Brooklyn Gaining Appeal for Howard

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Re: Brooklyn Gaining Appeal for Howard 

Post#121 » by DarkXaero » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:44 pm

Clippers' cap space will be gone soon when they offer max extensions to Blake and Eric Gordon. Not to mention, they have probably the worst owner in the league. AngryJimmy seems to be misinformed because Nets only traded two draft picks for Deron. They still have at least 3 1st round draft picks over the next 2 drafts. Not to mention, contrary to what many may think, Brook is a great trade asset for Dwight.

Like MaceCase said, how can Nets with Deron and Dwight not be a potential "winner"? AngryJimmy's post comes off as someone just hating on a team.
WeAreVenom
Head Coach
And1: 325

Post#122 » by WeAreVenom » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:48 pm

Shaheen wrote:
zORi wrote:I didn't say no one wants to play with Blake Griffin. I said no one wants to play for the Clippers, there's a difference, there.

Please tell me you're not serious.

If the franchise had the power, Melo wouldn't be a Knick. He'd be a Net. Have you been paying attention at all over the last 9 months?

What on Earth would prevent people from signing with the Clippers if they have Griffin and are in LA?

Umm not at all. The new Knicks package rivals that of the Nets, thats why it was done. The Nuggets manipulated the situation so they could have the most.

Melo even said he thought he would be a Net the day he was about to be traded confirming he had no power.

What on Earth would prevent people from signing with the Clippers if they have Griffin and are in LA?

The new Knicks package rivals that of the Nets, thats why it was done.

Ok, nevermind, I'm not arguing with you anymore.

These 2 quotes either prove that you are 9 or that you have been living in a cave the last year or so.

Denver takes the Nets package 10 times out of 10 if they could, do you even remember what they were offering? Better than what NY gave up, especially for the future.

Melo didn't say he would be a Net, he said "If they trade me there, then so be it", but it didn't happen because Melo refused to sign.

Tell me something, if the franchise had the power, then why did Denver only have serious talks with 2 teams this whole time about dealing Melo? Why not have a bidding war with the league, any team would love to have him. It doesn't work that way.
SubyWill
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#123 » by SubyWill » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:51 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:Lopez
D. James
Farmar
Petro
$18m tpe
Hou #1
Nj #1
$3m cash

For

Dwight
Turkoglu

Do it! This summer.....

D. Williams
Morrow
Turkoglu
Outlaw
D. Howard

Work to do obviously, but a great place to start and a year to tweak prior to Brooklyn.

Gets Orlando....a non contender out of the tax....

Nelson l farmar l duhon
Redick l arenas l
D. James l q. Rich
Vasquez l Anderson l bass
Lopez l orton l petro

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sign&Trade Jameer and Bass for D-Will. Do it, Free Deron Williams out of that hell hole.

And :lol: :lol: :lol: @ a real superstar going to the Clippers. You guys don't anything about the Clippers ownership, do you? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Angry Jimmy
Analyst
And1: 444

Post#124 » by Angry Jimmy » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:57 pm

DarkXaero wrote:Clippers' cap space will be gone soon when they offer max extensions to Blake and Eric Gordon. Not to mention, they have probably the worst owner in the league. AngryJimmy seems to be misinformed because Nets only traded two draft picks for Deron. They still have at least 3 1st round draft picks over the next 2 drafts. Not to mention, contrary to what many may think, Brook is a great trade asset for Dwight.

Like MaceCase said, how can Nets with Deron and Dwight not be a potential "winner"? AngryJimmy's post comes off as someone just hating on a team.

Which would be after they signed Williams and/or Howard.

I was misinformed about the picks, what picks do the Nets still have?

I disagree about Lopez, I think he's pretty worthless. To build a contender you need a C who can play defense and rebound, more than you need scoring.

