WT: Knicks Turn Down Deal For Anthony on Monday

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Soap345
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Re: WT: Knicks Turn Down Deal For Anthony on Monday 

Post#61 » by Soap345 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:20 pm

Bynum's a huge risk for Denver... you have to take into account the contracts along with his injuries. He's just not worth it. Denver's better off rebuilding after losing Melo, and then whoever wants out after that. Acquiring Bynum is not rebuilding, it will only make them mediocre.

I just love how Bynum's still getting overrated just cuz he's a Laker. Meanwhile, the Knicks players suck even though they're producing and are actually playing and healthy.

I'm really curious how Bynum would look on another team, especially when teams are set on stopping him and they won't have to worry about Kobe or Gasol.

[/quote]

OK if you want to talk about injury risk fine (but a couple of those seasons you listed were not injury related).

Anyways the bolded part you are wrong about. Bynum has a very friendly contract with a team option the final year. Thats why they Nuggets want him. IF he plays well, good. If not then they have options.
No Offense
Assistant Coach
And1: 260

Post#62 » by No Offense » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:28 pm

Why are people acting like Denver owes it to the Knicks to trade Melo to them? If the Knicks aren't willing to move that package, they will have to pray that there isn't a franchise tag and that Melo doesn't place getting a max contract as a higher priority than playing for the Knicks.
omerome
RealGM
And1: 7,750

Post#63 » by omerome » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:31 pm

illiance wrote:
omerome wrote:To all those who say that the Knicks should take that deal, where should they go from there?

After getting Melo with the proposed package, what is left for them to get better and become a title contender?

You follow the Miami model. Gut your whole team (including role-players), sign your three stars, and worry about how to fill the rest of the team later.

I really don't feel like waiting two more years for a chance at signing a FA in 2012.

Because right now that's would seem to be the plan.
-Illmatic-
Head Coach
And1: 97

Post#64 » by -Illmatic- » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:31 pm

omerome wrote:To all those who say that the Knicks should take that deal, where should they go from there?

After getting Melo with the proposed package, what is left for them to get better and become a title contender?

If you're looking for a move to put the Knicks in title contention signing Melo this offseason isn't going to do it. The Knicks will still have an awful defense. The Knicks will still be an awful rebounding team. The Knicks will still have pringles as their coach.

The only player in the league that could make the Knicks title contenders would be Dwight Howard.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#65 » by JordansBulls » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:39 pm

Jordan45822 wrote:http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2011/02/15/2011-02-15_carmelo_anthony_available_but_knicks_balk_at_request_for_gallinari_felton_starte.html

Denver wanted Felton, Gallanari, Curry's expiring, another starter, and draft picks for Anthony and Billups. NY said no. Denver is mainly focused on NY and Chicago with Houston and Dallas as possibilities.

Note to Denver: You won't get Noah from the Bulls (and I am happy Bulls won't do that). NY probably won't fold (unless Dolan over-rules management). Unless u want a rental package from Dallas or Houston: JUST COME OUT AND SAY WE WILL NOT TRADE HIM AND KEEP HIM. Saves everyone a headache and all the BS.

I don't see why the Knicks would not have done that deal. What is the purpose of Galanari when you have Melo?
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
omerome
RealGM

Post#66 » by omerome » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:43 pm

-Illmatic- wrote:

If you're looking for a move to put the Knicks in title contention signing Melo this offseason isn't going to do it. The Knicks will still have an awful defense. The Knicks will still be an awful rebounding team. The Knicks will still have pringles as their coach.

The only player in the league that could make the Knicks title contenders would be Dwight Howard.

That is true and despite all of the rumors and discussions, I haven't been convinced that getting Melo is really the right move.

I know he has an interest in playing for my team but he doesn't address the ultimate need for this team - defense.

He is a terrific scorer and is a goto guy in the clutch but the team doesn't have much assets to begin with and to give most of them away for Melo makes it harder to make additional moves in the future.

I don't want the Knicks to be known as a "second round" playoff team, I want them to build a contender.
BossHoggin
General Manager
And1: 571

Post#67 » by BossHoggin » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:49 pm

No Offense wrote:Why are people acting like Denver owes it to the Knicks to trade Melo to them? If the Knicks aren't willing to move that package, they will have to pray that there isn't a franchise tag and that Melo doesn't place getting a max contract as a higher priority than playing for the Knicks.

