will noah get fined by the nba for using a gay slur?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,411

Re: will noah get fined by the nba for using a gay slur? 

Post#61 » by Raps in 4 » Mon May 23, 2011 5:51 am

eDemar wrote:i dont see why gay people find this word so offensive, its not like its directed at them

so insecure l

They don't. No one does, except the PC police and lobby groups looking to make a quick buck.
Yab
Sophomore
And1: 3

Post#62 » by Yab » Mon May 23, 2011 5:54 am

Shaheen wrote:
eDemar wrote:i dont see why gay people find this word so offensive, its not like its directed at them

so insecure l

So if someone said a slur directed at the race you are, you'd be fine with it?

As long as they said, oh it wasn't directed at you.

Yes

Heat3 wrote:because using someone's race, sexual orientation, religion, gender (or pretty much anything people are born with/cant control) as an insult is viewed as intolerant and it doesn't really have a place in civilized society.

Its also bad for business!

In your opinion. I think crucifying people for saying words that have no bigoted or derogative meaning in context leads to a much less intelligent and civilized society
c2asante
Sophomore
And1: 5

Post#63 » by c2asante » Mon May 23, 2011 5:54 am

bullsnewdynasty wrote:Most people don't get heckled at their workplace without being allowed to respond in any way.

Clearly you do not work in a professional setting
FullCapacity
Junior
And1: 0

Post#64 » by FullCapacity » Mon May 23, 2011 6:46 am

nm
mopper8
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,868

Post#65 » by mopper8 » Mon May 23, 2011 6:49 am

UssjTrunks wrote:

so insecure l

They don't. No one does, except the PC police and lobby groups looking to make a quick buck.

You speak for the gay community? Lol.

What "lobby groups" are making money off this? You don't make sense.
DragicTime85 wrote:[Ric Bucher] has a tiny wiener and I can prove it.
Dr Pepper
Assistant Coach
And1: 339

Post#66 » by Dr Pepper » Mon May 23, 2011 6:51 am

Worthy of a fine and even Noah would admit that was a dumb move to make especially for a professional.
Kobe vs MJ "Clone Wars" NBA.com video:

Frosty wrote:Funny this is called Clone Wars because Kobe is like the second installment of the Star Wars series. It looked like Star Wars but came up short. But it did appeal to the kiddies.
MetalFingaz
Starter
And1: 2,800

Post#67 » by MetalFingaz » Mon May 23, 2011 6:53 am

Yab wrote:
Heat3 wrote:because using someone's race, sexual orientation, religion, gender (or pretty much anything people are born with/cant control) as an insult is viewed as intolerant and it doesn't really have a place in civilized society.

Its also bad for business!

In your opinion. I think crucifying people for saying words that have no bigoted or derogative meaning in context leads to a much less intelligent and civilized society

Ain't no context in which an angry straight man yelling out a homophobic slur isn't derogatory. If you think that the ability to disparage minority groups is indicative of an intelligent and civilized society, you are stupid, plain and simple. Fans like you do a disservice to the NBA. BTW, gay people do watch the NBA and gay people often do get offended when slurs directly referencing their sexual orientation in a negative way are used.
It's time for 5 refs.
ShelB
Banned User

Post#68 » by ShelB » Mon May 23, 2011 6:55 am

UssjTrunks wrote:

so insecure l

The thing is, the word "****" has resulted in people being murdered and people committing suicide. It's offensive because it's used by homophobes towards homosexuals so much that it became acceptable to use for anything "bad". 1/3 of ALL suicides are by LGBT people. ONE THIRD. I guarantee they were all called "****" at one point and most of them were called that MANY times. It's the same as the "N" word, except homosexuals generally don't call each other "****", so that makes it worse.

It's not acceptable by anyone.

That being said, Noah's mouth is hidden for a split second so who knows if he said, although he probably did.
SSUBluesman
Assistant Coach
And1: 782

Post#69 » by SSUBluesman » Mon May 23, 2011 7:05 am

bullsnewdynasty wrote:Most people don't get heckled at their workplace without being allowed to respond in any way.

Teachers (particularly middle/high school) teachers get heckled at their jobs and then get to go home and take the blame for a nation full of idiots producing pint-sized idiots.
Naz Reid.
Yab
Sophomore

Post#70 » by Yab » Mon May 23, 2011 7:06 am

MetalFingaz wrote:
Ain't no context in which an angry straight man yelling out a homophobic slur isn't derogatory. If you think that the ability to disparage minority groups is indicative of an intelligent and civilized society, you are stupid, plain and simple. Fans like you do a disservice to the NBA. BTW, gay people do watch the NBA and gay people often do get offended when slurs directly referencing their sexual orientation in a negative way are used.

The word's meaning was never created as a "homophobic slur" it evolved into one, just like it evolved into a different meaning. It has multiple uses and meanings across the world. You can't honestly believe that Noah called the fan that word because he was a homosexual, and wanted to make fun of him for being a homosexual, can you? The concept that everyone should be offended by everything just for the sake of it is more disservice to the NBA, in my opinion
mopper8
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#71 » by mopper8 » Mon May 23, 2011 7:07 am

You're being willfully obtuse here.
Yab
Sophomore

Post#72 » by Yab » Mon May 23, 2011 7:13 am

ShelB wrote:
UssjTrunks wrote:

so insecure l

The thing is, the word "****" has resulted in people being murdered and people committing suicide. It's offensive because it's used by homophobes towards homosexuals so much that it became acceptable to use for anything "bad". 1/3 of ALL suicides are by LGBT people. ONE THIRD. I guarantee they were all called "****" at one point and most of them were called that MANY times. It's the same as the "N" word, except homosexuals generally don't call each other "****", so that makes it worse.

