Kobe Bryant was at UCSB today

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

semi-sentient
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,609

Re: Kobe Bryant was at UCSB today 

Post#101 » by semi-sentient » Sun Oct 9, 2011 2:32 pm

Good stuff.

Imadogg wrote:Timeout.. Kobe is pissed.
Kwame says "Kobe... I'm wide open".
Kobe says "I know....... you're gonna be open again, Rasheed is ignoring you".
"Don't pass it to me"
"HUH?????????????"
"Don't pass it to me, I'm nervous... what if they foul me and I miss the FTs"
*wtffffffffffffffffff*
"Phil, take him outta the game"
Phil: ".... Nahhhhh let him figure it out"

Oh man, and to think I defended Kwame (for his defense) all those years. That's just pathetic on so many levels. I remember that damn Detroit game too. It came down to the wire and IIRC we lost on a last second shot by Odom (wide open 18-footer). Wasn't that Kwame's last game as a Laker? His problems with catching the ball are well documented, but this is the first time I've heard about him being scared of receiving the ball.

Anyway, I would have asked Kobe what the deal was this past year in terms of team chemistry. The Lakers were wildly inconsistent and couldn't seem to get any kind of momentum, and the body language just spoke of something going on behind the scenes (outside of just mental fatigue). Would have been interesting to hear him give his insight on Pau, Phil, and a few others that just seemed out of whack.

I would have been interested to hear what he expects of the team defense under Mike Brown as well.

Oh well.
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
Imadogg
Banned User
And1: 250

Post#102 » by Imadogg » Sun Oct 9, 2011 7:40 pm

semi-sentient wrote:Good stuff.

Imadogg wrote:Timeout.. Kobe is pissed.
Kwame says "Kobe... I'm wide open".
Kobe says "I know....... you're gonna be open again, Rasheed is ignoring you".
"Don't pass it to me"
"HUH?????????????"
"Don't pass it to me, I'm nervous... what if they foul me and I miss the FTs"
*wtffffffffffffffffff*
"Phil, take him outta the game"
Phil: ".... Nahhhhh let him figure it out"

Oh man, and to think I defended Kwame (for his defense) all those years. That's just pathetic on so many levels. I remember that damn Detroit game too. It came down to the wire and IIRC we lost on a last second shot by Odom (wide open 18-footer). Wasn't that Kwame's last game as a Laker? His problems with catching the ball are well documented, but this is the first time I've heard about him being scared of receiving the ball.

Anyway, I would have asked Kobe what the deal was this past year in terms of team chemistry. The Lakers were wildly inconsistent and couldn't seem to get any kind of momentum, and the body language just spoke of something going on behind the scenes (outside of just mental fatigue). Would have been interesting to hear him give his insight on Pau, Phil, and a few others that just seemed out of whack.

I would have been interested to hear what he expects of the team defense under Mike Brown as well.

Oh well.

I know, so many questions I would have asked if we had the time. Our professor spent the whole time asking questions. We weren't even going to be able to ask anything, but Kobe insisted that we do before he left.
TimoCruz
Starter
And1: 221

Post#103 » by TimoCruz » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:25 pm

Thanks for the videos. Didn't get a chance to watch it earlier. Is there any way you can remove them from private.

Thanks again
Courtesy of TurboZone
Kobeshow
Pro Prospect
And1: 725

Post#104 » by Kobeshow » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:41 pm

Posting Videos on Youtube and then make them private is like going outside naked and then be embarassed... Doesn't make sense at all...
USA
Banned User
And1: 455

Post#105 » by USA » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:23 pm

I think they are now private due to all of these other 'media' outlets using the videos and not giving credit where credit it due.
RHBullsFan
Sixth Man
And1: 52

Post#106 » by RHBullsFan » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:35 pm

Imadogg, AWESOME story and thank you for sharing. What an experience. Very cool that nobody asked for his autograph. Honestly, I don't get the whole "autograph" thing myself. After the fact it's just a piece of paper. Pictures with the celeb are much cooler.

I only know about UCSB because of Jim Rome. Did you attend his lecture he did a few months back? He mentioned it on his show in the spring/early summer.

What's it like going to school in paridise? It's insane the piece of land that your university holds, really beautiful.

Any way to get your vids made public again? Would really like to view them.

Again, thanks for sharing
Old School Magic Fan since 1990
USA
Banned User
And1: 455

Post#107 » by USA » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:41 pm

Read this on another thread. Sounds like Kobe wasn't too happy about these videos being posted??

Imadogg wrote:
Also, I had to remove the videos. I think that answers how Kobe felt. Fml
That Nicka
Banned User
And1: 34

Post#108 » by That Nicka » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:53 pm

I didn't get to watch the videos before they were taken down =(
schematics
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#109 » by schematics » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:47 am

Imadogg wrote:He came into a sports class, spoke in class, answered a looot of questions. Told a Cedric Ceballos story, who is hardest player to guard, who guards him best, Miami heat, pau, practice, lockout, 2012 season and Olympics... He even answered a question I asked, it's on video...

Got some pics and vid of some of it. More details and video in a bit.

Pics!

Some stuff he said.

Rookie year each of the new guys got a "mentor". His was Cedric Ceballos. During practice and stuff, Ceballos would be telling Kobe "get me the f*cking ball" and cussing him out. Later on, Kobe goes to the back of the bus, where the cool guys sit and rookies aren't allowed, goes up to Cedric, points at him and tells him (don't have this word for word of course) basically to never f*cking disrespect him again or he'll pop him in the face. The next day, his mentors were B Scott and Eddie Jones.

