Who should make the 2011 All-Defensive 1st team?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Pimpwerx
Banned User
And1: 78

Re: Who should make the 2011 All-Defensive 1st team? 

Post#141 » by Pimpwerx » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:09 pm

Who the hell does Kobe guard? He coasts along guarding scrubs and then looks utterly pedestrian guarding Wade when it mattered.

Wade has shot poorly against a lot of guards not names Kobe. That FG% isn't Kobe's doing, it's Wade's shot just being garbage. He's better in the paint this season. When it mattered, Wade shutdown Kobe. When it mattered, Kobe got owned by Wade like he was standing still. I don't think Kobe should be in discussion for 1st team defense.

Neither 1st team all-NBA nor 1st team all-defense. PEACE.
Harry_Seaward
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#142 » by Harry_Seaward » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:09 pm

That Nicka wrote:lol people hating on Kobe because he's made All-D based on reputation in the past, but this year he has actually played good D and probably deserves a spot more than any year in recent history since maybe 2004...

actually in 07/08 he played good D too iirc

Where are you watching these lock down Kobe Bryant defensive games?
Marvel
RealGM
And1: 14,275

Post#143 » by Marvel » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:59 pm

Andrea Bargnani.

Oops my bad thought it was All Defensive Worst Team.
Prolific Scorer
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#144 » by Prolific Scorer » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:29 pm

SolidSnake008 wrote:
AdamTheGreek wrote:
Prolific Scorer wrote:Wade
Iguodala
Deng
Garnett
Howard

I tend to agree with this as the final result.

Thabo and Rondo have a big say over Wade though.

i would say Iggy is more of a 3 don't you think? If it's between him and Deng then Iggy for sure

He is a SF but he's played some SG throughout the years (and he's always been listed as a G/F). I wanted to make room for he and Deng and didn't wanna move KG either because he's been great again this year defensively.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#145 » by Blue_and_Whte » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:05 pm

asdfgh wrote:lol @Kobe, Wade, LeBron as all-defensive players.

Here's my team:

Tony Allen
Thabo Sefolosha
Andre Iguodala
Tim Duncan
Tyson Chandler

You laugh at Lebron and wade then leave out Dwight Howard for Tyson Chandler...

BAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA...BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHA..Smokin that shiat
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
Dat Pass
Assistant Coach
And1: 46

Post#146 » by Dat Pass » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:22 pm

Pimpwerx wrote:Wade has shot poorly against a lot of guards not names Kobe.

Actually Wade has shot under 40% in 14 games this season, INCLUDING BOTH games agaisnt the Lakers.. Kobe held Wade to 35% in one game and 39% in the other.

Pimpwerx wrote:That FG% isn't Kobe's doing, it's Wade's shot just being garbage.

Oohhh ok. It had nothing to do with Kobe's D? I get it.. :roll:

Pimpwerx wrote:When it mattered, Wade shutdown Kobe.

You realize that Kobe's offense getting shutdown has literally NOTHING to do with his selection in the All-Defensive 1st Team right?

PEACE
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,076

Post#147 » by sisibilio » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:45 pm

Duncan? have we gone back to 2007 and nobody told me?
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
PippenAintEasy
Assistant Coach
And1: 6

Post#148 » by PippenAintEasy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:33 am

Guards -

Chris Paul - because of the gaudy steal numbers. I'm ok with it.
Wade - a superstar on a top defensive team with somewhat gaudy steal and block numbers.

Honorable mention: Rondo (been injured), Kobe (rep)

Forwards-

Lebron - a superstar on a top defensive team with somewhat gaudy steal and block numbers. He seriously might win DPOY because Dwight got the last 2 and they like to switch things up. Does he deserve it? God no.

Garnett - He made the ASG because of his defense and leadership. LOCK.

Honorable mention- Dengo and Iggy, they should be the top team but they don't put up the gaudy numbers or chasedown blox.

