Chris Rock on LeBron James in Esquire Magazine

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Basketology
Senior
And1: 5

Re: Chris Rock on LeBron James in Esquire Magazine 

Post#41 » by Basketology » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:55 pm

I hate it when interviewers make more statements than asking questions. How many question marks are there in the piece? Annoys me, plus the interviewers cursing at times. Unprofessional. Not sure who he is, or if he is just a friend, or w/e...
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,213

Post#42 » by ALL HAIL » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:58 pm

SoCAL24 wrote:
ALL HAIL wrote:
SoCAL24 wrote:@ All Hail

Only...

James didn't tell them if he was leaving and if anything implied he was staying, nobody thought he would have a "decision" to tell his hometown "im' out". but that's what happened.

The second CLE started testing the waters for James, he probably woudl've said, "okay, now I'm leaving for sure. They thought he was going to be loyal, so they tried to be loyal. If they'd had known then damn, they could've gotten an awesome package for him.

Naw homie.

Who in God's green earth that wasn't thinking from a womanly place of straight emotion (Cavs fans and Dan Gilbert), thought that he was staying in Cleveland?

DID YOU?

If you did, shame on you and don't ever, ever gamble.

vegas odds June 27, 2010,
LeBron James
Cavaliers -150
Bulls +125
Knicks +250
Nets +400
Heat +600
Clippers +1000

The Heat became the favorites a week before his decision.

But you never answered my question.
oikosnomos
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,934

Post#43 » by oikosnomos » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:24 pm

I like how people just say "They should have traded him", like trading him means you just get anything you want.

You are going to run into the same problem that Denver is running into with Melo. Teams aren't going to give you anything you want for a rental. It could be Shaq in his prime and teams are still not going to give you anything you want for 3 months of a great player, not without a commitment. Teams would rather just wait til free agency.

Chris Rock saying "you could have gotten an awesome player and then 2 or 3 you liked"...what? How? You have to find this team that has all these players and some how convince them that their entire team is worth Lebron and 10 day contracts, undrafted players and D-league call ups. Lebron has Wade and Bosh and they still aren't unstoppable.

It makes no sense. Not only does Chris not have incredible foresight, he doesn't even currently comprehend the situation.
Ctownbulls
RealGM
And1: 3,715

Post#44 » by Ctownbulls » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:34 pm

Harry_Seaward wrote:
SaveOurBullets wrote:I wouldn't trade LeBron for Durant or Dwight, either.

For Dwight I would easily. Cause this is a wing player's league as it currently sits.

You wouldn't trade LeBron for Durant? Are you crazy? LeBron is head and shoulders above Durant. Durant supporting cast in OKC is 100X better than what LBJ had in Cleveland, let me know when OKC wins over 65 games.
Starkiller
Assistant Coach
And1: 269

Post#45 » by Starkiller » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:38 pm

oikosnomos wrote:I like how people just say "They should have traded him", like trading him means you just get anything you want.

You are going to run into the same problem that Denver is running into with Melo. Teams aren't going to give you anything you want for a rental. It could be Shaq in his prime and teams are still not going to give you anything you want for 3 months of a great player, not without a commitment. Teams would rather just wait til free agency.

Chris Rock saying "you could have gotten an awesome player and then 2 or 3 you liked"...what? How? You have to find this team that has all these players and some how convince them that their entire team is worth Lebron and 10 day contracts, undrafted players and D-league call ups. Lebron has Wade and Bosh and they still aren't unstoppable.

It makes no sense. Not only does Chris not have incredible foresight, he doesn't even currently comprehend the situation.

But, whatever they got for James would be better ten fold than what they have now.
This ^
Basketball Fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 4

Post#46 » by Basketball Fan » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:45 pm

Look I never faulted LeBron for leaving I do fault him for a self serving Decision Special on national TV. Really what made him think that was a good idea. I mean yeah they would've hated it if he left but at least its easier to take than that public humiliation.
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,213

Post#47 » by ALL HAIL » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:48 pm

oikosnomos wrote:I like how people just say "They should have traded him", like trading him means you just get anything you want.

Sign and Trade my man.

They could have signed and then traded him in the off season.

By the way that's more than likely what will happen with Carmelo Anthony as well (sign and trade ... if it still exists wiht new CBA).
Ming Kong!
RealGM
And1: 31

Post#48 » by Ming Kong! » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:59 pm

Well Chris was right, he could of got anyone, except maybe Dwight, but I'm not too sure about that one. He might be right that at midseason last year the Thunder might not have pulled a trigger on Durant, but this year I'm pretty sure he'd trade for James. For as good as Durant is, I don't know if he'll ever be as good as James was when he was at 20-21, forget today. You could argue that he's not a top 5 player in the NBA now, hell some would say he doesn't distance himself enough from his teammate Westbrook. James is clearly the best player in the league, a favorite for MVP on the freaking Heat, when most people thought Durant or Kobe would be MVP this season, and that James would likely never win an MVP as a member of the Heat.
ChuckTheD
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#49 » by ChuckTheD » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:28 pm

