Why is Horford considered an undersized Center but not Nene?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Point-God
Banned User
And1: 8

Re: Why is Horford considered an undersized Center but not N 

Post#41 » by Point-God » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:01 pm

It's amazing that anyone outside of Horford's family members would say that he has more basketball strength than Nene. Atlanta has been knocked for being an undersized underpowered team for years. Horford always gets talked about for playing out of position at C where he gets overmatched. You never hear that sort of conversation regarding Nene because he never gets overpowered. Nene's flaw is that he isn't much of a shot blocker on or off the ball.
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,466

Post#42 » by Blame Rasho » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:21 pm

buckeye12 wrote:Both guys seem to have the same height and build, but i never hear of anybody calling Nene undersize, why is that?

Nene is bigger... I seen him next to Tim Duncan and he is smaller in comparison. Duncan is bigger than Hortford...
knicksosmoove
Lead Assistant
And1: 23

Post#43 » by knicksosmoove » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:52 am

I don't think Nene has the range of most powerforwards in the league. He plays very close to the basket, this and his bulk make him more of a center to me
Tommy Sneakers
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#44 » by Tommy Sneakers » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:59 am

Nene is just as good at center as he is at power forward. Horford is much better at power forward than he is at center.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#45 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:00 am

hype_2004 wrote:
Point-God wrote:Nene is stronger. Nene never gets overpowered. Horford doesn't have as much basketball strength defensively.

says who? you. I look at the facts on paper(combine) and look at the success Horford has in defending the likes of Bogut and Howard, he is a lot stronger than Nene even with a 5-10 lbs less bodyweight.

LOL, you really can't be basing there strength off bench press #'s from their rookie combines, can you?
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
aggo
RealGM
And1: 5,740

Post#46 » by aggo » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:09 am

Nene is a stronger low post defender who isn't backed down easily.

Nene has more of a low post offense than Horford does.
grimballer
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#47 » by grimballer » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:54 am

hype_2004 wrote:
MaceCase wrote:I've heard plenty of commentators refer to Nene as undersized for C and refer to him as more of a PF but years as a flex guy behind Camby and KMart and then as a starting C has just made people forget about it. That and the fact the guy is much bigger than Horford even coming into the league.

Just compare their physiques even.

Don't let Horford's leaner physique fool you brother, he is stronger than Nene that I can guarantee.

horford was moved to pf this year in playoff. thats all u need to no.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#48 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:06 am

Yeah, how'd that workout for him?
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
mid-post
Analyst
And1: 70

Post#49 » by mid-post » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:45 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:
hype_2004 wrote:
Point-God wrote:Nene is stronger. Nene never gets overpowered. Horford doesn't have as much basketball strength defensively.

says who? you. I look at the facts on paper(combine) and look at the success Horford has in defending the likes of Bogut and Howard, he is a lot stronger than Nene even with a 5-10 lbs less bodyweight.

LOL, you really can't be basing there strength off bench press #'s from their rookie combines, can you?

Pretty much.
OT but I have a big problem with the way people try to use the combine to assess prospects. I also have a problem with how stupidly the combine is designed in general. Bench press is way less important than squat for example.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Post#50 » by dockingsched » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:53 am

i've seen andrew bynum back down horford with ease while nene is able to somewhat stand toe to toe with bynum in the post. horford just isn't as strong as nene.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
johnny878
Senior

Post#51 » by johnny878 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:37 am

hype_2004 wrote:

horford doesnt even gaurd howard when they play. what are you talking about? Collins and Zaza do most of the howard "defense", hell, the hawks even put josh smith on howard this post season before they let howard near horford. because ohward just tears up horfords soft ass.

horford is brought up more as an undersized C because he plays small. He avoids physical contact and shoots 15 foot jumpers all game long. even when moved to the 4, he couldnt even post up ryan anderson without looking foolish.
Prolific Scorer
Banned User

Post#52 » by Prolific Scorer » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:48 am

Because Nene has a postgame and Al doesn't

Return to The General Board