Why do people think it's easy being

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Re: Why do people think it's easy being 

Post#961 » by TheNewEra » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:14 am

To everyone complaining players make to much there is a person somewhere is lives in a poverty that the "average" person makes too much. Its a cycle there is always struggling harder than you and feels they deserve morethen you.
OvertimeNO
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,663

Post#962 » by OvertimeNO » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:10 pm

TheNewEra wrote:To everyone complaining players make to much there is a person somewhere is lives in a poverty that the "average" person makes too much. Its a cycle there is always struggling harder than you and feels they deserve morethen you.

Relativist nonsense. I doubt someone in dire poverty would claim that a middle-class earner is making "too much". And even if they feel that way, I don't think they'd class someone who can put food on the table and a roof over their head on the same level as someone with fifty cars and a pet cheetah.
"If it ain't broke, don't break it." - Charles Oakley
grimballer
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#963 » by grimballer » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:34 pm

The Rebel wrote:
CCIIIs Hair wrote:

Oh, and for anyone saying that players are overpaid; I said I wouldn't argue about it, but chew on this before making the claim next time: Let's say for the sake of argument that the average NBA player makes about 6 million dollars a year. Most states have a income tax, so that 6 million is really closer to 4. Agents are going to take 15-20%, we'll say 15. Then you have to give your manager a cut, so there goes another 10%, which is as much as your lawyer gets.

That leaves you with 2,754,000 a year, and we haven't even factored in things like house payments, car payments, various insurances, and other bills. Most of these guys aren't getting paid by Nike or McDonald's, and most of them have a family that they chose to support. When you factor in the aforementioned 4.7 years average lifespan for an NBA player, that means the average NBA player earns just a shade under 13 million dollars in their career. Maybe that's more than enough to live comfortably off of for the rest of one's life, maybe it isn't. Take into consideration the fact that everyone has different levels of comfort. I pull in about 75k a year, which is way more than enough for a single 26 year old living in Venice, California, but perhaps not enough for the next guy.

Agents actually get much closer to 4-6% of the players contracts in the standard NBA deal. Most managers actually make less then the agents.

It is funny reading through this thread, those of you pushing how hard athletes lives are need a reality check. the money they make allows them to make choices in how they live and who they associate with, lack of real talent, education, and skills that some people face take away those choices, meaning they have an inherently harder life. An athlete that is paid millions of dollars per year has the choice in what it takes for them to live comfortably, the guy who barely graduated high school and is now working as a mechanic has much less choice in what it takes to live comfortably. If athletes decide they have to support everybody they have ever met it is there choice and does not make their life harder, a truck driver that has to work 70 hours per week just to feed his wife and kids, he does not have a choice in feeding his 3rd cousin daily. the miner who did not make it out of high school has to choose between being in a mine 60 hours a week or working a minimum wage job, a professional athlete gets the opportunity to make millions working 30-40 hours a week. The guy working 2 jobs to support his disabled child does not get the choice to drop $5,000 on a bottle of booze even on the most special of occasions, pro athletes can choose how many bottles they want to provide to their mooches. Nobody is saying that the lives these athletes live is perfect, but their troubles are troubles they bring on themselves by making stupid decisions, while others may have never had the opportunity to even have a choice on how they want to live their life.

Many people in this world never have the opportunity to live their dream, many people may never even be able to afford to take a vacation, many never have the choice in what career they want to pursue, many never get the chance to attend college, many work 60-80 hours a week to put food on the table and provide for their children. They have tough lives. athletes choose their profession, they get handed chances for their education, they have at least a month vacation every year and the money to enjoy it, athletes at most spend 35-40 hours at work per week. If they choose to make their life more difficult, it is because the choices they make. Personally I do not and will never feel sorry for them, instead I will reserve my pity for those that never had the opportunity to make many choices in their lives.

but everything is a choice in life.

you choose to buy a house n pay off the mortgage or have kids.

true sometimes having a kid wasnt the 1st choice, but another choice was there before it happened.

if we go even further a career is a choice as well.

nobody forced guys working minimum wage or miners to do those kind a jobs. it was their choice.

they chose not to do much in school n then after that chose those careers.

aaron brooks couldve chose to listen to ppl around him on how short he is n how only few make it to the nba n chose to focus on school instead n put bball on the side.

brooks made a choice to go with bball career n it paid off.

thousands others made the same choice n it did not n now work min wage or in mines.

also expectations are greater for a nba player.

nobody expects much from a guy making 50 k.

how about nba player making 5 mil?

if he goes out with his old friends should he not pick up the bill every single time?

should he just pay for his drinks/dinner n let his buddies (with 30 k salaries) pay for theirs?

if one of his buddies is having financial issues, should he just pretend he doesnt know him anymore?

now those are "just" friends, they come n go, but what about family members?