Definitely couldn't have gotten Kobe. Not only does he have a no trade clause, but Buss wouldn't do that to a guy who's brought the franchise a half a decade worth of championships. Would've been a good trade for us, but no way in hell the FO does Kobe like that.
jaypo wrote: The general consensus was that Deavon George was more "skilled" than Kobe back then.
rjgraca
Head Coach
And1: 43

Post#50 » by rjgraca » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:35 pm

This is a great wet dream thread for Prince Lebron James Bandwagon fans defending the ESPN decision show too about Lebron loving himself in third person :lol: . Since when did Chris Rock have such prestige and knowledge about NBA basketball? Why didn't Chris Rock, with this vast basketball insight, give an excuse why the Heat won't win any more games than the CAVs did last season? Prince Lebron still falls short to the Celtics... maybe he just needs his 'look at my stats' tee shirt.
Harry_Seaward
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#51 » by Harry_Seaward » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:43 pm

rjgraca wrote:This is a great wet dream thread for Prince Lebron James Bandwagon fans defending the ESPN decision show too about Lebron loving himself in third person :lol: . Since when did Chris Rock have such prestige and knowledge about NBA basketball? Why didn't Chris Rock, with this vast basketball insight, give an excuse why the Heat won't win any more games than the CAVs did last season? Prince Lebron still falls short to the Celtics... maybe he just needs his 'look at my stats' tee shirt.

Laughing emoticon does not mean what you said was funny.

That is all.
mup
Veteran
And1: 556

Post#52 » by mup » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:49 pm

ALL HAIL wrote:
colts18 wrote:He is wrong on the trading point. No way could Gilbert trade LeBron without getting murdered in Cleveland.

I can't stand that arguement.

If your the owner of a team with LeBron "effin" James, there is NO WAY in hell you allow him to hit free agency without a guarantee that he'd come back.

If he couldn't guarantee that he'd be back (which basically means that he wants to leave), then you work as diligently as possible to secure as many assets as possible to insure that your team will be competitive for years to come.
Do you sign and trade James for a top 10 -15 player and picks or let him go for a TPE?

That's dumb business folks, no matter how you slice it. To hell with fan perception, to hell with being able to adequately place blame on a villain.
Your job as owner or GM is put your team in the best position to win. PERIOD

As Chris Rock so eloquently stated, Dan Gilbert of the Cavs did not do that in the slightest imaginable way. YOU DO NOT LET THE BEST PLAYER IN THE LEAGUE GO WITHOUT BEING PROPERLY COMPENSATED.

Take a moment, close your eyes and imagine the myriad of players the Cavs could have gotten if they put LeBron James up for sale ... ... now you [should] see my point (and Chris Rock's as well).
No way. Dumb business is doing something that pisses off all of your customers. You're thinking of this only from a basketball standpoint, but not a business standpoint.

Lebron never came out and said he didn't want to be in Cleveland. In fact, for right or for wrong, everybody in Cleveland thought he was coming back. He was a hometown guy. He had made vague, stupid comments about winning a championship in Cleveland. The team was winning. Cleveland was in first place, was the odds-on favorite to win the nba championship, and was selling out the arena every night.

Given that, you think the Cavs should have traded Lebron last year? Even if Lebron walked into Dan Gilbert's office and told him there is absolutely no way he was coming back, it still would have been business suicide to trade him. He would have been traded and then the d-bag would have been on national tv talking about how he never wanted to leave his hometown, that he planned to re-sign and that he was stabbed in the back. Then, all of a sudden, 20,562 at the Q turns into 2,000 at the Q with a lynch mob outside Dan Gilbert's house.

And not only that, but you would have sacrificed a legitimate shot at winning the title in 2010. Bird in teh hand is worth ten in the bush. Even if you know Lebron's leaving, you have to take that shot. You don't worry about next year.

You're too focused on basketball and not on business. Some people on here may know basketball better than Dan Gilbert, but they don't know business for ****. The Cavs are still making money hand over fist and part of the reason is the way that Gilbert played the Lebron departure. If the Cavs had followed your model, the Cavs might be middle of the pack instead of the worst team in the league right now, but the Q would be empty because the fans would have thought the team betrayed them by trading their hero who would now be somewhere else claiming that he never wanted to leave.

And then what would you do? Go on local tv and try to explain to the fans that you had no choice and that you were more worried about going 45-37 in 2011 than trying to win a championship in 2010? Lebron would never admit he planned to leave and you basically would lose your fans forever. Ted Stepien would be rolling over in his grave laughing at your ass.

So, let's compare the two models:

Dan Gilbert
1) Legitimate shot at title in 2010
2) Team is horrible in 2011
3) Team will have high draft picks in 2011 to begin rebuild
4) Fans in Cleveland view Lebron as the villain
5) Fans love Dan Gilbert
6) Fans continue to love their Cavs
7) Fans still pack the Q
8) Cavs continue tio make money

Your idea
1) No shot at title in 2010
3) Team is mediocre in 2011 with a shot at a bottom rung playoff spot but no shot at a title
3) Team will be mediocre for the next decade but, hey, at least they're not bad, right?
4) Lebron denies ever wanting to leave Cleveland. So, fans in Cleveland view Lebron as the hero and build statues to him
5) Fans hate Dan Gilbert and he needs 625 bodyguards every where he goes
6) Fans despise the Cavs for forfeiting a shot at a title
7) Tumbleweeds pack the Q
8) Cavs don't know what money is.

