Dirk Traveled

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Rockice_8
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: Dirk Traveled 

Post#61 » by Rockice_8 » Thu Jun 9, 2011 12:41 pm

Shocking an NBA player got away with a travel, next story.
kobyz
Rookie
And1: 270

Post#62 » by kobyz » Thu Jun 9, 2011 1:41 pm

i'm the first guy who will be disappointed with refs not call travel violation, but that is no travel!
BR0D1E86
RealGM
And1: 2,292

Post#63 » by BR0D1E86 » Thu Jun 9, 2011 2:10 pm

2 steps are legal, sir.

Now google "crab dribble."
kyphi
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,607

Post#64 » by kyphi » Thu Jun 9, 2011 2:14 pm

even if he didn't that time, refs can't catch everything. To blame refs is the easy way out, regardless.
RaisingArizona
RealGM
And1: 7,072

Post#65 » by RaisingArizona » Thu Jun 9, 2011 2:31 pm

That wasn't a travel and unless its blatantly obvious, traveling is not called in the NBA.
tedwilliams1999
Veteran
And1: 1,787

Post#66 » by tedwilliams1999 » Thu Jun 9, 2011 2:45 pm

doctorfunk wrote:
tedwilliams1999 wrote:I think that's a travel but it never gets called in the NBA for whatever reason.

When I take 3 steps like that it's obvious to everyone in the gym that it's a travel. But I'm really short. So maybe it's harder to spot that with taller players.

no it's not a travel even in Europe, it's a driving layup, basic play, they even teach in schools

so many guys on realgm don't know basketball rules, it's LeBron-game1 topic all over again / facepalm

terrible thread

Here's the rule from the rule book:

b. A player who receives the ball while he is progressing or upon completion of a dribble, may use a two-count rhythm in coming to a stop, passing or shooting the ball.

I counted three steps after Dirk got control of the ball. Obvious travel call if you ask me, but of course the NBA doesn't like following their own rules. Someone should fine Stern.

http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_10.html
doctorfunk
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#67 » by doctorfunk » Thu Jun 9, 2011 3:08 pm

assuming his right foot is his pivot foot; and that's what it looks like in this video it's not a travel

as you said you can take 2 steps, but first step when you dribble and gather the ball doesn't count, so dribble+gather and then you have 2 more steps. Every drive like this is three steps...(counting the dribble step) and it's perfectly legal.

b. A player who receives the ball while he is progressing or upon completion of a dribble, may use a two-count rhythm in coming to a stop, passing or shooting the ball.

that is true for jump stop and one-two(two ways to stop from a dribble), driving layup is an exception FOR DECADES NOW, and legal under FIBA rules

NBA calls travel so randomly Americans lost touch what is travelling and what is not lololol
grimballer
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#68 » by grimballer » Thu Jun 9, 2011 3:40 pm

tedwilliams1999 wrote:
doctorfunk wrote:
tedwilliams1999 wrote:I think that's a travel but it never gets called in the NBA for whatever reason.

When I take 3 steps like that it's obvious to everyone in the gym that it's a travel. But I'm really short. So maybe it's harder to spot that with taller players.

no it's not a travel even in Europe, it's a driving layup, basic play, they even teach in schools

so many guys on realgm don't know basketball rules, it's LeBron-game1 topic all over again / facepalm

terrible thread

Here's the rule from the rule book:

I counted three steps after Dirk got control of the ball. Obvious travel call if you ask me, but of course the NBA doesn't like following their own rules. Someone should fine Stern.

http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_10.html

notice in the rule it says:

two-count rhythm

so when a right handed player goes for a layup his "two step rhythm" is usually: right foot, left foot.

thats exactly what dirk did.

now he mightve grabbed the ball too early, however his dribble was still alive when he took the initial left step (before the two count rhythm).

another factor that determines if violation will be called is:

was defense at the unfair disadvantage?

u would have better understanding of this, if you actually play bball.

defenders time themselves based on the interpretation of rules.