Hardest player to guard? Carmelo. Guys like Wade and Lebron and others are good in one/few aspects, like driving to the hole or just shooting. Melo can do it all, post, mid, 3, step left, step right, everything.

Who guards you best? Tony Allen. He's not the biggest guy but he knows how to guard you. He then went on to talk about how he can tell that some guys give up, each guy has a breaking point. Sometimes after you drain 2 shots on them they don't play as hard. Sometimes 3, 4, whatever. But each guy can break.

What do you think about Miami? He respects them. Doesn't give a **** if they win their division or whatever, he'll see them in June. Said Lebron and Wade play the same way so that causes them problems.

He said the Lakers will win the title next year. Also said he will be in the Olympics.

Talked about him and Lamar hating on Pau. In 2008 USA won the Gold over Spain. In 2010 USA won the Gold with Lamar. Kobe and Lamar would go up to Pau and show off their golds to hate on him haha. This year Pau got a gold so Kobe texted him and congratulated him. Pau replied "What do you want..". Kobe said "Nothing, just saying congrats." "Thanks." "You'll never win one again".

Last year he took a lot of practices off. He said he got mad that the Lakers lost their edge without him. He would see Drew and Pau on opposite sides. Pau would make a shot, Drew would tell him "nice shot man"... Kobe don't play dat shyt.

Said about Italy, don't believe everything you hear. Neither he nor the team will reason any info til something is official, so don't believe the BS.

Said he went to the lockout meeting yesterday, was boring and stupid. The same arguments over and over, no real negotiating, just repeating the same thing. He also said 50/50 is dumb, people think that's equal but it really isn't.

I'll try to remember more and upload video of more later.

Can you give a shoutout to Imadul? And out of any player in the NBA, who would you want on your team? What do you do when you wake up at 6am?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GK5sjh7zJw[/youtube]

Kobe also said this

"Jordan would never want you to know this, but I call him sometimes and we talk and he calls right back"
:lol:

Kwamay Brown story! :lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZoHAjaMYkg[/youtube]

Short one talking about who is better, him or Messi

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2vxox52U8k[/youtube]

Kobe speaking on Jordan

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvBXMvMdhHs[/youtube]

Talking about 2002 Kings ("they shoulda beat us")

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8agGHdVw1eY[/youtube]

2010 Celtics ("Greatest feeling I had winning a championship")

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUOzcvJ7dLM[/youtube]

what's up with the vids being private, thus unable to view?
schematics
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#110 » by schematics » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:02 am

Calvin Klein wrote:story is here now.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-saturday- ... teammates/

Thanks for article
KB89
Sixth Man
And1: 199

Post#111 » by KB89 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:00 am

I'd imagine Kobe didn't know he was being recorded. When a player goes out of his way to speak at a small classroom I think he has a right to be upset over someone posting videos of what he thought to be a private conversation. That is amazing that you got to see this though. Nothing like this happened during my time in college. Did your teacher tell you to take them down after being contacted by Kobe about them? Or how did that go?

I did meet Karl Malone once, and have videos of our meeting. It was just a one on one conversation between us for like 10 minutes or so, and I know he didn't know we were being recorded, so I chose not to make them public. Selfishly, I'm glad you did though, because I got to see them before you took them down. :D

Cool story though, awesome to see a player speak so openly.
Sig made by me.
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#112 » by Blkbrd671 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:14 am

I would love to sit down and pick kobe's brain, or watch a game and listen to him critique players. i also love how he gives Melo props, Melo is probably next to durant in one of the purest scorer's in the game
Imadogg
Banned User
And1: 250

Post#113 » by Imadogg » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:55 am

RHBullsFan wrote:Imadogg, AWESOME story and thank you for sharing. What an experience. Very cool that nobody asked for his autograph. Honestly, I don't get the whole "autograph" thing myself. After the fact it's just a piece of paper. Pictures with the celeb are much cooler.

I only know about UCSB because of Jim Rome. Did you attend his lecture he did a few months back? He mentioned it on his show in the spring/early summer.

What's it like going to school in paridise? It's insane the piece of land that your university holds, really beautiful.

Any way to get your vids made public again? Would really like to view them.

Again, thanks for sharing

Thanks man. I too don't care for autographs, I love to try to get pics and just talk to them for the memories.

I missed out on Rome :(. Brian Shaw also went to UCSB. It's an amazing school, perfect weather year round, parties every single night, girls everywhere.

And sorry, can't put the videos up again

KB89 wrote:I'd imagine Kobe didn't know he was being recorded. When a player goes out of his way to speak at a small classroom I think he has a right to be upset over someone posting videos of what he thought to be a private conversation. That is amazing that you got to see this though. Nothing like this happened during my time in college. Did your teacher tell you to take them down after being contacted by Kobe about them? Or how did that go?

I did meet Karl Malone once, and have videos of our meeting. It was just a one on one conversation between us for like 10 minutes or so, and I know he didn't know we were being recorded, so I chose not to make them public. Selfishly, I'm glad you did though, because I got to see them before you took them down. :D

Cool story though, awesome to see a player speak so openly.

My professor did tell me to take them down, and I apologized to him and I found Kobe's marketing guy and apologized to him too.

Thing is, the camera was just on my desk, on record.. not hidden or anything. Also, there was a camera crew in the room. So I figured it was ok. But it was my bad and I took the blame and took the videos down asap.

Return to The General Board