yardbarker

New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Thread

Moderators: Morten Jensen, Blame Rasho, Flash3, Doctor MJ, UGA Hayes, Yuri Vaultin, Mark K, NO-KG-AI, magnumt, tsherkin

Post#106 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:15 pm by sportjames23

tsherkin wrote:Lots of people have run into trouble with the new rules, it's not really something appropriate for discussion with other posters, though.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk



LOL, the man ain't joking, right tsherkin? :lol:

Wish I would have paid attention to this thread earlier. :wink:
sportjames23
Bench Warmer
User avatar
Posts: 1,405
And1: 22
Joined: Dec 9, 2011
Top

Post#107 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:17 pm by sportjames23

putyouonthegame wrote:i don't have a problem with rules on a website.

but i always found realgm policies to be on the stricter side. Some of the mods can get power hungry very easily and quickly. Why is that?


http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/abso ... utely.html

*runs out the thread*
sportjames23
Bench Warmer
User avatar
Posts: 1,405
And1: 22
Joined: Dec 9, 2011
Top

Post#108 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:06 pm by BrotherDave

The Forum rules read like the Obamacare Bill. I think it would behoove the board greatly if it was much more concise and less vague. For example, a clear and objective definition of "derailment" would be great b/c mods seem all over the place with what is a derailing post/gif.

Like in terms of gifs, you say you want to put a stop to the "U Mad and the others" but "the others" is pretty open to interpretation.

For example,
I got warned once for posting a gif of Tracy Morgan passionately saying "no" repeatedly. I could have just posted "no, a thousand times no" but I felt like Mr Morgan summed up my opinion better than words could have and much more comically. The mod I quoted (which was really my first mistake b/c you have to really tread softly around mods I have thusly learned) thought I was baiting him and derailing the thread when all I was trying to do was express my disagreement of his opinion in a humorous and accurate fashion.

I honestly couldn't understand the plethora of "violations" he cited me for b/c the rules were so cluttered, vague, and open for interpretation.
I thought Royce White was worth a late 1st round/early 2nd pick by the worst team in NBA history.
BrotherDave




General Manager
User avatar
Posts: 7,990
And1: 1,129
Joined: May 20, 2009
Top

Post#109 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:49 pm by putyouonthegame

this forum has become a joke seriously..

topics getting locked for no reason...trolling on every single post.

and every week, more rules are being enforced..

damn right a joke.
DEEP3CL wrote:All you haters better celebrate now, cause it won't last. When it starts to click this board will be crickets like it was in 2009 and 2010 on a nightly basis.
putyouonthegame
Senior
User avatar
Posts: 669
And1: 20
Joined: Nov 9, 2011
Top

Post#110 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:25 am by tsherkin

Topics do not get locked without reason. The #1 reason a thread gets locked is that it was posted in the wrong forum, usually belonging to the PC Board and rather obviously at that.

Beyond incorrect forum location, the next big one I see is an obvious bait of a fanbase, which is a ne ne on the forums. The GB has a lot of low-quality posters, many of whom are outright trolls there to do nothing but cause trouble, so it should hardly come as a surprise that the rules there are more strict. It is unfortunate that we have to be so aggressive in our approach as mods, since there are plenty of other boards on RealGM where this is not the case, but it is necessary.

Meantime, in response to the Tracy Morgan post, one-off responses like that aren't just breaking GIF policy, they are essentially post pads that do not contribute meaningfully to the conversation. You want to open up with "no, a thousand times no," then that's great, but unless you back it up with substance, you're likely to run into some trouble, at least on the GB.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
DEAN GARRETT!!!
tsherkin
Global Mod
Global Mod
User avatar
Posts: 58,457
And1: 3,996
Joined: Oct 14, 2003
Top

Post#111 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:12 pm by BrotherDave

tsherkin wrote:contribute meaningfully to the conversation.

This is what I'm talking about though. "Meaningfully" (or contribute, for that matter) is extremely subjective in nature. Unless care is taken to delineate what constitutes as meaningful and what is not than you're only going to invite inconsistency because what is a meaningful post to one person isn't meaningful to another. I could go through every other post and report them as non meaningful.

I wholeheartedly applaud an effort to moderate the GB better but I'm concerned that you're wasting your efforts by just building a foundation upon mud.
I thought Royce White was worth a late 1st round/early 2nd pick by the worst team in NBA history.
BrotherDave




General Manager
User avatar
Posts: 7,990
And1: 1,129
Joined: May 20, 2009
Top

Post#112 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:08 am by tsherkin

BrotherDave wrote:This is what I'm talking about though. "Meaningfully" (or contribute, for that matter) is extremely subjective in nature. Unless care is taken to delineate what constitutes as meaningful and what is not than you're only going to invite inconsistency because what is a meaningful post to one person isn't meaningful to another. I could go through every other post and report them as non meaningful.


