would stand to reason they will be much better.

There is no way that the Knicks will just lose Chandler and Randolph for nothing, either. Walsh will probably do a similar trade as he did with David Lee this past off-season, but with younger, lower salary players and expirings coming back. A starting caliber defensive minded center on a rookie contract would be ideal.
Nuggets_Talk
Head Coach
And1: 2,296

Post#25 » by Nuggets_Talk » Mon Jan 3, 2011 8:49 pm

AmareNY wrote:Why does he have to sign with New York? He can sign with ANY team with cap room. Denver has has handeled this situation as bad as it ca, So it would not suprise me, that he will walk away for nothing.

oh tahts right...we should have taken the first deal and given melo away for very little.

THAT would have been handling it the best.

:lol: @ knick fans.
Nuggets_Talk
Head Coach
And1: 2,296

Post#26 » by Nuggets_Talk » Mon Jan 3, 2011 8:50 pm

MeloNY wrote:
Bottom line Denver ain't NY, on and off the court!

exactly
truth serum
Banned User
And1: 35

Post#27 » by truth serum » Mon Jan 3, 2011 8:52 pm

^Yes keep coming up with reasons why Melo shouldn't want to play in NY. Won't change the fact that he does.

Anyone can fabricate a bunch of arguments to support their own opinion. Fact is- Melo sees D'Antoni's offense, a chance to play with Amar'e, life in the big city and the awesome environment at the Garden and has already made up his mind. How it will play out exactly? No one knows quite yet, but I think chances are he will end up a Knick one way or another. That is his right and certainly feasible considering he's a free agent this summer....despite any of the obstacles you've already wasted your time listing. Get over it, my man.
ELCIDz
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#28 » by ELCIDz » Mon Jan 3, 2011 8:55 pm

Melo is not going to NY.
AllBall
Banned User

Post#29 » by AllBall » Mon Jan 3, 2011 9:07 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:What Would Melo Do If Denver Called His Bluff

He would do this

:rofl:
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#30 » by Trader_Joe » Mon Jan 3, 2011 9:08 pm

truth serum wrote:

^Yes keep coming up with reasons why Melo shouldn't want to play in NY. Won't change the fact that he does.

Anyone can fabricate a bunch of arguments to support their own opinion. Fact is- Melo sees D'Antoni's offense, a chance to play with Amar'e, life in the big city and the awesome environment at the Garden and has already made up his mind. How it will play out exactly? No one knows quite yet, but I think chances are he will end up a Knick one way or another. That is his right and certainly feasible considering he's a free agent this summer....despite any of the obstacles you've already wasted your time listing. Get over it, my man.

I realize all of that.
My argument was in response to who can field the better team.
I think Denver can field the better team regardless of Conference, but it would be easier for him to contend in the Western conference than the East even with a minor talent gap.

I think if anything, this shows his priorities are:

*hard to decide of the two.
Denver can offer the money now.
Denver can offer the better team now and potentially in the future.
He's willing to risk them both for NY, so that clearly makes location #1.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
mr cranky pants
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#31 » by mr cranky pants » Mon Jan 3, 2011 9:09 pm

Theres no bluff to be called, Melo wants to play in NY #thatsall
ELCIDz
Banned User

Post#32 » by ELCIDz » Mon Jan 3, 2011 9:10 pm

Wait you forgot about that elite defense MY MAN! :wink:

Stop wasting your time listing reasons he will go to NY clearly he wont.
triplet1984
General Manager
And1: 177

Post#33 » by triplet1984 » Mon Jan 3, 2011 9:12 pm

I don't think it's a guarantee he leaves in the offseason... all that money plus the collective bargaining possible lock-out... that's a gigantic risk. In fact, that's why I think he's pushing so hard for a trade to NY now. Otherwise, why be so aggressive? Just sit back and wait for the offseason and you can go to the Knicks if that's so important.
elbowthrower
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#34 » by elbowthrower » Mon Jan 3, 2011 10:10 pm

truth serum wrote:Fact is- Melo sees D'Antoni's offense, a chance to play with Amar'e, life in the big city and the awesome environment at the Garden and has already made up his mind.

How can you say that's a fact?
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#35 » by Trader_Joe » Mon Jan 3, 2011 10:14 pm

elbowthrower wrote:
truth serum wrote:Fact is- Melo sees D'Antoni's offense, a chance to play with Amar'e, life in the big city and the awesome environment at the Garden and has already made up his mind.

Didn't he knock D'Antoni because of no D?

Otherwise, I agree it may be lock otherwise:
a. he would have extended with Denver
b. Denver would have traded him to NJ
elbowthrower
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#36 » by elbowthrower » Mon Jan 3, 2011 10:20 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:
elbowthrower wrote:

Didn't he knock D'Antoni because of no D?

Otherwise, I agree it may be lock otherwise:
a. he would have extended with Denver
b. Denver would have traded him to NJ

It's not a fact though (as far as anyone here knows anyway). Just like nothing is "clear", as I've read repeatedly. It's just conjecture and speculation.
ELCIDz
Banned User

Post#37 » by ELCIDz » Mon Jan 3, 2011 10:25 pm

elbowthrower wrote:

He's using the same crystal ball NY fans had last summer when Lebron made it clear he wanted NY. Mecca
Bubstubbler
Starter
And1: 755

Post#38 » by Bubstubbler » Mon Jan 3, 2011 10:28 pm

illiance wrote:It's pretty stupid to give up $83 million for some silly dream of playing in the East with one good player and a bunch of Tito Jacksons.

It's pretty stupid to make stupid claims like that.

Seriously, it's beyond stupid to not do what you want when you're in a position to do what you want (while still making mega millions either way).

People that make job decisions based purely on which pays a higher salary are stupid.

Choosing a job based purely on guaranteed salary is as dumb as choosing a wife based purely on her current looks. S T U P I D.
Die93
Starter
And1: 5

Post#39 » by Die93 » Mon Jan 3, 2011 10:32 pm

ELCIDz wrote:
elbowthrower wrote:

He's using the same crystal ball NY fans had last summer when Lebron made it clear he wanted NY. Mecca

Lebron never wanted to play here tho, thats the difference
Pulp Fiction was the best movie of the 1990's.
ELCIDz
Banned User

Post#40 » by ELCIDz » Mon Jan 3, 2011 10:32 pm

Bubstubbler wrote:
illiance wrote:It's pretty stupid to give up $83 million for some silly dream of playing in the East with one good player and a bunch of Tito Jacksons.

It's pretty stupid to make stupid claims like that.

Seriously, it's beyond stupid to not do what you want when you're in a position to do what you want (while still making mega millions either way).

People that make job decisions based purely on which pays a higher salary are stupid.

It's stupid to use the word stupid as many times as you stupidly did in that stupid response.

Honestly, it depends on how much less he would get paid. Since we dont know that yet it would be futile to try and guess what he would do.

Return to The General Board