Woj:The NBA is going away for a long time.

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,404

Re: Woj:The NBA is going away for a long time. 

Post#141 » by Roscoe Sheed » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:10 pm

MF Doom wrote:The NBA needs non guaranteed contracts.

to a degree that's true. However, I think a few years should be guaranteed. It should be like the NFL which was really exploiting the players. If the NFL players can't get a more favorable deal than they had, they should refuse to play
MrOrlando
Starter
And1: 88

Post#142 » by MrOrlando » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:42 pm

I'd do to Magic games if I lived close to Orlando. Maybe the NBA should have a fan relocation program where you get free tickets and a voucher to move to an NBA city of your choice. Have NBA Apartments/Condos and NBA restaurants and convenience stores to boost money :D
TheSheriff
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,229

Post#143 » by TheSheriff » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:18 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
MF Doom wrote:The NBA needs non guaranteed contracts.

to a degree that's true. However, I think a few years should be guaranteed. It should be like the NFL which was really exploiting the players. If the NFL players can't get a more favorable deal than they had, they should refuse to play

The NFL players already got more than half the league income, so how were they being exploited? Yeah fee players had non-guaranteed contracts, so some individual players got screwed, but overall the players as a whole did very well for themselves.

If there were guaranteed contracts with the hard cap, teams would be unable to pay players young players what they deserve because they would already be paying an injured superstar big money and have no escape that contract.
Sunk Cost
Senior
And1: 0

Post#144 » by Sunk Cost » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:00 pm

trlp1712 wrote:The problem with contracts with HEAVY incentives (say, 85-90 % of the contract is incentives) is that it could open a pandora box where players could be playing for the money (IE: padding the stats) and not the good of the team. I really don't know. I think a hard cap is more than enough. That's it. Tho owners really need to spend more wisely.

Those were my two cents. By the way, sorry if my English isn't good enough. I'm Venezuelan, just hope it was understood.

Good enough English and good enough post IMO. Teams would have to be careful not to give incentives that might result in individual agendas, but I think a lot of the worst contracts in the league could be avoided just with incentives for games played or mpg, which would leave the coach to decide how valuable the player is. As long as there were exceptions for legit injuries, the player's only concern would be staying in shape and meeting the coach's expectations for whatever role they signed him for.

Any other box score incentives would have to be low enough so the player could do their job and not have to think about them anyway. It would achieve the same thing except that they might try to stat pad if they did get their minutes cut.

Return to The General Board