Moments like This makes me Love What Lebron Did to Dan Gil

sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,544

Re: Moments like This makes me Love What Lebron Did to Dan Gil 

Post#41 » by sp6r=underrated » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:11 pm

TheOUTLAW wrote:People don't seem to realize that employees get relocated or divisions/companies sold all the time.

The Supreme Court rejected the view that sports team are separate divisions of a larger organization and instead held they are separate companies. So this isn't like getting shifted to the marketing division from the sale division in Dupont. This is like being traded from Dupont to Dow which doesn't happen outside of sports.
Harry_Seaward
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#42 » by Harry_Seaward » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:12 pm

mrhonline wrote:You need to account for the difference between ESPN leaking details of the deal before it's finalized and the actual deal being consummated. It doesn't make sense for the Jazz to tell Deron they're trading him if the deal falls through.

And it's little things like this, as to why I say you can't compare the scenarios.

There are so many little (and big) tangible differences that to equate them makes no sense at all.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,544

Post#43 » by sp6r=underrated » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:14 pm

UssjTrunks wrote:
Players should have NO say as to where they go. They need to STFU and play, that's why they're getting paid millions.

1. They aren't paid millions to get them to play. NBA players make millions because they generate 5 + billion dollars of revenue.

2. NBA players are in the 99.999th percentile of ability in their profession. NBA superstars like Deron are even more rare. Individuals this talented will always have a say in their career and they should have that say.
calamity
Sixth Man
And1: 55

Post#44 » by calamity » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:15 pm

hold up...he found out via SC...now thats cold. :o
druggas
Head Coach
And1: 5,145

Post#45 » by druggas » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:16 pm

LeQuit started this mess, blame him.
E_Breeezy
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#46 » by E_Breeezy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:19 pm

UssjTrunks wrote:Is that you Lebron?

Players should have NO say as to where they go. They need to STFU and play, that's why they're getting paid millions.

^^
One of the most foolish statements ive seen lol...
"players should have NO say as to where they go" ?.... So if thats the case what is the point of being a Free Agent?.... Im sorry because im not quite understanding your logic.

Thats pritty much saying "Workers shouldnt have a choice of where they want to work when their contract is expired. They need to just STFU & Work!".....

great logic there buddy. what is this Slavery?
Lol smh
uncarved block
Banned User

Post#47 » by uncarved block » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:20 pm

lol in the words of Rev JJ thats the slave owner mentality
mup
Veteran
And1: 556

Post#48 » by mup » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:25 pm

Don Draper wrote:I think you guys are missing the point. I think the OP is saying that because owners can show no loyalty and trade players regardless if they want to be traded we shouldn't crucify LeBron James for leaving (especially when he was a free agent).

If this is what you are saying I 100% agree.
Nobody's shedding a tear for Dan Gilbert. The fans get screwed in both situations. If people crucify Lebron, it's because of what he supposedly did to the Cavs' fans by leaving that way, not Dan Gilbert.
ty123
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#49 » by ty123 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:29 pm

Who said players have no say where the want to go? Players have all the say where they want to go. You cannot trade a player to a team he doesn't want to go to. There were several times where the Raptors had to buyout player contracts because players did not want to get paid millions to play in Toronto. And the league doesn't give us any other option.
uncarved block
Banned User

Post#50 » by uncarved block » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:30 pm

ty123 wrote:Who said players have no say where the want to go? Players have all the say where they want to go. You cannot trade a player to a team he doesn't want to go to. There were several times where the Raptors had to buyout player contracts because players did not want to get paid millions to play in Toronto. And the league doesn't give us any other option.

Didnt John Salmons say "god" didnt want him to go to Toronto bwahah
elbowthrower
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#51 » by elbowthrower » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:31 pm

Hydroponic3385 wrote:Deron helped drive out a hall of fame coach. Deron said he wants to play in New York in a couple years. Utah saw the absolute BS Lebron put the Cavs through (and to a lesser degree Bosh put Toronto through, but Bosh was pretty damn clear he was leaving), giving absolutely zero clarity as to whether he'd stay or not. And then Utah watched this Melo drama unfold during the actual season, and watched Denver get a successful return for him.

Knowing the drama Deron has caused already (Sloan, NY comments), and watching teams like Cleveland/Toronto get screwed (and finally Denver not getting that screwed by making a move while they could), Utah decided to forego future Deron drama and trade him now for some nice assets.

Don't say Utah was disloyal. Deron started all of this. And judging from Cleveland/Toronto compared to Denver (And I'm a Cavs fan) - I'd say Utah was smart to follow the "I know our player is going to sign with another team/demand to be traded, so let's trade him" route.

*EDIT* And in terms of Deron "finding out by watching Sportscenter", who's to say Utah didn't find out Deron wants to play elsewhere (his NY comments) via Sportscenter as well? I get the feeling that this is a situation where Deron was in the beginning stages of really screwing over the Jazz, and the Jazz decided to end it before it got out of control. Good for them.

