rule clarification: jump-ball or travel on Blocked shot

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

shobe_81
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 0

rule clarification: jump-ball or travel on Blocked shot 

Post#1 » by shobe_81 » Thu Jun 9, 2011 5:40 am

Scenario:

Player A is shooting the ball
Player B is defending Player A

Player A jumps to shoot the ball, while he's in the air, Player B touches the ball with his fingertips. However it wasn't a full held ball from Player B, and by the time Player A lands, Player B had already taken his hand off the ball.

Through the entire play, Player A maintains possession and does NOT release the ball at any point from the time he jumps to the time he lands.

A travel is called

This play was very similar to the Lebron play in game 3 where he tries to shoot while getting a opponents hand on the ball, instead he comes down with it and nothing is called until he dribbled again.

Can someone explain the rule please. Is it supposed to be a jump-ball, a travel, or is it really a personal interpretation of the official?
Sucka
Rookie
And1: 10

Re: rule clarification: jump-ball or travel on Blocked shot 

Post#2 » by Sucka » Thu Jun 9, 2011 5:55 am

people argue about this one all the time in pick up bball ..... no clear rule defined. Some say it's a travel while some say it's a play on.

Personally i think it should be a play on since he was blocked then the player can come back down with the ball continue playing
In the words of Booker T:
Can You Dig it????
Suckaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wont PerDont
Sixth Man
And1: 352

Post#3 » by Wont PerDont » Thu Jun 9, 2011 6:00 am

Sounds like you are describing a blocked shot to me. Play on.
Freaky like my lady pyramid...

-Formerly: gineric 12

-P.J. Carlesimo on Denver Coach Brian Shaw (2/21/14): "He's paid his dues and he's ready for a head job..."
Volcano
RealGM
And1: 7,780

Post#4 » by Volcano » Thu Jun 9, 2011 6:04 am

it's a block, not a jump ball or travel imo
shobe_81
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 0

Post#5 » by shobe_81 » Thu Jun 9, 2011 6:09 am

But if a player was shooting a 3, and another defender fly's by and touches the ball.

Given the touch, the offensive player still air-borne instead decides to come down with the ball and dribbles to the basket.

Would that not be a travel? He had a chance to still shoot after the defender touched the ball.
OzThunder
Rookie
And1: 393

Post#6 » by OzThunder » Thu Jun 9, 2011 6:52 am

I know for sure that in FIBA rules if you leave the ground with the ball, and land with the ball (having never lost control of the ball) that is a travel. I think this is the same in the NBA. The only difference is in the NBA if the defending player is holding onto the ball when the offensive player lands they call a jump ball. In FIBA this is still a travel.
deepblueday
Bench Warmer
And1: 48

Post#7 » by deepblueday » Thu Jun 9, 2011 7:24 am

It's usually called a travel on pretty much every level. If a player leaves his feet to shoot the ball, is disrupted in his initial attempt by a defensive touch on the ball but remains in possession throughout, he simply must look to shoot or pass the ball before landing. Aware offensive players let go of the ball as a result of the touch, in which case it obviously goes down as a strip or clean block and the player can land and continue dribbling.
ThirdMan
Junior
And1: 125

Post#8 » by ThirdMan » Thu Jun 9, 2011 8:40 am

shobe_81 wrote:But if a player was shooting a 3, and another defender fly's by and touches the ball.

Given the touch, the offensive player still air-borne instead decides to come down with the ball and dribbles to the basket.

Would that not be a travel? He had a chance to still shoot after the defender touched the ball.

That's a great scenario and it illustrates exactly why it should be called a travel. If a defensive player makes a clean touch on the ball and forces the offensive player to come back down with it then why on earth would you punish him by letting the offensive player play on? Reward the great defense and call the travel. I don't even like it being called a jump ball. Should always be a travel.
Joining CGC's "#GetJeffGreen" bandwagon
doctorfunk
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#9 » by doctorfunk » Thu Jun 9, 2011 8:46 am

shobe_81 wrote:This play was very similar to the Lebron play in game 3 where he tries to shoot while getting a opponents hand on the ball, instead he comes down with it and nothing is called until he dribbled again.