You're not wrong, there is intentional wiggle room for the moderators so that we can have our policy evolve as necessary. We discuss actions and interpretations regularly, however, so I'd worry more about maintaining decorum than any kind of moderator issues. The GB has become a festering wellspring of foolishness and that is what necessitated this harsh policy. It's not designed to be flowery and pleasant.

Having said that, you also need to understand that if once every now and again you make a one-word post that isn't profane or baiting or whatever, we're not slavering at the end of the leash to get you and it won't lead to Read-Only Access. Unless the poster establishes a habit of chronic derailing and lack of contribution. We're looking to sift problem posters, not casual folks who don't write books with each post.


Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
DEAN GARRETT!!!
tsherkin
Global Mod
Global Mod
User avatar
Posts: 58,457
And1: 3,996
Joined: Oct 14, 2003
Top

Post#113 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:18 am by oaklandwarriors

Instead of locking a thread that's posted in the wrong section why not move it to the other forum and inform the OP that he needs to post it in the correct section. If he does it again (for example making another PC thread on the GB) then you can take further action. I think that would make more sense than just locking threads because they are in the wrong section.
oaklandwarriors


Analyst
User avatar
Posts: 3,742
And1: 476
Joined: May 29, 2011
Top

Post#114 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:22 am by tsherkin

We tried, for years, just moving the threads. We're tired of it, since it did nothing to raise awareness. If people are complaining about it, then they are noticing it, which means we will continue locking threads posted to the incorrect forum.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
DEAN GARRETT!!!
tsherkin
Global Mod
Global Mod
User avatar
Posts: 58,457
And1: 3,996
Joined: Oct 14, 2003
Top

Post#115 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:15 pm by Jase

I think the idea, in theory, is very good. Cleaning up the boards has been years in the making, though I realize also that the Mods have worked hard in that time trying to maintain order and balance. I don't expect these changes to really kick in consistently right away, as most posters have spent years used to the way RealGM "was" run. The biggest problem I see, currently, especially last night (opening night and all) is trolling, and I don't really know how much can be done about that. There is a clear and apparent lack of objectivity ("my fan base is always right, and better than yours, etc.") that opens the door to harsh and volatile responses.

Still, I think the forums are clearly better just by lacking in the "U Mad"-type posts/pics.
"A winner listens. A loser just waits until it's their turn to talk."
Jase
RealGM
User avatar
Posts: 13,054
And1: 148
Joined: Aug 1, 2008
Location: Grand Rapids, MI.
Top

Post#116 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:20 pm by BadMofoPimp

There will always be trolling of some form. It dies down after a few warnings. I remember when similar threads were moved all the time instead of locked. That is much more work and confusing. It is easier for the mods to put in a last post on the thread stating why it is being locked because of a redundant thread so people know why it has happened than to see their thread disappear to another forum or merged with another thread which really confused the heck out of finding my old posts. Mods are doing fine with their resources. If only they could bring back the Search function from our old posts like they had back in the olden days. It was awesome to pull stuff back up to talk trash about years later.
Image

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
User avatar
Posts: 34,416
And1: 3,982
Joined: Oct 12, 2003
Location: In the Paint
Top

Post#117 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Thu Nov 1, 2012 6:33 pm by Sofia

What's the stance on 'blank quoting' to agree with a post? Also, 'lol' posts or just smiley replies?

There still seems to be plenty of these cluttering threads, I thought that was the reason for the introduction of 'and 1'
Image
Sofia
RealGM
User avatar
Posts: 11,025
And1: 3,607
Joined: Aug 3, 2008
Location: Formerly Mats272-Goat until I found Sofia The First...
Top

Post#118 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Fri Nov 2, 2012 12:53 pm by tsherkin

Smiley-only posts should be getting an informal PM reminder, then an official warning, then a 12-hr on repeat offense (and depending on poster history, progression towards longer suspensions/bans for derailing).

We'll have to discuss blank-quoting, but that'd be basically a +1 post-pad, and is frowned upon, in theory.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
DEAN GARRETT!!!
tsherkin
Global Mod
Global Mod
User avatar
Posts: 58,457
And1: 3,996
Joined: Oct 14, 2003
Top

Post#119 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Sun Nov 4, 2012 11:46 pm by Cool_Dude

tsherkin wrote:Smiley-only posts should be getting an informal PM reminder, then an official warning, then a 12-hr on repeat offense (and depending on poster history, progression towards longer suspensions/bans for derailing).

