LeBron's Greatest Weakness, Wade in the Clutch, and Talent

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

LakerLegend
RealGM
And1: 6,915

LeBron's Greatest Weakness, Wade in the Clutch, and Talent 

Post#1 » by LakerLegend » Thu May 5, 2011 3:08 am

I've thought about this, and something that everyone seems to overlook when talking about talent and impact on the game is LeBron's greatest weakeness IMO:

The ability to take one or two quick dribbles with a defender on you and pull up for a jumper.
Whether you are starting from the top of the 3 point line and dribbling in. Or posting up from 20 feet out and doing a quick spin, dribble and pull-up.

It's not necessarily just about mentality(though passing up 3's and passing to guys like House certainly speaks volumes) but a lack of skill.

In crunchtime, you HAVE to have this weapon, because the D will close off the paint in most instances and force you into a tough contested mid-range jumper or a 3. Wade, while not great at it, is much better than LeBron at it.

Now, LeBron when he's hot can do it to an extent like a lot of perimeter players. Sure,when he's having a good shooting game he can hit an open mid range jumper when he has time to get to his spot and set up, but not with heavy pressure. However, I feel the lack of this weapon holds him back. It puts MUCH more pressure on the D not just in crunch situations but also throughout a game rather than a guy who can either drive or shoot a 3.

I mean, LeBron has never beaten a team with a great defensive big man(lost to Duncan, Ben Wallace, Garnett twice, Howard).

Now, this could be due to a lack of practice. However, I feel agility and body control have played a part in it. LeBron could NEVER be near as proficient at it as guys like Jordan or Kobe, which is I why I think the idea of talent needs to be qualified.
Wavy Q
RealGM
And1: 2,390

Re: LeBron's Greatest Weakness, Wade in the Clutch, and Talent 

Post#2 » by Wavy Q » Thu May 5, 2011 3:09 am

This is new information
Cigamodnalro
RealGM
And1: 66

Post#3 » by Cigamodnalro » Thu May 5, 2011 3:10 am

Total slight of Marreese Speights
https://twitter.com/cigamodnalro
“A house pulled down is half rebuilt” - Ancient Proverb
"There's beauty in the breakdown" - Frou Frou
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees" - Jason Kidd
SweetTouch
RealGM
And1: 2,956

Post#4 » by SweetTouch » Thu May 5, 2011 3:10 am

lakers are playing the mavs

not a true fan smh
Stop being so disrespectful.
Stunnaboy2K11
Banned User
And1: 33

Post#5 » by Stunnaboy2K11 » Thu May 5, 2011 3:11 am

Lakerfan17 wrote:I've thought about this, and something that everyone seems to overlook when talking about talent and impact on the game is LeBron's greatest weakeness IMO:

The ability to take one or two quick dribbles with a defender on you and pull up for a jumper.
Whether you are starting from the top of the 3 point line and dribbling in. Or posting up from 20 feet out and doing a quick spin, dribble and pull-up.

It's not necessarily just about mentality(though passing up 3's and passing to guys like House certainly speaks volumes) but a lack of skill.

In crunchtime, you HAVE to have this weapon, because the D will close off the paint in most instances and force you into a tough contested mid-range jumper or a 3. Wade, while not great at it, is much better than LeBron at it.

Now, LeBron when he's hot can do it to an extent like a lot of perimeter players. Sure,when he's having a good shooting game he can hit an open mid range jumper when he has time to get to his spot and set up, but not with heavy pressure. However, I feel the lack of this weapon holds him back. It puts MUCH more pressure on the D not just in crunch situations but also throughout a game rather than a guy who can either drive or shoot a 3.

I mean, LeBron has never beaten a team with a great defensive big man(lost to Duncan, Ben Wallace, Garnett twice, Howard).

Now, this could be due to a lack of practice. However, I feel agility and body control have played a part in it. LeBron could NEVER be near as proficient at it as guys like Jordan or Kobe, which is I why I think the idea of talent needs to be qualified.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1Px-jPm_TU[/youtube]
Cigamodnalro
RealGM
And1: 66

Post#6 » by Cigamodnalro » Thu May 5, 2011 3:13 am

SweetTouch wrote:lakers are playing the mavs

not a true fan smh

https://twitter.com/cigamodnalro
“A house pulled down is half rebuilt” - Ancient Proverb
"There's beauty in the breakdown" - Frou Frou
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees" - Jason Kidd
LakerLegend
RealGM

Post#7 » by LakerLegend » Thu May 5, 2011 3:13 am

Like I said, he like anyone can get hot. I also dont see Ben Wallace in that clip...
secund2nun
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#8 » by secund2nun » Thu May 5, 2011 3:14 am

Your man Kobe could not even get past the first round in his prime in the 3 seasons after Shaq and before Gasol. Nuff said. He could not even get past the Suns without Amare for the entire series in one of those 1st round losses.

Lebron accomplished more than any other player in NBA history on a 1 man team.