If I'm picking a no defense/no rebounding center to build by losing team around, I'd rather have Bargani, I just don't think Brook Lopez is worth more than a late lotto or mid 1st round pick. I think you could get a much better deal for Dwight than him.
Rccanes2311
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#125 » by Rccanes2311 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:59 pm

LOL at anyone who thinks a center that doesn't rebound or play defense is a good trade assest. Brook Lopez sucks. I'm sorry if you're 7ft and can't get 1 rebound in 30 minutes I don't want you anywhere near my team in fear of making them as soft as yourself. If Lopez is a good trade asset why the hell are the Nets so garbage?
WeAreVenom
Head Coach

Post#126 » by WeAreVenom » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:03 pm

MaceCase wrote:I've never heard players refusing to play for those franchises based on the merit that they didn't want to live in the **** holes that the stadiums were built in. Hell's Kitchen, the South Bronx, Flushing, hell even the Polo Grounds were all major rat holes or pure boondocks when their stadiums were first built there and that's nowhere close to the developed hipster capitol and celebrity hovel that Downtown Brooklyn is which is geographically closer to the Financial District than any of the other teams as the real estate prices will attest. I say this because I'm essentially reading multiple posters saying "why would Dwight want to play in New York City over my smaller city?" as if that's laughable some how.

You're also forgetting factors such as weather and state tax. As well as multiple other things.
Hell, IIRC, Amar'e was going to return to Phoenix if the money was right.

People are also saying why would Dwight play for New York's second tier team and using the Clippers example.....Do you know how many championships the Lakers have won since the year the Clippers moved to LA alone? 8. Do you know what the Clippers have done over that same timespan? Been without a doubt the worst franchise in the entire league......I can't imagine why one would be vastly more popular than the other yet despite how terrible the other is they have still managed decent attendance and revenue.

And how many championships will the Brooklyn Nets have when they move there? How many long standing Nets fans will be in Brooklyn? You're crazy if you honestly think a team is going to come in and in 1 good year and immediately overtake one of the most successful franchises in league history. The Brooklyn Nets will always be Number 2. This has nothing to do with success, as much as it has to do with history.

Not to mention that the Knicks will surely have filled out by then, while the Nets will still be building. Amar'e and Melo will have nearly 2 years of experience under their belts, while also having time to build a correct roster, most likely they will be contending by then.

Don't fool yourselves, New York is as big a bandwagon town as any other that has so many teams with a mostly spread out championship history. Sure there are the Diehards but there are also the diehard bandwagoners of whom you will repeatedly hear "Oh, I'm a New York fan!" which translated means "I'm a fan of whichever New York team is winning." I can't tell you the number of people that all of a sudden became born and bred Jets fans during their recent playoff run despite the Giants being considered the 1st tier team or how many people rediscovered their "devotion" to the Giants during their Super Bowl season. This is a town where a kid would throw on Red Sox hat despite never being above Yonkers in their life because they feel cool for being "counter culture" and not because they have any investment in sports. I say this because the Knicks are nowhere close to being in the same discussion as the Yankees with their championships so they haven't warranted enough to consider themselves some elite top dog in the city.

Again, if the Jets and Giants are both good at the same time (like the Knicks and Nets would be), then the Giants win every time with most fans, hands down.

Maybe NYers are bandwagoners, but a lot of them are diehards. The Knicks never had attendance problems, and then they broke one of their own records for season-ticket sales this last offseason before even one move had been made.

In the end, the free agents will go to the best situation for them. Grant Hill, Tim Duncan and Tracy McGrady were interested in the small market Orlando because it offered them considerable dollars and the best product on the court. Shaq thought the same when he left Orlando. Wade, Lebron and Bosh turned down the top 3 markets in NY, CHI and LA for MIA because it offered them considerable dollars and the best product on the court. I expect Dwight to do the same and believe it or not, teams with the most amount of flexibility to construct a better contender have a more than likely chance to get him.

/thesis

Wrong again, Shaq left for dollars maybe, but it had nothing to do with what was on the court.
The Orlando media also pushed him in a wrong direction, which lead to him being (justifiably) pissed off.

He left a team that had an All-NBA first team, unselfish, PG in Penny Hardaway, that had just came off a Finals appearance and an ECF appearance.

He left to go to a Lakers team that didn't even have a proper sidekick for him, hadn't made the playoffs, and had traded their best player to make room for him.
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#127 » by DarkXaero » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:26 pm

Angry Jimmy wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:Clippers' cap space will be gone soon when they offer max extensions to Blake and Eric Gordon. Not to mention, they have probably the worst owner in the league. AngryJimmy seems to be misinformed because Nets only traded two draft picks for Deron. They still have at least 3 1st round draft picks over the next 2 drafts. Not to mention, contrary to what many may think, Brook is a great trade asset for Dwight.