That being said, Noah's mouth is hidden for a split second so who knows if he said, although he probably did.

I'm sure obese kids were all called "Fatties" and "Fatass" and have later committed suicide, are we going outlaw those words too? What about the B-word, its degrading to all women because of its frequent use?

I guarantee most of the other 2/3 of suicide were called a disparaging name as well. It's a horrible situation, but you cannot ban every bullying remark about certain people. How about instead of teaching our kids to be offended and hurt, we teach them to take it in stride and don't worry about what other people say? I'm sure that would contribute much more to the situation. Even if you managed to get rid of one word, another will pop up, you cannot ban hatred.
SSUBluesman
Assistant Coach

Post#73 » by SSUBluesman » Mon May 23, 2011 7:16 am

Yab wrote:
MetalFingaz wrote:

The word's meaning was never created as a "homophobic slur" it evolved into one, just like it evolved into a different meaning. It has multiple uses and meanings across the world. You can't honestly believe that Noah called the fan that word because he was a homosexual, and wanted to make fun of him for being a homosexual, can you? The concept that everyone should be offended by everything just for the sake of it is more disservice to the NBA, in my opinion

I know, that's just silly, right? Its usage was clearly unrelated to homosexuality and far closer to the fan resembling that of a cigarette. That clearly makes far more sense.

I find it pathetic that there is always a legion of defenders of various offensive words (whom none of the words conveniently apply to) yet we're supposed to be disgusted should someone use the "f word" or the "s word".
Naz Reid.
Vertical Limit
RealGM
And1: 5,386

Post#74 » by Vertical Limit » Mon May 23, 2011 7:32 am

DaRooster8 wrote:In fairness to Noah the fan was wearing a Bosh jersey

Why don't people like this get warned? Why is it that if people make comments about Rose they get warned and even banned but this is allowed?
hebrewhammer
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#75 » by hebrewhammer » Mon May 23, 2011 7:33 am

ShelB wrote:
UssjTrunks wrote:

so insecure l

That's what the political action committee sells you so you donate more to their cause and feel better about their campaign.

Most of what crap you write fails the logic test.

First of all, you're talking about two different contexts. Noah wasn't actually calling the fan gay, nor slurring his sexuality. When you mention suicides you're talking about are people who are harassed for actually being gay. In this particular case with Noah what upset you isn't any causality of suicides but the fact that someone in America used a word in a way that you personally don't approve of and feel morally righteous to censor.

I know that militant types are the underbelly of society and are generally less intelligent than average but do you actually think that the guy Noah insulted is going to kill himself or now thinks that he's being discriminated against?

Or is Noah just being an ****? Suicides have nothing to do with this. Why are you ranting about it.

Again, it speaks to a lack on intellect but what you fail to see is that it's one word two contexts. Yes he's using the word **** but he's not talking about the guy's sexuality. He's basically calling him a dick. A schlub. A scrub. Weak. Pussy. Lame. Stupid. Get the political action committee, someone just made bank because an NBA player used a bad word.

Generally speaking, there's very little cause to use any sort of derogatory language. No moral system in the world from Christianity to Confucianism, Buddhism etc teaches that it's constructive to use offensive language or generally be negative to your fellow man. But honestly the links you're making dont add up.

1/3 of teen suicides might be by gays. It might not be. Like any political groups the LGBT lobby lies about statistics. Back when I was in school, gays used to march chanting "1 in 4 ... maybe more" because they claimed at the time that 25% of society were gay (but unliberated). Now we know it's more like 5% (along the same numbers as other behavior like pedophilia, violent sex offenders etc).

I agree that it's distasteful to call people ****. I would never allow my kids or nieces/nephews to use that language. But it's also distasteful that people try to censor other ppl's speech when it's a basic pillar of our very way of life. It's also distasteful to take other ppl's mistakes and then try to run with it linking suicides, or discrimination or whatever pet cause you have.
mopper8
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#76 » by mopper8 » Mon May 23, 2011 7:39 am

Pedophilia and bestiality? Really?
SSUBluesman
Assistant Coach

Post#77 » by SSUBluesman » Mon May 23, 2011 7:46 am

hebrewhammer wrote:
That's what the political action committee sells you so you donate more to their cause and feel better about their campaign.

:lol:

It's as if you're completely unaware that the "Homosexual Agenda" is, in fact, a political tool used to increase funding/support.

I always find it funny how people believe themselves to be so keenly aware to the propaganda influences of others yet ignorant of the influences upon themselves.
Naz Reid.
SSUBluesman
Assistant Coach

Post#78 » by SSUBluesman » Mon May 23, 2011 7:50 am

mopper8 wrote:Pedophilia and bestiality? Really?

Don't forget necrophilia.
Naz Reid.
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 8,966

Post#79 » by GrandTheftRondo » Mon May 23, 2011 8:19 am

God I hate Noah.
schematics
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#80 » by schematics » Mon May 23, 2011 8:22 am

marcusthornton wrote:earlier in the game you can clearly see him talking to a fan saying'' phuck you phaggot''

will he get fined 100k like kobe did?

I wonder how much the fine is reduced if the league finds out that Noah is in fact Gay? :-?

Return to The General Board