Awesome Magic Johnson vid

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

WhateverBro
Head Coach
And1: 1,578

Re: Awesome Magic Johnson vid 

Post#21 » by WhateverBro » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:04 pm

Don Ford wrote:
ninjabelly wrote:
koogiking wrote:And people try to say Lebron is as good a passer SMDH

wut?

He's talking about the people who have said that LeBron is as good of a passer as Magic was. LeBron is an above average passer for a SF, Magic was one of the best passers in NBA history, not much of a comparison imo.

Cool video BTW. One of the things that I noticed was how many bounce passes Magic made. You don't really see as much of that in today's game.

Lol, "above avarage passer for a SF". Come on man, LeBron is one of the best SF passers I've seen..
ennui
General Manager
And1: 955

Post#22 » by ennui » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:17 pm

Lakerfan17 wrote:Here's the difference between Magic and a guy like LeBron.

LeBron will find an open man.

Magic will move the ball to the spot a second before a guy is going to be there and get him the easy basket. Watch game 1 of the 91 Finals for a clinic of his passes. Jordan and Pippen's heads were twirling.

Articulated perfectly.
C'mon, you apes! You wanna live forever?
mid-post
Analyst
And1: 70

Post#23 » by mid-post » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:36 pm

Anyone notice that the video has been sped up ever so slightly in the OP's video? I appreciate the upload, but I don't understand why you would do that, it's distracting as hell.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,149

Post#24 » by tsherkin » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:24 am

WhateverBro wrote:Lol, "above avarage passer for a SF". Come on man, LeBron is one of the best SF passers I've seen..

The only other SFs the league has seen that really qualify are basically Rick Barry, Scottie Pippen, Grant Hill, Drexler at his absolute peak and, of course, the only other passer at the 3 who was legitimately better, Larry Bird.

That's pretty much it, and that is very impressive. Still, as someone else said, Lebron makes very good passes to open players who are opened up by penetration. Magic could, on the break or in the half-court, basically summon a pass out of his hat in just about any situation. Passes no one else would dare make, because he noticed something like which way someone's head was turned. He could notice that and exploit it faster than the dude could turn his head and react so that he fired passes that went slicing THROUGH the key to a guy way on the other side who suddenly found himself dumb-founded and wide open.

That was Magic.

Lebron never does that. No one in the league right now does, really. Magic saw EVERYTHING. Bird was similar in his vision, but not quite in his craft. Excellent passer, very innovative and spontaneous, but Magic was just on another level from everyone. There hasn't been a passer like him since, and certainly wasn't one before. Utterly amazing.
choppermagic
Starter
And1: 846

Post#25 » by choppermagic » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:24 am

Wow. Brings back the memories.

Lebron compared to Magic is a joke. Passing even aside, Magic could post up with impunity and come up big in the finals.

Geez, you can see how Magic ran those plays at full speed down the court. It was devastating to try and defend a running Showtime team with Magic whizzing passes everywhere. And some of those passes that crossed the entire paint area and through defenders, incredible!!
rsavaj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,767

Post#26 » by rsavaj » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:26 am

That's why he's the greatest PG of all time!
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,149

Post#27 » by tsherkin » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:28 am

I could watch Magic highlights all day. Seriously. There was literally no pass he couldn't throw with either hand. Bullet passes from 70-80 feet, bounce passes, behind the backs, shuffle passes, everything. Honestly, it's just stunning to sit there and watch him make everyone look stupid.
semi-sentient
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,609

Post#28 » by semi-sentient » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:38 am

That was awesome. I really miss watching Magic play. :(
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
hourockman
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#29 » by hourockman » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:10 am

mid-post wrote:Anyone notice that the video has been sped up ever so slightly in the OP's video? I appreciate the upload, but I don't understand why you would do that, it's distracting as hell.

I think it's you. Looks fine to me. Maybe you've got your bionic contact lenses on.
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#30 » by Vindicater » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:13 am

Magic/Bird

How amazing is it that both guys played at the same time...
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
kobeaki
Veteran
And1: 6

Post#31 » by kobeaki » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:19 am

Vindicater wrote:Magic/Bird

How amazing is it that both guys played at the same time...

true dat.
ucp.php?i=profile&mode=signature

XuDa wrote:Magic, Bird and the other 80#s HOF'ers were holding the league back and stunting it's development big time.