Pretty much how I see it too. Williams made his own bed on this one.
Heej
General Manager
And1: 8,639

Post#52 » by Heej » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:32 pm

I hate all the people who say it's Bosh and Lebron's fault Cleveland and Toronto only got a TPE and picks and return. It's not their fault Danny Grant and Brian Colangelo are morons that didn't ask for players like Beasley, Chalmers, or Anthony in return. Hell, if they let it be known they were looking at some of the Heat's young players they probably could have gotten Miami to hold off on trading Wright and Cook for nothing.
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
Harry_Seaward
Banned User

Post#53 » by Harry_Seaward » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:34 pm

mup wrote:
Don Draper wrote:I think you guys are missing the point. I think the OP is saying that because owners can show no loyalty and trade players regardless if they want to be traded we shouldn't crucify LeBron James for leaving (especially when he was a free agent).

If this is what you are saying I 100% agree.
Nobody's shedding a tear for Dan Gilbert. The fans get screwed in both situations. If people crucify Lebron, it's because of what he supposedly did to the Cavs' fans by leaving that way, not Dan Gilbert.

Why feel bad for the Cavaliers fans when they got 6 years of exciting basketball? They got to watch a league MVP, and exciting playoff games and 60 win seasons... Some fan bases NEVER get that.

Sure they didn't win it all but most teams don't.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,410

Post#54 » by Raps in 4 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:36 pm

E_Breeezy wrote:

^^
One of the most foolish statements ive seen lol...
"players should have NO say as to where they go" ?.... So if thats the case what is the point of being a Free Agent?.... Im sorry because im not quite understanding your logic.

Thats pritty much saying "Workers shouldnt have a choice of where they want to work when their contract is expired. They need to just STFU & Work!".....

great logic there buddy. what is this Slavery?
Lol smh

Did I mention free agency anywhere in my post? Reading comprehension fail.

I said that as long as he is under contract (which he is), he should have no input over where he goes. If the Jazz feel that it's in their best interests to trade him, then he needs to accept that and play wherever they trade him.
Shaheen
Banned User

Post#55 » by Shaheen » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:36 pm

Who the **** cares what players want. Back in the day superstars played for whoever payed them. Their paying your salary, they can send you wherever they want.
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,155

Post#56 » by Edrees » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:37 pm

Based wrote:
Big Shamrock wrote:Uh, Deron didn't leave, he got A. Utah actually got something substantial back for their loss, not just a A exception or a pick.

Silly comparison.

That is the thread starters whole point.

Deron got traded out of nowhere, with no heads up at all. Reporters knew at the same time Deron did.

Now imagine living in one place for over 7 years, family, kids in school, friends all over... then all of a sudden you are forced out and to move to a different state.

This is what GM's do. Lebron knew this too, he owed nothing to the GM staff...
And deron's situation is a perfect example.

How does not telling the GM help? If Deron told Utah management he wanted a trade he probably would have been involved in the talks and actually gone somewhere he wanted. if anything this encourages players to demand trades more often rather than sit quietly until FA so they aren't traded to the wrong destination
Harry_Seaward
Banned User

Post#57 » by Harry_Seaward » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:46 pm

Shaheen wrote:Who the **** cares what players want. Back in the day superstars played for whoever payed them. Their paying your salary, they can send you wherever they want.

If only it were so.

Some of the leagues biggest stars of yesteryear refused to play for certain teams and rallied for trades to specific squads but believe what you want..they're your memories.
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,070

Post#58 » by tidho » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:50 pm

Why are people trying to equate the role of boss (owner) and employee (player)?
There are different expectations for bosses and employees. Bosses are allowed to make personnel decisions, its their job, at the same time there is an expectation that an employee should they excersise their right to leave an employer do so in a professional manner. This is not a relationship of equals.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,009

Post#59 » by HMFFL » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:55 pm

E_Breeezy wrote:Moments like THIS (Deron Williams Trade) Justifies Lebron Leaving the Cavs without giving any notice or warning to Dan Gilbert!....

why should a Super Star PG like Deron Williams... a member of the Redeem Team in the Olympics, & arguably the Best PG in the League Find out he was traded by watchin Sports Center?.....

thats just flatout disrespectful!.... These NBA owners Trade Players with NO regaurd & with NO notice what so ever....
So why should Lebron or ANY Player for that matter be obligated to give owners a "heads up" on what they want to do with Their Career?

You can defend Deron Williams all you want, but it's not like you know the situation with Utah, and how immature he acted. It seemed like Deron was causing a few problems in Utah and even Jerry Sloan decided to stop teaching once he knew it was pointless.

Deron Williams is my favorite point guard, but he possibly created issues within the organization, and he ran his mouth about wanting to play for New York. I think Utah did what was needed. It's not like an organization is going to move one of the best point guards in the game if they've been innocent.
TheHartBreakKid
General Manager
And1: 4,316

Post#60 » by TheHartBreakKid » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:57 pm

OP I understand what you're saying, but as I'm sure its been mentioned before it isn't how Lebron treated Gil that's the problem. The issue is the disrespect that he showed the fans and the city of Cleveland, which is only mainly due to the decision. I for one never felt sorry for a Multi-milliionaire Nba owner, and while I think what he did with the letter was a good move regarding fan support at that time, I feel like it was more his inner fan than him as a owner. The owner part of him should get over it just like Deron will.

Return to The General Board