Running a team is not about winning basketball games; it's about running a business. Good basketball decisions does not necessarily equal good business decisions.
mup
Veteran
And1: 556

Post#53 » by mup » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:54 pm

ALL HAIL wrote:

Sign and Trade my man.

They could have signed and then traded him in the off season.

By the way that's more than likely what will happen with Carmelo Anthony as well (sign and trade ... if it still exists wiht new CBA).
James has to agree to a sign and trade. Couldn't have signed and traded him because the team he wanted to go to (Miami) had cap space. So, they didn't have to offer anything to the Cavs as part of a sign and trade--- they could just sign him (Which is what they did). They didn't have aanything to offer anyway.
ropjhk
RealGM
And1: 10,527

Post#54 » by ropjhk » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:05 pm

You don't trade your best player when you have a legit chance to win the title. Even if you know he's not coming back next year.

Last season was Cleveland's best chance at a title. They had to pull out all the stops to win it. The only thing you can fault them was for not having done better at the trade deadline.
Pimpwerx
Banned User
And1: 78

Post#55 » by Pimpwerx » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:27 pm

If he called this during the season, like he says, then I think he had a lot of foresight. As he notes, he has inside information. No surprise being a celebrity that often sits courtside. How'd he know Bron was leaving and not Gilbert?

Better yet, how does someone not get the hint when you've been put on ignore all year? Bron wasn't calling them back. Oh yeah...he must definitely be coming back, right? Is this just excuse-making, or are people this naive?

If your girl stopped calling you one day, and never returned your messages, are you still telling your boys she's your girl? How much of a sucker do you have to be? PEACE.
Speedlot
Lead Assistant
And1: 697

Post#56 » by Speedlot » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:27 pm

Is there a TLDR version?
Pimpwerx
Banned User
And1: 78

Post#57 » by Pimpwerx » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:32 pm

Basketball Fan wrote:Look I never faulted LeBron for leaving I do fault him for a self serving Decision Special on national TV. Really what made him think that was a good idea. I mean yeah they would've hated it if he left but at least its easier to take than that public humiliation.

I'm sure the kids int he boys and girls club extend a hearty **** you to you and the Cleveland fans for ignoring the millions they received. As said, Bron would have been skewered one way or another. Look at how pathetic Cavs fans are acting now. You think they have the decency to cut him slack if he leaves privately? Hell no. Cleveland has permanent jilted-lover syndrome. A collective fanbase of crybabies.

I have no sympathy for people who intentionally delude themselves into thinking things are going great. The writing was on the wall. I didn't care for Bron much, and didn't follow the whole saga until ESPN started ramming it down my throat. But even I said he was leaving.

It's Cleveland, and people in Ohio have to come to grips with the fact that no one wants to live in Ohio. Like Rock said, who the hell moves from Miami to Ohio? I didn't think he was coming here until Steven Smith said it, but I knew he was leaving. You don't ignore someone who intend on staying with. The situation really was like a breakup where one person is in complete denial. Bron stopped calling you. He hasn't mentioned you to anyone, and doesn't return any of your messages. He's just not that into you, Cleveland. Grow the **** up. PEACE.
Bled
Sixth Man
And1: 261

Post#58 » by Bled » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:41 pm

ropjhk wrote:You don't trade your best player when you have a legit chance to win the title. Even if you know he's not coming back next year.

Last season was Cleveland's best chance at a title. They had to pull out all the stops to win it. The only thing you can fault them was for not having done better at the trade deadline.

I personally believe Cleveland's best chance at a title was the year before, not last year. Lebron really put his all into the 08-09 playoffs trying to win the Cavs a chip. His teammates really let him down then (I think that was the point Lebron really knew he couldnt win with this franchise) and he was frustrated.

I get what you are saying though, on reputation of the players alone and Lebrons MVP play it seemed like that was the best Cavs team that was poised to win the championship. You don't trade a player having an MVP season, you just dont.
Vertical Limit
RealGM
And1: 5,386

Post#59 » by Vertical Limit » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:47 pm

Pat Riley banned Scott Raab from the Heat facilities in the offseason after he made some stupid tweets/comments.
Harry_Seaward
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#60 » by Harry_Seaward » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:51 pm

Bled wrote:
ropjhk wrote:You don't trade your best player when you have a legit chance to win the title. Even if you know he's not coming back next year.

I personally believe Cleveland's best chance at a title was the year before, not last year. Lebron really put his all into the 08-09 playoffs trying to win the Cavs a chip. His teammates really let him down then (I think that was the point Lebron really knew he couldnt win with this franchise) and he was frustrated.

I get what you are saying though, on reputation of the players alone and Lebrons MVP play it seemed like that was the best Cavs team that was poised to win the championship. You don't trade a player having an MVP season, you just dont.

Completely agree with the 08-09 comments.

Return to The General Board