when did people start turning on lebron

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

TeeheeDumDum
Sophomore
And1: 10

Re: when did people start turning on lebron 

Post#121 » by TeeheeDumDum » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:46 pm

Vides990 wrote:I see him as being immature for the same reasons you bring forth...refusing to shake hands, the dirk shots (but that wasnt just him right?) etc...but the way i look at that is a player thats overly competitive letting his emotions get the best of him (the shaking hands part that is)...to me thats not a big deal worth criticizing him over, hes just young. Being immature is different then being an a$$hole or a jerk or whatever other personality traits people have tried to associate with him.
By bringing out the "he's young" routine, you bring alot to question. Lebron isn't some rookie/sophmore. In fact, alot of people younger than him have acted more mature. Hell, Blake Griffin is more mature despite making many more immature videos. Why? Context.

I agree about the difference between immaturity and jerky-ness. The problem? The way Lebron's "immaturity/jerky-ness" appears is through poor sportsmanship, cocky showboating, etc. And, just to cover all ground on this topic, even if you see it as only immaturity, it's his immaturity that is the problem, is what is criticized, and is what he needs to change.

The celebrations were just as much the miami organization as it was lebron so i dont think he should take the entire blame for that. With D Rose recently making similiar championship expectations it just shows all these guys think that way, but like you said, its moreso the context of how it was brough forth. I dont really see how "the decision" is much different from any other live press conference other then "it happened to Cleveland yet again." I feel like people have an image of who and what they want lebron to be, and they arent happy with him just being himself. It's just like MJ and Derek Jeter being able to work the media and have them portray an image they want associated vs Arod and Lebron not really knowing how to, or simply not caring enough of what people think, which is perfectly ok.
Yes and no. This would be the case had Lebron not done one single, outrageous stupid event right after: The celebration. Yes others were involve, but you would have me at gunpoint for me to say that had the entire "The Decision" debacle not take place, the "We Already Won" celebration still would occur.
To me, Lebron is the catalyst that lead to the whole aura of cockiness surrounding the Heat (he's also responsible for much of it). Chris Bosh and Dwayne Wade both had terrible moments of PR a few times, but Lebron outnumbers them both. Let's not forget the shoulder bump into Spo, the "Karma's a bitch" quote, or the Dirk shots. Yes, part of it him being "perceived as the leader." However, Lebron hasn't denounced the name of King. He's pretty much accepted it as his identity, without trying to change his attitude to fit it.

IMO the way he handled the media and outrage this year was very well done as well, sure you have an interesting quote here or there but hes not personally attacking back, blowing people off, or acting out in a manner thats unprofessional.
While this is true to a large degree, Lebron's Public Image would have benefited from him saying nothing at all. Or at least very little. This all goes back to his immaturity, which needs to be solved.

I also dont get where the whole, oh he quit in this game or that game came from. As someone that watched those games obviously he was not up to the usual bar he has set for himself, but no rational human being is going think that a professional athlete at the top of his sport, just quit and lost, that doesnt make any sense and goes completely against how these guys are wired. Do i know what happened? nope and i dont pretend too either.
I never brought this up really. While I personally do think he slacked in multiple playoff appearances, it's a position I wouldn't take the time to back up.

Overall I do believe my point has gotten across. Lebron is immature, that's his problem, and he needs to find a way not to "open mouth, insert crab legs."
KI-DW-TT-AB wrote:You (Mark Cuban) suck at basketball, you suck at business, you suck at accepting people & having positive impact on the world, you suck at having love for other things, therefore you suck at life, you're a glorified lottery winner, nothing more.
BIGGIEsmalls 23
Banned User
And1: 810

Post#122 » by BIGGIEsmalls 23 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:58 pm

For me, it was years ago when ESPN & David Stern decided to crown him the King.
LavinMagoof
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#123 » by LavinMagoof » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:59 pm

I haven't turned on LeBron. His only mistake has been getting too fat. He needs to lose thirty pounds and he needs to go back to playing point guard.
ChosenSavior
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 12,740

Post#124 » by ChosenSavior » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:04 pm

BIGGIEsmalls 23 wrote:For me, it was years ago when ESPN & David Stern decided to crown him the King.

This.
Vides990
Starter
And1: 972

Post#125 » by Vides990 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:53 pm

TeeheeDumDum wrote:By bringing out the "he's young" routine, you bring alot to question. Lebron isn't some rookie/sophmore. In fact, alot of people younger than him have acted more mature. Hell, Blake Griffin is more mature despite making many more immature videos. Why? Context.."

Agreed, Lebron is a little old to bring up the he's "young" routine but people dont always act their age depending on how theyve been raised, and the people that influence them. Blake in that regard is a great comparision for me as he had 2 parents growing up in a stable environment, something Lebron didnt have being raised by a 15 yr old. If you dont think that makes a difference in peoples lives I dont know what to tell you.

