Is Stacey King the biggest homer in the NBA?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Bucksfans1and2
Banned User
And1: 189

Re: Is Stacey King the biggest homer in the NBA? 

Post#61 » by Bucksfans1and2 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:14 am

Googjob wrote:His audience is Chicago. People in Chicago enjoy him. I don't get what else needs to be said. If he was doing games on ESPN or TNT, I'd understand it. He's not though. He's broadcasting to Bulls fans and color guys typically cater toward the home team during telecasts.

The conquering hero returns
three oh five
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#62 » by three oh five » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:04 am

i've never heard the bulls guy but as a heat fan i say eric reid sounds a bit ridiculous when he says "alonzo is one the most beautiful people" whenever he talks about him.
organix85
General Manager
And1: 331

Post#63 » by organix85 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:15 am

Poohdini wrote:Tommy with Stacy challenging for his crown..

Stacy is a huge homer, but it is what it is.. It must suck having to listen to him if your not a fan of the Bulls, because he constantly craps on the opposing teams players, unless they are All-Star players.

That is not entirely true. For example, if we play the Pacers, I promise you that he will rave on and on about McRoberts and how athletic he is and how you have to get a body on him.

EDIT: It has been said a lot already, but... Yea, he's a homer. I could understand any opposing fans hating his guts. He is way better than Funk though. King is usually the one of the two that will actually have good things to say about the other team.
TyrusRose2425 wrote:Imagine how much more athletic Noah would be if he didn't have his big ass ball sack dragging him down
GloriaJames
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#64 » by GloriaJames » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:09 am

stacey has a lot of nice things to say about players on other teams actually. he also has some not so nice things to say. neil funk on the other hand is far more critical and is kind of a prick.
Game Show
Pro Prospect
And1: 24

Post#65 » by Game Show » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:35 am

Mike Rice and Sean Elliot are just as big but more annoying IMO, they don't have the humor that Stacey does. Tommy Heinson is in a league of his own, but his biased rantings can be hilarious
Antetokounmpo
Veteran
And1: 1,051

Post#66 » by Antetokounmpo » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:36 am

He's pretty funny imo. At first he wasn't, now I find him somewhat amusing or so.
Nate505
RealGM
And1: 11,715

Post#67 » by Nate505 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:19 am

I'm sure Scott Hastings can give King a run for his money.
blumeany
RealGM
And1: 2,551

Post#68 » by blumeany » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:37 am

Homerism is much worse when a team is losing. The Bulls' last color guy, Tom Dore, was horrendous to listen to in the post-Jordan era. Constantly making excuses for the team, calling out refs, etc. etc. It was really annoying to listen to. Stacey is in that Johnny 'Red' Kerr mold (with less X's and O's smarts, but the same entertaining overreactions to plays). At first I found him annoying, but he's kind of grown on me. I can definitely see how fans of other teams would find him annoying though.
2024: Maybe there's some hope?
Vince Strong
Rookie
And1: 42

Post#69 » by Vince Strong » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:08 pm

its fine if you're a Bulls fan, annoying otherwise.

probably the same all over the NBA with local color guys. Sure he's a bit over the top, but it gets you excited if you are a fan of the Bulls.
Googjob
Sixth Man
And1: 361

Post#70 » by Googjob » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:17 pm

It's worth noting that Reinsdorf likes his homer announcers. If you're not a White Sox fan and have heard Hawk Harrelson, you know what I mean.

I guess the one thing I like about Stacey is that everything is sort of tongue in cheek. He's not real serious with that stuff and just seems to be having a good time with fans. He can be a good impartial analyst when he needs to be. But it's just basketball guys, don't take it too serious. We all are trying to have fun.
Jeff23
Lead Assistant
And1: 245

Post#71 » by Jeff23 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:57 pm

Stacey King is horrible and makes me root for the other team sometimes... BUT, the Hornets have straight up the worst announcers i have ever heard.
InFlames
RealGM
And1: 3,176

Post#72 » by InFlames » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:06 pm

Stacey King is awful, but only slightly worse than the San Antonio announcers.
pross
Veteran
And1: 174

Post#73 » by pross » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:09 pm

I'm a Boston fan and I've HATED Tommy for years but Stacey and Sean Elliot are slowly catching him.
6_Rings
RealGM
And1: 2,891

Post#74 » by 6_Rings » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:12 pm

King is awesome. it's like listening to a realgm game thread when he color commentates. and also, he's our boy. kinda normal for losers to hate him after a telecast.
El Turco wrote:Nothing wrong with men shaking their ass while other men in tights jump on top of each other.
truthiness
Banned User
And1: 140

Post#75 » by truthiness » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:13 pm

KF10 wrote:He gets annoying at first but you get used to him. More than anything, he is funny as hell.

making fun of (Please Use More Appropriate Word) people is not a nice thing to do.

also, he's not the biggest homer.

this guy is:

and he's so annoying i'd punch him in his stupid face.
truthiness
Banned User
And1: 140

Post#76 » by truthiness » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:19 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:
blumeany wrote:
ChiCitySPORTS#1 wrote:Thats who he is, and thats why he is popular. Its like Craig Sager dressing like an idiot...its what he does.

This. Every color commentator for every team is a homer. Otherwise, he's not a very good HOME TEAM color commentator. :D

That's not true. Off the top of my head, Stu Lantz and Clyde Frazier are very fair. Both are pretty solid, too.

Eric Reid and Tony Fiorentino are also very very objective. They'll call it when Miami gets away with a call they didn't deserve and they'll quickly admit when they make mistakes.

Heinsohn on the other hand can see a million replays that clearly show he was wrong. He'll never admit it. At most, he keeps quiet for a minute or two - probably enough for his fans to forget that he made a huge error.
Tim_Hardawayy
RealGM
And1: 8,089

Post#77 » by Tim_Hardawayy » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:29 pm

Tony Fiorentino isn't that bad but he is a homer. But not like a Stacey King... Stacey reminds me of Austin Carr (not quite as stupid sounding though).

Heinsohn is worse though because at least King and Carr don't rant and rave whenever a foul is called on their team. And they don't disparage the opponent that much, just rave over their star player (whether it be LeBron or Rose). Its no big deal, its a home team telecast and to be expected at times.
demcanes26
Pro Prospect
And1: 143

Post#78 » by demcanes26 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:50 pm

^^^ I actually think the Heat commentators are very objective. I also think the Knicks, Pacers, Magic, Mavs, and Hawks have very objective commentators. What I do find funny is fans saying that need their home town announcers to be bias. For what? You rather that cat lie to you, instead of telling you the truth? There are only about three or four teams who can win a title, but if you listen to the Blazers & Hornets commentators, you would think that the refs are the only thing holding them back. It's laughable.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#79 » by ManualRam » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:38 pm

at least stacey tries to do wit humor as opposed to being mean-spirited and cranky like heinsohn.

i take it not many of you hang out at barber shops. thats who stacey reminds me of. the dudes who hang around barber shops and crack jokes all day.
hes not that funny and he is annoying, but he does have some lines.
JasonDaPsycho
Starter
And1: 9

Post#80 » by JasonDaPsycho » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:47 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNOig4NePS4[/youtube]
And also
http://www.nba.com/bulls/stacey-king-soundboard.html
Phoenix Suns
San Francisco 49ers
UCLA Bruins

Return to The General Board