NBA lockout... 2012 draft

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,549

Re: NBA lockout... 2012 draft 

Post#41 » by Dominator83 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:41 pm

Just not have a 2012 draft. Its too unfair to just repeat the order considering that alot can change in a year and its not uncommon for teams to move up or down 10+ spots in a single year.

in 2007 the Bulls own pick (had a swap option with NY) was 23rd. The following year they landed the #1 overall from the 9 seed. So even if they got the expected 9th pick, thats still 14 spots up from the year before. Then they went from the 9 spot that (or #1 if you go by the lottery result) to 16 the following year. They also went from 17 last year to 30 this year, dropping 13 spots in a single year.

Boston ha the 5th (and was actually the 2 seed in the lotto) pick in 2007 and dropped a whopping 25 spots all the way to dead last 30th pick in 2008

I know there are plenty of other examples of this every year with various teams. Sure you got your regulars like the Wolves, Clippers, and Raptors, but there are still a handful of teams that can suck one year and be very good the next or vice versa.

Im sorry but too much can change in one year and it wouldnt be fair to just simply hand the same 14 teams lotto picks when a handful of them potentially mite not be in the lottery if there are games
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
daniel3
Lead Assistant
And1: 481

Post#42 » by daniel3 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:56 pm

All 30 teams enter the lottery to decide position. Heat get #1 pick :).
Friend_Of_Haley
RealGM
And1: 374

Post#43 » by Friend_Of_Haley » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:59 pm

I know this idea is kind of crazy, but I say they do a auction style draft. Each team would have a fixed cap and have to buy the rights to at least two players. Their fixed cap amount would be based on a combination of record, playoff appearances and lottery results from the past three years. You could probably even work draft pick debits/credits into it somehow. The team with the worst ranking gets the largest cap and the best ranking gets the lowest. The bidding wont be the actual money of the salary, but just buy the rights to negotiate, and the order of the rookie salary scale would be based on highest bid to lowest bid. I'd probably also make the bids blind with tie-breakers set up.

Crazy, I know, but I like it because it adds some "randomness" to make up for the fact that we don't have an accurate seeding to use, but still tries to fairly give an advantage to worse off teams.
Tuff Gong
Starter
And1: 1,163

Post#44 » by Tuff Gong » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:05 pm

Vindicater wrote:
Godzilla039 wrote:If there's no season, I hope they repeat the order of this years draft. It would make for a more competitive league.

I would much rather see them take the combined record of every team over the last three seasons and then do a 30 team lottery. All pick stipulations from trades would be pushed a year backwards in this situation due to the anomoly of this draft.

RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,789

Post#45 » by RoyceDa59 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:37 pm

Roger Murdock wrote:They should do it the way they always do it. Based on the record of games played in the previous season, which would be the one we just played.

This is the obvious and correct answer. The league would re-do the draft lottery based on the most recent season's record, nothing more, nothing less.

Any other idea is just ridiculous.
Go Raps!!
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,308

Post#46 » by Froob » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:40 pm

NYK0605 wrote:Stern will pick the order.

One way or another :P .

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#47 » by TheNewEra » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:43 pm

mkwest wrote:
Stolen Team Fan wrote:People forget that Boston owns the worst of the Minn. / LAC picks in 2012, and only the Clips pick is top-10 protected. So Boston would actually get the #2 if the draft is identical to 2011.

Still, I imagine the #1 going to the Clips for getting shafted in 2011. I know it's not rigged, but it always coincidentally works out that way. :wink:

Boston will only receive the Minnesota pick if the Clippers and Wolves both fall outside of the top 10 picks with the Minnesota pick being the lesser of the 2.

If both picks are in the top 10, the Clippers keep them both.

THIS.

The picks are still protected enough that the Celtics won't get either one. Even if we have a season If the Clippers and T-Wolves fall under the top ten we keep both picks.

Another perfect draft scenario Harrison Barnes with Minny Pick and Clipper Pick Austin River (Sixth man)
DiscoLives4ever
General Manager
And1: 2,757

Post#48 » by DiscoLives4ever » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:52 pm

Give each GM a ballot to rank the way they feel the draft order should go, and average out positions off of that. Any ties would be broken be a coin flip

Return to The General Board