NY fans feel that Melo is destined to be a Knick. Who could turn away playing in New York? The lights of MSG!? The excitement of the city! It is not fair for any team to have a superstar and NY to have no one. :roll:

LeBron was all but guaranteed to go to the Knicks last year according to all the New York fans. Now they need Melo, when they don't get him, it will be Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Blake Griffin, you pick the guy. They have a sense of entitlement for some reason. They are going to miss the playoffs again after another year of one good stretch of games and then playing terrible. If they don't get Melo, they will bomb. Then the wait for FA will start, like last year.
Heat3Peat wrote:See this is why it's nice being a LeBron fan, no super hard allegiance to a team so there is no up and down emotions with me during a time like this.
omerome
RealGM

Post#68 » by omerome » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:50 pm

BossHoggin wrote:
No Offense wrote:Why are people acting like Denver owes it to the Knicks to trade Melo to them? If the Knicks aren't willing to move that package, they will have to pray that there isn't a franchise tag and that Melo doesn't place getting a max contract as a higher priority than playing for the Knicks.

NY fans feel that Melo is destined to be a Knick. Who could turn away playing in New York? The lights of MSG!? The excitement of the city! It is not fair for any team to have a superstar and NY to have no one. :roll:

LeBron was all but guaranteed to go to the Knicks last year according to all the New York fans. Now they need Melo, when they don't get him, it will be Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Blake Griffin, you pick the guy. They have a sense of entitlement for some reason. They are going to miss the playoffs again after another year of one good stretch of games and then playing terrible. If they don't get Melo, they will bomb. Then the wait for FA will start, like last year.

Stop speaking for the entire fan base please it's annoying.

As for the rest of your post, wow is all I can say.
Wavy Q
RealGM
And1: 2,390

Post#69 » by Wavy Q » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:52 pm

Denver is going to end up with nothing.
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,153

Post#70 » by Edrees » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:55 pm

AmareNY wrote:I would have taken the deal, as I want the Knicks to build the team around Melo & Amar'e. All others are expendable.

How would you rebuild without draft picks? (assuming the trade went through) You'd have to replace your entire team with free agency, because you wouldn't have any assets left, and you wouldn't have any good draft picks left either. The other "starter" in the trade is probably landry fields or wilson chandler, and you'd lose felton and galinari as well. How the heck would you replace these guys via free agency? Wouldn't be a smart trade for you guys. Galinari and Wilson Chandler + curry's expiring for Melo IMO is the best denver can get out of anyone right now and they are dumb for asking for felton and picks in addition.
DJ43
Sophomore
And1: 81

Post#71 » by DJ43 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:09 pm

Edrees wrote:
AmareNY wrote:I would have taken the deal, as I want the Knicks to build the team around Melo & Amar'e. All others are expendable.

How would you rebuild without draft picks? (assuming the trade went through) You'd have to replace your entire team with free agency, because you wouldn't have any assets left, and you wouldn't have any good draft picks left either. The other "starter" in the trade is probably landry fields or wilson chandler, and you'd lose felton and galinari as well. How the heck would you replace these guys via free agency? Wouldn't be a smart trade for you guys. Galinari and Wilson Chandler + curry's expiring for Melo IMO is the best denver can get out of anyone right now and they are dumb for asking for felton and picks in addition.

They are not dumb for asking for this package. Melo wants to extend now, and there have been talks about him taking the extension in den if he isnt traded.

Also, Felton has turned into one of the more overrated players in the league since going to NY.
Darko Miliminutes
Analyst
And1: 425

Post#72 » by Darko Miliminutes » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:11 pm

Jay From LA wrote:Denver is going to end up with nothing.

Maybe a weak a$$ TPE... :roll:
Will you fools ever realize that when the cameras are on and the microphones are hot, they are Lying to you! Lying to illicit a prescribed reaction, to easier manipulate you.

Useful idiots!
ropjhk
RealGM
And1: 10,527

Post#73 » by ropjhk » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:13 pm

tranjSAIC wrote:
DASMACKDOWN wrote:Its not a horrible deal, but the thing is the Knicks can afford to wait.

Melo wants to be a Knick, just wait another season. The Knicks wont have to gut all their assets in the process.

Everyone knows Melo wants to be a Knick, and every one knows he wants to get paid the full amount. Do you guys think Melo would be pissed at the Knicks for NOT trading for him when there was an offer on the table from the Nuggets?

