Bobcats or Pistons -Who has the brighter future

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Who has the brighter Future

Bobcats
24%
Pistons
76%

Total votes: 154

Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,053

Re: Bobcats or Pistons -Who has the brighter future 

Post#41 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:58 am

" If Bobcats get Anthony Davis - Bobcats
if Bobcats don't get Anthony Davis - Pistons "

^ This

Has to be depressing to know that after this years draft your best player will be Greg Monroe who at best is a 16 and 8 guy. lol
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Mikez1919
Senior
And1: 55

Post#42 » by Mikez1919 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:03 am

Monroe 16 and 8 at best? huh? Hes already a 16 and 10 guy.
LOUiS-D
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,900

Post#43 » by LOUiS-D » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:10 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:Has to be depressing to know that after this years draft your best player will be Greg Monroe who at best is a 16 and 8 guy. lol

Bigs take longer to develop. The closer to the basket you are the more intense the D and the less space you have to work with. I'm not saying beating a guy off the dribble is easy, but in the post you have to fight just to get the ball. 15.6/9.6 on good efficiency as a sophomore is on track to an all-star career.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#44 » by shangrila » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:11 am

Right now it's Detroit, but like people have said that could change if the Bobcats get Davis. They do have the better financial future, but Monroe is already much, much better than anyone the Bobcats have and Knight is a good prospect in his own right.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,682

Post#45 » by KembaWalker » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:19 am

Kemba Walker is a 16 PER player averaging 12.4/3.4/4.4 .9 steal .3 blk 1.8to in 27 minutes

Knight is an 11 PER player averaging 12.4/3.2/3.6 .7stl .2blk 2.5to in 33 minutes

To be fair, Knight does have 2% on him in TS%! lol

really not even comparable players or point guards Kemba is far superior. I would like to have Monroe though
daschysta
Assistant Coach
And1: 349

Post#46 » by daschysta » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:19 am

Pistons and it isn't even close.

Monroe alone makes this an easy choice. He's going to be a star big man in the NBA for years to come ,and once detroit pairs him with a stud defensive frontcourt mate they will be very, very tough.

Now, granted, the Pistons aren't a good team at this moment, but they aren't attrocious either, they've played quite well the second half of the season, racking up some impressive wins even, they are definitely already at the top rung of the bottom dweller tier.

They already have a guy with the potential to be a franchise talent on board (Monroe) who personally i'm not sure will be a "superstar" due to his subpar defense, but certainly perrenial all-star and elite offensive big man I could see 20-22 10-12 3-4 in his future. Noone on the Bobcats currently even sniffs that kind of potential.

Also the pistons are literally better at every single position (prospects/relatively young players)

Knight>Kemba
Stuckey> Henderson
Monroe>Biyombo
Jerebko>TT

Pistons will get a lottery pick too, and unless the cats get Davis it still won't be close. Pistons would still have more talent arguably even if the cats did get Davis, they are that sorry outside of Biyombo everywhere else, though they would finally have that rock to build around that they've lacked.

I wish them luck in getting Davis, because they aren't tanking right now, they really are that bad. They've never had a real player to build around before, it's high time they got one.
KembaWalker
General Manager

Post#47 » by KembaWalker » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:21 am

like I said theres not really anything to say Knight is better than Kemba when Kemba does everything far better than him, even raw statistically in significantly less minutes. Knight has 2% higher TS and thats literally his only advantage. Knight really sucks
daschysta
Assistant Coach

Post#48 » by daschysta » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:22 am

KembaWalker wrote:Kemba Walker is a 16 PER player averaging 12.4/3.4/4.4 .9 steal .3 blk 1.8to in 27 minutes

Knight is an 11 PER player averaging 12.4/3.2/3.6 .7stl .2blk 2.5to in 33 minutes

really not even comparable players or point guards Kemba is far superior. I would like to have Monroe though

Knight is a far better defensive player and PER rewards high volume players that chuck alot in the limited time they get, which describes walker to a T, he's either brave or shameless, but on a team like the bobcats, it's shameless, because the heroics aren't winning any games.
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#49 » by Blkbrd671 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:22 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:" If Bobcats get Anthony Davis - Bobcats
if Bobcats don't get Anthony Davis - Pistons "

^ This

Has to be depressing to know that after this years draft your best player will be Greg Monroe who at best is a 16 and 8 guy. lol

What an idiotic statement.

first what does after this years draft have to do with monroe being our best player? and monroe is a 16 and 10 guy currently, so he's better than best?

