Stein: Nuggets to sign Afflalo for 5 yrs, $43M

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,577

Re: Stein: Nuggets to sign Afflalo for 5 yrs, $43M 

Post#121 » by MemphisX » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:26 am

This is a terrible deal. The problem with the "had to pay" argument is that you didn't. Aaron Afflalo is not a a make or break player. Role playing wings are picked off the scrap heap every season.

So now what do you pay Gallinari after this contract?
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
Nuggets_Talk
Head Coach
And1: 2,296

Post#122 » by Nuggets_Talk » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:27 am

Heaven101 wrote:
coldgrip1 wrote:Man... Affalo is an excellent defender but he cannot create offense for himself or others. Not worth 8,9 mil a year IMO. But he's still young and can improve his playmaking.

Exactly what I was thinking, J.Richardson and R.Hamilton must be wondering why they are getting paid 5 mil why a unproven young SG is getting paid almost twice as they are. I think the reasonable pay days of past is history now, this new generation of players are getting paid for being young and having potential instead of being paid for what they could do and have done out there. Just to a few example : D.Jordan(LAC)(5 yr/43 mil) , M.Gasol ( max contract) etc. I guess just being younger nowadays is a reasonable element for a big pay check as well.

how many GMs would rather have rip than AA right now?
Nuggets_Talk
Head Coach
And1: 2,296

Post#123 » by Nuggets_Talk » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:28 am

MemphisX wrote:This is a terrible deal. The problem with the "had to pay" argument is that you didn't. Aaron Afflalo is not a a make or break player. Role playing wings are picked off the scrap heap every season.

how much was AA worth?
Heaven101
Junior
And1: 0

Post#124 » by Heaven101 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:31 am

WestSideChamp wrote:over payed for him.

He is a hard worker, so I'm glad to see hard workers get paid for their effort

Alot of hard workers are getting paid $7.50 an hr out there everyday while working their ass off, hard working does not neccessarily equate to basketball value in the nba. I guess alot of players getting paid vet min. are working as hard as well, i don't see them complaining, overpay is overpay the 3rd best SG Monta Ellis (Arguably) is getting paid 11 mil a year, so basically for 2 mil more you can net the 3rd best SG in the league, Do you seriously believe at this point of their career the gap between Monta and Affalo is only 2 mil ? (Monta is only 26 btw as well)
nugzin2040
Sixth Man
And1: 8

Post#125 » by nugzin2040 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:51 am

1. It wasn't like Denver had the choice of paying Ellis or paying Afflalo.

2. Ellis, as a shooting guard, is at best a below average defender. He probably would play better if he was exclusively playing PG.

3. With that said, dunno why a point guard in Ellis would be compared to Afflalo, but if I had a choice of Afflalo as my starting shooting guard at $8.5 million or Ellis as my shooting guard at $11 million, I'd pick Afflalo.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,577

Post#126 » by MemphisX » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:04 am

Nuggets_Talk wrote:
MemphisX wrote:This is a terrible deal. The problem with the "had to pay" argument is that you didn't. Aaron Afflalo is not a a make or break player. Role playing wings are picked off the scrap heap every season.

how much was AA worth?

Less than the MLE. So they paid him almost twice as much as he is worth.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
coldgrip1
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#127 » by coldgrip1 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:38 am

nugzin2040 wrote:1. It wasn't like Denver had the choice of paying Ellis or paying Afflalo.

2. Ellis, as a shooting guard, is at best a below average defender. He probably would play better if he was exclusively playing PG.

3. With that said, dunno why a point guard in Ellis would be compared to Afflalo, but if I had a choice of Afflalo as my starting shooting guard at $8.5 million or Ellis as my shooting guard at $11 million, I'd pick Afflalo.

Your assessment is not way left field because on certain rosters Affalo can be a better fit. However, refusing to compare Ellis to Affalo because Ellis can play PG is nonsense. Ellis has played SG in the NBA his whole career and averaged 24ppg, 6 assists, 4 rebounds, and over 2 steals last year. Affalo averaged 13/4/3. Even with Affalo's edge in defense, you can't dismiss the gap in those numbers IMO.
Elden Payton
RealGM
And1: 2,591

Post#128 » by Elden Payton » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:51 am

nugzin2040 wrote:1. It wasn't like Denver had the choice of paying Ellis or paying Afflalo.

Honestly would you do that??

Ellis>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Afflalo
DaFan334
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,333

Post#129 » by DaFan334 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:32 am

Amazed how uneducated so many posters are here still. If you're going to compare players using points per game, your posts are completely worthless and uneducated. Take a look at efficiency stats and maybe I'll read your post.
eslr
Assistant Coach
And1: 25

Post#130 » by eslr » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:25 pm

Sik Infant wrote:

Honestly would you do that??

Ellis>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Afflalo
Honestly I wouldnt want ellis anywhere near my team.
Ming Kong!
RealGM
And1: 31

Post#131 » by Ming Kong! » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:53 pm

DaFan334 wrote:Amazed how uneducated so many posters are here still. If you're going to compare players using points per game, your posts are completely worthless and uneducated. Take a look at efficiency stats and maybe I'll read your post.