Can someone explain the rule please. Is it supposed to be a jump-ball, a travel, or is it really a personal interpretation of the official?

By NBA rules it should be a jumpball, when you block a guy who is in air and he comes down with it after the block. However it looked like the b all slipped from LBJs hands that's a travel then.
HB2
Pro Prospect
And1: 93

Post#10 » by HB2 » Thu Jun 9, 2011 9:04 am

seattlefan35 wrote:I know for sure that in FIBA rules if you leave the ground with the ball, and land with the ball (having never lost control of the ball) that is a travel. I think this is the same in the NBA. The only difference is in the NBA if the defending player is holding onto the ball when the offensive player lands they call a jump ball. In FIBA this is still a travel.

Right, in FIBA it is called a travel, but in NBA they mostly call it a jump ball.

To avoid being called for the travel in FIBA play the guy who jumped would intentionally release the ball before landing, allowing the defencive player to "block" the ball and then he would not be called for travel and in most cases he would be the one catching the ball after block, thus regaining possession and dribble.

Personally for me the FIBA rule makes more sense, as jump ball should normally be called when both players have a possession/control of the ball or, in other words, neither of them really has a control of the ball. This is not the case when one guy is just holding his hand at the top of the ball, while the other still has the possession and still has more "options" what do with the ball.
koko wrote:
YFZblu wrote:
koko wrote:I want to F Navarro. Do him some nasty things.

:o

Watchin him play makes me horny. Deal with it, i did.
Stopshere2
Head Coach
And1: 38

Post#11 » by Stopshere2 » Thu Jun 9, 2011 9:20 am

Agre with those saying FIBA calls all returns to the ground with the ball a travel.

NBA calls jump ball when the blocker smothers the shot without fouling and thus forces the shooter back down to the floor with the ball in his hands. If the blocker just briefly touches or glances the ball and the shooter returns to the floor with the ball, I see NBA refs call travel because the shooter would have had the chance to dispose of the ball.
Luckily, for the revenue department of the government, speed doesn't kill.
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#12 » by Vindicater » Thu Jun 9, 2011 10:48 am

If the shooter leaves their feet and comes back down with sole possession of the ball then it is a travel.

If the defender still has a hand on the ball (thus drove the ball downwards) when the shooters feet touch down again then the ball is in both players possession and is a jump ball.

Fairly easy to understand guys.
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
BoomFizzle
Bench Warmer
And1: 157

Post#13 » by BoomFizzle » Thu Jun 9, 2011 1:55 pm

I like the FIBA ruling, atleast the rule we play with. If you smother the ball with a block, all the way to the ground its a travel. None of this pussy jump-ball nonsense as soon as two players touch a ball. Plus it makes the offensive player feel like an idiot.

On a side note, get rid of jump-balls. So much depends on the throw, and why should we reward whoever can jump the highest anyway?
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 13,989

Post#14 » by Laimbeer » Thu Jun 9, 2011 3:39 pm

shobe_81 wrote:Through the entire play, Player A maintains possession...

Yep a travel, or "up and down" as it used to be called. That's the whole key right there.
LHead2
Junior
And1: 3

Post#15 » by LHead2 » Thu Jun 9, 2011 5:06 pm

BoomFizzle wrote:On a side note, get rid of jump-balls. So much depends on the throw, and why should we reward whoever can jump the highest anyway?

What do you do instead? In NCAABB, they basically do a coin toss. I say that's worse.

Do you give it back to the offense? That punishes good defense, and could put valuable time back on the shot clock.

Do you give it to the defense? They didn't make a complete strip or block.

Jump ball seems like the more logical way to settle it.

ON TOPIC, when playing pick-up ball, I usually view this as a play-on.
Ditchweed
Starter
And1: 89

Post#16 » by Ditchweed » Thu Jun 9, 2011 5:39 pm

The following from a Lithuanian coaching guide should clear it up for you:

Krepšinio Kelionės:

Jei žaidėjas palieka jo kojų, kad metimas ir grįžta į su kamuoliu aukšte, manoma, kelionės pažeidimas.

Return to The General Board