Why don't you research and stop using sportscenter as the basis of your arguments
Baren Davids
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#50 » by Baren Davids » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:23 am

daschysta wrote:Pistons and it isn't even close.

Monroe alone makes this an easy choice. He's going to be a star big man in the NBA for years to come ,and once detroit pairs him with a stud defensive frontcourt mate they will be very, very tough.

Now, granted, the Pistons aren't a good team at this moment, but they aren't attrocious either, they've played quite well the second half of the season, racking up some impressive wins even, they are definitely already at the top rung of the bottom dweller tier.

They already have a guy with the potential to be a franchise talent on board (Monroe) who personally i'm not sure will be a "superstar" due to his subpar defense, but certainly perrenial all-star and elite offensive big man I could see 20-22 10-12 3-4 in his future. Noone on the Bobcats currently even sniffs that kind of potential.

Also the pistons are literally better at every single position (prospects/relatively young players)

Knight>Kemba
Stuckey> Henderson
Monroe>Biyombo
Jerebko>TT

Pistons will get a lottery pick too, and unless the cats get Davis it still won't be close. Pistons would still have more talent arguably even if the cats did get Davis, they are that sorry outside of Biyombo everywhere else, though they would finally have that rock to build around that they've lacked.

I wish them luck in getting Davis, because they aren't tanking right now, they really are that bad. They've never had a real player to build around before, it's high time they got one.

Not hating but that roster looks like the definition of a treadmill team for years to come. I think the Pistons need the first overall pick to get over the hump and into contender status.
KembaWalker
General Manager

Post#51 » by KembaWalker » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:24 am

daschysta wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:Kemba Walker is a 16 PER player averaging 12.4/3.4/4.4 .9 steal .3 blk 1.8to in 27 minutes

Knight is a far better defensive player and PER rewards high volume players that chuck alot in the limited time they get, which describes walker to a T, he's either brave or shameless, but on a team like the bobcats, it's shameless, because the heroics aren't winning any games.

Kemba has more defensive win shares than Knight, more steals and blocks in less minutes.
Chucker doesn't really mean much when he gets more assists in less minutes while also getting less turnovers lol. Thats with this crappy roster too.
Archerbro
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,244

Post#52 » by Archerbro » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:25 am

daschysta wrote:

being that PER is based off of efficiency-

I really doubt that,
daschysta
Assistant Coach

Post#53 » by daschysta » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:29 am

Baren Davids wrote:
daschysta wrote:Pistons and it isn't even close.

Knight>Kemba
Stuckey> Henderson
Monroe>Biyombo
Jerebko>TT

Not hating but that roster looks like the definition of a treadmill team for years to come. I think the Pistons need the first overall pick to get over the hump and into contender status.

I'm no pistons fan, so no offense taken. The whole tanking to ever be relevant thing is a bit thin though. You can become a very, very good team without it.

Grizzlies and Pacers are good examples. Grizz don't have any superstar talent, just a deep well oiled roster with great defense and good offense. They have proven capable of competing on even ground with the "superstar" laden Thunder any day. Pacers are 3rd seed in the Eastern Conference and have beaten every single elite team once except for the Spurs, and gave Chicago a scare last year in the playoffs and have radically improved since then.

