Winners/Losers of new CBA

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

dafunky1
Lead Assistant
And1: 258

Re: Winners/Losers of new CBA 

Post#21 » by dafunky1 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:41 pm

I dont understand why folks look to the Bulls as some middling managed team that cannot afford to pay the tax if need be.As much money as that operation made over the years,I wouldnt see why they couldnt pay the tax.regardless.Now I dont expect the Bulls to spend like crazy,It would have to be a wise expenditure tho.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#22 » by SacKingZZZ » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:47 pm

Bat wrote:Small market teams lost.

The fact that every team is going to have a decent MLE every year is going to make it hard to attract FA's

Not true, the tax teams MLE is about half what non-tax teams can offer. That's huge since this whole debate was about that issue.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,526

Post#23 » by sp6r=underrated » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:03 am

Winners: every NBA owner
Losers: every NBA player
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 28

Post#24 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:22 am

BH8 wrote:
DanTown8587 wrote:Per Woj, Rose's max is only 25% so a five year deal will start at a little under 15 million with smaller raises than before. However you want to slice this, the Bulls are a winner in this CBA.

NBA twitter corrected Woj. Rose's max will start at 30% - that's a major blow to the Bulls.

Not only that - Rose is ONLY rookie to quality. Criteria is winning an MVP or being voted twice as a starter to All Star game. Only Rose qualifies among Rookies eligible this season.
The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.
- -- Chinese proverb
JES12
RealGM
And1: 122

Post#25 » by JES12 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:25 am

Losers Dallas
We are far enough under the tax to be in the "choose btwn re-signing Chandler or use a MLE, but not both" catagory.
We are not under the cap to place bids on players amnestied.

All those teams with current free agents and near 65 mil are just as screwed
Elden Payton
RealGM
And1: 2,591

Post#26 » by Elden Payton » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:18 am

EscapoTHB wrote:Losers:
Michael Jordan--His brand is tarnished, AND there is a season for a team he apparently can't afford to horribly mismanage.

:lol:

How is Brand Jordan tarnished?? because Nick Young won't wear Jordan??

At the end of the day Michael Jordan is still Michael Jordan the GOAT & his stranglehold on the basketball apparel market won't change, people forget that Brand Jordan is in fact Nike who are filthy rich, Jordan's cheque is guaranteed.

Also if the season didn't go ahead the Bobcats rebuilding would be in trouble, if the draft order was by previous results on average then Charlotte would have drafted around #12, now the season is going ahead they are basically a lock for a top 4 pick.

Please get your facts straight.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#27 » by TheNewEra » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:32 am

I very intrigued by the in the spending increase that will be forced onto teams I know few teams being were in the cold area of 75% o cap spent but 85% and eventually 90% seems huge. Doesn't that in some way kill most of the profit the small market or tight spending teams were holding out for in the first place?

I mean am I missing something owners said they were losing money and system is broken yet new system will force owners to spend 10% and later 15% more than they originally had to.
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#28 » by turk3d » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:39 am

TheNewEra wrote:I very intrigued by the in the spending increase that will be forced onto teams I know few teams being were in the cold area of 75% o cap spent but 85% and eventually 90% seems huge. Doesn't that in some way kill most of the profit the small market or tight spending teams were holding out for in the first place?

I mean am I missing something owners said they were losing money and system is broken yet new system will force owners to spend 10% and later 15% more than they originally had to.

I think that's a big victory for the players and TBH I'm quite surprised that the owners would agree to this. This to me more of a big negative to the small market teams. Now they can't even just not spend (one way to say money is to keep contracts down) as they could be forced to spend 90% of their cap space, regardless of what players might be available.

Not spending is one of the ways that smaller market teams are able to survive in baseball (with no cap) by having very low payroll. I really think that this is pretty stupid but they want to keep parity, well which teams do you think are going to get the cream of the crop when it comes to FAgency? Same as it's always been.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
HtownPA
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#29 » by HtownPA » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:47 am

Losers:
Clippers - 30% max salary for Griffin, if he gets 2 All-NBA appearances
Thunder - 30% max salary for Westbrook, if gets 1 more All-NBA appearance
gold_leader64 wrote:Come back to me at the end of the season when the kings are in the lottery again and tell me it's not a big deal.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1147301&start=120#p29639980
HtownPA
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#30 » by HtownPA » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:57 am

turk3d wrote:I think that's a big victory for the players and TBH I'm quite surprised that the owners would agree to this. This to me more of a big negative to the small market teams. Now they can't even just not spend (one way to say money is to keep contracts down) as they could be forced to spend 90% of their cap space, regardless of what players might be available.

Not spending is one of the ways that smaller market teams are able to survive in baseball (with no cap) by having very low payroll. I really think that this is pretty stupid but they want to keep parity, well which teams do you think are going to get the cream of the crop when it comes to FAgency? Same as it's always been.

The 85% rule would have only affected the Sacramento Kings, last season. They would have had to increase their salary by $4.5 million. It's not a make or break for the owners, except for the Maloofs.
gold_leader64 wrote:Come back to me at the end of the season when the kings are in the lottery again and tell me it's not a big deal.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1147301&start=120#p29639980
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,760

Post#31 » by jc23 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:11 am

BH8 wrote:
Courtside wrote:
BH8 wrote:Bulls - 30% max salary for Rose.

Yes and no. He will cost them more, but the chances that he wants to leave for a lower tax, warm weather team are reduced.

I don't think he was leaving right now anyway, but the 30% virtually guarantees that he'll get very little help.

I would say the extra 3-4 million(a season) on the Bulls books makes it more difficult to upgrade (as it would any team), but to say it guarantees they will not be able to make quality improvements is a bit premature.

Maybe they will not jump head first into the luxury tax pool (like miami, LA, Dal and NY) but I am confident they will get their feet wet.

--Another winner of this CBA is the players that get amnesty and are then able to go to title winning teams there after. They get their cake and get to eat it too.
Be curious, Not judgmental

Return to The General Board