BREAKING: Jeff Green to miss season due to heart surgery

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

celtics543
Analyst
And1: 3,078

Re: BREAKING: Jeff Green to miss season due to heart surgery 

Post#81 » by celtics543 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:31 pm

The Celtics are obviously going to pay his medical bills and help him get through this. Ainge actually went with him to get the second opinion in Cleveland. I think Ainge and Doc care a lot about Jeff Green from a personal standpoint, and will definitely make sure he's taken care of. Don't forget, Jeff played with Doc's son at Georgetown for a couple years.

On the more important topic though, my prayers are with Jeff Green and his family and friends. He seems like a good guy, and hopefully this is just a minor setback for him. From what I've read Turiaf had basically the same surgery and he appears to have recovered pretty well.
crosko42
Starter
And1: 681

Post#82 » by crosko42 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:34 pm

First off, hopefully Jeff can make a full recovery and return in the near future. As a celtics fan I saw flashes of what he could bring as a two way player at the SF position. I think he will work hard, and health permitting, he will be back better than ever.

Now, to those of you talking about voiding the contract:

1) The physical was failed, regardless of the nature of the injury, its like saying a player who is signed with any unknown injury should receive their full deal. If someone went to sign a player and found out during the physical they had a problem with their knee, the contract would be voided also. If this was a 5 year for 60 million deal would you all be saying the same thing?

2) It's 9 million out of Green's pocket, but its 18 million back into the celtics pocket considering they are in the tax.

3)People saying its low life/class to void the deal need to remember how much money Jeff has made, it's not like he came in undrafted and made 500k last year and is looking for his first pay day, he made: $4,455,988 last year and his rookie deal in year one started over 3 million, he is set financially assuming he managed his money correctly.

Also, this post was made in the thread on the celtics board:

Captain_Caveman wrote:Bucher sheds light on the voided situation:

http://twitter.com/RicBucher

RicBucher Ric Bucher
For those interpreting voided contract as cold: Cs still want him around team, still very much in their plans. As they say: it's a business.
3 hours ago

Ric Bucher
RicBucher Ric Bucher
Source gives 2nd reason for voiding deal: Celtics retain him as RFA. If contract stands, costs Boston $9m and he's UFA next summer.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#83 » by DEEP3CL » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:35 pm

Effigy wrote:Very low class of the Celtics to void his deal though. The guy played for you last year, you had plenty of time to have doctors discover his condition before you re-signed. Now you just cut your losses, and keep your rights to him? Win/Win for the Celtics, lose/lose for Green. Dispicable.
No it's not, it's a business formality and protects the Celtics. The Lakers did the same thing with Ronny Turiaf. They voided his deal, but paid all his medical expenses. Once he rehabbed and got healthy, the Lakers gave him another contract.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
Point forward
Head Coach
And1: 285

Post#84 » by Point forward » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:35 pm

Get well soon Jeff :( and do a Turiaf :D

In any case, life >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NBA
Jogi Löw to Mario Götze wrote:Show the world that you are better than Messi.
Pomme
Pro Prospect
And1: 7

Post#85 » by Pomme » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:00 pm

get well jeff.

i am sure he is more concerned about his health than any money lost here. best of luck.
Brooklyn_34
Sixth Man
And1: 209

Post#86 » by Brooklyn_34 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:38 pm

What he suffers from is quite serious...

Fortunately, they caught it in time. That is life-threatening--aneurysms can kill you at any moment.

Hopefully, he will have surgery IMMEDIATELY and make the appropriate lifestyle changes and live a healthy life.
bruddahmanmatt
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#87 » by bruddahmanmatt » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:51 am

Effigy wrote:
Colossus wrote:
Effigy wrote:Very low class of the Celtics to void his deal though. The guy played for you last year, you had plenty of time to have doctors discover his condition before you re-signed. Now you just cut your losses, and keep your rights to him? Win/Win for the Celtics, lose/lose for Green. Dispicable.

Seriously? $9 million is a LOT of money just to give for sympathy and thanks.

Then maybe they should have caught that last season when he was under contract, or this off season before signing him. To sign him, then void it because they didn't do their due dilligence is garbage.

Most contracts are contingent upon passing a physical, it's just that sometimes the deals are inked first if teams need to move quickly with regards to trades/personnel moves. The Lakers voided Ronny's contract when he was diagnosed but they were at least classy enough to pick up all of his medical bills. I'm hoping Boston at least does the same for Green here.
Hunter103
Assistant Coach
And1: 93

Post#88 » by Hunter103 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:01 am

Damn, you don't want to wish this on anyone. He's lucky they caught it in time.

C's are a class organization, I'd expect they'll pick up the medical tab at least.
Hawaii
Pro Prospect
And1: 21

Post#89 » by Hawaii » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:55 am

Wow, I'm sorry to hear this. I was looking forward to Green getting a bigger role on the Celts this year. Hope he gets better and back on the court.
KGboss
RealGM
And1: 10,097

Post#90 » by KGboss » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:21 am

Hunter103 wrote:Damn, you don't want to wish this on anyone. He's lucky they caught it in time.

C's are a class organization, I'd expect they'll pick up the medical tab at least.

I am sure they will be doing a lot more than that. I have been reading that the team will be around him through this whole process and I wouldn't put it past them to help him out through the year. The team and the players and the fans will all support him through what he is going through, on top of the money that he has already made throughout his career. He will be okay and come back and play ball again, I am sure of it.
BigBaller
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#91 » by BigBaller » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:59 am

I wish for speedy recovery for Jeff Green.
Chris435
Starter
And1: 58

Post#92 » by Chris435 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:05 am

heart surgery... i wish him the best. How many players come back from heart conditions?
JamesNaismith
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#93 » by JamesNaismith » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:14 am

I haven't really heard of too many players coming back to play professionally from heart surgery. I can't imagine how scary that must feel to go under the knife for that. Pray all the best for the guy.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#94 » by Kilroy » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:03 am

Ronny Turiaf...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...

Return to The General Board