TeeheeDumDum wrote:I agree about the difference between immaturity and jerky-ness. The problem? The way Lebron's "immaturity/jerky-ness" appears is through poor sportsmanship, cocky showboating, etc. And, just to cover all ground on this topic, even if you see it as only immaturity, it's his immaturity that is the problem, is what is criticized, and is what he needs to change.."

Some people are just immature no? People grow up at different rates, look back at their lives and see how they could have done things differently. This is something unique to every individual and when youre criticizing Lebron for what are really very small offenses it seems like overkill.

TeeheeDumDum wrote:Yes and no. This would be the case had Lebron not done one single, outrageous stupid event right after: The celebration. Yes others were involve, but you would have me at gunpoint for me to say that had the entire "The Decision" debacle not take place, the "We Already Won" celebration still would occur.
To me, Lebron is the catalyst that lead to the whole aura of cockiness surrounding the Heat (he's also responsible for much of it). Chris Bosh and Dwayne Wade both had terrible moments of PR a few times, but Lebron outnumbers them both. Let's not forget the shoulder bump into Spo, the "Karma's a bitch" quote, or the Dirk shots. Yes, part of it him being "perceived as the leader." However, Lebron hasn't denounced the name of King. He's pretty much accepted it as his identity, without trying to change his attitude to fit it.
While this is true to a large degree, Lebron's Public Image would have benefited from him saying nothing at all. Or at least very little. This all goes back to his immaturity, which needs to be solved.

I'll agree to disagree. I dont see Lebron as anymore of a catalyst then any other player involved. I also dont see a problem with the "Karmas a bitch" quote, the reaction that people had last summer was borderline inhumane. Speaking of his King identity, i see someone like you that has embraced it, and therefore does what he wants without thinking of others (sounds very much like a king no?) yes that comes back to immaturity but I dont see it as an issue. If Lebron hadnt made any quotes from Aug/Sept 2010, until lets say the playoffs, theres no way the outrage wouldnt still exist.

TeeheeDumDum wrote:I never brought this up really. While I personally do think he slacked in multiple playoff appearances, it's a position I wouldn't take the time to back up.
Overall I do believe my point has gotten across. Lebron is immature, that's his problem, and he needs to find a way not to "open mouth, insert crab legs."

Agreed, just saw many other people point this out in the thread so I brought it up....sure why not.
Preemptively joining the Bucks and Twolves bandwagons.
HighRyzer83
RealGM
And1: 4,487

Post#126 » by HighRyzer83 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:28 pm

TeeheeDumDum wrote:, Lebron's Public Image would have benefited from him saying nothing at all. Or at least very little. This all goes back to his immaturity, which needs to be solved.

:nod:
seems immaturity is interchangeable with insecurity with lebron
Deus
Veteran
And1: 149

Post#127 » by Deus » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:39 pm

people hate conceit. leaving cle is one thing people would've forgiven him for given time, but when he went on ESPN and announced it like he was Gods' gift to Miami, it created a lot of descent.
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,276

Post#128 » by Yuri Vaultin » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:07 pm

Yuri doesn't like it when people talk about themselves in the third person.
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
MF Doom
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#129 » by MF Doom » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:11 pm

The media has played a big part in LeBron being hated.
the edge
Pro Prospect
And1: 109

Post#130 » by the edge » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:34 pm

As a Cavs fan I started seeing it from day one. As a backlash to all the hype and coverage on TV, to the shoe contract, ect. and it just got worse over time. Escecially when the media types starting calling him the King and all that.

But, as a person who grew up and lived in Akron, we all heard about how he would go to the Giant Eagle store being all loud with his posse knocking things off the shelfs, making a mess for others to clean up, before he even went pro, and then paying with food stamps. Going to applebees and signing a napkin for a tip!! After he had the cash!?!
And when he got in trouble for having a Hummer when he was in high school, then a few days later he's at a game with a remote hummer driving it all over the courts, kinda like ha, look what I did, so slick.

So even people back home knew he was an ass before most other people caught wind of him. Ya know what they say, best friends/ worst enemies, now everybody is on to him.
OvertimeNO
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,663

Post#131 » by OvertimeNO » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:38 pm

MF Doom wrote:The media has played a big part in LeBron being hated.

Feed the monster enough and one day it'll grow big enough to eat you.
"If it ain't broke, don't break it." - Charles Oakley
Niko23
Lead Assistant
And1: 884

Post#132 » by Niko23 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:10 pm

mid-post wrote:
Niko23 wrote:
BossHoggin wrote:When he quit on my team and his "home" (state).

For a man who knows so much about sports history, he knew what he did by naming his show The Decision.

The name fits right in with all the other negative Cleveland events: The _________

What's worse is that he had the potential to be the best and he quit on Miami in last year's finals. He lost his heart.

Its funny. Nobody ever responds to this type of post because I think the national media and people across the country do not fully understand why "The Decision" is a slap in the face to every Cleveland sports fan. Not that he left us, but because he rubbed it our faces by using that title. Nobody ever addresses this nor do I think anyone has any clue.

huh?
Is Cleveland the only place that uses the article "The" for any sort of event? This seems like a bit of a stretch.
Maybe he could have gone with LeDecision instead, but I guess that would probably offend your delicate sensibilities as well.