:lol:
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 8,836

Post#32 » by GrandTheftRondo » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:23 am

I wish I was around to watch Magic and Bird play.
I also wish that we still had some teams that could actually run a fast break like that. Of course you'd need a point guard with Magic Johnson vision to make it happen. Sadly most point guards these days just want to score. That's why I like point guards like Rondo, CP3 and Nash. They don't come close to Magic in terms of passing though. Wow Magic was good.
MarJJMar
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#33 » by MarJJMar » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:34 am

tsherkin wrote:
That's pretty much it, and that is very impressive. Still, as someone else said, Lebron makes very good passes to open players who are opened up by penetration. Magic could, on the break or in the half-court, basically summon a pass out of his hat in just about any situation. Passes no one else would dare make, because he noticed something like which way someone's head was turned. He could notice that and exploit it faster than the dude could turn his head and react so that he fired passes that went slicing THROUGH the key to a guy way on the other side who suddenly found himself dumb-founded and wide open.

That was Magic.

Lebron never does that. No one in the league right now does, really. Magic saw EVERYTHING. Bird was similar in his vision, but not quite in his craft. Excellent passer, very innovative and spontaneous, but Magic was just on another level from everyone. There hasn't been a passer like him since, and certainly wasn't one before. Utterly amazing.

Magic's passing is not on another level from Steve Nash. It's highly argueable between them who was/is the better passer, just take a look at advanced statistics to see how many layups, dunks and close shots Nash assists. Compared to someone like Chris Paul and other PGs who usually get their assists from penetration and passing to teammates for long open jumpers the difference is astronomically high.
MarJJMar
Banned User

Post#34 » by MarJJMar » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:37 am

BigBabyyy wrote:I wish I was around to watch Magic and Bird play.
I also wish that we still had some teams that could actually run a fast break like that. Of course you'd need a point guard with Magic Johnson vision to make it happen. Sadly most point guards these days just want to score. That's why I like point guards like Rondo, CP3 and Nash. They don't come close to Magic in terms of passing though. Wow Magic was good.

The Nash Suns in the last few years were just as good, at times better offensive team inlucding fastbreaks than the showtime Lakers. Showtime was better on the boards thanks to KAJ and the pace in the league was generally much higher so in total they probably got more fastbreaks without looking it up if there are even such stats for the time which I doubt.
But again, saying Steve Nash does not come close to Magic in terms of passing is a joke. Typical legend/myth bonus and underappreciation of current players, but we know Nash has more haters than most stars for whatever reason.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,071

Post#35 » by og15 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:08 pm

MarJJMar wrote:
tsherkin wrote:

That was Magic.

Magic's passing is not on another level from Steve Nash. It's highly argueable between them who was/is the better passer, just take a look at advanced statistics to see how many layups, dunks and close shots Nash assists. Compared to someone like Chris Paul and other PGs who usually get their assists from penetration and passing to teammates for long open jumpers the difference is astronomically high.
This is partially dependent on the teammates one has though, so it's not as simple as just who get's more close/dunk assists.

eg:
Chris Paul
2010/2011
82games: 64 dunk assists, 171 close assists (30.1%)
Hoopdata: 3.1 at rim (31.6%)

2009/2010
82games: 51 dunk assists, 130 close assists (37.7%)
Hoopdata: 3.9 at rim (36.4%)

2008/2009:
82games: 163 dunk assists, 183 close assists (40.1%)
Hoopdata: 4.2 at rim (38.2%)

2007/2008
82games: 161 dunk assists, 205 close assists (39.6%)
Hoopdata: 4.3 at rim (37.1%)

2006/2007
82games: 84 dunks assists, 127 close assists (37.1%)
Hoopdata: 3.2 at rim (36%)

Steve Nash
2010/2011 (no Stoudemire)
82games: 78 dunk assists, 263 close assists (40%)
Hoopdata: 4.8 at rim (42.1%)

2005/2006 (no Stoudemire):
82games: 88 dunk assists, 209 close assists (36%)
Hoopdata: No data

2006/2007
82games: 170 dunk assists, 297 close assists (52.8%)
Hoopdata: 5.9 at rim (50.8%)

2007/2008 (Amare career high PPG and FG%)
82games: 185 dunk assists, 304 close assists (54.8%)
Hoopdata: 5.8 at rim (52.3%)

2008/2009 (Shaq only 59% assisted compared to Marion's 85%, Amare isoing more)
82games: 127 dunk assists, 248 close assists (52.3%)
Hoopdata: 4.7 at rim (48.5%)

2009/2010
82 games: 160 dunk assists, 260 close assists (47.1%)
Hoopdata: 4.9 at rim (44.5%)

Even when we take into account Amare isolating more and being assisted about 10-13% less in his last two years in Phoenix, we still see a difference in Nash assist areas based on what kind of players are around him (as we should). Baron Davis for example has a career high (based on the hoopdata numbers available) at rim% (54.3%) on the short time he was a Clipper this season, and the short time he played with Cleveland (54.0%), that's due to having guys like Blake Griffin and J.J. Hickson (he needs to take less jumpshots at his .347 eFG%) who will get assisted and finish a lot close to the basket.

