Things Announcers Say That Annoy You

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

VicG
Head Coach
And1: 1,892

Things Announcers Say That Annoy You 

Post#1 » by VicG » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:29 pm

I was reminded of this yesterday... in the last two minutes of a close game, the refs called the ball out on the Raptors. The Raptors vehemently complained and in the break the refs decided to view the replay and eventually reversed it.

You hear this every time this happens now, when the refs are reviewing it and reverse it, the announcers say:

"What a great move by the referees. Making sure they got it right."

There's two reasons why it's not "great". First of all, they got the intial call WRONG! Secondly, what the heck are they supposed to do when the other team is hopping mad? Tell them they won't go to replay even though it's available for them to use?

They really have no choice. They're just being praised for being forced to admit they were wrong. If only real life were like this.
Pomme
Pro Prospect
And1: 7

Re: Things Announcers Say That Annoy You 

Post#2 » by Pomme » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:32 pm

anything that comes out of mark jackson's mouth. sometimes it feels like he is doing an interview to become a head coach.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#3 » by LApwnd » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:33 pm

JVG-when he starts one of his stupid rants
Tommy Hienson- only heard his commenting twice in my lifetime, and both time I wish I hadn't.
RonMercerMVP
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#4 » by RonMercerMVP » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:45 pm

When Neil Funk calls Carlos Boozer, Taj Gibson.
When Neil Funk calls Taj Gibson, Carlos Boozer.
When Neil Funk calls Carlos Boozer, Keith Bogans
When Neil Funk calls Keith Bogans, Taj Gibson.

That's just to name a few.
Tim_Hardawayy
RealGM
And1: 8,093

Post#5 » by Tim_Hardawayy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:50 pm

When announcers complain about the officiating. Tommy is obviously the worst about it, but quite a few others do it as well.

I don't mind if they point out a blatantly bad call (would actually encourage this), but the ones that mumble under their breath almost every time the opposing team does anything and always act like their team is getting jobbed annoy me.
SheedsWeed
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#6 » by SheedsWeed » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:52 pm

What irks me more than anything is when your own team announcers give the other team extreme praise during a certain play (and usually it's like a dagger shot that ends all hope for your team) and keep going on and on about how great it was. Like, wtf...I thought you were the announcer for MY team, not THEIRS. You should be cussing out the team for letting a play like that happen.
Kaner
Sixth Man
And1: 8

Post#7 » by Kaner » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:55 pm

i hate ANY personal opinions they gave, i guess it does add a certain argumentative aspect,however i would rather leave that to whoever i am watching it with...
Senor Chang
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,216

Post#8 » by Senor Chang » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:00 pm

VicG wrote:I was reminded of this yesterday... in the last two minutes of a close game, the refs called the ball out on the Raptors. The Raptors vehemently complained and in the break the refs decided to view the replay and eventually reversed it.

You hear this every time this happens now, when the refs are reviewing it and reverse it, the announcers say:

"What a great move by the referees. Making sure they got it right."

There's two reasons why it's not "great". First of all, they got the intial call WRONG! Secondly, what the heck are they supposed to do when the other team is hopping mad? Tell them they won't go to replay even though it's available for them to use?

They really have no choice. They're just being praised for being forced to admit they were wrong. If only real life were like this.

pick one

http://www.nba.com/bulls/stacey-king-soundboard.html
wayoftheroad wrote:We’re getting bodied by Moochie Norris lmao
Wavy Q
RealGM
And1: 2,390

Post#9 » by Wavy Q » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:02 pm

stupid spurs commentators kept calling Lamar Odom, Lamar Kardashian.
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 30,887

Post#10 » by Sofia » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:02 pm

Anything with the prefix, 'Cheryl Miller here'...
Founder - Wembanyama GOAT club - waitlist registrations being accepted

President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub
Noodle Arm
Rookie
And1: 1,068

Post#11 » by Noodle Arm » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:03 pm

Although I don't hear it all that much anymore, this is a phrase that should be banned from all announcers repertoire:

"Shannon Brown comes in to give Kobe a blow"

No....no...please no.
Tim_Hardawayy
RealGM

Post#12 » by Tim_Hardawayy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:03 pm

SheedsWeed wrote:What irks me more than anything is when your own team announcers give the other team extreme praise during a certain play (and usually it's like a dagger shot that ends all hope for your team) and keep going on and on about how great it was. Like, wtf...I thought you were the announcer for MY team, not THEIRS. You should be cussing out the team for letting a play like that happen.

It hurts for a bit, but the shot will hurt either way. I like that they can keep their bias out of it.

Considering most of us are bball nuts and watch games other than our home team, I'll take unbiased announcers over homer ones anyday, even if I have to listen to Eric Reid praise Kyle Korver for 5 minutes.
Tim_Hardawayy
RealGM

Post#13 » by Tim_Hardawayy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:04 pm

Jay From LA wrote:stupid spurs commentators kept calling Lamar Odom, Lamar Kardashian.

Although that's incredibly unprofessional...

I'll be honest, I lol'd
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#14 » by LApwnd » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:05 pm

Jay From LA wrote:stupid spurs commentators kept calling Lamar Odom, Lamar Kardashian.

thats that homer Elliot, he calls him Mr. Kardashian :lol:
elbowthrower
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#15 » by elbowthrower » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:13 pm

Pomme wrote:anything that comes out of mark jackson's mouth. sometimes it feels like he is doing an interview to become a head coach.

yep.

"hand down, man down" especially
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#16 » by magnumt » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:14 pm

Tommy Heinson

other than that: Bingo-Bango Baby! :nonono:

--Mags
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
MAQ
RealGM
And1: 2,886

Post#17 » by MAQ » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:17 pm

Tim_Hardawayy wrote:When announcers complain about the officiating. Tommy is obviously the worst about it, but quite a few others do it as well.

I don't mind if they point out a blatantly bad call (would actually encourage this), but the ones that mumble under their breath almost every time the opposing team does anything and always act like their team is getting jobbed annoy me.

Well then I am truly sorry you had to hear Niel Funk call a game this past Saturday.
GYBE wrote:I don't think my behaviour changes at all when I'm drunk. But when I'm wasted, my girlfriend becomes a real klutz. She starts walking into doors and falling down stairs. Weird.
MAQ
RealGM
And1: 2,886

Post#18 » by MAQ » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:18 pm

That was definitely disrespectful. Perhaps I am just being too uptight about it, but it wasn't even funny the 2nd time they said it...and to go on and on and on with it all night. Just bush league.
GYBE wrote:I don't think my behaviour changes at all when I'm drunk. But when I'm wasted, my girlfriend becomes a real klutz. She starts walking into doors and falling down stairs. Weird.
Tim_Hardawayy
RealGM

Post#19 » by Tim_Hardawayy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:23 pm

MAQ wrote:
Tim_Hardawayy wrote:When announcers complain about the officiating. Tommy is obviously the worst about it, but quite a few others do it as well.

Well then I am truly sorry you had to hear Niel Funk call a game this past Saturday.

No I live in South Florida, I got our commentators. The Bulls guys don't complain that much about officiating the times that I've heard them though, but Funk is senile so that doesn't help matters any.
sugarscape
Sophomore
And1: 5

Post#20 » by sugarscape » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:24 pm

"If you don't like that, you don't like NBA basketball."

One of the worst catch phrases ever, with an even worse delivery.

Return to The General Board