Center -

Howard - LOCK

HM: Tyson Chandler - just an absolute beast.
From the "Story behind certain jersey numbers" thread...
C'mon Cavs wrote:Larry Hughes wears #32 because he sucks.
PippenAintEasy
Assistant Coach
And1: 6

Post#149 » by PippenAintEasy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:39 am

Also, you're high if you don't think Lebron will get All-Defensive 1st team. Josh Smith had more DPOY votes than him last year and still didn't make the 1st team. That's his spot for the next 11 years.
From the "Story behind certain jersey numbers" thread...
C'mon Cavs wrote:Larry Hughes wears #32 because he sucks.
SolidSnake008
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#150 » by SolidSnake008 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:39 am

PippenAintEasy wrote:Guards -

Chris Paul - because of the gaudy steal numbers. I'm ok with it.
Wade - a superstar on a top defensive team with somewhat gaudy steal and block numbers.

Honorable mention: Rondo (been injured), Kobe (rep)

Forwards-

Lebron - a superstar on a top defensive team with somewhat gaudy steal and block numbers. He seriously might win DPOY because Dwight got the last 2 and they like to switch things up. Does he deserve it? God no.

Garnett - He made the ASG because of his defense and leadership. LOCK.

Honorable mention- Dengo and Iggy, they should be the top team but they don't put up the gaudy numbers or chasedown blox.

Center -

Howard - LOCK

HM: Tyson Chandler - just an absolute beast.

Lebron is a good defender but imo there should be no reason he gets first team over Iggy....it's not about Stats which seems like what you based your list off of i've Watched Iggy straight up LOCK DOWN great players on almost a nightly basis...but i'm not condemning your list....it's a good list
J08
Banned User

Post#151 » by J08 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:49 am

Pimpwerx wrote:Who the hell does Kobe guard? He coasts along guarding scrubs and then looks utterly pedestrian guarding Wade when it mattered.

Wade has shot poorly against a lot of guards not names Kobe. That FG% isn't Kobe's doing, it's Wade's shot just being garbage. He's better in the paint this season. When it mattered, Wade shutdown Kobe. When it mattered, Kobe got owned by Wade like he was standing still. I don't think Kobe should be in discussion for 1st team defense.

Neither 1st team all-NBA nor 1st team all-defense. PEACE.

please wade needed a screen at the end of the game to get by him and you are basing everything of one game where wade shot 8-23 for 22 points. ooh wait wade is garbage like you claimed
MSGBallerz
Banned User

Post#152 » by MSGBallerz » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:54 am

Lets look at Wade's defense:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-3s90fR1ak[/youtube]
That Nicka
Banned User
And1: 34

Post#153 » by That Nicka » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:04 am

Harry_Seaward wrote:Where are you watching these lock down Kobe Bryant defensive games?

uhm TV... of course he isnt as good as he was from 00-04, but there are very few wing players better than him... Ask your boy DWade...

Iguodala is better, and Tony Allen (who probly wont make it unfortunately)... Battier has fallen off... Artest is still a beast but he didnt even make it last year so I dunno. Sefolasha's defense hasnt been as good as years passed, I'd say he and Kobe are on the same level... Wade and LeBron are both good of course... I havent seen much of Gerald Wallace this year

so you have Iguodala (probable lock), Artest, Kobe, Wade, LeBron (probable lock) and maybe Gerald Wallace for 2 SG and SF spots
ertrick
Ballboy

Post#154 » by ertrick » Fri Apr 1, 2011 2:58 am

An Unbiased Fan wrote:But that's the thing, what nights has he taken off? Kobe is a pretty hard worker, and I really don't see him working any less than other defenders. It would be one thing if guys were going off on him, but LA has the best SG defense in the NBA. Just look at LA's boxscores and you'll see that Kobe has defended his man great this year on a nightly basis.