Deron Williams
2010/2011 (Utah)
82games: 51 dunk assists, 146 close assists (38.4%)
Hoopdata: 3.9 at rim (39.2%)

2009/2010
82games: 99 dunk assists, 285 close assists (48.1%)
Hoopdata: 4.9 at rim (46.7%)

2008/2009
82games: 110 dunk assists, 193 close assists (41.8%)
Hoopdata: 4.5 at rim (42.1%)

2007/2008
82games: 120 dunk assists, 261 close assists (44.2%)
Hoopdata: 4.6 at rim (43.8%)

2006/2007
82games: 58 dunk assists, 265 close assists (43.4%)
Hoopdata: 3.8 at rim (40.9%)

Rajon Rondo
2010/2011
82games: 47 dunk assists, 220 close assists (35.1%)
Hoopdata: 4.6 at rim (41.1%)
(weird numbers here, hoopdata gives him about 91 more at rim assists than his combined close and dunk on 82games)

2009/2010:
82games: 88 dunk assists, 282 close assists (46.6%)
Hoopdata: 4.2 at rim (42.9%)

2008/2009:
82games: 84 dunk assists, 192 close assists (41.9%)
Hoopdata: 3.2 at rim (39.0%)

Nash is very good, but the difference isn't "astronomical" compared to the other PG's, especially when you take out two 20+ PPG high assisted players (2005-2006 without Amare only, later without Marion, and 2010-2011 without either). There are players better than others at creating these shots, but it's also teammate dependent (eg: Paul's huge increase in dunk assists with Chandler, but no great change in overall rim assists b/c Chandler is not much of a scorer, and Okafor dunks less but can score similarly inside with layups etc). And no matter what you do, David West is not going to be majority assisted at the rim because he's a jump-shooter.

The higher at rim assists for Williams and Nash in comparison to Paul and with Rondo in the middle is the difference between David West being assisted 56-57% of the time, and taking 65%+ jumpers and Boozer and Amare being assisted 65-70% of the time and taking an average of about 50% of their shots close to the basket. Then Garnett being a jumpshooter (70%+), but also able to finish off alley-oops etc well at the rim (more so earlier as a Celtic than now), and being assisted much more than a David West (74%+)/

Andre Miller is also quite good at getting assists at the rim, and I think if he could shoot like them and actually warranted being allowed to handle so much he would have similar or better volume than them. Very good alley-oop thrower.

There can be a little difference between faster and slower paced teams also. On a faster paced team you might get 0.2 more APG at the rim due to having more fast break assist opportunities.

All in all though, I think Magic would probably be high up on this list in terms of dunk and close assists both overall and percentage wise. But the guy makes some passes that many people would not really be able to see or want to attempt. Watching highlights of him is just too fun, I have to stop and go back to see what happened on a lot of the passes.
USA
Banned User
And1: 455

Post#36 » by USA » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:23 pm

I miss Showtime and fast break basketball. :(
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#37 » by Vindicater » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:58 pm

USA wrote:I miss Showtime and fast break basketball. :(

Fast break basketball is still here.

No one makes it look as good as the showtime lakers did though :(
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
MarJJMar
Banned User

Post#38 » by MarJJMar » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:17 pm

og15 wrote:This is partially dependent on the teammates one has though, so it's not as simple as just who get's more close/dunk assists.

Steve Nash

Steve Nash 4.8 and he has some of the weakest inside finishers in the league in his lineup with Frye as PF and Dudley and Hill on the wing. Gortat not exactly a rim rocker either.

Btw, how terrible is the defense in that Magic video, it's unreal how often Worthy was wide open on every other play and I am not talking fastbreak just in halfcourt when it is almost a standstill. Most of those passes werent even that hard, just flashy.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#39 » by Kilroy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:29 pm

MarJJMar wrote:
og15 wrote:This is partially dependent on the teammates one has though, so it's not as simple as just who get's more close/dunk assists.

Steve Nash

Steve Nash 4.8 and he has some of the weakest inside finishers in the league in his lineup with Frye as PF and Dudley and Hill on the wing. Gortat not exactly a rim rocker either.

Btw, how terrible is the defense in that Magic video, it's unreal how often Worthy was wide open on every other play. Most of those passes werent even that special, just flashy.

No... Just no...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
druggas
Head Coach
And1: 5,139

Post#40 » by druggas » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:10 pm

MarJJMar wrote:
BigBabyyy wrote:

The Nash Suns in the last few years were just as good, at times better offensive team inlucding fastbreaks than the showtime Lakers. Showtime was better on the boards thanks to KAJ and the pace in the league was generally much higher so in total they probably got more fastbreaks without looking it up if there are even such stats for the time which I doubt.
But again, saying Steve Nash does not come close to Magic in terms of passing is a joke. Typical legend/myth bonus and underappreciation of current players, but we know Nash has more haters than most stars for whatever reason.

This post made me laugh my a** off!

Return to The General Board