Marcus Thornton

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

ColeWorld
Banned User
And1: 0

Marcus Thornton 

Post#1 » by ColeWorld » Tue Dec 6, 2011 7:27 pm

FIRST OF ALL BEFORE I BEGIN TO GET INTO MY DISCUSSION I AM NOT IN ANY WAY SUGGESTING THE RAPTORS SHOULD ACQUIRE MARCUS THORNTON.

Now since that is out of the way lets begin:

I havent really seen his name arond the board but I would like to just get your guys opinion on him. I believer he could become a possible allstar. From just observing his numbers in the second half on SAC they seem pretty decent to me.

In 27 games played with SAC last season and 23 started his averages were:
MPG:38.1
FG%: 45%
3P%: 36%
FT%: 80%
PPG: 21.2
APG: 3.4
RPG: 4.7
SPG: 1.7

Could this guy be potentially among lets say top 10 or top 5 SGs in the league in the coming years? Or were his numbers skewed because of the system he played in over SAC.

What do you guys think?
plainballing
Head Coach
And1: 1,590

Re: Marcus Thornton 

Post#2 » by plainballing » Tue Dec 6, 2011 7:32 pm

Smart that you state no signing or anything before the storm came.

I don't see Thornton as top SG...while he played very well, he need to average those stats without Evans and Cousins before he's in discussion of top SG.

Now if only that Demar can shoot as well as Thornton...
http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx144/lillehammer/Turbo_Zone_Little_Ozzy_Davis.jpg
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,566

Post#3 » by DreamTeam09 » Tue Dec 6, 2011 7:35 pm

If your team is good enough to give marcus thronton 30mins a night, then yes he could put up some good #s.

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,684

Post#4 » by Johnny Firpo » Tue Dec 6, 2011 7:48 pm

I'm not buying this guy yet. He strikes me as a player who puts up empty stats, i think Sacramento would be better off playing him as the 6th man. I really wanna see how a Jimmer-Tyreke backcourt can work.
Cruel_Ruin
Head Coach
And1: 767
Location: The intersection of intellect, imagination and insanity

Post#5 » by Cruel_Ruin » Tue Dec 6, 2011 7:49 pm

Thornton is an animal. I loved watching the guy play. You might think he's just a shooter but he's got a nasty game off the dribble. Plus he's super clutch, he won games with his shooting several times last season. Just a super explosive scorer who makes an impact on the boards. Not much of a playmaker for others but very proficient at creating his own shot.

Top 5 shooting guard? Definitely not. He's a poor mans Mitch Richmond, who was my favorite player growing up.
thenew_momo124
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#6 » by thenew_momo124 » Tue Dec 6, 2011 7:58 pm

he was and still is my favourite player back from the nola days but when montay williams decided to bench him for no reason and trade him away, i knew the team wasn't going anywhere. Still i love watching him play, i think the kings would be able to trade him for taj gibson.
ADoaN17
Lead Assistant
And1: 312

Post#7 » by ADoaN17 » Tue Dec 6, 2011 7:59 pm

MT took over games in the 4th last year. He had a few game clinching shots and some game winners. He didn't just play well in Sacramento, his rookie year in NO he put up about 15 for the year. The last three months he was averaging about 20 points a game. He is a great spot up shooter and can create his shot. I think he is a bit underrated but I don't think he will be a top SG on the Kings.
BLKMASS
Banned User
And1: 124

Post#8 » by BLKMASS » Tue Dec 6, 2011 7:59 pm

plainballing wrote:Smart that you state no signing or anything before the storm came.

I don't see Thornton as top SG...while he played very well, he need to average those stats without Evans and Cousins before he's in discussion of top SG.

I'm pretty sure he did average those stats without those two. Evans was out with an injury and Cousins missed a few games as well.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,446

Post#9 » by KF10 » Tue Dec 6, 2011 8:04 pm

Part of the reason why Kings fans love Thornton is that he was super clutch last season. He bailed the Kings out so many times. Hitting shot after shot, keeping the Kings alive in the last couple of minutes of play and winning games too.

He is a really talented scorer. Dude is explosive in terms of instant offense. His defense concerns were way over blown. He was pretty decent. I would say that he is a better team defender than a man defender though imo.
ADoaN17
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by ADoaN17 » Tue Dec 6, 2011 8:06 pm

BLKMASS wrote:
plainballing wrote:Smart that you state no signing or anything before the storm came.

