ESPN writers vote on MVP and other awards

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Ern III
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Re: ESPN writers vote on MVP and other awards 

Post#81 » by Ern III » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:54 pm

mysticbb wrote:Well, you can make a case for Howard being the MVP (there isn't a center better them him and he is probably more important to his team than any other player (except maybe Nowitzki)). We can make a case for Phil Jackson being able to at least get the Lakers to play and we can say it would be a lifetime achievement (he won COY only once in his career, but 11 titles). There are better candidates than George Hill, but Hill is playing for the best team in the league, plays constantly from the bench and is providing something. Even Eric Gordon has clearly improved and if it weren't for his missed games he could very well be a candidate. BUT there is no case we can make for Keith Bogans being the DPOY, just NO CASE. Let Hollinger and Granderson have different opinions, let Arnovitz ignoring injuries and Bowen being a homer, but there is no excuse for picking Keith Bogans as the best defensive player for the 2010-11 season.

Forget the comparative strength of teammates and the stats, Howard's being an idiot precludes him from MVP talk. How is getting suspended repeatedly for moronic infractions example-setting? I wouldn't put him in charge of making the team's toast in the morning. Hollinger takes no account of personality in his fastidious numerical infatuations.

Phil Jackson has guided the league's defending champion, title favourites and arguably the most talented roster to the fourth-best - at best - record, and can't coax them out of their current malaise. Fair enough, neither could probably anyone, but the larger body of work should be judged. And by that I don't mean his career. This is COY for 2010-11. Granderson's kidding himself.

Bruce Bowen brought his impartiality in to serious question, and not just because Lamar Odom, as possibly the Lakers' second-best performer this season, is the near unanimous run-away winner of the Sixth Man award.

Eric Gordon has improved as a player but, and quite seperately, his numbers have improved because he's played more minutes and taken more shots. There's no way his is even remotely a good argument for most improved compared to the other players with votes, and some without. Sorry, Kevin.
AgEnT50
General Manager
And1: 188

Post#82 » by AgEnT50 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:59 pm

Dr Jack is trollin' hard lol
JNelson43
Analyst
And1: 76

Post#83 » by JNelson43 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:09 pm

Ern III wrote:
mysticbb wrote:Well, you can make a case for Howard being the MVP (there isn't a center better them him and he is probably more important to his team than any other player (except maybe Nowitzki)). We can make a case for Phil Jackson being able to at least get the Lakers to play and we can say it would be a lifetime achievement (he won COY only once in his career, but 11 titles). There are better candidates than George Hill, but Hill is playing for the best team in the league, plays constantly from the bench and is providing something. Even Eric Gordon has clearly improved and if it weren't for his missed games he could very well be a candidate. BUT there is no case we can make for Keith Bogans being the DPOY, just NO CASE. Let Hollinger and Granderson have different opinions, let Arnovitz ignoring injuries and Bowen being a homer, but there is no excuse for picking Keith Bogans as the best defensive player for the 2010-11 season.

Forget the comparative strength of teammates and the stats, Howard's being an idiot precludes him from MVP talk. How is getting suspended repeatedly for moronic infractions example-setting? I wouldn't put him in charge of making the team's toast in the morning. Hollinger takes no account of personality in his fastidious numerical infatuations.

He was suspended for two games for doing things other players do all the time. For people who are anti-Howard to begin with, I guess it does make it easy to "forget stats and the strength of his teammates". The idea that you should dismiss Howard based of those incidents with such a strong body of work and clear impact on his teammates on the floor is ridiculous. If you can throw away stats and ON THE FLOOR impact on your mediocre teammates for something so subjective, then go ahead and nominate a bench player who never sees time as MVP.
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#84 » by kingkirk » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:11 pm

D Wade got a vote? Manu aswell?

Pathetic really.

Hollinger with Arthur as the most improved? Over Love. You idiot.

Jon Barry is a idiot if he thinks Hill should be the DPOY.

The ultimate punk however is Ramsay again with Keith Bogans. Surely he has read the Bulls board and is doing this just for the giggles.
InFlames
RealGM
And1: 3,176

Post#85 » by InFlames » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:19 pm

Bearsfan1989 wrote:Bogans for DPOY LMAO that's absurd. I think Howard deserve that.... See Orlando fans I'm not some blind homer I'll admit before the season started I though Rose coming out and saying " why can't I be MVP" was crazy but he has proved me wrong.

I wonder what you magic fans will think once Howard leaves your team to go ring chasing ;)

Who peed in your cheerios this morning?
Scorpion King
Lead Assistant
And1: 666

Post#86 » by Scorpion King » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:25 pm

Big Shamrock wrote:lol whoever voted Manu for MVP should be tarred, feathered, fired, and have their journalism degree taken away

same guy also picked keith bogans for dpoy :lol:
Ern III
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#87 » by Ern III » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:41 pm

JNelson43 wrote:
Ern III wrote:

He was suspended for two games for doing things other players do all the time. For people who are anti-Howard to begin with, I guess it does make it easy to "forget stats and the strength of his teammates". The idea that you should dismiss Howard based of those incidents with such a strong body of work and clear impact on his teammates on the floor is ridiculous. If you can throw away stats and ON THE FLOOR impact on your mediocre teammates for something so subjective, then go ahead and nominate a bench player who never sees time as MVP.