We'll have to discuss blank-quoting, but that'd be basically a +1 post-pad, and is frowned upon, in theory.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk

Wait, so you can't reply with a " :lol: " to a funny post, even in good fun on your own team's board?
Cool_Dude
Junior
Posts: 419
And1: 23
Joined: Jul 22, 2012
Top

Post#120 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Sun Nov 4, 2012 11:59 pm by tsherkin

Cool_Dude wrote:Wait, so you can't reply with a " :lol: " to a funny post, even in good fun on your own team's board?


What? What you do on your own board is between you and the mods local to that board; this thread is about the GenBoard's policy.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
DEAN GARRETT!!!
tsherkin
Global Mod
Global Mod
User avatar
Posts: 58,457
And1: 3,996
Joined: Oct 14, 2003
Top

Post#121 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Mon Nov 5, 2012 12:36 am by Cool_Dude

tsherkin wrote:
Cool_Dude wrote:Wait, so you can't reply with a " :lol: " to a funny post, even in good fun on your own team's board?


What? What you do on your own board is between you and the mods local to that board; this thread is about the GenBoard's policy.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk

Oh, ok never mind.
Cool_Dude
Junior
Posts: 419
And1: 23
Joined: Jul 22, 2012
Top

Post#122 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Tue Nov 6, 2012 12:51 pm by Clyde Frazier

Enjoying my time on the forum so far. I guess i'll have to get used to this whole locking threads thing.

I saw a thread about bosh scoring 40 get locked because it should be discussed in the game day thread. Do all mods agree with this? Seems when a player has a big night, it would be easier to discuss it in its own thread. Otherwise, discussion just gets lost when there were other games played that night.

Just curious.
Clyde Frazier
Veteran
User avatar
Posts: 2,676
And1: 874
Joined: Sep 6, 2010
Top

Post#123 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Tue Nov 6, 2012 12:56 pm by BadMofoPimp

Actually, I slightly agree with Clyde on the Bosh thread. Because, if his big night was discussed for only a page or two of a 30 page thread, then people would have to search through all the pages to find that discussion. It has happened to me before.

On the other hand, Clyde will find that each board is moderated uniquely in that mods on each board have their own ways of moderating. Heck, I had one of my posts disappear by a mod once.

The thing is to not take it personally which some do. When it happens to me, I find it funny and go on with my day.
Image

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
User avatar
Posts: 34,416
And1: 3,982
Joined: Oct 12, 2003
Location: In the Paint
Top

Post#124 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Wed Nov 7, 2012 11:25 pm by UGA Hayes

I think the best way to handle a players individual night is to start a player of the day thread. Unless a game is close to historically good don't start a separate topic on it. There are ten great games a nice, we don't need a separate thread for all of them.
UGA Hayes
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
User avatar
Posts: 13,599
And1: 496
Joined: Jan 5, 2004
Location: real gm
Top

Post#125 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Fri Nov 9, 2012 8:09 pm by Shot Clock

So what's with deleting threads (or moving them to some private forum) solely because some things were said in the thread that turned out wrong. People are always digging up old threads and we laugh at them and ourselves for saying things that seemed reasonable at the time but now look silly.

My guess is this happened solely because a mod was one of the people making such statements. It's really sad if this stuff is going to start here. I've seen other boards fall apart with Mods picking and choosing where to use their magic wand.

There was nothing inflammatory or in any way violating board rules. Just the same funny comments I see people adding to their sigs all the time with no issues.
Shot Clock
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,129
And1: 828
Joined: Aug 20, 2009
Top

PreviousNext

Return to The General Board


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 6rings4LeClutch, a_sensei, adhir, amaenaideyo, ATL Boy, BadWolf, bigfnjoe96, CablexDeadpool, Case2012, CellarDoor, ChicagoMICda59, chuckdevlin, crackalacks, Crose, crossjon, Darkstar77, doogled, edquantum, gotokyo, hardenASG13, HeatWillRise, hellrazor04, hyper316, Ignitowsky, iLLmAtiCiAn, InFlames, inquisitive, Jeremy Lin 7, Jipluralx, John Black, jpengland, Kaioken, Korr, KramerDSP, littlerock2277, misterrunon, ninetythreepts, nivea_, NotaHypeJob, philly5, Pure_Basketball, RaptorNews, Rebel INS, red96, Sadrak, sortpar, Swagalicious, Tamhuynh10, TheAlchemist, TheChosen, tr1986, Usual Suspects, WestCost BBC, Wigginstime, WiggOuts, Woodsanity, XDevilBoiX