Having a punchers chance in the playoffs (even as an underdog) is nothing to be ashamed of, and beats years and years of tanking, often to no avail. I can tell you fans of those teams enjoy watching a heck of a lot more than if their teams were bottom feeders for half a decade like the Wolves, Kings, Wizards, raptors, putting all of their hope in lottery luck, often to no avail.
daschysta
Assistant Coach

Post#54 » by daschysta » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:35 am

Archerbro wrote:
daschysta wrote:

being that PER is based off of efficiency-

I really doubt that,

Lastly, PER rewards inefficient shooting. To quote Dave Berri, the author of The Wages of Wins:
"Hollinger argues that each two point field goal made is worth about 1.65 points. A three point field goal made is worth 2.65 points. A missed field goal, though, costs a team 0.72 points. Given these values, with a bit of math we can show that a player will break even on his two point field goal attempts if he hits on 30.4% of these shots. On three pointers the break-even point is 21.4%. If a player exceeds these thresholds, and virtually every NBA player does so with respect to two-point shots, the more he shoots the higher his value in PERs. So a player can be an inefficient scorer and simply inflate his value by taking a large number of shots."

Player efficiency rating is a misleading name. It rewards gross production in limited minutes, hence the sky high pers for many players that don't often play, but happen to be very productive in tiny sample sizes.
KembaWalker
General Manager

Post#55 » by KembaWalker » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:42 am

You're right I guess Kemba Walkers 45% higher PER is totally attributable to his shooting exactly equal amount of raw FGAs per game as Knight at a staggering 2% less TS rate due to a massive glitch in the PER formula.

Probably nothing to do with his far superior stats across the board. Nah that makes no sense. lmao

You have to be kidding
Baren Davids
Banned User

Post#56 » by Baren Davids » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:42 am

Grizzlies and Pacers have flourished with great management as they have made great moves, drafted well and if mistakes were made they were quick to fix them. So ya obviously you don't need to rebuild by being perenial losers, however I see that many teams feel like they need to have a perfect core before they proceed into making a contender. Grizzlies lucked out on Gay in '06 since he shouldn't have fell that far however luck is also a factor in manufacturing a competitive team.

Again it's not always about picking first at the draft. If the Bobcats want to win then drafting Anthony Davis is a start, but it will not be enough. Rich Cho needs to make good decisions from here on out so that they don't end up like the Wizards lol.
daschysta
Assistant Coach

Post#57 » by daschysta » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:44 am

Agreed.

He has a good pedigree, so hopefully they get lucky for once and actually get to pick from the cream of the crop.
hollabackitsobi
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Post#58 » by hollabackitsobi » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:55 am

Brandon Knight/Greg Monroe
Florida Gators & Phoenix Suns

We R Orng (& Blue)
mjthedon11
Sophomore

Post#59 » by mjthedon11 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:07 am

Stun704 wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:Its pistons by far, but if bob cats get anthony davis, it could be up in the air.

How is it the pistons by far? they have nobody but Earl Monroe

LOL, how y'all gonna just let this slide?

I mean, back in the '60s it would have been a great help, but I don't think Earl Monroe is going to put the Pistons over the top in 2012.
willbcocks
Analyst
And1: 143

Post#60 » by willbcocks » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:07 am

My opinion is that both franchises are in bad shape and do not have particularly bright futures. And as a Wizards fan, I have a lot of experience judging teams in bad situations.

Dumars has been an awful GM for years now. Committing all that money to very average players like Prince and Stuckey might look good when you comparing it to committing lots of money to horrible players (CV), but it's a recipe for mediocrity. I like Monroe, but he's not a franchise player, and the rest of the bunch is nothing special. Combine that with all the salary commitments and it doesn't look good.

Charlotte has the worst owner in the league and the least talent in the league. They also have no franchise players, and they don't even have a tier 2 prospect. The best things they have going for them are a chance at Davis and few longterm committments.

While detroit doesn't strike me as a hot destination for free agents, they do have a storied history, decent uniforms, and the "Detroit Basketball" loudspeaker chant. I can't think of anything about Charlotte's franchise history or viewing experience that would excite anyone.

Return to The General Board