Which would be after they signed Williams and/or Howard.

I was misinformed about the picks, what picks do the Nets still have?

I disagree about Lopez, I think he's pretty worthless. To build a contender you need a C who can play defense and rebound, more than you need scoring.

If I'm picking a no defense/no rebounding center to build by losing team around, I'd rather have Bargani, I just don't think Brook Lopez is worth more than a late lotto or mid 1st round pick. I think you could get a much better deal for Dwight than him.
I think you're forgetting that Eric Gordon is on his third year of rookie contract. He actually becomes a restricted free agent in 2012 too. And many people are also forgetting that Blake is on his second year of his rookie contract. Clippers FO have already said that they'll offer him the max extension as soon as its possible. And I don't think any player in the league is keen on playing for Donald Sterling.

Nets have the Lakers 1st round pick this year which will be a late 1st round pick. Then in next year's draft which is considered to be a good draft class, they'll have their own 1st round pick, the Rockets lottery protected 1st round pick. And they'll have their own 2nd round picks in both 2011 and 2012.

You think Lopez is worthless? Well, good thing you're not a GM. Brook had a terrible off season as he had mono over the summer which caused him to lose a lot of weight. Now we just learned yesterday that he has been playing with calcium deposit in his arm for most of the season. Brook's defense and rebounding has been poor this season but it was passable in previous seasons. Infact, he was a top 10 offensive rebounder in his rookie season. So the potential is all there, he just needs good coaching and a good off season to work off. This season, he has also been playing next to a top 5 rebounder in Humphries, who is simply a beast on the glass. If you'd rather have Bargani, then you're simply delusional. Raptors fans will be the first to tell you that Brook is a better player. Brook regularly gets double/triple teamed because he is the Nets' only good offensive option. (excluding Deron)
organix85
General Manager
And1: 331

Post#128 » by organix85 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:42 pm

*sigh* I'm sure Dwight isn't eliminating anyone at this point...including Orlando. This rumor is garbage.
TyrusRose2425 wrote:Imagine how much more athletic Noah would be if he didn't have his big ass ball sack dragging him down
SolidSnake008
Banned User

Post#129 » by SolidSnake008 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:49 pm

HMFFL wrote:
SolidSnake008 wrote:the beautiful thing is nobody really knows what Dwight is going to do...we can all sit here a speculate but we can only go off of things we see or hear....I mean you have this story saying he might want to go to the Nets....Then you have Dwight himself saying he wants to stay but in the end all we can do is speculate until it's that time....I just can't see how anyone can be certain of anything right now

Like nitetrain8603 said, the players change their mind. The press are able to observe facial expressions, body language, and hear the tone of the players voice during interviews. In most cases we can only read the quote and make our own assumptions. The writers take it day by day and go with it.

I expect Dwight Howard to wait an see what Orlando does this off-season and make-up his mind depending on the results. I think New Jersey is an option for him, but right now I would expect him to stay with Orlando.

That could be true but Dwight could of easily did what Carmelo did and not say anything either way....he could of just said he wants to focus on basketball and no one would hate him for saying that...Anyone who know Dwight knows that he isn't some disingenuous guy who repeats lines fed to him by his Agent he speaks from the heart....He chose to say those words when he could of said something else..nobody had a gun to his head when he said it....Like you said people's minds change but he wouldn't of said what he said if there wasn't at least some truth to it imho....the man said what he said why try to make it something further than what it is at this point?
Bearsfan1989
Banned User

Post#130 » by Bearsfan1989 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:38 pm

I hope the NBA does something to stop from other teams forming super-teams. A stronger cap would be great, I'm tired of these divas looking for easy wins.
Shaheen
Banned User

Post#131 » by Shaheen » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:08 pm

Rccanes2311 wrote:]

I'd rather let him walk and rebuild. No trading. The way this team is built anything short of getting a guy like Wade, Lebron, Durant, Paul .... etc means this team is going to fall off. There is no trade that would keep this team a top the east that brings back someone as soft as Brook Lopez. If Brook Lopez was any good the Nets wouldn't be pure garbage as is.