LA has the best SG defense in the NBA , but Kobe never guards the opposing teams SG , except for small stretches in the end of the game.
Watch tonight's game vs Dallas, he is guarding Kidd or Stojakovic, which are usually the worst wing players on the Mavericks , and he actually got burned by both of them.
mid-post
Analyst
And1: 70

Post#155 » by mid-post » Fri Apr 1, 2011 3:01 am

Still think Tony Allen, albeit with limited minutes, should be on the list. Guy changes the game defensively the moment he steps on the floor this year.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#156 » by Feed Your Head » Fri Apr 1, 2011 3:27 am

mid-post wrote:Still think Tony Allen, albeit with limited minutes, should be on the list. Guy changes the game defensively the moment he steps on the floor this year.

I take what he says with a grain of salt, but Hollinger clearly agrees.

Cameron (Illinois)

Chances Tony Allen gets awarded to an all defensive team?

John Hollinger (2:04 PM)

In my mind he's a no-brainer for the first team, and would have challenged Howard for Defensive Player of the Year if Hollins had played him all year. I think he'll safely make second team at worst, but we've seen some weird all-defense votes the last couple years.
Kal El
Rookie

Post#157 » by Kal El » Fri Apr 1, 2011 5:59 am

my thoughts on tony allen: there is no doubt, he is one of the better defensive wings in the game. you can't argue that fact. he is a great man to man defender. but minutes does matter in my opinion. there is no doubt he is effective in his 20 minutes but that also means you only affect less than half of the game. i think he should play at the very least 27 min. a game to be considered in the 1st team.

my thoughts on kobe: and let me just say im far from a kobe hater. kobe has always been a good defender. he was never an elite defender like bruce bowen but he has always been a good defender. there were times like last year where he gambled for steals too much but he's far from a liability on the defensive end. with that said, he doesn't deserve to be in the 1st team defense. and yes he has and might get in with his name. it doesn't mean he's necessarily a bad pick but it just means its a superstar that can play good D that got in.

Who i would like to see in the 1st defensive team (*i put iggy at guard)

Thabo
Iggy
Deng
Garnett
Howard

2nd team

Allen
Wade/Kobe
Lebron
Chuck Hayes*
Bogut

* i had to show some love for chuck hayes. i actually have him out of position because he guards centers. 6'6 and he guards centers and all season he has been one of the best defenders in the nba. but since in reality he plays center bogut would probably beat him which wouldn't be a snub. but i think chuck not being in the defensive team would be a snub.
mcat79
Sophomore

Post#158 » by mcat79 » Sat Apr 2, 2011 3:33 pm

Defensive Player of Year award a hard case to crack
By John Schuhmann, NBA.com
Posted Mar 31 2011 11:50AM
In this NBA.com StatsCube study, StatsCube takes a look at candidates for the Defensive Player of the Year award.
Of all the awards the NBA hands out at the end of the season, Defensive Player of the Year is probably the hardest to quantify.

All-Defensive Team Picks
(On-court def. eff., On-off court differential)
First Team
G: Ronnie Brewer (92.6, -8.4), Tony Allen (100.2, -4.4)
F: Andre Iguodala (100.8, -4.4), Kevin Garnett (95.5, -4.9)
C: Dwight Howard (99.6, +0.3)
Second Team
G: Manu Ginobili (100.5, -5.3), Chris Paul (101.7, -0.1)
F: Tim Duncan (99.0, -7.6), LeBron James (100.0, -4.6)
C: Tyson Chandler (100.9, -3.2)
John Schuhmann is a staff writer for NBA.com. You can e-mail him here and follow him on twitter.
The views on this page do not necessarily reflect the views of the NBA, its clubs or Turner Broadcasting.

the experts know who the man is
9th Wonder
Assistant Coach
And1: 180

Post#159 » by 9th Wonder » Sat Apr 2, 2011 3:43 pm

Aren't Iggy's numbers slightly better (and he plays double the minutes)?
mcat79
Sophomore

Post#160 » by mcat79 » Sat Apr 2, 2011 3:47 pm

9th Wonder wrote:Aren't Iggy's numbers slightly better (and he plays double the minutes)?

is that an argument for Tony Allen?

Return to The General Board