So using PPG is completely worthless, but advanced stats say it all? I'd say you have a bit of a biased. The point is this, you can't pay a player between 1/7 and 1/8th your cap when he's a bench player, simply because you need to fill out a 12 man roster with so much money. A MAX superstar demands about 3/10th of your cap. You already have Nene getting paid 13.4M/yr (~23.1% of the cap) and he's not even an all-star! You got 50% of your CAP reserved to Nene, Affalo, Harrington and Anderson. Not a franchise player amongst them.
EddieJonesFan
Starter
And1: 438

Post#132 » by EddieJonesFan » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:55 pm

Very rarely do teams actually not regret contracts like these.
devv83
Sixth Man
And1: 108

Re: Re: Stein: Nuggets to sign Afflalo for 5 yrs, $43M 

Post#133 » by devv83 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:00 pm

Manimal wrote:
devv83 wrote:Manimal is lying in this thread

That game that he posted where he said Affalo single handedly willed his team to victory is a game where Melo had 42 including the three pointer with like 40 seconds left to put them down one.

Yeah affalo hit the game winner. He hit one game winner not a few

Stop lying :lol:

Huh? Afflalo scored 13 of the Nuggets final 17 points in that game, 19 overall in the 4th quater, and 24 total. Melo committed three stupid fouls, plus a turnover, in the final 4 minutes and fouled out.

He also had a similar performance against Utah, which I'm sure you didn't see, because you followed Carmelo to NY...huh?

It's just ridiculous what some of you guys will say. Melo scored 42 including the three that got them down from four to 1. You said affiliate single handedly won that game for them, completely disregarding Melo's performance. What's funny is in the post game performance aaa said we wouldn't have been in the game if it wasn't for melo. Since melo has left I have heard that Nene was better and more important, affalo was more important, melo had no hand in getting the Nuggets to the WCF. I even heard someone say danthay Jones was more important.

I gotta speak up. It's getting ridiculous.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
eslr
Assistant Coach
And1: 25

Post#134 » by eslr » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:03 pm

Ming Kong! wrote:
DaFan334 wrote:Amazed how uneducated so many posters are here still. If you're going to compare players using points per game, your posts are completely worthless and uneducated. Take a look at efficiency stats and maybe I'll read your post.

The point is this, you can't pay a player between 1/7 and 1/8th your cap when he's a bench player, simply because you need to fill out a 12 man roster with so much money.

People really need to get over this bench-player malarky. He's been a starter for 2 years running.
nugzin2040
Sixth Man

Post#135 » by nugzin2040 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:05 pm

coldgrip1 wrote:Your assessment is not way left field because on certain rosters Affalo can be a better fit. However, refusing to compare Ellis to Affalo because Ellis can play PG is nonsense. Ellis has played SG in the NBA his whole career and averaged 24ppg, 6 assists, 4 rebounds, and over 2 steals last year. Affalo averaged 13/4/3. Even with Affalo's edge in defense, you can't dismiss the gap in those numbers IMO.

I agree that Ellis is a very dynamic scorer. Still, he's a player that simply can't or won't play good defense as a shooting guard consistently in this league. Some experts regard him as one of the worst defenders at the position. In addition, I think it's obvious that he doesn't want to play shooting guard either. It's a matter of time before he's traded, because it's not a good fit with Stephen Curry also on the team.

I'm just not content with one of my star players having a lukewarm commitment to defense. Think that type of effort is contagious on the rest of the team as well. Again, not really all Ellis's fault. It's the Warriors fault for drafting another point guard when they already had a good one. If they wanted Curry, they should have dealt Ellis.
Jan_Sobieski
Banned User
And1: 12

Post#136 » by Jan_Sobieski » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:10 pm

Ellis be one of those gang sign making jersey poppin' showboat types. I take Affalo, he be clean and cut.
nugzin2040
Sixth Man

Re: Re: Stein: Nuggets to sign Afflalo for 5 yrs, $43M 

Post#137 » by nugzin2040 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:13 pm

devv83 wrote:
It's just ridiculous what some of you guys will say. Melo scored 42 including the three that got them down from four to 1. You said affiliate single handedly won that game for them, completely disregarding Melo's performance. What's funny is in the post game performance aaa said we wouldn't have been in the game if it wasn't for melo. Since melo has left I have heard that Nene was better and more important, affalo was more important, melo had no hand in getting the Nuggets to the WCF. I even heard someone say danthay Jones was more important.

I gotta speak up. It's getting ridiculous.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

It probably would be more accurate to say Afflalo carried the Nuggets in the 4th quarter (17-6 in 4th quarter scoring if you want to compare the two).
Jheri Curl
Rookie
And1: 168

Post#138 » by Jheri Curl » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:15 pm

eslr wrote:
Ming Kong! wrote:

The point is this, you can't pay a player between 1/7 and 1/8th your cap when he's a bench player, simply because you need to fill out a 12 man roster with so much money.

People really need to get over this bench-player malarky. He's been a starter for 2 years running.

That still doesn't justify his contract. Afflalo is a good player, but he is not worth $43 Million.
panthermark
RealGM
And1: 3,512

Post#139 » by panthermark » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:19 pm

I really like Afflalo....
But I don't like this deal.

It reminds me of what the Bulls used to do. Overpay their own role players. (Hinrich, Deng, Noc, the contract offered to BG)
Jealousy is a sickness.......get well soon....
illiance
RealGM
And1: 507

Post#140 » by illiance » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:24 pm

He's overpaid and this is why the league is in such debt. Role players (aka 5th or 6th best players on a good team) should not be making $8 million per year for 5 years. His PER is well below average, his defensive Synergy numbers are average, he can't create his own shot, and he isn't some elite three point shooter. He's a good player, but he's a role player. James Harden is a FA next year and his skillset destroys Afflalo, so you would assume he'd make at least $10 mill per year.

Return to The General Board