I'm pretty sure he did average those stats without those two. Evans was out with an injury and Cousins missed a few games as well.

Thornton averaged 23 points when Tyreke was out but Cousins never missed a game.

When the Kings got Marcus, they actually became a .500 team.
Muggsy Bogues
Assistant Coach
And1: 288

Post#11 » by Muggsy Bogues » Tue Dec 6, 2011 8:10 pm

I usually can't stand it when Kings fans talk about their players, because they end up overrating them, but this guy may be an exception. He's a good scorer and has the sort of mentality that helps win game late.
Illogicality
Bench Warmer
And1: 210

Post#12 » by Illogicality » Tue Dec 6, 2011 8:10 pm

Is there enough ball to keep everyone happy on that team? Seems like a lot of selfish players.

Reke
Cousins
Thornton
Salmons
Jimmer
beerbrewer
Junior
And1: 65

Post#13 » by beerbrewer » Tue Dec 6, 2011 8:14 pm

Johnny Firpo wrote:I'm not buying this guy yet. He strikes me as a player who puts up empty stats, i think Sacramento would be better off playing him as the 6th man. I really wanna see how a Jimmer-Tyreke backcourt can work.

This post reeks of someone who has not spent much time watching Thornton. Empty stats? Yeah, game winning shots are empty stats bro. Smh.
Never argue with stupid people! They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!! - Twain
thenew_momo124
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#14 » by thenew_momo124 » Tue Dec 6, 2011 8:36 pm

Illogicality wrote:Is there enough ball to keep everyone happy on that team? Seems like a lot of selfish players.

Reke
Cousins
Thornton
Salmons
Jimmer

you forgot jj hickson, and for real sactown is like a talent mine they should really be open to trading some of there players they could get some sick deals.
ADoaN17
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by ADoaN17 » Tue Dec 6, 2011 9:16 pm

thenew_momo124 wrote:
Illogicality wrote:Is there enough ball to keep everyone happy on that team? Seems like a lot of selfish players.

Reke
Cousins
Thornton
Salmons
Jimmer

you forgot jj hickson, and for real sactown is like a talent mine they should really be open to trading some of there players they could get some sick deals.

and they are trying to add more talent through FA. Just stacking up.
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,632

Post#16 » by C_Money » Tue Dec 6, 2011 11:32 pm

I watched more Kings games late last year then I ever have in my life and it was all to see Marcus Thornton. He's gotta be one of the most exciting players in the league.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#17 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Dec 6, 2011 11:48 pm

This guy has KAHN written all over him
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,684

Post#18 » by Johnny Firpo » Tue Dec 6, 2011 11:53 pm

beerbrewer wrote:This post reeks of someone who has not spent much time watching Thornton. Empty stats? Yeah, game winning shots are empty stats bro. Smh.

Hope his helps: I think Carmelo is a guy who's putting up empty stats, and he has lot of game winners, and he's a really clutch player. Obviously, i'm not saying they're on the same level, but i hope you get what i'm trying to say. Being clutch doesn't mean you're a real impact player. Derek Fisher is very clutch, yet every other Lakers fan basically hates him now. Until Thornton keeps posting below league average scoring efficiency, it's hard to take him seriously. He's undersized, not a very good defender, not a very good passer, he has 6th man written all over him.
Ruhiel
Lead Assistant
And1: 45

Post#19 » by Ruhiel » Tue Dec 6, 2011 11:56 pm

DEN please.
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#20 » by Winsome Gerbil » Wed Dec 7, 2011 12:20 am

I've been occasionally putting this guy's name out this offseason because I saw him a number of times late in the year and he looked GREAT. Empty stats my patoot. I had bought into that line of argument after the rookie year explosion, but when I caught him with the Kings he was anything but. What impressed me is that he wasn't just a selfish long range chucker like I'd been led to beleive. He was slashing to the hoop hard, posting guys up, skying inside for rebounds amongst the trees. Made some slick passes on the break too. He looked very legit in putting up those numbers and I've got a feeling a lot of people sleeping on this guy won't be by the end of this year. Just an inexplicable and potentially CP3 costing move by the Hornets benching him for Marco bleeping Bellinelli and then trading him away for a David West minime clone.

Return to The General Board