That's why it's not 100% guaranteed that he will sign with NY as a free agent. We don't know what the CBA will bring. If a franchise tag comes in, it may be possible for the Nuggets to hold onto him. Even if he's on the free market, some other team might somehow come into the picture and steal him away from NY.

Undoubtedly NY is Melo's first choice, but as the Lebron situation proved, you can't be 100% sure he'll up in NY and so the Knicks must offer a better deal than what Cle/Tor got for Lebron and Bosh respectively.
Game Show
Pro Prospect
And1: 24

Post#74 » by Game Show » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:15 pm

Nuggets are gambling that he'll ultimately choose the guaranteed extension money, just like the Knicks are gambling that he won't. For now I'm leaning on him taking the money

It's going to highly amusing one way or another
Ming Kong!
RealGM
And1: 31

Post#75 » by Ming Kong! » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:19 pm

I think the Knicks feel pressured to do a sign and trade cause they feel there is a threat of Melo walking and signing the Nuggets extension, it's a lot of money to leave on the table.

3yr/64.7M - 21.6M/yr extension
vs the maximum (30% of team cap), which for 2010/11 is 17,413,200, but with the possible lockout and a new CBA, who knows how much the cap space and what % the max will be. We can talking about some $3-4M a year easily.
eslr
Assistant Coach
And1: 25

Post#76 » by eslr » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:25 pm

illiance wrote:I have no idea why the Knicks won't trade basically Melo for Gallo (since Chandler and Randolph must be renounced next year anyways). Gallo would probably only see 20-25 minutes a game and most of it would be out of position. You're not willing to give up that for an All-Star SF? The Knicks are either really dumb or know 100% that Melo will sign with them in the off-season no matter what.

Thats basically the way I see it as well.

The whole Felton for Billups thing confuses the hell out of me, though. Denver is super high on Lawson, so I dont see why they would want Felton (those two are waaaay too small to play together). Billups lets the Nuggets continue to contend for a playoff spot while grooming Lawson to take over next year. I would think the NUggets would try to pawn Felton off on a third team.
Ming Kong!
RealGM
And1: 31

Post#77 » by Ming Kong! » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:26 pm

Game Show wrote:Nuggets are gambling that he'll ultimately choose the guaranteed extension money, just like the Knicks are gambling that he won't. For now I'm leaning on him taking the money

It's going to highly amusing one way or another

Exactly, the Nuggets really have nothing to lose IMO, they are on the road to mediocrity with their current team, and an extension will just hurt them more when the new CBA comes in as Anthony will be demanding so much money. It's definitely gambling to reject a deal that sends them a valuable player, but hey maybe it pays off and they get a good deal.

The Knicks though need to get real, Anthony wants to go to NY, that's for sure, but doesn't he value 3 years in NY superior to some $12/M over that course of time? Lebron James did go to Miami and lost a lot of money, but look at the level of publicity he's getting, plus the guy is going to be ridiculously rich either way. I think that deal was more than fair to guarantee Anthony for 3 years. I also rather have Billups at PG than Felton.
eslr
Assistant Coach
And1: 25

Post#78 » by eslr » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:27 pm

Id rather end up with nothing, than something extremely mediocre like just Chandler and a crappy pick. At least we can ride out this season as a pretty good team and try to sneak into the 2nd round of the playoffs.
DJ43
Sophomore
And1: 81

Post#79 » by DJ43 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:32 pm

eslr wrote:

Id rather end up with nothing, than something extremely mediocre like just Chandler and a crappy pick. At least we can ride out this season as a pretty good team and try to sneak into the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Den could probably just buy a crappy first with the money they would make off Melo after the deadline and in the playoffs.
elbowthrower
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#80 » by elbowthrower » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:39 pm

omerome wrote:
illiance wrote:

You follow the Miami model. Gut your whole team (including role-players), sign your three stars, and worry about how to fill the rest of the team later.

I really don't feel like waiting two more years for a chance at signing a FA in 2012.

Because right now that's would seem to be the plan.

I think you're in that boat in either of these scenarios though. If you trade your role players for Melo, you need another year or so, and if you don't get another solid player, you're basically the same team as this year.

The only scenario in which you might have a contender next year is if Melo signs in the offseason w/o the extension. And even then it's possible your team still doesn't make it out of the 2nd round.

Return to The General Board