BREAKING: Jeff Green to miss season due to heart surgery

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

GYBE
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 358

Re: BREAKING: Jeff Green to miss season due to heart surgery 

Post#61 » by GYBE » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:16 pm

fallacy wrote:
KGboss wrote:
fallacy wrote:
I don't think they will. Someone will offer a 4/32 contract and Boston will probably let him go.

You really think someone will offer that much to a guy just coming off heart surgery? Also, you seem to foreget that we have A LOT of contracts coming off the books in the off season and Boston can offer him the same money if they wanted to.

David West. People give tons of money to injured players

Who is coming off the books for Boston?

He got a 2 year deal as a former All-Star coming off a very common ACL surgery.

Green was never as good, has a much scarier ailment and you think he's getting 4 years before he plays a game?

Ronny Turiaf signed a $1.5 million deal over two years after his heart scare. After he proved he was healthy, he got a better deal with GS. Green may get a little more, but teams need to see him play before they drop real money on him.

The other piece the Celtics acquired in the trade (Clippers pick) is less valuable now as well, after the CP3 deal. Sigh.

I hope Jeff has a full recovery and is able to get his career back on track. Always seemed like a nice guy back to his Hoya days.
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 11,935

Post#62 » by Effigy » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:28 pm

Poor Jeff. Probably regretting turning down that extension OKC offered him. He doesn't deserve this though. Hope he gets healthy soon.
Effigy
RealGM

Post#63 » by Effigy » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:30 pm

Very low class of the Celtics to void his deal though. The guy played for you last year, you had plenty of time to have doctors discover his condition before you re-signed. Now you just cut your losses, and keep your rights to him? Win/Win for the Celtics, lose/lose for Green. Dispicable.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#64 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:35 pm

fallacy wrote:David West. People give tons of money to injured players

Allen and KG

I'm almost certain that KG retires after this season on that note. Just seems like his and Duncan's time after that. Part of me wonders if he'd be playing this season if it didn't mean leaving 21 million divided by 66 of salary on the table.

Apparantley Shaq said in his book (reinterated by Bill Simmons, so two degrees of take it with a pinch of salt) that Garnett was in all kinds of pain playing through last season. If true, after a compressed schedule and playoffs I'd be surprised if he didn't hang them up after "1 more year" w/ Allen's tenure with the Celtics probably being over then too via FA or retirement - and I wouldn't be shocked at all if KG doesn't make it through this compressed schedule without breaking down
Colossus
Rookie
And1: 108

Post#65 » by Colossus » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:41 pm

Effigy wrote:Very low class of the Celtics to void his deal though. The guy played for you last year, you had plenty of time to have doctors discover his condition before you re-signed. Now you just cut your losses, and keep your rights to him? Win/Win for the Celtics, lose/lose for Green. Dispicable.

Seriously? $9 million is a LOT of money just to give for sympathy and thanks.
Effigy
RealGM

Post#66 » by Effigy » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:51 pm

Colossus wrote:
Effigy wrote:Very low class of the Celtics to void his deal though. The guy played for you last year, you had plenty of time to have doctors discover his condition before you re-signed. Now you just cut your losses, and keep your rights to him? Win/Win for the Celtics, lose/lose for Green. Dispicable.

Then maybe they should have caught that last season when he was under contract, or this off season before signing him. To sign him, then void it because they didn't do their due dilligence is garbage.
Shot Clock
RealGM
And1: 17,443

Post#67 » by Shot Clock » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:57 pm

Maybe it wasn't detectable last season. Maybe it's not even something they normally screen for.
anyone involved in that meddling to justice”. NO COLLUSION

- DJT
Jeremy Lin 7
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,252

Post#68 » by Jeremy Lin 7 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:58 pm

Damn, hope he gets healthy soon. You can't screw around with heart issues.
Effigy
RealGM

Post#69 » by Effigy » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:00 pm

I'm surprised they're allowed to void it. Is it because it's technically a pre-existing condition even though nobody knew about it?
fallacy
RealGM
And1: 607

Post#70 » by fallacy » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:05 pm

Dr Mufasa wrote:
fallacy wrote:David West. People give tons of money to injured players

Allen and KG

I'm almost certain that KG retires after this season on that note. Just seems like his and Duncan's time after that. Part of me wonders if he'd be playing this season if it didn't mean leaving 21 million divided by 66 of salary on the table.

Apparantley Shaq said in his book (reinterated by Bill Simmons, so two degrees of take it with a pinch of salt) that Garnett was in all kinds of pain playing through last season. If true, after a compressed schedule and playoffs I'd be surprised if he didn't hang them up after "1 more year" w/ Allen's tenure with the Celtics probably being over then too via FA or retirement - and I wouldn't be shocked at all if KG doesn't make it through this compressed schedule without breaking down

If both of those do leave/retire I would think that Green would be re-signed.
**** Ron Artest
**** Marco Belinelli
Stephen Jackson aint bout dis lyfe
Patrick Beverly deserves to have his knee ripped to pieces
Geoffrey P
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 521

Post#71 » by Geoffrey P » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:16 pm

Low class to void his deal because he could very much die with such a condition? You're out of your mind. Yea I'm pretty sure Green could understand, being his condition could become serious.

I think it's clearly something they don't check for very often because then you could say why didn't the Thunder catch it?
ChampionRed
Assistant Coach
And1: 881

Post#72 » by ChampionRed » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:24 pm

Thank God they found it early. Get will soon Jeff.
basketball royalty
RealGM
And1: 2,963

Post#73 » by basketball royalty » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:31 pm

I also think its bs that they can void the deal like that, especially if they still retain his rights. I would hope that they have to still pay him some sort of medical insurance or something,
props to Turbozone for the sig
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#74 » by Nolan » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:39 pm

LanFill wrote:Life is a lot bigger than basketball. I'm glad he's in a position to get the care he needs. Hopefully he can make a full recovery and live a long, healthy life.

Well said.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
Alan Ogg
Senior
And1: 39

Post#75 » by Alan Ogg » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:43 pm

basketball royalty wrote:I also think its bs that they can void the deal like that, especially if they still retain his rights. I would hope that they have to still pay him some sort of medical insurance or something,

I'm pretty sure the Celtics will be helping him out, regardless of the voided contract.
junot111
General Manager
And1: 2,817

Post#76 » by junot111 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:55 pm

Colossus wrote:

Agreed.... this isn't a charity NBA players make enough money, giving away $9 million for a player that's not even your franchise player is quite stupid to say the least
Ditchweed
Starter
And1: 89

Post#77 » by Ditchweed » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:00 pm

If you read up on it, it certainly sounds career ending, especially with the heart stress from playing basketball at full pace.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,049

Post#78 » by slick_watts » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:11 pm

Jeff Green is a genuinely awesome person. Sucks that he has to go through this but he'll have the support of a lot of fans, players, family, etc. Hope he can return next season and resume his career.
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,684

Post#79 » by Johnny Firpo » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:17 pm

I feel sorry for Jeff, and wish him the best, hopefully he's on his way to a full recovery.
Wavy Q
RealGM
And1: 2,390

Post#80 » by Wavy Q » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:29 pm

It's good they caught it, anyeurisms can kill at random times. Best wishes for Jeff.

Return to The General Board