This is such crap. Why does EVERYONE act like Brook Lopez is worthless cause for one season his rebounding dipped a little bit?

Lopez averages 20 points a game, and thats a freaking huge *** accomplishment. Getting back Lopez, pick, a huge trade exception, and picks is definitely valuable. AND they can absorb Hedo's awful contract.

You may be bitter about Dwight leaving and want him to go for nothing, but the Magic sure as hell would not be.
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,466

Post#132 » by Blame Rasho » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:12 pm

Yeah... I think it is doubtful that Howard leaves Orlando.
Shaheen
Banned User

Post#133 » by Shaheen » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:14 pm

zORi wrote:Ok, nevermind, I'm not arguing with you anymore.

These 2 quotes either prove that you are 9 or that you have been living in a cave the last year or so.

Denver takes the Nets package 10 times out of 10 if they could, do you even remember what they were offering? Better than what NY gave up, especially for the future.

Melo didn't say he would be a Net, he said "If they trade me there, then so be it", but it didn't happen because Melo refused to sign.

Tell me something, if the franchise had the power, then why did Denver only have serious talks with 2 teams this whole time about dealing Melo? Why not have a bidding war with the league, any team would love to have him. It doesn't work that way.

When your arguments fail, you turn towards personal attacks? This entire debate I've never attacked your credibility or intelligence despite strongly disagreeing with everything you said.

Now who's 9 years old again?

Now read this

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/21 ... New_Jersey

Carmelo, did not know where he was going and thought he was headed to NJ RIGHT BEFORE THE TRADE!!!!

Meaning that he didn't know the **** what was going on and didn't have control over the situation. Denver just liked NY's package better.
Shaheen
Banned User

Post#134 » by Shaheen » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:16 pm

organix85 wrote:*sigh* I'm sure Dwight isn't eliminating anyone at this point...including Orlando. This rumor is garbage.

Reading comprehension?

Nobody said Dwight was eliminating anyone. Read the title of the thread.
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,466

Post#135 » by Blame Rasho » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:17 pm

All this speculation is fun, but ESPN is having all the laughs because it is more hits to their webpage. In all honestly...we know nothing, and all these "insiders" know just as much as us.
Rccanes2311
Rookie

Post#136 » by Rccanes2311 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:15 pm

Shaheen wrote:

I'd rather let him walk and rebuild. No trading. The way this team is built anything short of getting a guy like Wade, Lebron, Durant, Paul .... etc means this team is going to fall off. There is no trade that would keep this team a top the east that brings back someone as soft as Brook Lopez. If Brook Lopez was any good the Nets wouldn't be pure garbage as is.

This is such crap. Why does EVERYONE act like Brook Lopez is worthless cause for one season his rebounding dipped a little bit?

Lopez averages 20 points a game, and thats a freaking huge *** accomplishment. Getting back Lopez, pick, a huge trade exception, and picks is definitely valuable. AND they can absorb Hedo's awful contract.

You may be bitter about Dwight leaving and want him to go for nothing, but the Magic sure as hell would not be.

I never said he was worthless but he's no better than Andres Bargiani. I wouldn't want either one of them. 20 ppg doesn't mean crap if that's all you do. Lopez sucks. Dwight is the best player in the NBA IMO. If all I'm getting back is Brook freaking Lopez some late round draft picks and you're absorbing Hedo's contract that's the worst trade in NBA history hands **** down. No one wins championships or rebuilds around soft centers who can't get a rebound in 30 freaking minutes. The Nets have absolutely nothing the Magic want or need, and the Magic would be fools to trade with them. Once again the Magic would be better off letting him walk. Either way the fans won't show up for a while so that big new arena is going to be quite empty.