so if offensive player goes for a layup, defensive player times his move based on the "two step rhythm").

if the offensive player takes 3 steps instead of 2, defensive player will be outta position everytime.

in this example haslem knew where dirk was going n knew dirk will shoot off his left leg.

so in this situation d was not at the unfair disadvantage.
duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,121

Post#69 » by duppyy » Thu Jun 9, 2011 4:21 pm

Looked like one to me but LeBron and Wade travel 90% of the time so this doesnt matter.
K1NG
General Manager
And1: 856

Post#70 » by K1NG » Thu Jun 9, 2011 4:57 pm

If LeBron did this for a game-winner, there'd be 10 threads about how he travelled. Fact.
Shkodran_Plako
Starter
And1: 395

Post#71 » by Shkodran_Plako » Thu Jun 9, 2011 6:40 pm

after further review

that, indeed, was a travel
MaliBrah
RealGM
And1: 4,310

Post#72 » by MaliBrah » Thu Jun 9, 2011 8:10 pm

on replay this is a blatant travel but its hard to catch in real time. no excuses tho
bronxknicksfan1
Starter
And1: 1,163

Post#73 » by bronxknicksfan1 » Thu Jun 9, 2011 8:54 pm

Dirk possibly travelled on a game winner and its a problem, but LeBron AND Wade travel the entire game and nothing? C'Mon, if you want them to call that on Dirk, you should also want consistency...
doctorfunk
Banned User

Post#74 » by doctorfunk » Thu Jun 9, 2011 9:10 pm

ANSWER PLZ;
so is this travel as well ???

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xuSgjyqcEw[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrjg8AcjSvo[/youtube]
peja_the_legend
Bench Warmer
And1: 859

Post#75 » by peja_the_legend » Thu Jun 9, 2011 9:43 pm

doctorfunk wrote:ANSWER PLZ;
so is this travel as well ???

yes..according to those who think that Dirk travelled those are deifinitely travels as well.That's what i wrote in another thread,if what Dirk did is a travel then 90% of lay ups and drives in the league are illegal.
Stopshere2
Head Coach
And1: 38

Post#76 » by Stopshere2 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:38 am

You are allowed "2 steps" but it is in a 2-count rhythm, ie, for a typical right-handed layup, you gather the ball off the dribble as your right foot is about to land on the floor. It's Count 1 when that foot lands. The following left foot leap is Count 2. It's that simple.

Dirk gathers the ball on his wrong foot for a right-handed layup and then takes 2 clean steps after he has the ball in both hands to get back in rhythm.

Not legal but I'm pleased it wasn't called :)
Luckily, for the revenue department of the government, speed doesn't kill.
doctorfunk
Banned User

Post#77 » by doctorfunk » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:56 am

Stopshere2 wrote:Image

You are allowed "2 steps" but it is in a 2-count rhythm, ie, for a typical right-handed layup, you gather the ball off the dribble as your right foot is about to land on the floor. It's Count 1 when that foot lands. The following left foot leap is Count 2. It's that simple.

Dirk gathers the ball on his wrong foot for a right-handed layup and then takes 2 clean steps after he has the ball in both hands to get back in rhythm.

typical right-handed layup starts with left foot DUHHHHHHHHHHHHH
L(dribble)-R-L no travel, good game
Stopshere2
Head Coach
And1: 38

Post#78 » by Stopshere2 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:58 am

doctorfunk wrote:

typical right-handed layup starts with left foot DERP
L-R-L no travel, good game

No point arguing with you.
Luckily, for the revenue department of the government, speed doesn't kill.
doctorfunk
Banned User

Post#79 » by doctorfunk » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:59 am

that's true, because you are wrong

if you will go to page 5 and see videos i posted, and plz tell me if it''s travel too
disoblige
Head Coach
And1: 767

Post#80 » by disoblige » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:55 am

Stopshere2 wrote:Image

Your 1st step is when dirk finished his dribble. It doesnt count. He was dribbling on that step.

Return to The General Board