You won't get an argument from me. Not because you're right, but because you can neither be objective nor rational.
WeAreVenom
Head Coach
And1: 325

Post#88 » by WeAreVenom » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:28 pm

Ern III wrote:
JNelson43 wrote:
Ern III wrote:

You won't get an argument from me. Not because you're right, but because you can neither be objective nor rational.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You say "Forget the comparative strength of teammates and the stats" in terms of MVP voting, and then turn around and tell someone else that they aren't objective or rational?
NYK 455
General Manager
And1: 161

Post#89 » by NYK 455 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:30 pm

ChristinaBosh1 wrote:
NYK 455 wrote:That Bogans pick for DPOY might be worse than the majority picking Rose for MVP.

Yeah Amare/Melo deserve it more.
:lol:
Have fun being out of the playoffs pretty soon. Maybe then you can watch Rose go all the way to the finals and criticize him every game on his way there. You'll have plenty of times after only having to watch 4 playoff games.

Well, if the Bulls do go to the Finals, Rose will play a big part, sure, but they'll be winning grind it out 60-80 point games because of their league leading defense and rebounding, which is the main reason they've been so good in the first place.

And you're assuming I'm a homer and I'm insulted, but really, I think Melo and Amar'e have both been overrated, and I realize we're probably getting smashed in 4 by Boston, so you're not hurting my feelings brah.
HeyJoe
Starter
And1: 12

Post#90 » by HeyJoe » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:34 pm

did i see manu in there? lol

is this who they think will win or who they think should win?

edit:

oh wow, fire jack ramsy

he picked bogans for DPOY
klvanzu
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#91 » by klvanzu » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:34 pm

To the Bulls and Rose's credit, their offense is rated 12th in the league for efficiency, and that includes Boozer sitting out 20-some games.
King Geedorah
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#92 » by King Geedorah » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:36 pm

lol @ all the posts by kids who don't know who Dr Jack is. He's old-man crazy wrong, but show some respect for legends.

He used to be my favorite announcer back in the day and has (had?) not only a brilliant basketball mind, but the ability to explain concepts to the viewers in a way that made all of his watchers a little smarter.
MaliBrah
RealGM
And1: 4,326

Post#93 » by MaliBrah » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:41 pm

i burst out laughing when i seen keith bogans on the DPOY list ahahahahaha , pretty funny
big_ticket
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#94 » by big_ticket » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:00 am

that's why kg gets screwed up in 2002-2003 season and giving the mvp to duncan,..

i really hate espn people.just give it to TNT,.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,263

Post#95 » by kodo » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:25 am

Big Shamrock wrote:lol whoever voted Manu for MVP should be tarred, feathered, fired, and have their journalism degree taken away

Dr Jack didn't get to ESPN from a degree, he got there by being in the Hall of Fame and that doesn't go away.

The Bogans pick is crazy, though. Even if he felt he had to vote for a Bull because they're the #1 defensive team, Bogans is not the best defender on the team. That would probably go to Ronnie Brewer or Lu Deng.
Mourning_Would
Lead Assistant
And1: 527

Post#96 » by Mourning_Would » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:34 am

Ern III wrote:The following ESPN employees have brought their credibility or impartiality in to serious question:

John Hollinger: Dwight Howard, Most Valuable Player
Dr. Jack Ramsay: Keith Bogans, Defensive Player of the Year
LZ Granderson: Phil Jackson, Coach of the Year
Bruce Bowen: George Hill, Sixth Man of the Year
Kevin Arnovitz: Eric Gordon, Most Improved Player

Rose fans need to stop.

Dwights averaging 24 and 14 with 2.4 blocks on 61% shooting and anchors a good defense with terrible perimeter d. Saying he doesnt even deserve mention is ridiculous
Else_where wrote:Wtf is Rose doing in that team huddle?
ADoaN17
Lead Assistant
And1: 312

Post#97 » by ADoaN17 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:22 am

l3ulls3y3 wrote:Not a SINGLE vote for Kris Humphries for MIP.

I know he's not gonna win it, but 0 respect. Guy has been great all year..

He has been great but he inst the most IMPROVED player. A lot of guys have done great all year....
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,466

Post#98 » by Blame Rasho » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:37 am

Dr Jack is senile.... must have confused Manu for the 6th man of the year, but forgot that he starts nowadays...
halfHAVOC
Assistant Coach
And1: 176

Post#99 » by halfHAVOC » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:40 am

lol @ the ginobili
Stream My New Basketball Anthem "KING": https://ampl.ink/7QwkY
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#100 » by kingkirk » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:55 am

NYK 455 wrote:
ChristinaBosh1 wrote:
NYK 455 wrote:That Bogans pick for DPOY might be worse than the majority picking Rose for MVP.

Yeah Amare/Melo deserve it more.
:lol:
Have fun being out of the playoffs pretty soon. Maybe then you can watch Rose go all the way to the finals and criticize him every game on his way there. You'll have plenty of times after only having to watch 4 playoff games.

Well, if the Bulls do go to the Finals, Rose will play a big part, sure, but they'll be winning grind it out 60-80 point games because of their league leading defense and rebounding, which is the main reason they've been so good in the first place.

And you're assuming I'm a homer and I'm insulted, but really, I think Melo and Amar'e have both been overrated, and I realize we're probably getting smashed in 4 by Boston, so you're not hurting my feelings brah.

60-80 point games?

How many teams have scored 60 somethnig points this season.

So misguided.

Return to The General Board