Why doesn't Tim Duncan have a DPOY?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Johnny Kilroy
Assistant Coach
And1: 442

Re: Why doesn't Tim Duncan have a DPOY? 

Post#41 » by Johnny Kilroy » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:19 am

coanbread wrote:I think its politics. Duncan has never been a media darling. And he not very marketable. He won the mvps cuz he deserved them.

Its just like pippen in the 90s. How he didn't win at least 1 dpoy is beyond me. But he was the highest vote getter on the nba all defense team in I believe 95. I also think he was blackballed cuz of sitting out that game in the playoffs.

pippen should have definitely won at least 1-2 DPOYs.
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,959

Post#42 » by Optms » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:26 am

Flynt Flossy wrote:
Vindicater wrote:Two Reasons.

1). He was winning MVP awards instead and they didn't want to give him both.

2). Ben Wallace was an equally as good Defensive player as Duncan but had zero offence skills which emphasised how much he was on the team for Defensive purposes.

These are the only two reasons I can think of...Wallace definately benefited in earning DPOY's because his offense was terrible...

Had more to due with the fact that Wallace was just a more superior defense player both on man-to-man and help defense.
CB4Champ
Banned User
And1: 2,445

Post#43 » by CB4Champ » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:36 am

Man, to think my favorite player never won an DPOY is sadness :( .

Timmy will always be the Best PF Period. His talent and Game was remarkable and he always played Team Ball.

I hope this season coming up, Timmy wins another ring. He deserve's it.
manou
Rookie
And1: 421

Post#44 » by manou » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:42 am

As a spurs fan for a long time, I'm not shocked about that. Duncan couldn't care less.

That said, I always found strange Artest had one, while Bowen had none (2 times runner up to ben wallace). Prime Bowen was NASTY, a fantastic (and yes, sometimes dirty) and legendary wing defender.

Guys like Kobe, prime Ray, prime Vince and many others were extramotivated when thay had to play him, they all looked to play against him.
That Nicka
Banned User
And1: 34

Post#45 » by That Nicka » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:01 am

Tubal wrote:
Volcano wrote:
Tubal wrote:I don't think he was ever better defensively than the players that won.

No reason he should have had one.

Camby was better defensively than Duncan?

That year. Camby was a beast in the middle. More blocks, more steals, more defensive rebounds (and total rebounds) then Duncan.

Doesn't mean he was a better player. Just better defensively that year.

Camby was not better than Duncan defensively
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,576

Post#46 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:06 am

Because the award is based on poor stats and reputation.
Duncan was the best defender in the league in his prime, but there were people with better numbers.
Слава Украине!
NotoriousBIG_PJ
Freshman
And1: 5

Post#47 » by NotoriousBIG_PJ » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:16 pm

The year Camby won it, they always gave Nene the tougher assignment on d and let Camby float around for his blocks. Then they traded him for little in the off-season. So that tells you how much they valued his 'd', on a team that was poor on defense to begin with.

Biggie.

Return to The General Board