Once again if Lopez was worth anything the Nets wouldn't be dogcrap. I'll give you a prime example Minnesota traded away the franchise thinking they were getting a good asset in Al Jefferson for KG that's looked upon as a god awful trade. Minnesota got nothing from that trade. While the Celtics won a title they may as well have let KG walk. Lopez is worse than Al Jefferson. If the Magic did something like that the whole front office would need to be fired. It has nothing to do with being bitter it has everything to do with not giving away a Hall of famer for garbage.
Angry Jimmy
Analyst
And1: 444

Post#137 » by Angry Jimmy » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:30 pm

Rccanes2311 wrote:
Shaheen wrote:

I never said he was worthless but he's no better than Andres Bargiani. I wouldn't want either one of them. 20 ppg doesn't crap if that's all you do. Lopez sucks. Dwight is the best player in the NBA IMO. If all I'm getting back is Brook freaking Lopez some late round draft picks and you're absorbing Hedo's contract that's the worst trade in NBA history hands **** down. No one wins championships or rebuilds around soft centers who can't get a rebound in 30 freaking minutes. The Nets have absolutely noting the Magic want or need, and the Magic would be fools to trade with them. Once again the Magic would be better off letting him walk. Either way the fans won't show up for a while so that big new arena is going to be quite empty.

Once if again if Lopez was worth anything the Nets wouldn't be dogcrap. I'll give you a prime example Minnesota traded away the franchise thinking they were getting a good asset in Al Jefferson for KG that's looked upon as a god awful trade. Minnesota got nothing from that trade. While the Celtics won a title they may as well have let KG walk. Lopez is worse than Al Jefferson. If the Magic did something like that the whole front office would need to be fired. It has nothing to do with being bitter it has everything to do with not giving away a Hall of famer for garbage.

+1

If the Magic are just gonna give Howard away for nothing, why not trade him straight up to LA or Chicago for Bynum or Noah, both young centers, both way more valuable than Lopez.

Lopez is an inefficient scorer for a big man, add that to the fact that he's allergic to defense and rebounding, I would think the Magic could do much better.
WeAreVenom
Head Coach

Post#138 » by WeAreVenom » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:02 pm

Shaheen wrote:

When your arguments fail, you turn towards personal attacks? This entire debate I've never attacked your credibility or intelligence despite strongly disagreeing with everything you said.

Now read this

Carmelo, did not know where he was going and thought he was headed to NJ RIGHT BEFORE THE TRADE!!!!

Meaning that he didn't know the **** what was going on and didn't have control over the situation. Denver just liked NY's package better.

Yes, he thought he was heading to NJ, but lo and behold! He's a Knick!
You know why? Because NJ didn't pull the trigger on the trade, because he wouldn't agree to an extension to anywhere but them!

Do you remember the package the Nets put together for him? It was ridiculously great, a lot of people thought they would be over-paying for him, including a lot of Nets fans.
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#139 » by DarkXaero » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:06 pm

zORi wrote:
Shaheen wrote:

Now read this

Yes, he thought he was heading to NJ, but lo and behold! He's a Knick!
You know why? Because NJ didn't pull the trigger on the trade, because he wouldn't agree to an extension to anywhere but them!

Do you remember the package the Nets put together for him? It was ridiculously great, a lot of people thought they would be over-paying for him, including a lot of Nets fans.
And the Knicks package wasn't ridiculously great? Knicks fans were happy with what they were giving up? There was even a report that said that George Karl preferred the Knicks deal, because it wouldn't have made them a rebuilding team.
darth_federer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 922

Post#140 » by darth_federer » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:11 pm

I see Magic fans using the same arguments that Cavs and Raptors fans used. Yes I know that Orlando is a better team but you guys have no leverage.

Most of us scoffed at the idea of Miami being a destination for Bosh because we didnt want Beasley. That was basically Miami's best asset. We said that we would rather let Bosh walk for nothing than trade him for Beasley. We were looking at teams like Houston that had much better packages. If Dwight wants to go to the Nets, then he will go there. If Orlando doesnt want to acquiesce then it will lose him for nothing. So it would rather get something/anything. We used the extra 30 million card too and thought that it would give us leverage. At the end of the day, Dwight Howard will go where he wants to go.

Profanity wrote:This is why I question a Canadian team in our league. it's a govt conspiracy trina to sell all our milk to Russia. They let the raptors participate to not let canadians demand crossing taxes. it will backfire one day.

Return to The General Board