Thank you for proving your ignorance on the subject. Some simple research would have led you to understand what we are talking about. Try that before blindly responding to topic that you know nothing of.
HighRyzer83
RealGM
And1: 4,487

Post#133 » by HighRyzer83 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:45 pm

the edge wrote:As a Cavs fan I started seeing it from day one. As a backlash to all the hype and coverage on TV, to the shoe contract, ect. and it just got worse over time. Escecially when the media types starting calling him the King and all that.

But, as a person who grew up and lived in Akron, we all heard about how he would go to the Giant Eagle store being all loud with his posse knocking things off the shelfs, making a mess for others to clean up, before he even went pro, and then paying with food stamps. Going to applebees and signing a napkin for a tip!! After he had the cash!?!
And when he got in trouble for having a Hummer when he was in high school, then a few days later he's at a game with a remote hummer driving it all over the courts, kinda like ha, look what I did, so slick.

So even people back home knew he was an ass before most other people caught wind of him. Ya know what they say, best friends/ worst enemies, now everybody is on to him.

Despite the wad of cash in my pocket heres a dirty napkin with my name on it. Enjoy :lol:
Hennessy
Banned User

Post#134 » by Hennessy » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:55 pm

Niko23 wrote:Thank you for proving your ignorance on the subject. Some simple research would have led you to understand what we are talking about. Try that before blindly responding to topic that you know nothing of.

Now that's pretty rude seeing as y'all was trying to set people up for that. He said huh? Obviously not everyone knows what the actual Decision was in Cleveland seeing not everyone is from Cleveland or don't know their history. So how about instead of keeping secrets, perhaps you could start the thread with something like "you guys do know what the decision is, right? well it's...", follow me?

Don't have to bash everyone for not knowing what you know.... And sure there is google but you brought the subject up to a community so you should be the one to follow up on it.

Better luck next time, I guess
Godnani
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#135 » by Godnani » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:11 pm

when he starting acting like he is the greatest thing in the NBA even tho he is a LOSER!!
Hennessy
Banned User

Post#136 » by Hennessy » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:13 pm

Godnani wrote:when he starting acting like he is the greatest thing in the NBA even tho he is a LOSER!!

Superb point :lol: , you'll get better as time goes on
kobeaki
Veteran
And1: 6

Post#137 » by kobeaki » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:44 pm

it isnt so much that peeps turned on him, as they never bought into the hype in the first place...at least that describes my experience with him...
ucp.php?i=profile&mode=signature

XuDa wrote:Magic, Bird and the other 80#s HOF'ers were holding the league back and stunting it's development big time.

:lol:
OneTime86
Assistant Coach
And1: 746

Post#138 » by OneTime86 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:51 pm

I never liked him to be honest. Respected his game though.
TeeheeDumDum
Sophomore
And1: 10

Post#139 » by TeeheeDumDum » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:23 am

Vides990 wrote:Agreed, Lebron is a little old to bring up the he's "young" routine but people dont always act their age depending on how theyve been raised, and the people that influence them. Blake in that regard is a great comparision for me as he had 2 parents growing up in a stable environment, something Lebron didnt have being raised by a 15 yr old. If you dont think that makes a difference in peoples lives I dont know what to tell you.
Is that a reason, or an excuse? Because I'll I'm reading is you admitting he has a problem, which is what I'm saying. Because he had an unstable childhood, he is allowed to act like a total immature jerk? No. Just no.
Some people are just immature no? People grow up at different rates, look back at their lives and see how they could have done things differently. This is something unique to every individual and when youre criticizing Lebron for what are really very small offenses it seems like overkill.
No, they aren't very small offenses. They borderline on absolutely disgusting in terms of professional sportsmanship. My major criticism isn't that he does these stupid, immature/jerk things, but that he's done them, been criticized and questioned, yet proceeded to do worse things. In fact, it's the definition of insanity.

I'll agree to disagree. I dont see Lebron as anymore of a catalyst then any other player involved. I also dont see a problem with the "Karmas a bitch" quote, the reaction that people had last summer was borderline inhumane. Speaking of his King identity, i see someone like you that has embraced it, and therefore does what he wants without thinking of others (sounds very much like a king no?) yes that comes back to immaturity but I dont see it as an issue. If Lebron hadnt made any quotes from Aug/Sept 2010, until lets say the playoffs, theres no way the outrage wouldnt still exist.
Then I'll agree to disagree as well. I saw Cleveland's reaction a chance for him to show he can move on and act mature. Oh the irony afterwords in him giving his hometown a second middle finger.
KI-DW-TT-AB wrote:You (Mark Cuban) suck at basketball, you suck at business, you suck at accepting people & having positive impact on the world, you suck at having love for other things, therefore you suck at life, you're a glorified lottery winner, nothing more.
MagicBasketba11
Rookie

Post#140 » by MagicBasketba11 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:24 am

ImageImageImageImage
Twitter: NickTheQuick224

Return to The General Board