And Lebron pushing Boston to 7 in 2008, BEATING Ben Wallace and the Pistons in 2007 was quite a accomplishment since he had such a weak supporting cast.
LakerLegend
RealGM

Post#9 » by LakerLegend » Thu May 5, 2011 3:15 am

Funny how everyone mocks LeBron's supporting cast, but how many players(McGrady, Iverson, Carter etc. would have loved to have that kind of talent to play with?
Volcano
RealGM
And1: 7,780

Post#10 » by Volcano » Thu May 5, 2011 3:17 am

All this does is generate more hate for Kobe. You guys with a one-track agenda seriously need to shut up.
Stunnaboy2K11
Banned User

Post#11 » by Stunnaboy2K11 » Thu May 5, 2011 3:17 am

Lakerfan17 wrote:Funny how everyone mocks LeBron's supporting cast, but how many players(McGrady, Iverson, Carter etc. would have loved to have that kind of talent to play with?

Name the best 5 players LeBron ever played with pre-Heat

I'll spot you Mo Williams
LakerLegend
RealGM

Post#12 » by LakerLegend » Thu May 5, 2011 3:20 am

Stunnaboy2K11 wrote:
Lakerfan17 wrote:Funny how everyone mocks LeBron's supporting cast, but how many players(McGrady, Iverson, Carter etc. would have loved to have that kind of talent to play with?

Name me one perimeter superstar between 2000-2010 besides Kobe, Pierce, and Wade who had a roster as talented as LeBron's last year.
Bucksfans1and2
Banned User
And1: 189

Post#13 » by Bucksfans1and2 » Thu May 5, 2011 3:23 am

Stunnaboy2K11 wrote:

Varejao, Illgauskus, Shaq, Jamison.

Yeah those teams sucked without Lebron.
Stunnaboy2K11
Banned User

Post#14 » by Stunnaboy2K11 » Thu May 5, 2011 3:26 am

Lakerfan17 wrote:
Stunnaboy2K11 wrote:

Name me one perimeter superstar between 2000-2010 besides Kobe and Wade who had a roster as talented as LeBron's last year.

Pierce (Big 3)
Ginobili/Parker
Joe Johnson
Steve Nash
Ray Allen (Bucks with Robinson and Cassel)
Kidd/Carter
D-Will
Chris Paul
Melo
Brandon Roy
Billups
Arenas (with Butler/Jamison)
Durant

Want more?
LakerLegend
RealGM

Post#15 » by LakerLegend » Thu May 5, 2011 3:35 am

Stunnaboy2K11 wrote:Pierce (Big 3)
Ginobili/Parker
Joe Johnson
Steve Nash
Kidd/Carter
D-Will
Chris Paul
Melo
Brandon Roy
Billups
Durant

Want more?

I already conceded Pierce. Guys like Parker, Billups, Roy, Johnson, Ginobilli are not perimter superstars. Carter and Kidd when they WERE superstars never played with that kind of talent. Allen, Arenas, Paul, and Durant did not have the top to bottom talent(specifically size and rebounding, and in Durant's case experience) that LeBron's teams did. You can make an argument for Nash and Melo, but they lost to the eventual champs in most cases.
Stunnaboy2K11
Banned User

Post#16 » by Stunnaboy2K11 » Thu May 5, 2011 3:50 am

Lakerfan17 wrote:
Ginobili/Parker
Joe Johnson
Steve Nash
Kidd/Carter
D-Will
Chris Paul
Melo
Brandon Roy
Billups
Durant

Want more?

I already conceded Pierce. Guys like Parker, Billups, Roy, Johnson, Ginobilli are not perimter superstars. Carter and Kidd when they WERE superstars never played with that kind of talent. Allen, Arenas, Paul, and Durant did not have the top to bottom talent(specifically size and rebounding, and in Durant's case experience) that LeBron's teams did. You can make an argument for Nash and Melo, but they lost to the eventual champs in most cases.

So Hickson,Big Z, washed up Shaq and a washed up Jamison > Prime Jamison, Butler and Haywood? Or West/Chandler. Riiiiiight
LakerLegend
RealGM

Post#17 » by LakerLegend » Thu May 5, 2011 3:55 am

Jamison was a 20/10 player that year before getting traded. Varaejo averaged near a double-double.Mo was a 17/6 player in Milwaukee. Shaq was 18/8 a year before in Phoenix.

Add in the depth and defensive coaching of Brown, but West/Chandler makeup for that? Not at all.
RamonSessions7
RealGM
And1: 4,026

Post#18 » by RamonSessions7 » Thu May 5, 2011 3:55 am

Yay a anti-LeBron thread!
Vides990
Starter
And1: 972

Post#19 » by Vides990 » Thu May 5, 2011 3:59 am

Lakerfan17 wrote:
Ginobili/Parker
Joe Johnson
Steve Nash
Kidd/Carter
D-Will
Chris Paul
Melo
Brandon Roy
Billups
Durant

Want more?

You know Carter and Kidd played together on the same team, right?
Preemptively joining the Bucks and Twolves bandwagons.
LakerLegend
RealGM

Post#20 » by LakerLegend » Thu May 5, 2011 4:01 am

Doesn't change my statement. I'm talking about top to bottom COMPLETE roster talent. Not just scoring or shooting, but also defense, rebounding, size, passing etc.

Return to The General Board