should the player chose not to go to family reunions anymore in order to avoid ppl asking him for money?

what if uncle ben is no longer able to pay his mortgage or cousin ashley wants to go to college but cant afford it?

should the nba player choose to ignore all that?

its funny how everybody expects nba players to donate their time n money, but when they help ppl around them, then theyre idiots.
Gongxi
Banned User
And1: 27

Post#964 » by Gongxi » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:40 pm

I award you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul.
mup
Veteran
And1: 556

Post#965 » by mup » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:51 pm

Starkiller wrote:So if we middle class people's lives aren't hard, what does that make an NBA player's life?
"Not Easy."
OvertimeNO
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,663

Post#966 » by OvertimeNO » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:01 pm

mup wrote:
Starkiller wrote:So if we middle class people's lives aren't hard, what does that make an NBA player's life?

"Not Easy."

If mo' money = mo' problems, as some here seem to indicate, wouldn't the logical solution be for players to take less money?

We're all on the same side!
"If it ain't broke, don't break it." - Charles Oakley
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#967 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:05 pm

I think the simple answer is they make their own problems...whether it's gambling, having too big of an entourage, or just buying stupid things.

Are they overpaid? Yes; but the market sets their worth.
Gongxi
Banned User

Post#968 » by Gongxi » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:10 pm

I don't even think 'overpaid' is the proper word. If the market supports it, the market supports it. If we were paying people by what they contribute to further society, we'd pay people to be good mothers and fathers, but we don't.

And that's fine, I have no problem with it.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#969 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:34 pm

Anyone want to give me a summary of the 65!!! pages
BossHoggin
General Manager
And1: 571

Post#970 » by BossHoggin » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:39 pm

Dr Mufasa wrote:Anyone want to give me a summary of the 65!!! pages

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fEjJ4Ecy9Q[/youtube]
Heat3Peat wrote:See this is why it's nice being a LeBron fan, no super hard allegiance to a team so there is no up and down emotions with me during a time like this.
Rondo
Banned User

Post#971 » by Rondo » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:02 pm

To be an elite player, it's not easy. But, if you're a bum like eddy curry and gain 300 pounds. Then yeah it's a easy life.
_Game7_
Veteran
And1: 1,415

Post#972 » by _Game7_ » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:18 pm

BossHoggin wrote:

Pretty much.

I don't care how you get rich, sports, family, investment's, lotto, drugs, if you are rich, your life is easier simple as that. But not necessarily better.
Exodus wrote:I think Kyrie Irving in the best player on the team to be honest
PPAW4Life
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#973 » by PPAW4Life » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:17 pm

High- Times wrote:
BossHoggin wrote:

Pretty much.

I don't care how you get rich, sports, family, investment's, lotto, drugs, if you are rich, your life is easier simple as that. But not necessarily better.

So then you believe money solves all of your problems?
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#974 » by Knicksfan20 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:45 pm

OP is probably 14 and has no idea what its like in the real world.
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#975 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:37 am

Knicksfan20 wrote:OP is probably 14 and has no idea what its like in the real world.

tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#976 » by tiderulz » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:50 am

PPAW4Life wrote:
High- Times wrote:Pretty much.

Lebron, did they not teach you reading comprehension? He said life is easier, not better.
Gongxi
Banned User

Post#977 » by Gongxi » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:56 am

I don't understand how he could've responded to that post with that anyway. How did he get that money "solves all problems" when he just said it made it easier. If I say "man, my life sure is easier with this new car" or "wow, it sure is easier to talk to chicks now that I've lost all that fat" or even "this game sure is easier after I put the difficulty level down" does that mean a car/weight loss/video game "solves all of my problems"? Of course not.

It was, unsurprisingly, a dumb response to High-Times' post in the first place.
grimballer
Banned User

Post#978 » by grimballer » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:45 pm

tiderulz wrote:
PPAW4Life wrote:
High- Times wrote:Pretty much.

Lebron, did they not teach you reading comprehension? He said life is easier, not better.

wtf?

you conclude that base on what?

if i make 2 mil a year n can get fancy cars n a big house, i would think my life is better than now.

if my profession however was mma fighter, i wouldnt consider my life easier.
Starkiller
Assistant Coach
And1: 269

Post#979 » by Starkiller » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:49 pm

^ That's basically your opinion. Because despite the physical stress it would take, I'd take being an MMA fighter (at the highest level, since we are talking about the same level basketball players) over my job/life right now without thinking about it.
This ^
grimballer
Banned User

Post#980 » by grimballer » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:02 pm

Starkiller wrote:^ That's basically your opinion. Because despite the physical stress it would take, I'd take being an MMA fighter (at the highest level, since we are talking about the same level basketball players) over my job/life right now without thinking about it.

k. would you say your life is easier?

Return to The General Board